The time of the lie

PDiddie

Reply Wed 4 Jun, 2003 04:09 pm
Jayson Blair. The saga of Private Lynch. The Catholic priests who molested, then hid. Even Sammy "Say It Ain't" Sosa.

"Baghdad Bob". Stephen Glass. Martha Stewart. And not so long ago, Ken Lay, Bernhard Ebbers, and Arthur Andersen.

Did I mention weapons of mass destruction?

Quote:
IT IS SAID that each of society's institutions is a crystallization of the dominant values of the culture. If so, we appear to be living in the time of the lie.

Lying has traditionally been seen as an inevitable part of politics. A recent study by political scientists in Britain said, "Politics should be regarded as less like an exercise in producing truthful statements and more like a poker game" in which deception is understood.

This cynical view appears to be implicitly endorsed by the current administration, which has so inundated us with lies that most of them pass unnoticed. Unlike the lies about sex that are the legacy of our previous president, the ones being perpetrated by Bush & Co. appear more consequential.

In the aftermath of the war, we are left with the argument that while we have found no significant evidence of chemical, biological or nuclear weaponry, Saddam Hussein was a despot who mistreated his own people and the war was therefore justified. Contrary to the administration's prewar claims, the CIA, FBI and British intelligence have found no link between al-Qaida and Iraq.

On the home front, President Bush proclaimed that a report by leading economists concluded that the economy would grow by 3.3 percent in 2003 if his tax cut proposals were adopted. No such report exists.

To explain why he has turned a $236 billion budget surplus into a projected $307 billion deficit in 2004, the president claimed that he had said during the campaign that he would allow the federal budget to go into deficit in times of war, recession or national emergency but never imagined he would have a "trifecta." Actually, Mr. Bush never made such a campaign statement. These three caveats on deficits were promulgated by Al Gore.

Listen to President Bush in December 2001 explaining publicly how he learned about the terrorist attacks three months before: "I was in Florida. And ... I was sitting outside [an elementary school] classroom waiting to go in, and I saw an airplane hit the tower - the TV was obviously on, and I used to fly myself, and I said, 'There's one terrible pilot.'"

This account is obviously false since network cameras were not trained on the towers at the time the first airliner hit; it was only later that amateur video of this event was broadcast.

The president also said to the father of twins, "I've been to war. I've raised twins. If I had a choice, I'd rather go to war." Mr. Bush was a member of the Texas Air National Guard between 1968 and 1973 and never left the country in pursuit of his duties.

It's too facile to say that all politicians lie and that leaders commonly deceive in pursuit of their goals.

We are entitled to expect more from someone who campaigned on a pledge to "restore integrity to the White House."

Bush Shines in the Time of the Lie

So... have we become a planet of used-car salesmen? And what becomes of us if we have?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,813 • Replies: 51
No top replies

PDiddie

Reply Fri 6 Jun, 2003 04:36 am
"Iraq must disarm.

And for the sake of peace, we will lead a coalition of the willing to disarm Iraq of weapons of mass destruction."

George W. Bush has told us this lie about a million times.

In his address at the United Nations, in his SOFU address, at stumps for Republican Congressional candidates, he thumped the lecturn for emphasis--Iraq*thump*must*thump*disarm*thump*--as he repeated the lie, over and over and over.

This statement--this lie-- was the pretext for invasion. Not mass graves. Not "brutal dictatorship".

Iraq repeatedly denied having WMD, the inspectors found none, yet the President insisted....

This lie is MUCH MORE SERIOUS than "I did not have sexual relations..."

Bush lied, and people died.

Today, and every day from now until Election Day, I am going to repeat Bush's lie--to people I see, on boards that I post.

Please do the same.

If you do, they will be defeated.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 6 Jun, 2003 04:54 am
The selective hearing that applies to Bush supporters is like a Berlin wall of the mind. No sane thought crosses over without getting shot at.
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Fri 6 Jun, 2003 04:57 am
The Wall fell, ed.

Remember? And not any 'one brick at atime'.

Several bricks at a time.

