I smell a fish, but may be quite wrong

lezzles

Reply Thu 16 Nov, 2006 05:26 pm
Wow, Helmut, you are one handsome puddy-tat!

Maybe it's the uniform.
Welcome - it's always good to have another spunk to drool over. Cool
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 16 Nov, 2006 06:06 pm
Here's an old article on Fox News -

Sources: Justice Department Probing Air Force Major's Disappearance in Kyrgyzstanand another on ABC News

Vanishing Major: Runaway Bride or Kidnap Victim?

September 11, 2006 8:12 PM
Luis Martinez Reports:

U.S. defense officials tell ABC News that serious inconsistencies have emerged in the investigation of the strange disappearance of Air Force Major Jill Metzger. Maj. Metzger vanished without a trace while shopping at a store in Kyrgyzstan on Sept. 5 until she just as mysteriously reappeared three days later.

Sources tell ABC News that surveillance video taken in the store contradict the Major's story that she was abducted after someone put a hard object in her back pocket along with a note saying that it was an explosive. The video indicates that she left the store of her own free will, and alone, according to sources who have seen the video.

As investigators gather all the facts surrounding the case, they are exploring the possibility that she was attempting to flee a recent marriage, according to one source close to the investigation. When she was found, her hair had been cropped short and dyed.

If Maj. Metzger was abducted, investigators will continue to work with local police in a criminal case. However, if she left on her own and she was not DUSTWUN -- Duty Status Whereabouts Unknown -- she will be reclassified as AWOL -- Absent Without Leave-- and open to punishment by the Uniform Code of Military Justice. A lower ranking enlisted person might just get a reprimand, but officers are held to a higher standard.

Maj. Metzger is currently at Landstuhl Air Force Base undergoing medical treatment and debriefing. She will return to the U.S. within the next three to four days to undergo further care and debriefing at Walter Reed Medical Center. Despite the fact that she is a two-time winner, Metzger will not be running in this weekend's Air Force Marathon as planned.

I had earlier read some article that people were not supposed to leave their group when shopping, but haven't tried to find where I read that rule.

I've no interest in berating her - just thought the story was fishy. I wasn't alone in that, apparently.
0 Replies

lezzles

Reply Thu 16 Nov, 2006 06:42 pm
Osso - a strange story indeed.

I can almost imagine her waking up one morning, being struck by the thought that her marriage was nothing like she dreamed it would be and, in a blind funk, just going "off" into another reality to escape. Really odd.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 16 Nov, 2006 06:52 pm
I had read that in the news when it first came out, and haven't really followed it. I guess I figure she had some sort of "break", and it's surely not my business.

As far as following orders, she wasn't supposed to be shopping alone according to whichever of the pieces I saw when I was looking at different articles on google when I first posted.

Whatever, I wish her well.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Thu 16 Nov, 2006 07:15 pm
I wish her well, too. If it's true, it's crazy. If it's not, it's sad. Probably stress-related.

Are people getting weirder or have we always been this strange?
0 Replies

Helmut Roole

Reply Mon 20 Nov, 2006 06:04 am
Mame wrote:
I wish her well, too. If it's true, it's crazy. If it's not, it's sad. Probably stress-related.

Are people getting weirder or have we always been this strange?
It's an anomaly, but you see it happen. I don't know if it's the US media is all over stories like this or if it doesn't happen as much in other countries, but in the states you'll see this from time to time. Scott Peterson, the run-a-way bride in Atlanta... you have to wonder what their thinking. I mean, how much more complicated is getting a divorce vs killing your wife or running away and joining the circus?

That's assuming she wasn't really abducted.
0 Replies

Helmut Roole

Reply Mon 20 Nov, 2006 06:07 am
lezzles wrote:
Wow, Helmut, you are one handsome puddy-tat!

Maybe it's the uniform.
Welcome - it's always good to have another spunk to drool over. Cool
That's not really me. Gawd.

If you followed your military history you'd realize that that's a picture of Lt. Gen Bonkers.

Hello?

He declared the war on string un-winnable?
0 Replies