Ratzenhoffer Launches Scathing Attack on Beets

flushd

Reply Sun 24 Sep, 2006 02:04 am
Beets are good. Especially after a nimble-handed Ukrainian woman has done her magic on them.

Beet greens can not even be saved with butter. That there is we-can't-afford-to-eat food.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Sun 24 Sep, 2006 02:50 am
flushd wrote:
Beets are good. Especially after a nimble-handed Ukrainian woman has done her magic on them.

In oz a "root" is sexual congress. ie I'd like to root Green witch, or clamity Jane is a good root.
Also beets are commonly refered to as Beetroot

So whats the difference between a root and a beet

You can root a beet but you cant beat a root!
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Sun 24 Sep, 2006 03:02 am
dadpad wrote:
flushd wrote:

In oz a "root" is sexual congress. ie I'd like to root Green witch, or clamity Jane is a good root.
Also beets are commonly refered to as Beetroot

So whats the difference between a root and a beet

You can root a beet but you cant beat a root!

It must be the isolation that makes OZ-ites talk the way they do. Eh?

Greens, and they ain't no other greens than beet greens, ought to be steamed a little (not boiled to mush) and chopped in with some poke salad and wild onions. Put that right next to some sliced beef bar-b-que and a cold beer and leave me alone with my thoughts.

Joe(I'll have a piece of that peaches pie now)Nation
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sun 24 Sep, 2006 07:00 am
I'm so glad to see at least one person -- Joe Nation, to be exact -- using proper English. It is, indeed, 'peaches pie' and not 'peach pie' as most philistines would have it. Who ever heard of baking a whole pie with just one peach? And while we're on the subject, d'ye realize there's no such word as 'popcorn'? Before it is popped, it is 'popping corn.' After being subjected to intense heat, it becomes 'popped corn.' To quote Mammy Yokum, ah has spoken.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 24 Sep, 2006 07:08 am
I've never tasted beet greens..
like spinach, usually; chard; mustard greens; have liked collard greens; rapini, watercress... what was the question again?

JL, I now harbor three types of ginger in my refrigerator - candied, pickled, and ginger root. It must be truly addictive.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Sun 24 Sep, 2006 07:12 am
Beets, beets, they're good for your heart
The more you eat the more you...

wait, I got the wrong vegetable. Nemmind.
0 Replies

Tico

Reply Sun 24 Sep, 2006 07:17 am
Merry Andrew wrote:
I'm so glad to see at least one person -- Joe Nation, to be exact -- using proper English. It is, indeed, 'peaches pie' and not 'peach pie' as most philistines would have it. Who ever heard of baking a whole pie with just one peach? And while we're on the subject, d'ye realize there's no such word as 'popcorn'? Before it is popped, it is 'popping corn.' After being subjected to intense heat, it becomes 'popped corn.' To quote Mammy Yokum, ah has spoken.

Confused

Do you eat apples pie, blueberries pie and a thousand and one grains of ground cinnamon sticky buns? Had I ever made any effort to think of this before, I would have thought that peach (or any key ingredient) was descriptive, not literal. It must take you forever to ask for stew.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Sun 24 Sep, 2006 07:27 am
Tico,,he funny..he crack me.

Joe(to say nothing of pizza)Nation
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 24 Sep, 2006 07:36 am
Quote:
Ratzenhoffer lauches scathing attack on beets.

Ratzenhoffer (and anyone else interested) should read Jitterbug Perfume, by Tom Robbins.

[url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jitterbug_Perfume][b]The Wikipedia Article[/b][/url] wrote:
The major themes of the book include the strive for immortality, the meaning behind the sense of smell, individual expression, self-reliance, sex, love, and religion. Beets and the god Pan figure prominently

Tom Robbins is best know for Even Cowgirls Get the Blues and Still Life with Woodpecker. Although a cult classic with hippies in the 70s, Cowgirls became popular again almost 20 years after it was written, after being made into a motion picture.

