Torturers' Prudential of America Insurance Package

blatham

Reply Mon 11 Sep, 2006 12:25 pm
from the lead article, last paragraph
Quote:
However, McNamara's predecessor as CIA general counsel, Jeffrey H. Smith, said: "I'm deeply troubled that CIA officers have to buy insurance. . . . There should be clear rules about what the officers can and can't do. The fault here is with more senior people who authorized interrogation techniques that amount to torture" and should now be liable, instead of "the officers who carried it out."

The CIA general counsel is perhaps the person you wish to contact with your queries, brandon. Alternately, you could expand your reading sources.

You could also wrestle with the oddness that while you or the CIA guys working on computer programming in your city won't have need to take out one of these state-reimbursed insurance policies yourself, people involved in interrogations are taking them out.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Mon 11 Sep, 2006 12:34 pm
Brandon is constitutionally incapable of admitting error. Being afraid to look occasionally foolish, he ends up looking a complete fool.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Mon 11 Sep, 2006 12:47 pm
DrewDad wrote:
Brandon is constitutionally incapable of admitting error. Being afraid to look occasionally foolish, he ends up looking a complete fool.
It seems rather more foolish to me to be constitutionally incapable of trying to prevail by winning the actual argument on merit, and preferring always to try to prevail by impeaching the character of the opposing poster.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 11 Sep, 2006 12:48 pm
Back on topic; I had no idea a person could insure against the consequences of their own illegal acts. Certainly, a contract for an illegal purpose is unenforceable.

Hey, could the insurance company be guilty of abetting a crime?
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 11 Sep, 2006 12:52 pm
Brandon9000 wrote:
DrewDad wrote:
It seems rather more foolish to me to be constitutionally incapable of trying to prevail by winning the actual argument on merit, and preferring always to try to prevail by impeaching the character of the opposing poster.

Perhaps you can attempt to address the actual responses to your post, which detailed (in short) the evidence and logic that the CIA has actually been utilizing torturous methods.

This is a great example of what I said in the other thread; when presented with logical arguments and personal attacks, you ignore the arguments, respond to the attacks, and declare yourself the 'winner.' But we all know better than that, don't we?

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Mon 11 Sep, 2006 12:55 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:
DrewDad wrote:

Perhaps you can attempt to address the actual responses to your post, which detailed (in short) the evidence and logic that the CIA has actually been utilizing torturous methods....

Of course, but I can't quite find such a response in this thread. Whose post on which page would you like me to respond to the logic of?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 11 Sep, 2006 12:56 pm
There is no post in this thread in which you have employed logic--therefore, there is no logical response incumbent upon those who have been laughing their asses off at you.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Mon 11 Sep, 2006 12:56 pm
Brandon9000 wrote:
DrewDad wrote:

Wrong again, Brandon. If you will read my post carefully, you will see that I am not engaging in any kind of discussion or argument. I am merely stating my observations of your behavior.
0 Replies

candidone1

Reply Mon 11 Sep, 2006 12:57 pm
Brandon9000 wrote:
DrewDad wrote:

Can you then stop with your hypocritical song and dance already.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 11 Sep, 2006 12:58 pm
Quote:
Of course there is evidence; re: the exemption of the CIA from recently passed restrictions on torture by the Pentagon.

If they weren't using it, or didn't plan on using it, there would be no reason for exemptions.

Logic states that there is no reason to exclude the CIA from torture restrictions if they haven't been, or aren't planning to, commit acts of torture. This is elementary, Brandon.

Quote:

Quote:
However, McNamara's predecessor as CIA general counsel, Jeffrey H. Smith, said: "I'm deeply troubled that CIA officers have to buy insurance. . . . There should be clear rules about what the officers can and can't do. The fault here is with more senior people who authorized interrogation techniques that amount to torture" and should now be liable, instead of "the officers who carried it out."

The CIA general counsel is perhaps the person you wish to contact with your queries, brandon. Alternately, you could expand your reading sources.

