Atheists - what drives you?

megamanXplosion

Reply Wed 13 Sep, 2006 06:04 pm
gungasnake wrote:
Quote:
Atheists - what drives you?

Ignorance......

You are friends with people who think that a broken 70 million year old T-Rex bone and Indian cave paintings of a shape-shifting water-spirit cat is proof that man walked alongside furry red Stegosaurs a few thousand years ago. When someone like yourself calls me ignorant, I feel flattered by the compliments.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Wed 13 Sep, 2006 06:32 pm
agrote wrote:
neologist wrote:
And the reason is. . . ?

He's already given you a reason.
snood wrote:
He said that for God to be absolutely free and all powerful, he could not exist.

That's a reason?
Thank you snood.

Look, guys; I'm just an ignorant fugitive from New Jersey and can't understand how an all powerful entity, one who is free to cause whatever he wills to exist, cannot possibly exist.

Somehow, I think you are just trying to take advantage of my ignorance.
Rolling Eyes
Shame on you.
0 Replies

agrote

Reply Wed 13 Sep, 2006 07:27 pm
snood wrote:
He said that for God to be absolutely free and all powerful, he could not exist.

That's a reason?

Isn't neologist asking for a reason why "for God to be absolutely free and all powerful, he could not exist"?

He was given this reason, "Saying that a necessary being exists with absolute freedom, to whom absolutely everything is possible with regard to his own volition is like saying he doesn't exist. Even his own existence would be a limit unto himself. Even he creating himself would be a limit unto himself."
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Wed 13 Sep, 2006 08:00 pm
I haven't read it all so sorry if this has already been said but....

What you think drives you, and what actually drives you .... can be worlds apart...whatever your religious leanings.

For myself, I think I'm driven by music, hunger, thirst, need for security, love, the need to be loved, beauty, music, sex, parental instincts, survival instincts, the need to fit in (human companionship) an inquisitive and questioning "exceptionist" attitude to everything I'm told, the need to give the world more than I take from it....and probably hundreds of other things too.

What actually drives me may or may not include the above.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Thu 14 Sep, 2006 01:22 am
agrote wrote:
snood wrote:

That's a reason?

Isn't neologist asking for a reason why "for God to be absolutely free and all powerful, he could not exist"?

He was given this reason, "Saying that a necessary being exists with absolute freedom, to whom absolutely everything is possible with regard to his own volition is like saying he doesn't exist. Even his own existence would be a limit unto himself. Even he creating himself would be a limit unto himself."
Congratulations.
You have posed two contradictory premises and concluded they both must be false.

Does the term 'non sequitur' mean anything to you?

Keep this link for reference:
http://www.dianahsieh.com/misc/fallacies.html
0 Replies

agrote

Reply Thu 14 Sep, 2006 05:12 am
neologist wrote:
agrote wrote:
snood wrote:

That's a reason?

Congratulations.
You have posed two contradictory premises and concluded they both must be false.

Does the term 'non sequitur' mean anything to you?

Keep this link for reference:
http://www.dianahsieh.com/misc/fallacies.html

I didn't say I agree with InfraBlue.

You implied that he didn't give you a reason for his claim, and I am saying that he clearly did give you a reason.

You don't think the reason is adequate. That is fine. Why not explain why you think what InfraBlue has said is a non sequitur?

You say that InfraBLue's reason is not good enough.

And the reason is...?
0 Replies

kitchenpete

Reply Thu 14 Sep, 2006 05:28 am
Existential bookmark!
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Thu 14 Sep, 2006 09:13 am
InfraBlue wrote:
neologist wrote:
InfraBlue wrote:
neologist wrote:
I suppose if you were to supply some examples of the limitations necessitated or placed on an all powerful God having free will, it might help me to 'cobble up' some sort of answer.

