Atheists - what drives you?

fresco

Reply Sat 16 Sep, 2006 01:11 am
This word "purpose" which is being tossed about is simply a human projection of our yearning to make "sense" of everything. For example it is quite meaningful to say "the purpose of war is to limit the population". It merely implies a "systems view" of a particular phenomenon as a subservient cog serving a system goal.

It follows that "an atheist" may see himself "driven" by any secular "system" he seeks to evoke, from the altruistic to the hedonistic. The "theist" on the other hand evokes a particular system which he ascribes to "divine providence" from which he strays at his own risk.
0 Replies

megamanXplosion

Reply Sat 16 Sep, 2006 01:18 pm
Quote:
Thats nonsense. Please stop bringing up these things up, I'm not talking about genetics or clay theory or whatever else you think. I don't say to you that you should research interpersonal communications, psycology or metaphysics. I'm trying to make you think beyond that, and beyond god, and beyond a meaningless universe.

When you talk about the reason an animal behaves the way it does, you are talking about genetics.

Quote:
I blame you megamanXplosion, for some reason I can't get through to you. When I say two concepts are one and the same you say I’m "uncritically combining the concepts of will and purpose." The hell man, I'm arguing that they're both the same. If I said god is a goat, you probably would say that I'm "uncritically combining the concepts of god and animal." Stop that! It's obvious what I'm doing and you're supposed to think about it.

I know you are arguing that they are both the same. My view is that if one thinks critically about both subjects one will keep them separate. Stop blaming other people because you cannot create a convincing argument.

Quote:
Thats ridiculous. Seriously, if this is one of the multiple theories you've listed, it's the worst one. The first man and woman on this planet aren't living 6 billion different lives, especially not my life. This doesn't make me feel better about life and death. So in taking your advice, I should have children so I can live my life through them even after death?... Thats has too many problems to discuss.

I never said the first man and woman have been living 6 billion different lives. I said that their characteristics live on through you. This is why I introduced the concept of erasing the contents of one’s brain and how it creates a new life, not recreating the old life. This is, also, why I said they live on through you “in a way.” I was referring to the physical characteristics – including the physical characteristics of the brain that influence how one behaves when one loses a child, or when one faces a difficult task, and so on. I was not referring to the actual people living on. What I was talking about should have been blatantly obvious. I find it hard to imagine that this extremely simple thought did not enter your mind when reading my post. I can only think that you are purposely exaggerating what I wrote. (Just for the record, there was never was a single man and woman—it is obvious that you do not accept the theory of evolution or that your understanding of it is abysmal.) Furthermore, I never said that one should have children to continue living their own lives after death.

Quote:
So how does this help the thread starter? It doesn't! Thats been my whole point from the get go, unfortunately I got side tract with my own advice. You haven't given him one bit of advice that actually makes him feel good about himself or more importantly.. useful advice.

I am sorry, next time I shall lie to him so he feels better. Though I think I have already made it clear that one does not need a purpose for existing to enjoy one’s existence.

Quote:
I think one does fear death when they believe they live through their children after their gone. Your children’s lives are their own, separate from yours.

Again, that is an exaggeration of the point I was making and I am well aware that my children, once I have some, will have lives separate from my own.

Quote:
Let me ask you, does it really matter if dust has or doesn't have purpose!? I mean... the thread starter comes to these forums obviously depressed and you tell him some seriously bad advice on parenthood to thwart his fears on death. Then you validate his insecurities by telling him his life is insignificant and his life is indeed purposeless, when interpreted this in the wrong way, even in the right way, it doesn't make someone feel good about their life. Was that your goal, was your will to make him feel worse?

I never gave advice on parenthood. Furthermore, my will was to give an honest opinion.
0 Replies

echi

Reply Sun 17 Sep, 2006 04:05 pm
provoko wrote:
I may seem inconsistent because I'm throwing many different ideas at you guys all at once, to make you think.

Just be straight, homes.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Sun 17 Sep, 2006 11:38 pm
Doktor S wrote:
snood wrote:

Bet you don't have, and don't have any desire for, kids. Just a wild premonition. How accurate was I?

You are absolutely correct.

There IS a God. Cool
0 Replies

Pauligirl

Reply Mon 18 Sep, 2006 08:51 pm
http://www.uclick.com/feature/06/09/17/wpopu060917.gif
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 18 Sep, 2006 08:56 pm
Schniff, Opus!!! So wise..
0 Replies

rockpie

Reply Tue 3 Oct, 2006 09:31 am
as a Christian, i cannot understand atheists who base their lack of belief on the fact that there is no proof for God's existence. surely an equally powerful argument can be presented on the basis that there is also no proof he does not exist, so surely the most you can say is that you're agnostic.
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Tue 3 Oct, 2006 11:09 am
rockpie,

Welcome to A2K

Atheists do not need to "base" their lack of "belief" on anything ! Theists propose a concept which they find useful to them. Atheists simply find no use for the concept and may even view its reification by others as socially pathological.

If you read above you should find that arguments about "evidence" and "proof" are futile. You need to investigate the word "existence" with respect to "reality" as "a social construction" in order to understand the futility, but your self declared allegience to a particular social reality called "Christianity" is a set of spectacles which tends to preclude perception of that analysis.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Wed 4 Oct, 2006 10:29 am
Bingo!
0 Replies