You could also wrestle with the oddness that while you or the CIA guys working on computer programming in your city won't have need to take out one of these state-reimbursed insurance policies yourself, people involved in interrogations are taking them out.
\

Logic also states that if there was no reason for CIA officials to be worried that they may be prosecuted for torture, they wouldn't be taking out insurance policies.

This is also elementary, Brandon.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Mon 11 Sep, 2006 01:02 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Quote:
Of course there is evidence; re: the exemption of the CIA from recently passed restrictions on torture by the Pentagon.

If they weren't using it, or didn't plan on using it, there would be no reason for exemptions.

Logic states that there is no reason to exclude the CIA from torture restrictions if they haven't been, or aren't planning to, commit acts of torture. This is elementary, Brandon.

Quote:

Quote:

\

Logic also states that if there was no reason for CIA officials to be worried that they may be prosecuted for torture, they wouldn't be taking out insurance policies.

Cycloptichorn

My request was for a bit of actual evidence that CIA agents, acting according to orders, had lately been torturing prisoners. Do you have any such evidence? It sounds as though you do not.
0 Replies

candidone1

Reply Mon 11 Sep, 2006 01:20 pm
I'm not sure I'd take out an insurance policy like this....then again, I don't oplan on torturing anyone....or even coming close.
I guess if I intended on playing by the rules, it wouldn't be an issue.
I mean, It's not like one ever accidentally tortures someone.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Mon 11 Sep, 2006 01:40 pm
0 Replies

candidone1

Reply Mon 11 Sep, 2006 01:54 pm
Brandon9000 wrote:
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

\

Cycloptichorn

My request was for a bit of actual evidence that CIA agents, acting according to orders, had lately been torturing prisoners. Do you have any such evidence? It sounds as though you do not.

My best guess would be that if and when any CIA "orders" are released to the public, it'll be along the same timeline as was Operation Northwoods. 25 years give or take.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 11 Sep, 2006 01:58 pm
Actually, your last request was:

Brandon9000 wrote:
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:
DrewDad wrote:

Perhaps you can attempt to address the actual responses to your post, which detailed (in short) the evidence and logic that the CIA has actually been utilizing torturous methods....

Of course, but I can't quite find such a response in this thread. Whose post on which page would you like me to respond to the logic of?

Which I provided for you.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Mon 11 Sep, 2006 01:59 pm
candidone1 wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

\

Cycloptichorn

My best guess would be that if and when any CIA "orders" are released to the public, it'll be along the same timeline as was Operation Northwoods. 25 years give or take.

Perhaps you're right, but unless someone can post such a citation, it should be at least noted in passing that there is no evidence of such recent torture by the CIA as a sanctioned activity. You don't find people guilty in court if there is no evidence of their guilt, even if it might be that there is no evidence only because they're hiding it.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 11 Sep, 2006 02:02 pm
None of which addresses the highly suspect activity of someone taking out an expensive insurance policy to indemnify themselves for the consequences of being charged with illegal activities.

These boys and girls aren't stupid--they know the Shrub won't be in office that much longer.
0 Replies

candidone1

Reply Mon 11 Sep, 2006 02:05 pm
Well, it'll come. Just as the secret CIA prisons have surfaced, the illegal wiretapping, and the abuses at Abu Ghraib.
Accusations are where they begin and the facts emerge later.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Mon 11 Sep, 2006 02:48 pm
Brandon9000 wrote:
So, in fact, no one has any evidence that the CIA has, of late, tortured prisoners, excepting, of course, agents who were acting contrary to policy?

Well, the story wasn't about evidence of torture, it was about CIA agents getting insurance policies. I suppose there might be evidence of torture out there, but the reporter wasn't interested in that story, he was interested in the insurance policy story. So you can't conclude, based on this story alone, that there is no evidence that CIA operatives have tortured prisoners.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Mon 11 Sep, 2006 02:58 pm
candidone1 wrote:
Well, it'll come. Just as the secret CIA prisons have surfaced, the illegal wiretapping, and the abuses at Abu Ghraib.
Accusations are where they begin and the facts emerge later.

Funny you bring up "the abuses at Abu Ghraib"... Seems Iraqi prisoners are begging for Americans now. link
0 Replies