Saying that a necessary being exists with absolute freedom, to whom absolutely everything is possible with regard to his own volition is like saying he doesn't exist. Even his own existence would be a limit unto himself. Even he creating himself would be a limit unto himself. For God to be absolutely all powerful and absolutely free with absolute volition, he could not possibly exist.
And the reason is. . . .?

Existence itself would be a limit to the absolute possibility, and absolute freedom, and absolute volition of God .
Framing this as a syllogism, would this be a correct statement of your position?

A] Everything is possible for God.
B] It is possible that God does not exist.
C] Therefore, God does not exist.

Good morning, Homer. Welcome to Moe's
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 14 Sep, 2006 09:26 am
When we go on a road trip, the Sweetiepie Girl drives. Is that what you mean?
0 Replies

aperson

Reply Thu 14 Sep, 2006 04:24 pm
Just because religion isn't our reason, doesn't mean we don't have one. It means we are free to creatre our own.
0 Replies

provoko

Reply Fri 15 Sep, 2006 09:31 am
InfraBlue wrote:
neologist wrote:
I suppose if you were to supply some examples of the limitations necessitated or placed on an all powerful God having free will, it might help me to 'cobble up' some sort of answer.

Saying that a necessary being exists with absolute freedom, to whom absolutely everything is possible with regard to his own volition is like saying he doesn't exist. Even his own existence would be a limit unto himself. Even he creating himself would be a limit unto himself. For God to be absolutely all powerful and absolutely free with absolute volition, he could not possibly exist.

That makes no sense. If I change the words around you're basically saying: The color red can't be red for it can't exist. Haha.

I see the problem in your statement. You're saying god can't be perfect if he makes imperfect things, and that the imperfect things in this universe proves god can't exist. But thats not logical.

If a being has unlimited powers, then that being can create limited things if that being wants to.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 15 Sep, 2006 09:32 am
Well, it's obvious that you completely failed to understand what Infrablue was saying.
0 Replies

provoko

Reply Fri 15 Sep, 2006 10:10 am
Setanta wrote:
Well, it's obvious that you completely failed to understand what Infrablue was saying.

No one else here does and infrablue keeps failing on giving a reason, so why don't you explain and give that reason?
0 Replies

provoko

Reply Fri 15 Sep, 2006 10:19 am
megamanXplosion wrote:
provoko wrote:
megamanXplosion wrote:
What am I? I am nothing more than an arrangement of matter, am I not? To say that my existence has a purpose is to say the existence of a rock, a crystal, or water droplet has a purpose for its existence. The intellectual and emotional faculties I possess do not differentiate me from the rocks, for those faculties are also the result of matter. I cannot entertain the notion that I am fundamentally different from the rocks. As such, hypothetically I can only entertain the notions that the existence of everything has a purpose or nothing at all has a purpose. How am I to argue that a piece of dust floating in the empty abyss of space, millions of miles away from anything, has a purpose for its existence? The only tenable notion is that nothing has a purpose for its existence.

The hell, thats not going to help anyone, haha. You're like that guy at a funeral that just brings everyone's mood even lower. Haha.

You're just validating the thread starters feelings of being insignificant and that life has no point. What are you trying to accomplish, you're informing him that theres a right way to feel meaningless? Hahahaha.

First, life has a point/purpose, if it didn't or if you believe it doesn't, you wouldn't be on these forums. You wouldn't even be alive. Emotionally you wouldn't be able to bring your self to go to school, work or anything. You'd just lay down and die or involve your self in anti social behavior like crime. If life is meaningless, your actions are meaningless, therefore the consequences/benefits of your actions are meaningless. I won't even go through the spiritual damage believing in an existence of pointlessness because the physical damage is severe enough to prove my point.

Believing like this is horribly problematic and is destructive to your self and society.

