Able2Know Cookbook Recipe Contest

JerryR

Fri 6 Jun, 2003 12:45 pm
Hi Everyone,

We are putting together a cookbook which will be made available on the site.

It would be nice to have recipes contributed by all of you!

To make it a little more fun, let?s turn it into a recipe contest.

Here?s the plan:

The book will be separated into the following categories:
Cocktails and Beverages, Appetizers, Salads, Soups, Side Dishes, Rice and Pasta, Main Dishes (Meat, Fish, and Vegetarian), Desserts, Breads and Muffins.

There will be a winner selected from each of the nine categories. The winners recipes will be featured prominently in the cookbook.(maybe a ?Contest Winners? category in the finished book, maybe featured prominently in their respective chapters,?It will depend on the final layout of the book.).

The contest begins now, the deadline for submissions is midnight, August 31, 2003. EXTENDED TO SEPT. 30, 2003
Final judging polls will be posted on Friday, October 3, 2003, polls will close at midnight on Friday, October 10, 2003.
Winners will be posted on Saturday, October 11, 2003.

Cavfanciar and JerryR will narrow each category down to ten submissions, then post each category as a poll for all members to decide the ultimate winner.
As an added incentive, we in the Food and Drink Forum,?and this has absolutely no connection to A2K, are offering a bottle of champagne (Veuve Clicquot, NV) to the winner of each category. (Of course you must be of legal drinking age to receive this prize, if you aren?t we?ll offer a suitable substitution). Drunk

Here are the rules:
1. You MUST be a member of A2K to win,..which is easy, cause anyone can join!
2. You must agree that any submission made to this thread may be used in our book.
3. Cavfanciar and JerryR are to remain impartial judges, therefore we are not eligible for the contest (though I?m sure we?ll submit some recipes). The competition is open to All other A2K members and staff.
4. You may submit as many recipes as you?d like, but only one recipe (your best entry) per member, will be eligible as a finalist in each category.
5. Each entry must be submitted as it's own topic in the Food and Drink Forum , for example, here's a title:

"Recipe Contest Entry, Appetizers, Mom's Brownies"

PLEASE DO NOT POST YOUR RECIPES TO THIS THREAD

That?s it,?easy, huh? Very Happy

Here are some tips:
Original recipes, or your ?adaptation? of a recipe will work best.
Family recipes are a great resource.
Simple preparations are a plus, we want everybody to be able to make these dishes.
Each recipe will be judged on its individual merit, in other words, a recipe for really great brownies has as much chance of winning as a recipe for a much more complicated pastry.

Let the games begin!!

(Oh, and please make sure to designate the category for each of your recipes, as some dishes can fit into multiple categories :wink: )

Good Luck!!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 18,571 • Replies: 149
Topic Closed
No top replies

husker

Fri 6 Jun, 2003 01:10 pm
Great Idea!!!!
0 Replies

fishin

Fri 6 Jun, 2003 01:49 pm
Smile A quick question for you Jerry! Will you judges actually be making these recipies as a part of the judging or is it stricly based on what you think it will come out like based on the ingredients/prep instructions?

(I do have one or 2 recipies I'm willing to throw into the hat.. Wink )
0 Replies

JerryR

Fri 6 Jun, 2003 01:55 pm
Thanks Husker! Very Happy

Hiya Fishin!,...Good Question, I 'm planning on testing as many of the recipes as possible,..it'll depend on the amount of submissions. Very Happy
0 Replies

JerryR

Fri 6 Jun, 2003 01:56 pm
Fishin,....LLLOOOVVVEE your new avatar!!! Laughing
0 Replies

cavfancier

Fri 6 Jun, 2003 02:07 pm
fishin, love the new avatar as well! I think that if we get a ton of submissions, they can be judged on the merits of the ingredients, and the proportions. If we test them all, we will put our own spin on them, so that might be unfair. I think we should judge on the recipes alone, just as written. Jerry?
0 Replies

JerryR

Fri 6 Jun, 2003 02:46 pm
Well,
I've already warned the family I work for, that their going to be guineau pigs for the next few months, so I think that we'll be able to test almost all of them! Laughing
0 Replies

fishin

Fri 6 Jun, 2003 02:52 pm
Would my fried twinkies recipie go under "Breads and Muffins" or "desserts"? Very Happy
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Fri 6 Jun, 2003 02:54 pm
It should have it's own category: "State Fair Food".
0 Replies

JerryR

Fri 6 Jun, 2003 02:58 pm
Duh,..cream filling = dessert,...helloooo!! Laughing
0 Replies

JerryR

Fri 6 Jun, 2003 05:08 pm
I spoke with Cav,..and we're going to try to test all of the recipes. Very Happy
0 Replies

cavfancier

Fri 6 Jun, 2003 09:24 pm
We can accept fishin's recipe if he can prove that twinkies are really food...
0 Replies

ossobuco

Fri 6 Jun, 2003 09:44 pm
Great idea!
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Sat 7 Jun, 2003 12:52 am
Craven
Craven, I've already posted lots of recipes on this food thread. I assume you want my category choice reposted under this new topic? Is this correct?

BumbleBeeBoogie
0 Replies

JerryR

Sat 7 Jun, 2003 04:34 am
BBB, you may post a link to the recipes you'd like to enter, just make sure to label each link as to the category you'd loke it entered for.
0 Replies

SealPoet

Sat 7 Jun, 2003 04:53 am
JerryR wrote:
Well,
I've already warned the family I work for, that their going to be guineau pigs for the next few months, so I think that we'll be able to test almost all of them! Laughing

Used to know Jasper White and his family. He's got a son the same age as mine who said that it actually got kinda dull around their house when Jasper was writing a cookbook on lobster.

'Hi Dad, I'm home. What kind of lobster for dinner tonight?'

PS. If I submit a recipe, it won't be lobster... giant oceanic cockroaches...
0 Replies

Swimpy

Sat 7 Jun, 2003 08:02 am
Yea, but as cockroaches go, they're pretty tasty.

JerryR, I'm assuming you want recipes sent to you via private message. Correct?
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Sat 7 Jun, 2003 08:14 am
sending recipes
Swimpy, good question.

BumbleBeeBoogie
0 Replies

JerryR

Sat 7 Jun, 2003 08:16 am
Damn, I love those roaches! Laughing

Hiya Swimpy!!

I'm going to try to clarify this, as it "evolved" as I was posting this yesterday.

Each recipe should be posted as it's own thread in the food and drink forum.

One of the ideas is to broaden the links with the search engines, like google, the more individual, different posts, the more they show up for specific searches,..hopefully helping A2K to grow.

I'm going to post a link to a sample,..hope this helps!!

You may also post a link on this thread, to any of your previously posted recipes that you'd like considered.
0 Replies

JerryR

Sat 7 Jun, 2003 08:20 am
Here's a sample:

Sample Entry
0 Replies