Patriotic duty: Bash Bush!!!

Brandon9000

Reply Tue 12 Sep, 2006 01:11 pm
DrewDad wrote:
So you're against freedom of speech. Why do hate American, Brandon?

This post is an admission by you that your ideas cannot compete with mine on the level of debate.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Tue 12 Sep, 2006 01:13 pm
How about "voluntarily" doing what Roosevelt suggests rather than what you suggest?
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Tue 12 Sep, 2006 01:15 pm
blatham wrote:
How about "voluntarily" doing what Roosevelt suggests rather than what you suggest?

I agree with what Roosevelt suggests. However, I happen to feel that giving aid and comfort to enemies of one's nation, people who have been absolutely clear on their intention to kill one's citizens and destroy one's way of life, is disloyal.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Tue 12 Sep, 2006 01:15 pm
Brandon9000 wrote:
DrewDad wrote:

This post is an admission by you that your ideas cannot compete with mine on the level of debate.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I will admit that I am unable to be as ignorant, shallow-minded, and cowardly as you are.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Tue 12 Sep, 2006 01:16 pm
Apparently opposing "our leader" is treason. Who knew?
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Tue 12 Sep, 2006 01:16 pm
DrewDad wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:
DrewDad wrote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I will admit that I am unable to be as ignorant, shallow-minded, and cowardly as you are.

The fact that you choose name calling, the lowest form of debate, as your primary method of trying to prevail, even when your opponent is making an actual argument to support his ideas, really says it all about you.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Tue 12 Sep, 2006 01:17 pm
Brandon9000 wrote:
It's one thing to criticize policy within your own country. It's quite another thing to annouce to other countries, friend and foe alike, that you disavow your president.

I believe I have stated several times, on this forum and others, that I thought Chancellor Schröder was a pompous prick, and that his successor, Chancellor Merkel, is so-so at best. No German who read my post had a problem with that -- as well they shouldn't.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Tue 12 Sep, 2006 01:21 pm
Brandon can't distinguish between disavowing a policy and fixing Bin Laden a bowl of chicken noodle soup
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Tue 12 Sep, 2006 01:24 pm
Brandon9000 wrote:
DrewDad wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:
DrewDad wrote:

The fact that you choose name calling, the lowest form of debate, as your primary method of trying to prevail, even when your opponent is making an actual argument to support his ideas, really says it all about you.

I'm sorry, I missed the part where you forwarded "an actual argument." Would you care to clearly state your position?

You went mealy-mouthed and said "aid and comfort." While clearly alluding to treason, you stopped short of making that particular claim.

If you want to say, "in my opinion, he shouldn't have said it" then I'll reply you're certainly entitled to your opinion. If you're claiming that Maher has performed some immoral or illegal activity, then you'll need to provide a tad more support.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Tue 12 Sep, 2006 01:29 pm
DrewDad wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:
DrewDad wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:
DrewDad wrote:

I'm sorry, I missed the part where you forwarded "an actual argument." Would you care to clearly state your position?

You went mealy-mouthed and said "aid and comfort." While clearly alluding to treason, you stopped short of making that particular claim.

If you want to say, "in my opinion, he shouldn't have said it" then I'll reply you're certainly entitled to your opinion. If you're claiming that Maher has performed some immoral or illegal activity, then you'll need to provide a tad more support.

I said that for a citizen to make public statements, actually intended by him for foreign consumption, that provide aid and comfort to people with the avowed policy of violently destroying his country, is unpatriotic. Stop pretending that its complicated. And incidentally, I would appreciate it if you reply to what I've said and not what your psychic abilities tell you I secretly meant.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 12 Sep, 2006 01:30 pm
Brandon9000 wrote:
Setanta wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:
Setanta wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:
It's one thing to criticize policy within your own country. It's quite another thing to annouce to other countries, friend and foe alike, that you disavow your president.

To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public. Nothing but the truth should be spoken about him or any one else. But it is even more important to tell the truth, pleasant or unpleasant, about him than about any one else."

-- Theodore Roosevelt, Jr., The Kansas City Star, May, 1918

You have ignored my entire point, which is that there is a difference between criticism or derision of the government among ourselves, as opposed to such criticism or derision for foreign consumption.

You completely fabricate a scenario in which we could criticize the President and it wouldn't be known outside our borders. Grow up.

To say that you disavow your government's decisions, with the specific intent of speaking for foreign consumption, must surely qualify as giving aid and comfort to the enemy. You seem to be rejecting in its entirety the idea of telling your countrymen that they're idiots, but putting up some kind of a front of solidarity in a situation in which the country's would-be destroyers can see.

You seem to be saying that those with whom you discuss this topic knowingly, and with malice aforethought, trumpet criticism of this administration to "foreigners." (Considering the demographics of immigration, legal and illegal, in the United States for 200+ years, i am always hilariously amused by references to "foreigners.")

