Atheists - what drives you?

real life

Reply Sun 10 Sep, 2006 06:57 pm
Doktor S wrote:
Thank you, real life, for posting a link to my autotheism thread. Now, the discerning reader can separate your off the wall propaganda from my actual position.
Anyone with a modicum of intelligence can tell I have never claimed to be 'the' god, just my own.

By the way, since you like to try to twist this bit into every thread you can wedge it in...............

Of course, you will nowhere find me claiming that you have termed yourself 'the' god.

You stated there was one god, you.

It is no surprise that you would try to twist my statement to justify your ridiculous error.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sun 10 Sep, 2006 08:16 pm
Remember that Satan promised Eve that she would be like God, knowing and deciding for herself what was good and what was bad. One who makes himself god of his own life is doing just that, deciding moral issues based on his own comprehension. I have no doubt that this sometimes results in a morally higher ground for the humanistic minded atheist, especially when compared to the excesses of many religionists. Nevertheless, it is the same issue as raised in the Garden of Eden, namely: does God have the right to set standards for the human race?

What has befuddled me most about your position, Doc, is not that you take it; it is, after all, a perfectly logical point of view. But what I can't understand is how you can say your decision was/is not the result of free will; for if you are determined by any sort of circumstance, then you cannot be god unto yourself.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Sun 10 Sep, 2006 10:39 pm
nelogist wrote:
Nevertheless, it is the same issue as raised in the Garden of Eden, namely: does God have the right to set standards for the human race?

Assuming there is a god, and assuming that becaue of this god has the right to set standards for the human race, then there is still fact that the human race has the right to accept those standards or not.

Quote:
. . . for if you are determined by any sort of circumstance, then you cannot be god unto yourself.

This would apply to God as well, though. God is determined by the circumstance of omnipotence.
0 Replies

Doktor S

Reply Sun 10 Sep, 2006 10:47 pm
real life wrote:

It is no surprise that you would try to twist my statement to justify your ridiculous error.

It is just absurd that you of all people would find fault with 'twisting statements'. Classic fault projection.
0 Replies

Doktor S

Reply Sun 10 Sep, 2006 10:52 pm
neologist wrote:

What has befuddled me most about your position, Doc, is not that you take it; it is, after all, a perfectly logical point of view. But what I can't understand is how you can say your decision was/is not the result of free will; for if you are determined by any sort of circumstance, then you cannot be god unto yourself.

The illusion of freewill is pragmatic, and it works for me. Just because I don't feel any magical X factor is required doesn't seem to undermine my position at all. Although I will grant you that a contradiction does seem evident on the surface, it is a contradiction born of dualistic thinking. I try to steer away from that sort of thing.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Sun 10 Sep, 2006 11:27 pm
Doktor S wrote:
real life wrote:

It is just absurd that you of all people would find fault with 'twisting statements'. Classic fault projection.

Deny, if you can, that you made the earlier statement that there is one god, you.

Or produce a statement from me where I said you claimed to be 'the' god.

Should be easy if you're telling the truth.

If you cannot, then it is clear you twisted my statement.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sun 10 Sep, 2006 11:36 pm
InfraBlue wrote:
neologist wrote:
Nevertheless, it is the same issue as raised in the Garden of Eden, namely: does God have the right to set standards for the human race?

Assuming there is a god, and assuming that becaue of this god has the right to set standards for the human race, then there is still fact that the human race has the right to accept those standards or not.
You are absolutely right. However, If there is a God, rejection of those standards may have consequences.
InfraBlue wrote:

Quote:
. . . for if you are determined by any sort of circumstance, then you cannot be god unto yourself.

