Which are the most "hated" vegetables around the world?

JPB

Reply Tue 12 Sep, 2006 07:00 am
Peas are ok. I prefer them blanched, then served cold in a salad, but they're ok cooked too.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 12 Sep, 2006 10:07 am
Spidergal--

Why not investigate school lunch menus and airline meals with an eye to what is not being served?
0 Replies

spidergal

Reply Tue 12 Sep, 2006 10:37 am
Looks like a good idea. I'll try that out.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 12 Sep, 2006 10:42 am
Brussel sprouts and cauliflower. BLECH!!!
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 12 Sep, 2006 10:43 am
dlowan wrote:
Peas in our time, or give peas a chance?

Peas on Earth

(cj writing "Noel" in the snow)
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Tue 12 Sep, 2006 10:44 am
The worst vegetables of all are canned vegetables...yuck.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Tue 12 Sep, 2006 11:24 am
My mother used to serve us canned spinach. UGH!!!
0 Replies

spidergal

Reply Sat 16 Sep, 2006 07:36 am
http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e116/spidergal/sorakaya.jpg

I don't know what they call it in other parts of the world but over here it is called as Lauki in Hindi. And I just can't get it down my palate.....Bleh! (Of course, I don't have to eat it raw. I dislike its curry.)
0 Replies

spidergal

Reply Sat 16 Sep, 2006 07:45 am
Awright, I just figured out that it is a bottle-gourd.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sat 16 Sep, 2006 08:39 am
BBB
I love corn but hate it being messed with to create hominy.

BBB
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sat 16 Sep, 2006 08:43 am
Re: BBB
BumbleBeeBoogie wrote:

BBB

Hominy is yummy, I used to can/jar about 50 pints every year.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sat 16 Sep, 2006 08:48 am
Re: BBB
dyslexia wrote:
BumbleBeeBoogie wrote:
BBB

Hominy is yummy, I used to can/jar about 50 pints every year.

That just proves your low class taste in food, you snob!

BBB
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 16 Sep, 2006 08:51 am
What's hominy?
I've heard of "hominy grits" but don't really know what it is.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sat 16 Sep, 2006 08:53 am
hominy
msolga wrote:
What's hominy?
I've heard of "hominy grits" but don't really know what it is.

Hominy or nixtamal is dried maize (corn) kernels which have been treated with an alkali of some kind.

The traditional U.S. version involves soaking dried corn in lye-water (sodium hydroxide or potassium hydroxide solution), traditionally derived from wood ash, until the germ is removed. Mexican recipes describe a preparation process consisting primarily of cooking in lime-water (calcium hydroxide). In either case, the process is called nixtamalization, and removes the germ and the hard outer hull from the kernels, making them more palatable, easier to digest, and easier to process. It also alters the flavor in a way that many consider to be an improvement.

The process dates back nearly 10,000 years in ancient Mesoamerican cultures. It affords several significant nutritional advantages over untreated maize products. It converts some of the niacin (and possibly other B vitamins) into a form more absorbable by the body, improves the availability of the amino acids, and (at least in the lime-treated variant) supplements the calcium content, balancing maize's comparative excess of phosphorus.

Some recipes using hominy include menudo (a spicy tripe and hominy soup), pozole (a stew of hominy and pork, chicken, prawns, or other meat), hominy bread, hominy chili, casseroles and fried dishes. Hominy can be ground coarsely to make grits, or into a fine mash (dough) to make masa for tamales and tortillas.

Hominy can also be used as animal feed.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 16 Sep, 2006 08:55 am
Ah, I see.
Thank you, BBB.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 16 Sep, 2006 09:04 am
There are several vegetables I do not eat. Only a few I absolutely hate. At the pinacle of nastiness and un-pallatability is the despised okra, more disgusting than **** smothered with three day old skunk road kill. If I were dictator of the Earth, I would order detention centers for growers of okra, where they would be confined for years, until I could assemble military style tribunals to accuse and punish without end. If I were a fundamentalist minister, I would call upon okra to be piled in city squares and burned, eaters of it be to burned at the stake. I would order the very mention of that odius vegetable expunged from all literature, lobotomies for anyone caught defending it. I would destroy the very genus it originated from. I would agent orange any field or garden that ever grew it. I would write proclamations demanding any who ever willingly ate it to report to have their tongues taken out. Fortunately, I am not a religious man, for I would have had to turn my back on any deity capable of creating such a travesty in nature.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sat 16 Sep, 2006 09:17 am
Okra is evil.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 16 Sep, 2006 09:19 am
dyslexia wrote:
Okra is evil.

Dang it, I missed that line.
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Sat 16 Sep, 2006 09:39 am
I like all vegetables - but some cooking methods make them inedible.

I like fried okra and okra in gumbo (sorry edgar & dys), but the slimy version is really nasty. I like turnips raw. I'll eat carrots raw, boiled, or roasted but I don't like the orange sauce that is frequently put on them. Broccoli is my current favorite. And cucumber! I'd forgotten how much I like it.
0 Replies

sublime1

Reply Sat 16 Sep, 2006 09:41 am
If a tomato has not been sliced beyond recognition and added to something else I just can't eat it.

Okra on the other hand I have no problem with as long as its deep fried and beaded.

Don't worry Edgar, I have already been thoroughly lobotimised.
0 Replies