Front load washing machines: worth the extra cost?

Reply Wed 13 Sep, 2006 02:45 pm
I am doing some preliminary research on washers and dryers because mine stink. No, they don't smell bad, they just stink.

I'm thinking those front load washers look pretty dandy in that you don't have to worry about the load getting lopsided and I'm thinking they might hold more and I'm thinking that it is that stupid agitator belt or whatever you call it that stinks most of all since it is always stinking to high heaven.

The front loader ones are quite a bit more expensive though and I'm just wondering if it's worth it.

Anybody know?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 20,289 • Replies: 70
No top replies

blacksmithn

Reply Wed 13 Sep, 2006 02:53 pm
I don't know, but they sure look cool. They've got a snazzy red matched set at Home Depot that I'm coveting, not the least because they advertise that they hold three loads at a time. Of course, it's a couple thou for the washer and dryer, so my coveting will have to remain from afar for now.

I've also got my eye on that Maytag "french door" refrigerator with the ice/water thru the door, but that's another $2500 or so!

I hate it when my material lusts outstrip my earning capacity...
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Wed 13 Sep, 2006 02:53 pm
I just , I mean JUST went through this very same issue, and am currently waiting on my washer to arrive.

I ultimately ended up buying a top loader because I can not afford a front loader.

but what I learned was that they use only a slightly LOWER amount of water then top loaders .
And that 'savings' is rather small on a normal water bill.

The electricity they use is significantly less, but above all else ( MIL has a front loader) we save EVERY SINGLE MONTH on laundry detergent.

Period.

Because the clothes fall into the water instead of sitting in the water rolling over in it, for some reason the soap seems to be dispersed better if that makes sense.

The front loader, I can use less then 1/2 the recommended amount of Tide on a full load and still have perfectly clean clothes.

If I stayed on top of my laundry like a respectful housewife, I would do one 3/4 full load a day.

With tide being 12.00$ + , that is a significant savings that I can see add up quicker then the water bill.

Same for fabric softener. less then 1/2 the cup for a full load and it still works perfectly.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 13 Sep, 2006 03:01 pm
My daughter-in-law saved pennies for three years to buy herself a front loading washer. Front loading washers are much better for the environment.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Wed 13 Sep, 2006 03:15 pm
I get clean clothes with half as much soap, too, but then I'm not a smelly dog....
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 13 Sep, 2006 03:23 pm
AND they are much less harsh on clothes.

Mine uses very little water (has next to top possible rating).

I wouldn't go back.

The only drawback I have found is that you cannot interrupt it to put something you forgot in.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Wed 13 Sep, 2006 03:25 pm
boom...like the others, I've heard they really are better...

this is what I've done when I want to look up an appliance.

you can either go on Consumer Reports and figure out which of their issues covered that subject. Then, instead of having to subscribe, go to the library and look in the past issues, they always have several years worth.

That's where I learned that all that talk about mattress (unless it's a REALLY) cheap one, is just a bunch of hype....saved me hundreds on $'s and we got a great bed.
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Wed 13 Sep, 2006 03:27 pm
Re: Front load washing machines: worth the extra cost?
boomerang wrote:
I am doing some preliminary research on washers and dryers because mine stink. No, they don't smell bad, they just stink.

I'm thinking those front load washers look pretty dandy in that you don't have to worry about the load getting lopsided and I'm thinking they might hold more and I'm thinking that it is that stupid agitator belt or whatever you call it that stinks most of all since it is always stinking to high heaven.

The front loader ones are quite a bit more expensive though and I'm just wondering if it's worth it.

Anybody know?

I've got a question about your type of machine, boomer....don't you find that they stink?
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Wed 13 Sep, 2006 03:42 pm
I have had my Frigidaire frontloader for about 10 years and it has been excellent.
It's not the fancy version with all of the whistles and bells I see today.
The price was just slightly more than a standard at the time.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 13 Sep, 2006 05:10 pm
Oh my. It is unanamyous!

I think I will concentrate on the front loader then, they sound like they offer a lot of benefits.

Anyone have a brand/model recommendation?

I used to subscribe to consumer reports and looked at them before every decision. I believe they have an online version that you can search through for a fee. That might be worthwhile in this instance - getting the latest and greatest information.

Thank you all! I really do appreciate it.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 13 Sep, 2006 05:33 pm
boomerang wrote:
Oh my. It is unanamyous!

I think I will concentrate on the front loader then, they sound like they offer a lot of benefits.

I used to subscribe to consumer reports and looked at them before every decision. I believe they have an online version that you can search through for a fee. That might be worthwhile in this instance - getting the latest and greatest information.

