The "Charlie Card" and Disease?

Miller

Reply Wed 13 Sep, 2006 09:51 am
If you live in the Boston area, then without a doubt you're familar with what is called "The Charlie Card", a card used for public transportation ( subway ) in the Boston area.

I used this system, yesterday for the very first time and was surprised that part of this system makes use of a "TOUCH SCREEN" to access information and to eventually get your ticket to ride the T.

If you've used this system, have you ever wondered how many billions of bacteria and other micro-organisms are beng spread throughout the system, via human finger interaction with the "TOUCH SCREEN"?

Should Bostonians now be required to outfit themselves with rubber gloves prior to riding the subway and utilizing the Charlie System and it's TOUCH SCREEN?

Can you imagine future flu seasons, after millions of filthy fingers have touched their mouths, noses, etc...and then the "SCREEN?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,418 • Replies: 31
No top replies

ebrown p

Reply Wed 13 Sep, 2006 09:55 am
I am not usually neurotic in this way... but I had the same thought the other day. The touchscreen at the station near my house was pretty disgusting... you could see the grease smears from the fingers of a thousand commuters.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Wed 13 Sep, 2006 09:57 am
I used the system at Central Square and I'm still in a state of shock. In the Winter most riders will be wearing gloves, but in the Summer, who wears gloves to ride the T?
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 13 Sep, 2006 10:44 am
No different than using an ATM in my opinion - hate touching those things. Also the whole T system is bacterial trap. From holding onto the poles for support, to some bozo standing in front of you sneezing and coughing and not covering his mouth. Since I started driving, my colds have decreased substantially. I suggest not touching any part of your face until you reach home or work and immediately washing your hands. Also, carry some antibacterial wipes or lotion so you can eradicate your body from these diseased ridden areas.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Wed 13 Sep, 2006 10:52 am
I'm not in Boston, but my strategy is to wallow in as much bacteria as possible so that my immune system has something to do. Have you ever seen a bored immune system? I tell you, it's something to avoid.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Wed 13 Sep, 2006 10:57 am
Yeah FreeDuck, you are absolutely correct.

<<ebrown steps out to lick the touchscreen>>
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Wed 13 Sep, 2006 11:28 am
Don't forget to rub up against smelly strangers!
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Wed 13 Sep, 2006 02:15 pm
FreeDuck wrote:
I'm not in Boston, but my strategy is to wallow in as much bacteria as possible so that my immune system has something to do. Have you ever seen a bored immune system? I tell you, it's something to avoid.

What's so attractive about pus?
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Wed 13 Sep, 2006 02:32 pm
I have to agree with you miller. It only takes one Typhoid Mary.

Just because some don't mind touching all kinds of nasty stuff, doesn't mean that you have to follow suit.

Yes, humans are marvelous organisms designed to great immune systems. That doesn't give you carte blanche to touch everyones body excretions.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Wed 13 Sep, 2006 02:35 pm
Miller wrote:

it comes in pretty shades of yellow and green

almost pastel in the right light...
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Wed 13 Sep, 2006 02:36 pm
shewolfnm wrote:
Miller wrote:

it comes in pretty shades of yellow and green

almost pastel in the right light...

you're a numbskull
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Wed 13 Sep, 2006 02:41 pm
Chai Tea wrote:

The good thing about the really scary diseases is that they dont survive that long outside the body.

Truthfully, someone with TB could touch that screen.

Actually.. let me get a bit nastier..

I have TB.
I am next in line.

I sneeze on my hand, and leave a good amount of spit on my index finger.

I move up in the line, do my business and dont wipe my finger.

I actually LEAVE spit on the touch screen.

Next person comes up, and touches the screen.

does their business and leaves..

2, 3 , 4 , -20 people later.. they are all touching the screen right in the exact same place I did with bare fingers.

You know the odds of someone catching TB that way?

1-1000

And that 1 has to have -

1) an open sore on their finger

2) If no open sore, has to immediately touch their mouth , eye, nose or some other open warm wet part of their body with the same finger in a matter of seconds after contact.

Most communicable , and I say MOST for a reason..
most of them do not survive outside the body for very long.
They require a 90degree, warm wet environment to survive.

ANd I guarantee you that touch screen isn't 90 degrees..

In the scenario I laid out, the person standing right behind me would have had to been a type of person to STILL touch the screen with visible spit on it, NOT wipe their hands the minute they felt spit if they truthfully didn't see it, and with in less then a minute after using the screen, had to commence booger picking themselves.. or sucking on their finger.

ok ok

i will quit rambling.

Yes a touch pad is a bit dangerous

Pull out the gloves?

nah
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Wed 13 Sep, 2006 02:42 pm
fart knocker
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 13 Sep, 2006 02:53 pm
Shewolfnm is right - bacteria can be quite beautiful with lots of different colors like this thermophile I recently saw at Yellowstone.

http://www.yellowstone.net/geysers/image/grandprismatic.jpg
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Wed 13 Sep, 2006 03:00 pm
FreeDuck wrote:
Don't forget to rub up against smelly strangers!

If that's your thing, be sure they're smelly, naked strangers.
Be sure to get a good rub, while you're at it.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Wed 13 Sep, 2006 03:02 pm
Linkat wrote:
Shewolfnm is right - bacteria can be quite beautiful with lots of different colors like this thermophile I recently saw at Yellowstone.

http://www.yellowstone.net/geysers/image/grandprismatic.jpg

At Park st station, you'll probably find some thermophiles in July/August on the TOUCH SCREENS.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Wed 13 Sep, 2006 03:03 pm
All TOUCH SCREENS should be equipped with a sign saying:

"Reachout and touch someone"...
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Wed 13 Sep, 2006 03:04 pm
FreeDuck wrote:

Yep!
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Wed 13 Sep, 2006 03:06 pm
shewolfnm wrote:
Chai Tea wrote:

The good thing about the really scary diseases is that they dont survive that long outside the body.

Truthfully, someone with TB could touch that screen.

Actually.. let me get a bit nastier..

I have TB.
I am next in line.

I sneeze on my hand, and leave a good amount of spit on my index finger.

I move up in the line, do my business and dont wipe my finger.

I actually LEAVE spit on the touch screen.

Next person comes up, and touches the screen.

does their business and leaves..

2, 3 , 4 , -20 people later.. they are all touching the screen right in the exact same place I did with bare fingers.

You know the odds of someone catching TB that way?

1-1000

And that 1 has to have -

1) an open sore on their finger

2) If no open sore, has to immediately touch their mouth , eye, nose or some other open warm wet part of their body with the same finger in a matter of seconds after contact.

Most communicable , and I say MOST for a reason..
most of them do not survive outside the body for very long.
They require a 90degree, warm wet environment to survive.

ANd I guarantee you that touch screen isn't 90 degrees..

In the scenario I laid out, the person standing right behind me would have had to been a type of person to STILL touch the screen with visible spit on it, NOT wipe their hands the minute they felt spit if they truthfully didn't see it, and with in less then a minute after using the screen, had to commence booger picking themselves.. or sucking on their finger.

ok ok

i will quit rambling.

Yes a touch pad is a bit dangerous

Pull out the gloves?

nah

We do have a minor epidemic in TB in the Boston area. Please remember, that the newest strains of TB are not resistant to convential antibiotic therapies.

Is that a COUGH, I just heard? Shocked
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Wed 13 Sep, 2006 03:07 pm
( cough cough )

huh?

an outbre...(cough)... ak ?

no way..

(cough hack cough)
0 Replies