This would apply to God as well, though. God is determined by the circumstance of omnipotence.
That is by your definition of omnipotence, a word not found in the Bible. God describes himself by his name, Jehovah, which means 'He who causes to become'. This would imply that he can do whatever he durn well pleases. That is, he accepts no limitations or determinants.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sun 10 Sep, 2006 11:40 pm
Doktor S wrote:
neologist wrote:

The illusion of freewill is pragmatic, and it works for me. Just because I don't feel any magical X factor is required doesn't seem to undermine my position at all. Although I will grant you that a contradiction does seem evident on the surface, it is a contradiction born of dualistic thinking. I try to steer away from that sort of thing.
Intellectual isolation may make one sleep better, but dawn cannot be postponed.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Mon 11 Sep, 2006 09:58 pm
neologist wrote:
InfraBlue wrote:

You are absolutely right. However, If there is a God, rejection of those standards may have consequences.

Like what?

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

That is by your definition of omnipotence, a word not found in the Bible. God describes himself by his name, Jehovah, which means 'He who causes to become'. This would imply that he can do whatever he durn well pleases. That is, he accepts no limitations or determinants.

But isn't 'he who causes to become' a determinant itself?
Also, you're reading something else into 'he who causes to become' when you define it as being "'he accepts no limitations or determinants," which sounds like a roundabout way of describing omnipotence.
0 Replies

provoko

Reply Tue 12 Sep, 2006 12:01 pm
megamanXplosion wrote:
What am I? I am nothing more than an arrangement of matter, am I not? To say that my existence has a purpose is to say the existence of a rock, a crystal, or water droplet has a purpose for its existence. The intellectual and emotional faculties I possess do not differentiate me from the rocks, for those faculties are also the result of matter. I cannot entertain the notion that I am fundamentally different from the rocks. As such, hypothetically I can only entertain the notions that the existence of everything has a purpose or nothing at all has a purpose. How am I to argue that a piece of dust floating in the empty abyss of space, millions of miles away from anything, has a purpose for its existence? The only tenable notion is that nothing has a purpose for its existence.

The hell, thats not going to help anyone, haha. You're like that guy at a funeral that just brings everyone's mood even lower. Haha.

You're just validating the thread starters feelings of being insignificant and that life has no point. What are you trying to accomplish, you're informing him that theres a right way to feel meaningless? Hahahaha.

First, life has a point/purpose, if it didn't or if you believe it doesn't, you wouldn't be on these forums. You wouldn't even be alive. Emotionally you wouldn't be able to bring your self to go to school, work or anything. You'd just lay down and die or involve your self in anti social behavior like crime. If life is meaningless, your actions are meaningless, therefore the consequences/benefits of your actions are meaningless. I won't even go through the spiritual damage believing in an existence of pointlessness because the physical damage is severe enough to prove my point.

Believing like this is horribly problematic and is destructive to your self and society.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Tue 12 Sep, 2006 05:32 pm
InfraBlue wrote:
neologist wrote:
InfraBlue wrote:

Like what?

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

But isn't 'he who causes to become' a determinant itself?
Also, you're reading something else into 'he who causes to become' when you define it as being "'he accepts no limitations or determinants," which sounds like a roundabout way of describing omnipotence.
I suppose if you were to supply some examples of the limitations necessitated or placed on an all powerful God having free will, it might help me to 'cobble up' some sort of answer.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Tue 12 Sep, 2006 09:23 pm
neologist wrote:
I suppose if you were to supply some examples of the limitations necessitated or placed on an all powerful God having free will, it might help me to 'cobble up' some sort of answer.

Saying that a necessary being exists with absolute freedom, to whom absolutely everything is possible with regard to his own volition is like saying he doesn't exist. Even his own existence would be a limit unto himself. Even he creating himself would be a limit unto himself. For God to be absolutely all powerful and absolutely free with absolute volition, he could not possibly exist.
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Tue 12 Sep, 2006 09:42 pm
Quote:

Ignorance......
0 Replies

Doktor S

Reply Tue 12 Sep, 2006 09:44 pm
gungasnake wrote:
Quote:

Ignorance......