Whole sections at once.
0 Replies

sweetcomplication

Reply Fri 6 Jun, 2003 01:52 pm
EB: I love the way your mind works. Please tell me that was original! Wow Cool .
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 6 Jun, 2003 04:43 pm
Embarrassed It was me, all right. Thanks.

PDiddie
One of my recurrent themes is, the US was very similar to its current state before the Great Depression. The one difference, of course, being the loose cannon that is the G Bush administration. It took a Great Depression and WW II to bring Americans to a state in which they recognized the value of a New Deal. I don't know what can shake the public of today from its torpor. I truly am at a loss.
0 Replies

sweetcomplication

Reply Sat 7 Jun, 2003 11:20 pm
EB: well, it's looking like Great Depression II is fast approaching but WWIII won't be headed by any FDR and so we need to find a candidate ASAP and get behind her/him w/o the usual factional squabbling or republican dirty tricks . . . and then I wake up.

All I want is some hope, just gimme some hope (w/apologies to J. Lennon).
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Mon 9 Jun, 2003 02:33 pm
Dead for a Lie by Mike McArdle

I didn't know Kirk Straseskie, in fact my only contact with him was reading a newspaper article about his death. Straseskie was a Marine who was killed in Iraq on May 19th of this year. He drowned after leaping into a canal to save four fellow Marines whose helicopter had crashed. By the time Straseskie was killed the newspapers and embedded reporters were on their way home. The staged-managed tearing down of the Hussein statue was just a memory. The little man who had started the war had taken his dress-up victory lap on the USS Abraham Lincoln and had film in the can for his reelection effort next year. The 24/7 cable news channels had moved on to Laci Peterson.

So not much attention was paid to Kirk Straseskie's death. The war is perceived as being over and the fate of the new casualties only resonates in hometowns like Beaver Dam, Wisconsin, where Straseskie grew up.

Straseskie and the other Marines that he tried to save probably didn't ask a lot of questions about why they were in Iraq. A good serviceman follows orders and leaves the larger decisions for others. They had more than enough to occupy them without dwelling on the political issues that surrounded the war.

But Straseskie's father had seen enough of the war to know that Iraq did not and in fact had never posed any threat to the United States, as the President had claimed. John Straseskie, who served in the Army and National Guard for 26 years, expressed anger at the loss of his son in a war that that he now thinks was sold under false pretenses. "He put our troops over there to finish what his dad didn't do. They found no weapons of mass destruction," he told the Capital Times, a Madison, WI newspaper.

Now, far too late to save to save Kirk Straseskie or console his father, the press and the intelligence community have begun to wake up to the fact that they and the American people were deceived. We're finding out that Colin Powell denounced some of the claims about Iraqi weapons as "bullshit" before his speech to the UN in February. A newly formed group called Veteran Intelligence Professionals for Sanity wrote a letter to the President protesting "a policy and intelligence fiasco of monumental proportions." An Army intelligence officer told Time Magazine that Donald Rumsfeld was "deeply, almost pathologically, distorting the intelligence". Greg Thielmann, recently retired from the State Department Bureau of Intelligence and Research says that the Bush administration "was grossly distorting the intelligence" on both weapons and the Iraq-Al Qaida connection.

Kirk Straseskie will never have children or find his life's work or be able to comfort his parents as they grow older. His life was ended sixty years prematurely because of a lie told by his government, the government that he volunteered to fight for. He almost certainly went to his death believing that he was in Iraq to defend Americans when it is now obvious that he was not.

Tony Blair in England will now face a parliamentary inquiry on why the rationale for the war now appears to have been false and U.S. Senate committees are at least talking about pursuing their own investigation. But the gravity and result of the deception demands a lot more than that.

If this administration cherry-picked the intelligence data or ignored the real data in order to justify a pre-ordained conclusion, then they murdered Kirk Straseskie and the four other Marines that he tried to save, and dozens of other U.S. soldiers. And they also murdered a few thousand Iraqi civilians who in the absence of weapons have become the back-up excuse for the war (we had to go to war now to "liberate" the Iraqis).

