You're a numbskull and I love you.

Setanta

Reply Wed 13 Sep, 2006 12:55 pm
Ree-tard has remained popular since at least the late 1950s, and has now morphed into simply tard . . .
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Wed 13 Sep, 2006 12:58 pm
Was it Shewolf going on about "turd burglars" earlier on? Well, I don't know what it means over there, but over here in the UK, it's quite a derogatory term referring to a gay guy......as is "Sausage Jockey"
0 Replies

2PacksAday

Reply Wed 13 Sep, 2006 01:09 pm
Yeah that's pretty much what it means here as well...but I can't recall ever hearing it used seriously to insult someone...that was actually a gay man anyway.

Turd Burgler
Butt Bandit
Fart Knocker....jokingly

Fudge Packer
Pillow Bitter....have more of a bite to them.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Wed 13 Sep, 2006 01:32 pm
oooo dip stick is always a good one.

swimpy, we used to call each others friends "maroons" all the time.

Along with "what a nimrod"

maroons were directed to the person you were talking to as in "You forgot to bring some Boone's Farm Apple Wine? Whadda maroon."

A nimrod was a third party, as in "I can't believe what a f*ckin' nimrod Jack is, he drove right into the lake".

On the big girls blouse thing....I've seen that written before, but I'm still confused....

Are you calling someone a "Big Girl", whose wearing a blouse, or, is the blouse big, and your a girl wearing it?
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Wed 13 Sep, 2006 01:41 pm
Chai, as far as I have always interpreted it, the person in question is being likened to an item of ephemeral frilliness, that belongs in a girl's wardrobe.

I've never heard "Yer girl's blouse" being used, and "big", to my mind, is merely an "intensifier", as Soz would say.

"Intensifier" is a completely different thing over here. I used one once, but it blew a fuse just as the intensification was getting really interesting .
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Wed 13 Sep, 2006 01:42 pm
I hope that made sense, as I was being attacked by a wasp as I was posting it.....
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Wed 13 Sep, 2006 01:50 pm
at one time i guess i was my moms turd burglar.. Embarrassed
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Wed 13 Sep, 2006 01:50 pm
Actually, that made absolutely no sense at all, ya big galute
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Wed 13 Sep, 2006 01:56 pm
Delving into the old memory banks....when I was about 14 or so, I used to work on Saturdays, in various places such as on the Markets, a Butcher's and when I reached the legal minimum age to work, in a Supermarket.

I came across many old hands who were real characters, and for the first month or so after starting a job, I (and other young newcomers like myself) was called either "Spike, Spikey or Spindle".

The full nicknames were :-

Spikey Spunkbubble, or
Spindleprick.

I suppose it was some sort of initiation test, to see if you could take a bit of ribbing.

"OI....SPINDLE (shouted in true Cockney accent)....AIN'T YOU GOT DOZE CABBAGES UP 'ERE YET...WHAT Y'BEEN DOIN'...PLAYIN' WI' YERSELF?"

Once you'd been accepted into the group though, they were the nicest, kindest, funniest people I've ever had the privilege to work with.

It was then MY turn to call someone ELSE... "Spindle".....and I did.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Wed 13 Sep, 2006 01:56 pm
As I understand the question, it is "big, girl's blouse" not "big-girl's blouse."
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Wed 13 Sep, 2006 01:58 pm
Chai Tea wrote:
Actually, that made absolutely no sense at all, ya big galute

Pillock!
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Wed 13 Sep, 2006 02:01 pm
I've always assumed that all Cockneys are homosexuals.

Not that there's anything wrong with that.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Wed 13 Sep, 2006 02:21 pm
Lord Ellpus wrote:
Delving into the old memory banks....when I was about 14 or so, I used to work on Saturdays, in various places such as on the Markets, a Butcher's and when I reached the legal minimum age to work, in a Supermarket.

I came across many old hands who were real characters, and for the first month or so after starting a job, I (and other young newcomers like myself) was called either "Spike, Spikey or Spindle".