You are confusing the purpose for the existence of a person with what one chooses to do with one's life--in other words, you are uncritically combining will and purpose. I am currently in school to become a computer programmer and I intend to follow through with that goal, and that is what I will, but that is not the purpose for my existence. The reason I exist is not because I have a grand purpose for my existence but because my parents had sex. Unless, of course, one is to argue that the purpose for their existence was partly to bring myself into this world, but that is a silly notion, to say the least. You can trace this mating/replication, cause and effect, pattern all the way back to the first life forms and still not come to a logical conclusion concerning their purpose for existing--whether one uses the clay theory, deep-hot biosphere theory, bubble theory, or the RNA world theory. The only way one can assign a purpose for the existence of the first life forms is if you bring some kind of god or extraterrestrial race into the equation. Since this was a question for Atheists, the God answer will not work and there is zero evidence that extraterrestrials played any part in the development of life on Earth.

You have also uncritically combined the concepts of purpose and value. I can see the value of bringing a smile to a child's face, to create software that improves the productivity of individuals, and so on; however, while they may be valuable they are not parts of the purpose for my existence. Their smile bringing others joy is not a part of the purpose for their existence either. Because one lacks a purpose for existing does not, in any way, mean that they cannot enjoy their existence or help others enjoy their existence.

But you didn't give any reason to why one should do that (haha), thats why I brought up those values in the first place.

Besides, to me will and purpose are the same thing, they aren't separate concepts. Purpose doesn't have to be attached to an idea of god. It's not like will is for men and purpose is for gods. Nothing logical says it should be that way. I can completely understand that if someone has a purpose there must be a reason for their existence, but god isn't a prerequisite for purpose. I could say people will themselves into existence, so they are solely responsible for their own purpose. You can say the opposite. But see, you did say the opposite, but it just doesn't make any logical sense. Without any purpose whatsoever you would not have a desire for will.

I'm sorry, I should say without believing in purpose you wouldn't have a desire for will. I can't prove purpose exists, but I can look at it logically and explain why people feel depressed and why people create topics like the one here.

Forget purpose and will for a moment. You said previously the universe has no purpose and we're part of the universe, so we don't have purpose. Now, think of an apple seed, it always grows into a tree, it never gets depressed, it never says it can't, it always ends up a tree, same is true for all the animals on this planet. They're functioning on a system that we can detach our selves from. This is true, we can get depressed and stop growing, stop eating, lay down and die. Animals don't do this, maybe higher forms of life like apes (usually when we interfere), but do birds, bees, sharks, plants, and so on do this? No they don't. So if this system exists, what is it? Is it not... purpose or some FORM of purpose? If it was some completely different concept with another name, isn't it functioning like purpose?
0 Replies

megamanXplosion

Reply Fri 15 Sep, 2006 02:14 pm
provoko wrote:
But you didn't give any reason to why one should do that (haha), thats why I brought up those values in the first place.

What did I say people should do? I don't recall saying anything of the sort.

provoko wrote:
Besides, to me will and purpose are the same thing, they aren't separate concepts.

So, if someone wills to have sex with Britney Spears that is part of their purpose in life?

provoko wrote:
I could say people will themselves into existence, so they are solely responsible for their own purpose.

And I could say you're crazy.

provoko wrote:
But see, you did say the opposite, but it just doesn't make any logical sense. Without any purpose whatsoever you would not have a desire for will.

You think people use intelligence to will themselves into existence before their brains exist to give them intelligence. If that seems logical to you then everything would seem logical to you.

provoko wrote:
I'm sorry, I should say without believing in purpose you wouldn't have a desire for will. I can't prove purpose exists, but I can look at it logically and explain why people feel depressed and why people create topics like the one here.

Again, you are uncritically combining the concepts of will and purpose.

provoko wrote:
Forget purpose and will for a moment. You said previously the universe has no purpose and we're part of the universe, so we don't have purpose. Now, think of an apple seed, it always grows into a tree, it never gets depressed, it never says it can't, it always ends up a tree, same is true for all the animals on this planet. They're functioning on a system that we can detach our selves from. This is true, we can get depressed and stop growing, stop eating, lay down and die. Animals don't do this, maybe higher forms of life like apes (usually when we interfere), but do birds, bees, sharks, plants, and so on do this? No they don't. So if this system exists, what is it? Is it not... purpose or some FORM of purpose? If it was some completely different concept with another name, isn't it functioning like purpose?

