Ratzenhoffer Launches Scathing Attack on Beets

Tico

Reply Sun 24 Sep, 2006 10:22 am
Thank you so much, ossobuco -- there will be a little something extra in your Christmas stocking this year.

Joe Nation wrote:
Was I misled by the 'o' at the end of Tico?

Have I not been paying close enough attention?

I guess she can have a 'o' at the end of her name and still be considered fem, but what am I to think of a male who ends his name with an 'a'??

Joe(Nevermind, there's nothing wrong with that either)Nation

*smooches*

Ti (and no need to change your orientation) co
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sun 24 Sep, 2006 11:15 am
Jo, my addiction to candied ginger is by now something undeniable. My wife is concerned that I'm eating too much sugar with the 5 to 7 slices I pop each day. I say I eat them, in addition to a dollop of mustard, because of their anti-inflammatory properties (in the case of mustard it's the tumeric). I AM concerned that I can not counter my health goals by eating too much sugar. BTW, I don't eat desserts.

But then I read Joe Nation's statement that
"Greens...ought to be steamed..and chopped in with some poke salad and wild onions, [then served] next to some sliced beef bar-b-que and a cold beer" (and I would add fried potatoes) and my health concerns go out the window.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 24 Sep, 2006 11:45 am
Well, I've gone mad over a topping I put on fish... it involves chopped onion sauteed in olive oil, with mustard and squeezed lemon and lotsa pepper. Never mind the fish, I could just eat that.

Another thing I started doing with salmon was putting on a topping of butter and sliced ginger root (lots) and basil and lime juice - that's a take off on my ex's pasta dish invention. My point is I don't mind the ginger root itself if sauteed..

Back to greens...
what is poke salad????
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sun 24 Sep, 2006 12:46 pm
Osso, thanks for those sauces--real gifts.
I used to buy poke greens in a can. Havn't found them lately. Stopped looking actually. The same company sold canned spinach, mustard greens, poke/salad greens, and collard greens. All wonderfully healthful and delicious. My memory is vague on "poke salad," but there it is.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sun 24 Sep, 2006 12:54 pm
Aha! I just found a can of cut leaf 'POKE SALET GREENS" produced by The Allen Canning Company of Arkansas (1-800-234-ALLEN). I can tell that it's no good now; the beginning of a leak (ouch!). The can recommends eating the poke greens with scrambled eggs.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 24 Sep, 2006 01:02 pm
New to me...

POKE SALAT

First I'm going to try beet greens...

I think mustard and collard greens would be good with italian pancetta instead of bacon, if only I could find italian pancetta.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Sun 24 Sep, 2006 02:49 pm
What's the problem? You go into your local deli--

http://www.tropicalisland.de/NYC_New_York_Manhattan_Little_Italy_Deli_store.jpg

And you ask them for a pound of this:

http://www.salumicuredmeats.com/products/pancetta.jpg

And you .......

Oh wait, you're not in New York City..

Joe(Nyah, nyah)Nation

PS ---- If you want I'll FedEx some to you.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sun 24 Sep, 2006 07:16 pm
Joe, looks good except for the mouse droppings.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Sun 24 Sep, 2006 07:49 pm
Um peppercorns... JL.... peppercorns

Joe(maybe one dropping)Nation
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 24 Sep, 2006 08:40 pm
Hey, Joe, where you going with that salami in your hand..

One can order from them online, I gather -

http://www.salumicuredmeats.com/

(I haven't checked it all out yet..)
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Sun 24 Sep, 2006 08:42 pm
gawd, did i have to see this? how am i to fall asleep now? i'll dream of italian saussage. i mean pepperoni, the good kind, not what they sell o'er here. and no other saussage either. be damned, joe, be damned.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Sun 24 Sep, 2006 08:48 pm
You're betrothed, daggles. You shouldn't be going to bed thinking about Joe's sausage.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 24 Sep, 2006 08:49 pm
Pah, that's not imported either, though it sounds very good.
I guess there are new government regulations. For a girl who's been to Parma and had Culatello di Zibella, it's hard to put up with.

On the other hand, I saved some article about two weeks ago from the LA Times (I think) about all the new items like lamp prosciutto... by artisan purveyors.

Whatever. I hate the Boar's Head and the Molinari stuff.

signed,
Miss Picky
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sun 24 Sep, 2006 09:07 pm
Lamb prosciotto? Hm, I have never heard that one....
Boar is good though, as are venison and deer.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 24 Sep, 2006 09:10 pm
I meant the brand Boar's Head meats, not cinghiale, wild boar... (but maybe you knew that, CJ, don't mean to be corrective.)
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 24 Sep, 2006 09:17 pm
Here's one page of the article, which goes on for five pages, printed on Aug. 30th, so probably in the have-to-pay archive at the LA Times now.
I won't give a link because it is in my web archive, thus has my name splattered across the URL.

The ABCs of salumi
You've fallen in love with these fabulous cured meats. Now you'll really know them.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 24 Sep, 2006 09:19 pm
Wonder if the Batalis in Seattle (Joe's link) are related to Mario..
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sun 24 Sep, 2006 09:21 pm
ossobuco wrote:
I meant the brand Boar's Head meats, not cinghiale, wild boar... (but maybe you knew that, CJ, don't mean to be corrective.)

No I didn't know, osso. http://www.borge.diesal.de/board02/images/smiles/shameblue.gif
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 24 Sep, 2006 09:26 pm
Mario Batali is mentioned in the article above as restaurant-partnered with Nancy Silverton, probably my favorite bread maker. I see by rereading this that I was wrong to be snotty about ALL US cured meats.
For my penance, I'll have to order some..
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sun 24 Sep, 2006 11:21 pm
Patiodog, I hope that Dag doesn't dream of Joe's sausage, but I pray fervently that I do not do so. Processed meats are full of sodium nitrates--or is that only store-bought ones.
0 Replies