Front load washing machines: worth the extra cost?

Quiver of Arrows

Reply Tue 24 Apr, 2007 08:58 am
Thank you and I'll ask the repairman about the rubber ring. I really do appreciate y'all taking the time to give me tips. No offense taken at all about the products. You probably own a Bosch. I don't recall if that is in an earlier post.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 24 Apr, 2007 08:59 am
Quiver of Arrows wrote:
You probably own a Bosch.

Miele. :wink:
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Tue 24 Apr, 2007 09:20 am
Yes, I have a Miele, and it wasn't cheap, so that's why I researched
all washing machines very carefully before buying, and aside from Bosch,
none of the Americans had the quality and warranty offered in the same
price category.

Quiver, try to get a repairman who also services Miele machines,
they would be more willing to fit you with a rubber ring that is superior
in quality, and also have everything plastic (inside the machine itself)
replaced.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Tue 24 Apr, 2007 09:37 am
Hey QoA, welcome to A2K and thanks a bunch for that link!

I have a Kenmore now that I bought after reading the Consumer Reports article that was posted here.

I have had that bleached out spotting problem that your link talks about. The textiles people really shined some light on that! I had noticed that when there were bubbles left around the ring after washing was when I noticed spotting so I'm going to seriously cut down on the amount of detergent I'm using.

I haven't had the other problems (I took the advice of these posters and always leave the door open when not in use) but after reading your link I did pull out the dispenser tray and discover a bit of mold. You solved a problem I didn't know that I had! My son has asthma and we live in a wet climate so the mold battle is a big one.

Thanks so much!

Sorry I'm not any help for your problem though.
0 Replies

Quiver of Arrows

Reply Tue 24 Apr, 2007 09:59 am
Hi Boomerang! I'm glad I was able to help someone and thank you for the welcome. :-) I just doublechecked my dispenser try this morning and checked the ring again but that is what drives me crazy...I see no mold but I smell it. Granted I'm a sniffer and am one of those people that first notice an odd smell but it is very noticeable to others and not just me.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 24 Apr, 2007 11:10 am
I have trouble with a musty smell in an old top-laoding washing machine.

I've tried all of the standard clean-it-out tips--and didn't solve the problem.

Now after I unload a batch of wash, I sprinkle 1/4 cup of baking soda into the washtub.

No more odor--and the cleaning power of my detergent is boosted so I need less.
0 Replies

th144646

Reply Fri 31 Aug, 2007 04:32 pm
Front Loading washing machines
Yeah, my husband is a religious CR reader/follower. Take my advice and Please skip Sears Kenmore HE front loading washing machines. Ours smelled of mildew constantly("keep the door open"..."run bleach through it"... we did all that), had a lot of vibration, and loud noise that increased over time. I'm using the past tense because for the past 5 weeks it's been perfectly silent -- it's broken down. First we had trouble getting a Sears repairman out to fix it. We finally gave up on that and have been trying to work with a local repairman, but he can't get the part we need. So we have a machine that cost nearly $1000, it does nothing but take up space, and for 5 weeks now we have driven our clothes to the laundromat.
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Fri 31 Aug, 2007 08:20 pm
My Maytag Neptune died again. We replaced it with a top loader, another Maytag, a much cheaper model. It will probably last 20 years. If it doesn't I'm not out that much.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Fri 31 Aug, 2007 08:50 pm
All this is reassuring to me that I bought the right washing machine.
It's been running for 10 years without any problems whatsoever.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 31 Aug, 2007 10:18 pm
Mother's Miele is working for at east 30 years by now ...

There's just now a test in the magazine of our independent consumre/testin organisation: no toploader at all in the test, Miele best product again.
0 Replies

snickerdoodle63

Reply Wed 26 Dec, 2007 02:26 am
Another approach to the front vs top loader debate
I don't really understand why boomerang's top loader 'stinks' - is it because it is a top loader, or there is something mechanically wrong with it, or that boomerang may be completely clueless when it comes to using a top loader?

I've skimmed over a bit that was written here about what type of washer is best. I am glad that many people are very happy with their front loaders, but find many of the comments regarding top loaders completely false and misleading.

I have found that available (supposedly qualified) information on front vs top loaders regarding wash/rinse performance, energy/water consumption, cost savings and environemental issues, is incomplete, contradictory, largely anecdotal and pretty much inconclusive. Hence, consumers researching this issue end up with a lot of misinformation and false expectations.

I have chanced accross one website, which, compared to all the other sites, appears far more objective in its approach to the front vs top loader issue. For anyone interested go to this link and have a look:

http://www.lanfaxlabs.com.au/washing_machines.htm

In my opinion, I find their take on this topic very much on the money. See what you think.

Cheers

snickdoo63
0 Replies