You're peddling a strawman here. There might be a lunatic fringe in this country, as would be true anywhere in the world, who are sympathetic to our enemies--but fringe is the operative word in that description. To claim that there is any siginificant proportion of the population who criticize the administration because of a compelling need to suck up to foreigners just points up the absurd hysteria in which you are willing to indulge for sake of argument.

Tell me again how anyone is to publicly criticizde the administration without it being known outside our borders. The criticisms of the Clinton administration were strident and hysterical by rightwingers from the very beginning of his term. The first attack on the WTC was in 1993. Therefore, by the witless criterion you are trying to peddle here, rightwing critics of the Clinton administration gave aid and comfort to al Qaeda which directly resulted in the attacks on the embassies in Africa and on USS Cole.

But your contention is witless. Criticizing the government's policies does not give aid and comfort to the enemy. Giving them money, giving them classified intelligence and/or military information, giving them materials of war or food or medicine constitute aid and comfort. Perhaps you are so naive as to believe that if no one ever publicly criticized the President, all terrorists would believe that all Americans supported the "war on terror" 100% as it is being prosecuted by the dipshit on Pennsylvania Avenue, and would quake in their boots. You're about the only person i've ever known of who was that simple-minded, it that is the case. You can bet that terrorists aren't that stupid, and that they don't give a rat's ass whether or not we support the lamebrain in the oval office. They're coming for you Brandon, no matter what you say, and they're going to saw your head off while you scream.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Tue 12 Sep, 2006 01:34 pm
Razz
Intrepid wrote:
Contrary to what you may hope in your heart, other countries already know what a fool Mr. Bush is. Kinda hard to hide that sort of thing.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 12 Sep, 2006 01:35 pm
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
Brandon can't distinguish between disavowing a policy and fixing Bin Laden a bowl of chicken noodle soup

Ziiiiiiiiinnnnnnnnnnnggggggggggggg . . .

Thanks for putting that in a nutshell, Bear . . .
0 Replies

Shellgame

Reply Tue 12 Sep, 2006 01:35 pm
YIKES!

Run, Brandon. RUN!
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Tue 12 Sep, 2006 01:39 pm
Brandon9000 wrote:
I said that for a citizen to make public statements, actually intended by him for foreign consumption, that provide aid and comfort to people with the avowed policy of violently destroying his country, is unpatriotic.

Now show how this article provides "aid and comfort."

Then define "patriotism."

I'd like to mention that attempting to put limitations on our freedom of speech is unpatriotic. It attacks some of the fundamental ideas upon which our country was founded.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Tue 12 Sep, 2006 01:43 pm
DrewDad wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:
I said that for a citizen to make public statements, actually intended by him for foreign consumption, that provide aid and comfort to people with the avowed policy of violently destroying his country, is unpatriotic.

To advocate that your fellow citizens should tell the people with whom you're fighting a war that the war is wrong and that your leader doesn't represent you will certainly provide them with encouragement.

DrewDad wrote:

Why, you cretin? It's in the dictionary.

DrewDad wrote:
I'd like to mention that attempting to put limitations on our freedom of speech is unpatriotic. It attacks some of the fundamental ideas upon which our country was founded.

So, by this token, selling H-Bomb secrets to Al Qaeda needs to be protected speech.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Tue 12 Sep, 2006 01:47 pm
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:

Nor between opposing a political figure and wanting to destroy the United States.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Tue 12 Sep, 2006 01:54 pm
Brandon9000 wrote:
DrewDad wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:

To advocate that your fellow citizens should tell the people with whom you're fighting a war that the war is wrong and that your leader doesn't represent you will certainly provide them with encouragement.

Now it is "encouragement." "Aid and comfort" has a specific legal meaning.

Brandon9000 wrote:
DrewDad wrote:

Why, you cretin? It's in the dictionary.

My. Doesn't this admit that you are unable to actually compete in the arena of ideas?

The "why" should be obvious: I don't believe that you have a clue as to what real patriotism is.

Brandon9000 wrote:
DrewDad wrote:

So, by this token, selling H-Bomb secrets to Al Qaeda needs to be protected speech.

Commerce is protected speech? Since when?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 12 Sep, 2006 02:05 pm
As Mr. Justice Holmes pointed out, the First Amendment does not protect one's right to yell "Fire!" in a crowded theater. I think selling nukes to al Qaeda meets that criterion.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Tue 12 Sep, 2006 02:09 pm
Brandon9000 wrote:

You describe the behavior of most Congress Republicans when Clinton decided to go to war with Serbia. At the time, did you consider this "aid and comfort" to the Serbians? Did you set your fellow Republicans straight for it? I hope you didn't: There's nothing wrong about criticizing President Clinton for going to war with Serbia, just as there is nothing wrong with criticizing President Bush for going to war with Iraq.
0 Replies