Words That are Somewhat Obscure, But Still Quite Usable

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Thu 14 Sep, 2006 02:07 pm
Yuzz

as in "My alphabet starts with this letter called Yuzz... it's the letter I use to spell Yuzz-a-ma-tuzz."
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Thu 14 Sep, 2006 02:09 pm
Brandon, if you cannot see what I meant, either voluntarily or otherwise, it's irrelevant to me to pursue..
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Thu 14 Sep, 2006 02:14 pm
Francis wrote:
Brandon, if you cannot see what I meant, either voluntarily or otherwise, it's irrelevant to me to pursue..

So, basically, you're a liar. I see. Incidentally, while lying, you inadvertantly described yourself:

Francis wrote:
...while using your supposed obscure words to bash other posters, who came here only with learning intentions...

When I asked how I had done this, you replied as follows:

Francis wrote:
My atticisms, and related lenity, intended to be paciferous, only meet bletcherous comments...

I agree, there's no point to continuing with you. See you around the board.
0 Replies

stuh505

Reply Thu 14 Sep, 2006 08:42 pm
Setanta & Francis,

Is there a history here that I haven't seen? I am very confused why you are being so hostile to Brandon. Setanta, you clearly provoked Brandon on this thread. And Francis, you accused Brandon of bashing other posters, but he clearly has not done so anywhere on this thread...somewhere else? Then Setanta, you called him paranoid and delusive for simply asking why you were insulting him. Then Francis, you made your best attempt to show off your vocabulary by insulting Brandon again, quite a hypocritical thing to do.
Throughout the entire bout, Brandon has not so much as hinted hostility back at either of you. Will you two please act your age?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 14 Sep, 2006 10:58 pm
Setanta wrote:
OK, Wabbit, i'm callin' yer bluff . . .

Use feuter properly in a sentence.

Ya know, I have always spelled that "fewter".

I just checked, and that is also correct.
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Fri 15 Sep, 2006 01:57 am
Stuh, one has to be nanocephalous in order to nuncupate as you do...
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 15 Sep, 2006 02:10 am
Nomina capta sunt. :wink:
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Fri 15 Sep, 2006 02:15 am
Francis wrote:
Stuh, one has to be nanocephalous in order to nuncupate as you do...

I would ask you to get with the spirit of the proceedings. This was indeed, as you suggested, intended to be a place where people could come to learn and increase their vocabularies. I'm sure that when you start a thread you would like some elementary respect shown to the purpose you intended, so please show this respect to others. Thank you.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Fri 15 Sep, 2006 02:20 am
obdurate - adj - ()1 a. Stubbornly persistent in wrongdoing b. hardened in feelings (2) Resistant to persuasion or softening influences

Examples:
(1) The book exposes the maddeningly irrational and obdurate thinking of the airlines when it comes to taking security measures that cost money.
(2) If they have not been sufficiently discouraged by their idol finding himself in dire straits, they should be so by one more obdurate fact - he lied about it.
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Fri 15 Sep, 2006 03:05 am
Brandon, can you stop giving words that, supposedly, apply to what you "think" the other posters are?

Then we can proceed with the purpose you intended...
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Fri 15 Sep, 2006 03:11 am
Walter Hinteler wrote:
Nomina capta sunt. :wink:

No doubt about that, Walter! Very Happy
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Fri 15 Sep, 2006 05:03 am
Francis wrote:
Brandon, can you stop giving words that, supposedly, apply to what you "think" the other posters are?

Then we can proceed with the purpose you intended...

I wasn't doing that at all. Being lazy, I have simply copied a few of the words from the vocabulary part of my own Web page. I haven't touched that list in a few years. The particular words I've taken from the 30 odd words on my page were not intended to have any significance of the kind you suggest.
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Fri 15 Sep, 2006 05:24 am
Let's put the biloquism aside and try more gracile subjects.
On another thread people are plunged in gynics...
0 Replies

stuh505

Reply Fri 15 Sep, 2006 07:13 am
Francis wrote:
Let's put the biloquism aside and try more gracile subjects.
On another thread people are plunged in gynics...

Preach it to yourself, wormtongue.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Fri 15 Sep, 2006 07:20 am
evanescent -adj

1. Vanishing or likely to vanish like vapor. ; fading away; fleeting.
2. tending to become imperceptible; scarcely perceptible.

Example: Popularity is an evanescent, fickle thing.
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Fri 15 Sep, 2006 07:21 am
Stuh - that's a poor literary reference...
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Fri 15 Sep, 2006 07:23 am
That's a nice word, Brandon, even though classic in Europe.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Fri 15 Sep, 2006 07:23 am
Brandon9000 wrote:
Setanta wrote:
You consider ineluctable to be an obscure word? Earlier, you made the same inferential claim about sobriquet. What standard of vocabulary are you using here . . . Yogi Berra's?

Even if you choose to come into my threads to post purely gratuitous insults, you may be sure that I won't lower myself to doing the same in your threads.

Bookmarking....
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Fri 15 Sep, 2006 07:27 am
Francis wrote:
That's a nice word, Brandon, even though classic in Europe.

There are words that everyone knows, and words that almost no one knows, but it's the words in between that I find fascinating.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Fri 15 Sep, 2006 07:28 am
ubiquitous  /yu-bik-wi-tus/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[yoo-bik-wi-tuhs] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation

-adjective existing or being everywhere, esp. at the same time; omnipresent: ubiquitous fog; ubiquitous little ants.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I had someone ask me what this meant the other day.

Try working at banks in the US, Francis, and you'll see exactly how obscure some of these words are....
0 Replies