Which are the most "hated" vegetables around the world?

spidergal

Reply Mon 11 Sep, 2006 10:15 pm
Uh,yes, its a gourd. I can't even spell it right. I hate it so!

http://www.kamat.com/kalranga/veg/vegetables/21111.htm

Its very popular (or rather unpopular) in India and my mum is hell-bent on getting me to eat it.
0 Replies

spidergal

Reply Mon 11 Sep, 2006 10:18 pm
Idea I was wondering if it was a good idea to look up some chef's association online and find out from them which are the least favourite vegetables amond diners.
0 Replies

spidergal

Reply Mon 11 Sep, 2006 10:19 pm
Oh, and Lord, the links were quite helpful. Thank you.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Mon 11 Sep, 2006 10:21 pm
You can add me to the brussel sprout haters club! Lima beans are the devil too. And butter beans...
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Mon 11 Sep, 2006 10:35 pm
The absolute, by far, best way (IMO) that Brussels can be prepared, is....

1. Melt one large knob (Oy!) ....of butter in a saucepan, add reasonable amount of brown sugar....stir over low heat and let butter/sugar mix and dissolve.

2. Throw one or two handfulls (handsfull?) of baby button sprouts (if frozen, thaw them out first) into brown, horrible looking liquid that now lurks at the bottom of aforementioned saucepan.

3. Frantically search around for that little jar of powdered nutmeg that you haven't used since you baked that apple pie last Autumn, in order to use up all those windfall apples.

4. Casually shake a small amount of powdered nutmeg over quietly sizzling sprouts.

5. Stir sprouts over low heat until they are just about cooked (Al Dente). Do NOT let them sizzle to buggery so that they are seconds away from being soup.

Serve. I never cook them any other way now.

Perfect with Christmas dinner.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 11 Sep, 2006 11:15 pm
Spidergal, looking at your link, I might have met my match there, though I often like things with bitter taste, and appreciating bitter is, er, a matter of appreciation over the years. I like bitter digestivos, and aperitivos like Campari, preferably with soda.

There's not too much I don't like, except I could never just eat pillows of fat, and I can't eat raw sea urchin. And so far, I hold out that there is a good way to cook most vegetables, just that that way is not always popular.

Some magazine within the last year or two had an article I saved, and where the hell is it, about a tart filled not with apples, but winter veggies.
I bet that tart is good, though many of us in the US have hated those veggies.

So, jumping along in my logic, do those countries who have the worst cooks have a population that hates the most vegetables?
0 Replies

flushd

Reply Mon 11 Sep, 2006 11:34 pm
I honestly can not think of a veggie I don't like. Some cooking methods are gross: specificially the 'boil it until it is mushy and dead' approach.

If I had to pick a least favorite, it would have to be the carrot.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 11 Sep, 2006 11:42 pm
I didn't used to like cooked carrots at all, and eventually learned to like raw ones. I hear the immediately out of the ground fresh ones are absolutely great. I dunno, I never grew carrots.

Why I didn't like cooked carrots is my mother, a good cook, or a meaning-well cook, not bad, just a woman of her time, boiled the hell out of them.
Now I put them in a pan with other things like quartered onions and quartered fennel and sliced red potato and sweet peppers (and other things) and drizzle olive oil over them and roast them in the oven.
Turns out I love roasted carrots... and squash, and other things I didn't think I liked.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 11 Sep, 2006 11:43 pm
Ellpus, I'm going to try your brussel sprout thing..
0 Replies

flushd

Reply Mon 11 Sep, 2006 11:51 pm
I don't know exactly what it is about carrots, but they have a funny almost soap-like taste to my mouth.
Even as a kid, picking carrots in the garden: no thanks. I'll eat the peas. Smile

Plus, yes, my mother boiled them to death. Also, there were some pretty awful preserve experiments that I can still taste as memories.

Pickled carrots. A cellar shelf full of them. *stabbing self

Some good ideas here for ways to eat veggies though!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 12 Sep, 2006 12:06 am
Peas, do we all agree peas are good? (I do... though some peas are better than others)
0 Replies

Bohne

Reply Tue 12 Sep, 2006 01:24 am
I love all vegetables that I have tried so far.
As a child brussel sprouts were my absolute favourite.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Tue 12 Sep, 2006 04:22 am
Not that I hate peas, but it would never occur to me to cook some for myself....like flushd, there's some I like less than others.

I like dried peas, for pea soup....yummy
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Tue 12 Sep, 2006 04:31 am
A big dollop of mushy peas, covered with tomato sauce. Plonk that next to my fish 'n' chips, and I'm a happy bunny.
Mmmmm.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mushy_peas

(curry sauce all over my chips is good as well)
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 12 Sep, 2006 06:02 am
ossobuco wrote:
Peas, do we all agree peas are good? (I do... though some peas are better than others)

Peas?

Peas in our time, or give peas a chance?
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Tue 12 Sep, 2006 06:36 am
ossobuco wrote:
How'd you cook those turnips, JPB? My theory being, at least in part, that it's all in the cooking technique.

I wilted the swiss chard in some chicken broth and added the diced turnips and crushed red pepper flakes. I let them steam for about 10 mins and then added diced andouille sausange and a can of rinsed red beans. Cooked another five minutes to heat everything through. A nice one-pot dinner.
0 Replies

spidergal

Reply Tue 12 Sep, 2006 06:44 am
Quote:
I have adopted an open-door policy for all plant-based foods since becoming a vegetarian, and I've successfully learned to like many things, including onions, tomatoes, bell peppers, mushrooms (although I still can't stomach biting into a huge hunk of one). Some I'm still working on, like fennel and eggplant. And others are still going to be a while before I'm even prepared to tackle them, like okra, natto, and huitlacoche. (Maybe I'll get lucky and never in my life be called upon to eat either of the last two.) I think the keys are try, try again, cut it into smaller bits and mix it with things you like, and try cooking it different ways. I've also had some success trying it at restaurants. I had the most gorgeous eggplant and roasted pepper strata at a restaurant a couple months ago-- I could have eaten a whole pan of it. And Panera's mushroom bisque was so good it got me convinced mushrooms aren't so bad after all.

Here's some good advice from a vegan.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Tue 12 Sep, 2006 06:51 am
Lord Ellpus wrote:
The absolute, by far, best way (IMO) that Brussels can be prepared, is....

1. Melt one large knob (Oy!) ....of butter in a saucepan, add reasonable amount of brown sugar....stir over low heat and let butter/sugar mix and dissolve.

2. Throw one or two handfulls (handsfull?) of baby button sprouts (if frozen, thaw them out first) into brown, horrible looking liquid that now lurks at the bottom of aforementioned saucepan.

3. Frantically search around for that little jar of powdered nutmeg that you haven't used since you baked that apple pie last Autumn, in order to use up all those windfall apples.

4. Casually shake a small amount of powdered nutmeg over quietly sizzling sprouts.

5. Stir sprouts over low heat until they are just about cooked (Al Dente). Do NOT let them sizzle to buggery so that they are seconds away from being soup.

Serve. I never cook them any other way now.

Perfect with Christmas dinner.

I think even oak shavings would taste good prepared this way....
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Tue 12 Sep, 2006 06:52 am
dlowan wrote:
Peas in our time, or give peas a chance?

I imagine it's whirled peas.

(Trite. I know.)
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Tue 12 Sep, 2006 06:53 am
Surely potatoes are the most hated....

More of them chopped, skinned, mashed, and sliced; roasted, boiled, or immersed in boiling oil than any other vegetable.
0 Replies