The full nicknames were :-

Spikey Spunkbubble, or
Spindleprick.

I suppose it was some sort of initiation test, to see if you could take a bit of ribbing.

"OI....SPINDLE (shouted in true Cockney accent)....AIN'T YOU GOT DOZE CABBAGES UP 'ERE YET...WHAT Y'BEEN DOIN'...PLAYIN' WI' YERSELF?"

Once you'd been accepted into the group though, they were the nicest, kindest, funniest people I've ever had the privilege to work with.

It was then MY turn to call someone ELSE... "Spindle".....and I did.

Oh, I LOVE places like that!

My husband always makes up names for people that work for him.

Jason "the Vamire", as opposed to the other Jason "the Red"
Dwarf Boy
Slap-Dick (actually that's everybody)
Pencil-Dick (ditto)
Wolf Man
Dino (as in dinosaur)
Chief
Sweet William

unfortunately, he has them listed that way in his rolodex
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Wed 13 Sep, 2006 03:00 pm
I tell you Chai, it was the hardest physical work I've ever done (especially at Xmas) but it was SUCH a laugh.

The practical jokes were amazingly funny. The backslang that was used between us, so that the customer had no idea what we were talking about (usually something very naughty) - brilliant!

Backslang consisted of certain key words being spoken backwards, but even then, the pronunciation was changed. Unless you worked there, and were immersed in it all the time, you didn't stand a chance at understanding a word.

<AHEM>

Backslang - known as "kaycab gee-nals." (explanation to follow)

For instance....an affluent customer would approach the meat counter, and the butchery boss knew exactly what she was going to buy....say a joint of pork (she'd buy the same thing each week, and he'd known her for years)

He'd shout (as it would be pronounced)... "Eekat the eecrip fo the kay-rop"

That meant "take the price off the Pork".

Someone would then casually remove the ptice ticket from the pork, and the boss would then serve her, charging her a higher price per pound.

Not very scrupulous...but hey...it was a Market!

A naughty one would be.....as it's pronounced...."eevach a kool at the ell-rig ee-mocking nye the posh.

As it is actually spelt..."evah a kool at the lrig emoc-ing ni the pohs."

What it actually means......"Have a look at the girl coming in the shop"

You can see that, not only has quite a bit been spelt backwards, but the "ing" stays in the original place and most of the pronunciation isn't logical.

It still goes on now, and I have often had a laugh with a shocked Butcher, when I've told him what he's just said.

Ah, the good old days.....
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Wed 13 Sep, 2006 03:35 pm
Erm....sorry for diverting the thread, folks. It's just that, once I start....well, you know me by now.
0 Replies

Tico

Reply Wed 13 Sep, 2006 04:27 pm
boomerang wrote:
Ha! These are great! Thank you for sharing.

I sometimes call Mr. B "a cake eater" when he's being all ridiculous.

We grew up in the same neighborhood though we didn't know each other. He lived on the street that was the dividing line to determine whether you went to the rich school or to the school I went to. Kids from the neighborhood who went to the rich school were called "cake eaters". Thirty five years later it still bugs the crap out of him.

The people of Italian descent in this area (and probably much further) call WASP-types "mange-cakes" or cake eaters, and now it's often shortened to just "cakes". As far as I can tell, it comes from the original Italian immigrants who were baffled both at the Anglo preference for cake and their ability to buy such an item.

I'm a cake. Mr. Green

My stepfather's term of endearment: Re-tread
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 13 Sep, 2006 05:24 pm
An Oz one: You dag!
(sorry, dag!)
0 Replies

2PacksAday

Reply Wed 13 Sep, 2006 11:07 pm
Titty Baby
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Wed 13 Sep, 2006 11:22 pm
Twonk!

No idea what it means, but it's often used.

"You've painted it the wrong colour, you twonk!"
0 Replies

smorgs

Reply Wed 13 Sep, 2006 11:25 pm
Hey!

We forgot '**** for brains'

Or is that an English thing?

x
0 Replies