Please do some research on behavioral genetics.
0 Replies

Doktor S

Reply Fri 15 Sep, 2006 07:16 pm
Quote:

Without any purpose whatsoever you would not have a desire for will.

I smell something generally found in cow pastures...wonder what it could be.
Anyway. I have no illusions that I am here for any purpose whatsoever. Yet, somehow I get up and do things, set goals and accomplish them..and to top it off, I absolutely love my life.
So much for your quasi-thesis.

You see, a purpose assumes a purpose giver. And in this case, it also implies this purpose existed before the existence of the life in question. I see no evidence of such a thing, much less a necessity for one.
On what logic do you assume the existence of and further the necessity for, a purpose for the existence of life, or more specifically an individual life? For one that likes to attempt to arbitrate what constitutes logical behavior, you aren't being very thorough or consistent.

As an aside, inserting inane bits like 'hahaha' into your posts detracts immensely from any serious points you may be trying to make, not that I have noticed any.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Fri 15 Sep, 2006 07:24 pm
Doktor S wrote:
Quote:

Anyway. I have no illusions that I am here for any purpose whatsoever. Yet, somehow I get up and do things, set goals and accomplish them..and to top it off, I absolutely love my life.

You see, a purpose assumes a purpose giver. And in this case, it also implies this purpose existed before the existence of the life in question. I see no evidence of such a thing, much less a necessity for one.
On what logic do you assume the existence of and further the necessity for, a purpose for the existence of life, or more specifically an individual life? For one that likes to attempt to arbitrate what constitutes logical behavior, you aren't being very thorough or consistent.

As an aside, inserting inane bits like 'hahaha' into your posts detracts immensely from any serious points you may be trying to make, not that I have noticed any.

Bet you don't have, and don't have any desire for, kids. Just a wild premonition. How accurate was I?
0 Replies

Doktor S

Reply Fri 15 Sep, 2006 07:26 pm
snood wrote:
Doktor S wrote:
Quote:

Bet you don't have, and don't have any desire for, kids. Just a wild premonition. How accurate was I?

Actually, and mark this down because it is probably the first and likely the last time you will see it: You are absolutely correct.
0 Replies

echi

Reply Fri 15 Sep, 2006 08:14 pm
provoko wrote:
Setanta wrote:

No one else here does and infrablue keeps failing on giving a reason, so why don't you explain and give that reason?

You believe in the existence of a god that you can't explain, can't comprehend and for which you can provide no evidence... and you're asking for a reason? haha
0 Replies

provoko

Reply Fri 15 Sep, 2006 11:55 pm
Doktor S wrote:

I have to act completely serious to discuss this? None of you guys here are serious with this, so why should I. I add the bits of haha because it's funny. Now I'm getting hell for it.

Doktar, you say a purpose assumes a purpose giver... well when you set up goals and accomplish them what are you doing? Are you not giving your self a purpose, are you not your own purpose giver? If you didn't give your self any goals would you love your life?

Purpose does not have to be linked to any supernatural force. Why does this keep coming up? I made it clear that purpose doesn't need the concept of god. Everything I've been discussing doesn't have to do with god or a supernatural force, I did bring up supernatural situations but only to make you think.

megamanXplosion wrote:
Please do some research on behavioral genetics.

Thats nonsense. Please stop bringing up these things up, I'm not talking about genetics or clay theory or whatever else you think. I don't say to you that you should research interpersonal communications, psycology or metaphysics. I'm trying to make you think beyond that, and beyond god, and beyond a meaningless universe.

I may seem inconsistent because I'm throwing many different ideas at you guys all at once, to make you think. I'm sorry to confuse anyone.