Thank you all! I really do appreciate it.

Maytag is a well regarded (and expensive..wait for sales?) brand, I believe...as is Kleenmaid.

I have an Australian made washer, which is great, but not one you could get.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Wed 13 Sep, 2006 06:08 pm
I have my front loader for about 10 years too, and I wouldn't trade
for anything else.

I have a Miele washer/dryer - not the cheapest but it comes with a 20 year warranty and so far never had a problem. All parts are stainless steel (which is important when you live as close to the ocean as I am).
Plus the machine is heating up the water to whatever setting I change it to.

Bosch has also excellent reviews.
0 Replies

mckenzie

Reply Wed 13 Sep, 2006 06:45 pm
Boomerang, if you've decided on a front-loading machine, Consumer Reports' latest ratings, highest to lowest, and average prices are as follows:

LG Tromm SteamWasher WM2688HNM - $1600
* Kenmore Sears Elite HE4t 4509 - $1500
Whirlpool Duet HT GHW9400PW - $1300
Frididaire LTF2940ES (Loews) - $750
Kenmore Elite HE345862 - $1100
Maytag Neptune MAH8700A - $1100
Samsung Silvercare WF316LAW - $1200
Bosch Nexxt Premium WFMC6400UC - $1350
LG W1814CW - $800
Siemens UltraSense WFXD5200UC - $1000
* Whirlpool Duet GHW9150PW - $1100
LG WM2277HW - $1100
Maytag Neptune MAH9700SW - $1300
Frigidaire FTF2140ES - $700
GE WBVH6240FWW - $900
* Kenmore HE2 46462, (a Consumer Reports Best Buy) - $850

(And still more, but ...)
0 Replies

mckenzie

Reply Wed 13 Sep, 2006 06:50 pm
A quote from Consumer Reports:

The models with the asterisks are CR's Quick Picks

For more performance and efficiency:

• Kenmore (Sears) HE2 4646[2] , $850, CR Best Buy
• Whirlpool Duet GHW9150P[W] , $1100
• Kenmore (Sears) Elite HE3 4586[2] , $1100

These front-loaders cost less than most. The Kenmore (Sears) Elite HE3 4586[2] and Whirlpool Duet GHW9150P[W] share a similar design. The CR Best Buy Kenmore (Sears) HE2 4646[2] has slightly less capacity than the other two, but this model is among the lowest-priced front-loaders. Matching dryers: Kenmore HE4 8586[ ], $930; Whirlpool Duet GEW9250P[ ], $800; Kenmore HE2 8656[ ], $800.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Wed 13 Sep, 2006 07:23 pm
boomerang wrote:

LE
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Thu 14 Sep, 2006 06:07 am
We have a Kenmore front-loader(I can't find the model number) we like it very much. It was under $1,000.
0 Replies

Bohne

Reply Thu 14 Sep, 2006 06:25 am
Out of all the people I know, only one has a top loader...
Since my dryer is on top of the washer, front loading is quite handy...
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Thu 14 Sep, 2006 06:34 am
I'll be the lone descenter. I was unfortunate enough to buy one of the first generation Maytag Neptune front-loaders. I hate it. there was even a class action lawsuit over it. The machine had to be repaired quite often..expensive repairs. It is prone to mold and litterally stinks. They settled the class action suit by sending us all certificates for new Maytag appliances. No thank you. At any rate, Maytag was bought out by Whirlpool. They promptly closed the Maytag plant in Newton, Iowa, putting thousands out of work.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Thu 14 Sep, 2006 06:37 am
Bohne wrote:
Out of all the people I know, only one has a top loader...
Since my dryer is on top of the washer, front loading is quite handy...

As an aside, the amount of detergent used in a front loader is quite remarkable. When we first got our front loader I was doing a load of wash and used the "recommended" amount of detergent which resulted in having to call the service repair because the machine was over-loaded with detergent and the repair person told me to use about 1 tablespoon rather than the recommended 1/4 cup. Also of note is that the spin cycle really does spin the rinse water out of the load of wash resulting in minimal use of the dryer.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 14 Sep, 2006 07:07 am
Wow mckenzie, thanks!

It looks like Kenmore ranks right up there and their prices are good. I'll have to check Sears for sure. Between CRs recommendation and dys' real world experience I think that might be a good pick.

Thanks for dissent, Swimpy. Getting a coupon for a free washer and saying "no thanks" is a real testement to your experience. Interesting that Maytag Neptune made it to the CR list (at number 6). How long ago was it that you bought the washer?
0 Replies