Where as you, obviously, possess occult knowledge regarding the inner mechanics of the universe.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Tue 12 Sep, 2006 09:47 pm
InfraBlue wrote:
neologist wrote:

Saying that a necessary being exists with absolute freedom, to whom absolutely everything is possible with regard to his own volition is like saying he doesn't exist. Even his own existence would be a limit unto himself. Even he creating himself would be a limit unto himself. For God to be absolutely all powerful and absolutely free with absolute volition, he could not possibly exist.
And the reason is. . . .?
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Tue 12 Sep, 2006 10:14 pm
neologist wrote:
InfraBlue wrote:
neologist wrote:

Existence itself would be a limit to the absolute possibility, and absolute freedom, and absolute volition of God .
0 Replies

megamanXplosion

Reply Wed 13 Sep, 2006 06:43 am
provoko wrote:
megamanXplosion wrote:
What am I? I am nothing more than an arrangement of matter, am I not? To say that my existence has a purpose is to say the existence of a rock, a crystal, or water droplet has a purpose for its existence. The intellectual and emotional faculties I possess do not differentiate me from the rocks, for those faculties are also the result of matter. I cannot entertain the notion that I am fundamentally different from the rocks. As such, hypothetically I can only entertain the notions that the existence of everything has a purpose or nothing at all has a purpose. How am I to argue that a piece of dust floating in the empty abyss of space, millions of miles away from anything, has a purpose for its existence? The only tenable notion is that nothing has a purpose for its existence.

The hell, thats not going to help anyone, haha. You're like that guy at a funeral that just brings everyone's mood even lower. Haha.

You're just validating the thread starters feelings of being insignificant and that life has no point. What are you trying to accomplish, you're informing him that theres a right way to feel meaningless? Hahahaha.

First, life has a point/purpose, if it didn't or if you believe it doesn't, you wouldn't be on these forums. You wouldn't even be alive. Emotionally you wouldn't be able to bring your self to go to school, work or anything. You'd just lay down and die or involve your self in anti social behavior like crime. If life is meaningless, your actions are meaningless, therefore the consequences/benefits of your actions are meaningless. I won't even go through the spiritual damage believing in an existence of pointlessness because the physical damage is severe enough to prove my point.

Believing like this is horribly problematic and is destructive to your self and society.

You are confusing the purpose for the existence of a person with what one chooses to do with one's life--in other words, you are uncritically combining will and purpose. I am currently in school to become a computer programmer and I intend to follow through with that goal, and that is what I will, but that is not the purpose for my existence. The reason I exist is not because I have a grand purpose for my existence but because my parents had sex. Unless, of course, one is to argue that the purpose for their existence was partly to bring myself into this world, but that is a silly notion, to say the least. You can trace this mating/replication, cause and effect, pattern all the way back to the first life forms and still not come to a logical conclusion concerning their purpose for existing--whether one uses the clay theory, deep-hot biosphere theory, bubble theory, or the RNA world theory. The only way one can assign a purpose for the existence of the first life forms is if you bring some kind of god or extraterrestrial race into the equation. Since this was a question for Atheists, the God answer will not work and there is zero evidence that extraterrestrials played any part in the development of life on Earth.

You have also uncritically combined the concepts of purpose and value. I can see the value of bringing a smile to a child's face, to create software that improves the productivity of individuals, and so on; however, while they may be valuable they are not parts of the purpose for my existence. Their smile bringing others joy is not a part of the purpose for their existence either. Because one lacks a purpose for existing does not, in any way, mean that they cannot enjoy their existence or help others enjoy their existence.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Wed 13 Sep, 2006 07:27 am
InfraBlue wrote:
neologist wrote:
InfraBlue wrote:
neologist wrote:

Existence itself would be a limit to the absolute possibility, and absolute freedom, and absolute volition of God .
Your a really hard guy to pin down.

And the reason is. . . ?
0 Replies

agrote

Reply Wed 13 Sep, 2006 04:52 pm
neologist wrote:
And the reason is. . . ?

He's already given you a reason.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Wed 13 Sep, 2006 05:53 pm
He said that for God to be absolutely free and all powerful, he could not exist.

That's a reason?
0 Replies