I blame you megamanXplosion, for some reason I can't get through to you. When I say two concepts are one and the same you say I'm "uncritically combining the concepts of will and purpose." The hell man, I'm arguing that they're both the same. If I said god is a goat, you probably would say that I'm "uncritically combining the concepts of god and animal." Stop that! It's obvious what I'm doing and you're supposed to think about it.

I'm gonna dissect megamanXplosion previous reply because this is where I first started to discuss my point and got lost doing so:

megamanXplosion wrote:
Death allows one to live, to seek happiness, and prevents the beings from becoming completely miserable, but what makes it possible for a being to seek happiness? Life allows this to occur. Every newborn is a new opportunity to seek happiness. Again, death shall come to its rescue in due time to prevent absolute misery. The subject becomes more interesting when one considers the genetics of the newborns. The newborns share your genetic code so, in a way, it is as if you still live on, just that you do not know it. Your parents live on through you. Your grandparents live on through you. Your great grandparents live on through you. The Cro-Magnon people live on through you. Death has come to the rescue for all and life has continued as before.

Thats ridiculous. Seriously, if this is one of the multiple theories you've listed, it's the worst one. The first man and woman on this planet aren't living 6 billion different lives, especially not my life. This doesn't make me feel better about life and death. So in taking your advice, I should have children so I can live my life through them even after death?... Thats has too many problems to discuss.

Quote:
I see absolutely no need to reconcile my existence with the cycle of life and death. Ever since the first life on Earth existed, I was, to this day, I am, and five hundred years from now, I shall be.

Thats delusional, if you have kids, you'll ruin their lives thinking that way.

Quote:
I need not cope with my insignificance in this Universe. The Universe itself is insignificant. Woolsey Teller, in his book "The Atheism of Astronomy," gives an accurate perspective of the Universe: "It is estimated to have taken cosmic evolution some 20,000,000 million years to produce our universe as we see it today.... When one truly considers the amount of matter in the Universe, in comparison to the vast abyss of nothingness, and how long it has taken to get this way, the Universe also seems insignificant.

So how does this help the thread starter? It doesn't! Thats been my whole point from the get go, unfortunately I got side tract with my own advice. You haven't given him one bit of advice that actually makes him feel good about himself or more importantly.. useful advice.

Quote:
I think I have already explained my view of death. It is a wonderful mechanism. I am not afraid of death. My only fear in relation to death is that I may not have enjoyed my life or that I may not have benefited the world before I go into that dark night.

I think one does fear death when they believe they live through their children after their gone. Your children's lives are their own, separate from yours.

Quote:
What am I? I am nothing more than an arrangement of matter, am I not? To say that my existence has a purpose is to say the existence of a rock, a crystal, or water droplet has a purpose for its existence.

I agree.

Quote:
The intellectual and emotional faculties I possess do not differentiate me from the rocks, for those faculties are also the result of matter. I cannot entertain the notion that I am fundamentally different from the rocks.

I agree.

Quote:
As such, hypothetically I can only entertain the notions that the existence of everything has a purpose or nothing at all has a purpose.

Maybe.

Quote:
How am I to argue that a piece of dust floating in the empty abyss of space, millions of miles away from anything, has a purpose for its existence? The only tenable notion is that nothing has a purpose for its existence.

.... oh man, you had something there and then you just gave up. I'm really pulling out my hair reading this. How do you know dust doesn't have purpose, how do you know it does have purpose!?

Let me ask you, does it really matter if dust has or doesn't have purpose!? I mean... the thread starter comes to these forums obviously depressed and you tell him some seriously bad advice on parenthood to thwart his fears on death. Then you validate his insecurities by telling him his life is insignificant and his life is indeed purposeless, when interpreted this in the wrong way, even in the right way, it doesn't make someone feel good about their life. Was that your goal, was your will to make him feel worse?

I think my advice and explanation on page 7 was much better for the thread starter. Although, I shouldn't have elaborated or mixed in more ideas/concepts in later replies.
0 Replies