Temporary partial loss of vision

McTag

Reply Fri 6 Jun, 2003 04:04 pm
I had an unpleasant experience yesterday. Working at my computer (a laptop) I realised I had partially lost vision in my right eye. There seemed to be a blurry area (quite like pixel blurring on a TV screen) in the centre of my vision. I stopped working, sat for a while, then went outside for a walk. The blurry area moved from centre-spot to the top portion of my vision after a while, and in about a half hour it had faded and gone.
There was no pain, and no bloodshot condition of the eyeball.

Today everything seems to be normal again.
What do you think that was?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 6,286 • Replies: 43
No top replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 6 Jun, 2003 04:07 pm
It's probably not serious, but you should consult with an ophthalmologist anyway to be on the safe side. No use gambling with your eyesight. If you like, I can ask my brother who is a ophthalmologist. Good luck! c.i.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 6 Jun, 2003 04:17 pm
i would have your physician consulted and your BP taken, could be nothing as ci said but , in case its something related to the cV system you should be taking a prophylaxis like aspirin.
im gonna be 53 in a few weeks and I take an aspirin a day just to keep my blood like teflon.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 6 Jun, 2003 04:27 pm
I also take baby aspirin every day. c.i.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 6 Jun, 2003 05:04 pm
Sounds like you had a TIA -- a mini stroke.

It is something that should be discussed with a physician -- and you really should do it immediately.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 6 Jun, 2003 05:04 pm
I had one myself -- almost identical to what you described.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 6 Jun, 2003 05:09 pm
McTag- Have it checked out by an MD. I would suggest that you go as soon as possible. You don't want to fool around with something like you described. If it was a TIA, sometimes it is a precursor to a full blown stroke. In the meantime, as others have mentioned, take a baby aspirin every day. It keeps the blood thinned, and may prevent another episode!

0 Replies

au1929

Reply Fri 6 Jun, 2003 05:36 pm
I agree with Frank it could well be a mini stroke not uncommon. Run do not walk to an ophthalmologist and have it checked out..
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Fri 6 Jun, 2003 05:43 pm
McTag

Dont wish to sound alarmist but you should see the quack NOW

Could be nothing, or it could be (I'm guessing of course) a detached retina, in which case it needs fixing quick.

But no problem, its when your brain becomes detached, thats awkward.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 6 Jun, 2003 05:48 pm
Steve, I don't think they have corrective surgery for a detached brain. I know; I've tried. Wink c.i.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Fri 6 Jun, 2003 06:08 pm
c.i.

I think we all suffer that at times! lol
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Fri 6 Jun, 2003 06:53 pm
ASPERIN : just watched a medical report on the benefits of asperin as a CANCER PREVENTATIVE (recent cbc health info). a/t the report a recent study re. asperin and prevention/reduction of colon cancer was discontinued and the study participants on placebo were offerred asperin because researchers felt they could not in good conscience keep the preliminary results of the study from the placebo participants, because study showed marked reduction in colon cancer by asperin users. of course, not everyone can tolerate asperin. i usually take one or two 325mg asperins(coated) WITH FOOD to keep arthritis in check; i've gone to 6 to 8 a day when i have had a nasty flare-up(usually no more than 3 to 5 days). i've discussed it with my physician and he approves of it - but advised me to be sure NOT to overdose and return to 1 or 2 as soon as possible. i've done this for quite a few years, SO FAR without side effect. hbg
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Fri 6 Jun, 2003 06:55 pm
oh, oh ! first side-effect has just shown up ! can't spell ASPERIN properly ! must consult physician. hbg
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 6 Jun, 2003 06:59 pm
hbg, They have surgery to correct that malady. LOL Wink c.i.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 7 Jun, 2003 04:39 am
YEP, HBG YOU NEED A RADICAL LEXOMECTOMY
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Sat 7 Jun, 2003 06:08 am
Thanks to contributors for all advices, gratefully received.

I am now taking this a bit more seriously, have taken aspirin and will see the quack on Tuesday (hey, that's quick for round here!)

Cheers,

McT
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Sat 7 Jun, 2003 07:48 am
McTag - Do you have any isues with blood sugar levels? The mini-stroke thing is a possibilty but this is also something that happens to diabetics when their blood suger gets to high or to low.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 7 Jun, 2003 08:30 am
McTag- Let us know how it works out!
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 7 Jun, 2003 12:00 pm
McTag, Was really glad to hear you're taking action to make sure you're okay. The quack might even give you good news, then you'll proceed with your life with less stress. That in of itself is worth the visit. c.i.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Sun 8 Jun, 2003 03:30 pm
Thanks again guys.
Yes fishin', I think my blood sugar level is on the high side, and my energy levels are generally low..
Onset of diabetes has crossed my mind.
I'll ask the doctor to check it again- in fact I'll book in for a thorough check-up.
Thanks for all your concern and sage advices.

Good health!
0 Replies