Which are the most "hated" vegetables around the world?

CalamityJane

Reply Sat 16 Sep, 2006 01:49 pm
It's all a question of how beets are prepared. Try a good Russian
Borscht once - it is very good.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 16 Sep, 2006 01:51 pm
To late, CJ - Gus and I are already dragged through the desert, naked, by wild horses.

(And a beet is a beet, disguised as borscht or plain on the plate!)
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Sat 16 Sep, 2006 01:56 pm
I have to admit that I have not tasted beets since i was a littel girl and my mother made me try them. I hated them. I have learned to like plenty of other vegetables. Maybe I'll give beets another go.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sat 16 Sep, 2006 01:59 pm
A properly prepared borscht is a helluva lot more than just beets. Beets are necessary but, in most cases, they're not even the main ingredient.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sat 16 Sep, 2006 02:01 pm
Yeah Andrew, you tell them, those culinary philistines.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 16 Sep, 2006 02:03 pm
CalamityJane wrote:
Yeah Andrew, you tell them, those culinary philistines.

You .... you .... red thing eaters!
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sat 16 Sep, 2006 02:17 pm
http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=2266004&sid=b3ece62a03e61ef5f99c8f7dffbd7842#2266004

We're coming for ya, Gus.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 16 Sep, 2006 02:19 pm
Beets can be yum.

Roasted ... in borscht ... in herring salad ... the delicious options are nearly endless.

I'm still trying to figure out if there's a vegetable I really really hate.

I'm not crazy for turnips, but I can't even say I hate them.

I think that with the right recipe I like all vegetables.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 16 Sep, 2006 02:48 pm
Me too, ehBeth...
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sat 16 Sep, 2006 04:52 pm
Nuh, uh
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 16 Sep, 2006 04:54 pm
Setanta, why are you posting under JPB's handle?
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sun 17 Sep, 2006 08:23 am
Beets
gustavratzenhofer wrote:
Is a beet a vegetable? If so, put me down for that.

I love pickled beets eaten right from the jar.

BBB

Roasted Pickled Beets

1 large red onion, frenched
1 cup tarragon wine vinegar
1 1/2 teaspoons Kosher salt
1/2 cup sugar
1 cup water

Remove the skin from the Roasted Beets and slice thinly. Arrange in 1-quart jars alternating layers with the onion. In a small pot boil the rest of the ingredients and pour over the beets. Tightly lid the jars and place in the refrigerator for 3 to 7 days before serving.

Picled Beet Eggs

2 cans (about 15 ounces each) small whole beets
1 cup cider vinegar
1/2 cup sugar
1 teaspoon salt
6 hard-cooked eggs, shelled
salad greens

Drain the beets, reserving liquid. Place the drained beets in a 1 1/2-quart jar. Measure 1 cup reserved liquid, if necessary, adding enough water to measure 1 cup. In small saucepan, combine beet liquid, vinegar, sugar and salt; bring to boil, stirring.

Pour mixture over beets; then refrigerate, tightly covered, for 24 hours. Next day, remove beets from liquid in jar and return beets to the refrigerator in a covered container. Put eggs in the jar of the beet pickling liquid and refrigerate, covered, 24 hours.

Drain eggs; halve lengthwise, and slice beets. Arrange eggs on salad greens, along with the sliced beets. Serves 6.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 17 Sep, 2006 09:57 am
still mulling over 'hated vegetables'

the only thing I can think of is that I can be verra verra fussy about how veggies are prepped - I don't like many veggies with sauces - and there are some veggies I don't care for once they're cooked - but if I get to pick the prep method ... I'll eat the veggies
0 Replies

Tico

Reply Sun 17 Sep, 2006 10:21 am
Like ehBeth, I'm having some difficulty thinking of a vegetable that I absolutely despise. Spinach ... can't stand it as a sodden cooked heap on my plate, but love it raw in salads or baked in vegetarian lasagne. Even okra is good if properly prepared. I'm much more irrational about meat.

I love beets -- fresh cooked ones with some butter and fresh cracked pepper and sea salt. But, years ago I had a embarrassing incident with them. My new guy had me meet his family, and his mother had prepared a meal with beets just the way I like 'em. So I kinda pigged out. That night was the first time he & I slept together. The next morning, when I went to the bathroom, I thought I was hemorraging! How could I possibly tell this new guy that I needed to be taken to the hospital after our first sex. I mean, we were still at the point in the relationship where I shaved my legs scrupulously and he didn't burp in front of me. Finally I decided that since I wasn't in pain, it couldn't be serious. Eventually it dawned on me that this was caused by the beets.

Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

spidergal

Reply Mon 18 Sep, 2006 08:26 am
Oh, I din knew that some vegetable could be so damaging. I guess its the 'beetroot' that everybody here is talking about.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Mon 18 Sep, 2006 09:00 am
the parsnip children I repeat
Is merely an anemic beet
Some people find the parsnip edible
I find this statement quite incredible
0 Replies

spidergal

Reply Thu 21 Sep, 2006 08:09 pm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beet

Beet juice is used by Indian women to impart pink color to their lips. Razz
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sun 24 Sep, 2006 08:06 am
ROASTED BABY BEETS AND SAUTEED BEET GREENS
ROASTED BABY BEETS AND SAUTEED BEET GREENS

Take 3 bunches of baby beets with tops; washed well. Cut off the tops and reserve.

Place the beets in a roasting pan; toss with olive oil and add rosemary sprigs. Roast at 375 degrees for about 30 minutes. Remove the beet skins while warm; then cut beets in half.

Meanwhile saute the beet greens in olive oil and add a splash of balsamic vinegar. Season with salt and pepper and place on a serving plate; top with baby beets.
0 Replies

KenReader4tracks

Reply Tue 29 Mar, 2011 03:03 am
Most vegetables are great especialy roasted in the oven with olive oil & herbs. You should try this.
Ken
0 Replies