Jitterbug Perfume is a silly, silly novel. I highly recommend it as very entertaining.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 24 Sep, 2006 07:39 am
Joe Nation wrote:

Does she know you think he's funny?
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sun 24 Sep, 2006 08:03 am
Edgar
edgarblythe wrote:
My mom had a way of canning beets I've never seen duplicated. The canned grocery store atrocities are in another category altogether. Hers had an earthy flavor and are only slightly reminiscent of pickled beets. I haven't had one of in about fifty years, and I still can almost taste them.

Edgar, could this recipe be similar to your mom's method? It uses herbs instead of pickling spices.

BBB

ROASTED BABY BEETS AND SAUTEED BEET GREENS

Take 3 bunches of baby beets with tops; washed well. Cut off the tops and reserve.

Place the beets in a roasting pan; toss with olive oil and add rosemary sprigs. Roast at 375 degrees for about 30 minutes. Remove the beet skins while warm; then cut beets in half.

Meanwhile saute the beet greens in olive oil and add a splash of balsamic vinegar. Season with salt and pepper and place on a serving plate; top with baby beets.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Sun 24 Sep, 2006 08:37 am
Setanta wrote:
Joe Nation wrote:

Does she know you think he's funny?

Have I made what my first ex-mother-in-law called a fox paw?

Was I misled by the 'o' at the end of Tico?

Have I not been paying close enough attention?

I guess she can have a 'o' at the end of her name and still be considered fem, but what am I to think of a male who ends his name with an 'a'??

Joe(Nevermind, there's nothing wrong with that either)Nation
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 24 Sep, 2006 08:47 am
Tico is a woman, a bright and funny one too..

not the same poster as Ticomaya, who is often called Tico.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 24 Sep, 2006 08:56 am
Re: Edgar
BumbleBeeBoogie wrote:
edgarblythe wrote:
My mom had a way of canning beets I've never seen duplicated. The canned grocery store atrocities are in another category altogether. Hers had an earthy flavor and are only slightly reminiscent of pickled beets. I haven't had one of in about fifty years, and I still can almost taste them.

Edgar, could this recipe be similar to your mom's method? It uses herbs instead of pickling spices.

BBB

ROASTED BABY BEETS AND SAUTEED BEET GREENS

Take 3 bunches of baby beets with tops; washed well. Cut off the tops and reserve.

Place the beets in a roasting pan; toss with olive oil and add rosemary sprigs. Roast at 375 degrees for about 30 minutes. Remove the beet skins while warm; then cut beets in half.

Meanwhile saute the beet greens in olive oil and add a splash of balsamic vinegar. Season with salt and pepper and place on a serving plate; top with baby beets.

I don't know much about it, BBB, except I am certain our wood burner stove had no oven.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Sun 24 Sep, 2006 09:30 am
It didn't? Where did your mom roast anything? Or make a pie? or bake bread? Heavens to Betsy..
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Sun 24 Sep, 2006 09:32 am
mmmm, dutch oven...
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 24 Sep, 2006 09:44 am
You gotta have ingredients for those things before you can make them, even if you actually do own an oven.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Sun 24 Sep, 2006 09:49 am
My grandmother Jeffries' stove looked like this:

http://www.antiquestoves.com/woodcookstove/images/monarch/DSCF0004.jpg

While the chickens stewed atop, the pie baked below. I got to spoon the biscuit mix onto the bubbling brew to make the dumplings.

First though, I had to fill the wood box to overflowing.

Joe(the farm was in Lebannon, Conn)Nation
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 24 Sep, 2006 09:59 am
I made a brief search and failed to find a pic of the style stove my Mom used. It was bigger than your normal box stove, but not fancy looking like that one.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 24 Sep, 2006 10:13 am
Miss Olga is my favorite Ukrainian witch . . . we should find out what she does with beets . . .
0 Replies