If they sent human beings into harm's way under false pretenses then they have committed a crime, a crime against America, a crime against Iraq, a crime against humanity. And if there were real justice in the world then Bush and Cheney and Rumsfeld and Wolfowitz would be placed on trial, not here, but in The Hague where the international law that they have expressed such utter contempt for is enforced.

Colin Powell? He should receive a worse punishment. He should have to go to Beaver Dam, Wisconsin and explain to fellow vet John Straseskie why he helped send Straseskie's son to his death for "bullshit."
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Mon 9 Jun, 2003 02:37 pm
<THUD>
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Sat 14 Jun, 2003 11:41 am
Even David Broder is starting to get it.

Bush sounds sincere--but he lies like a rug.

Broder describes the bait:

Quote:
[President Bush's] advocacy seems entirely sincere .....

In his two most recent State of the Union addresses and in dozens of speeches around the country, this president has urged Americans to devote time and energy to community projects. And he has pledged his best efforts to expand government programs of national service.

At his road stops, Bush likes to introduce AmeriCorps workers, while telling audiences that "we'll increase AmeriCorps by 50 percent." That goal was also set forth in the president's budget for fiscal 2004, which administration documents said would take AmeriCorps up from 50,000 to 75,000 people.

Then the switch:

Quote:
But despite the rhetoric, skeptics noted that Bush actually reduced his request for AmeriCorps grants from $364 million for fiscal 2003 to $324 million for fiscal 2004.

Remember when the Administration "forgot" to budget for Afghani reconstruction?

Standard operating procedure for these guys.

Like falling off the scooter; aWol wants the photo op bad, but when it comes time to find the "on" switch, he gets a little, well, clumsy.

Then again, maybe we don't want him to get comfortable with pushing buttons....
0 Replies

GreenEyes

Reply Wed 18 Jun, 2003 01:22 am
I am am member of the Irish Roman Catholud Apostolic Church... because I was born to it. Mike and his Mom lived in Texas too long... Y
all are texas toast... we hate you!
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Wed 18 Jun, 2003 04:06 am
um?
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Sat 21 Jun, 2003 07:59 am
While we wait for Green Eyes to return and explain whatever that mini-screed up there means, here's another example of administration prevarication:

Report by EPA Leaves Out Data on Climate Change

The Environmental Protection Agency is preparing to publish a draft report next week on the state of the environment, but after editing by the White House, a long section describing risks from rising global temperatures has been whittled to a few noncommittal paragraphs.

Among the deletions were conclusions about the likely human contribution to warming from a 2001 report on climate by the National Research Council that the White House had commissioned and that President Bush had endorsed in speeches that year. White House officials also deleted a reference to a 1999 study showing that global temperatures had risen sharply in the previous decade compared with the last 1,000 years. In its place, administration officials added a reference to a new study, partly financed by the American Petroleum Institute, questioning that conclusion.

In the end, E.P.A. staff members, after discussions with administration officials, said they decided to delete the entire discussion to avoid criticism that they were selectively filtering science to suit policy.

Now....hasn't this horseshit gone on long enough?

Who were the "administration officials"?

Also, "Who put that student's thesis in the British report?" And "Who put the Niger-uranium line in the State of the Union speech?"

Get crackin', all you reporters. There are Pulitzers in the pipeline.
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Thu 26 Jun, 2003 11:08 am
The Republican leader in the Senate said that Iraq's weapons of mass destruction was not the main justification for the US-led invasion of Iraq.

"I'm not sure that's the major reason we went to war," Senate Majority Leader Bill Frist told NBC's Today Show.

Hmmmmmmmm................ Evil or Very Mad

"I am absolutely convinced, based on the information that's been given to me, that the weapon of mass destruction which can kill more people than an atomic bomb -- that is, biological weapons -- is in the hands of the leadership of Iraq."
Bill Frist
MSNBC Interview
January 10, 2003

"What is unique about Iraq compared to, I would argue, any other country in the world, in this juncture, is the exhaustion of diplomacy thus far, and, No. 2, this intersection of weapons of mass destruction."
Bill Frist
NewsHour Interview
January 22, 2003

"Iraq is a grave threat to this nation. It desires to acquire and use weapons of mass terror and is run by a despot with a proven record of willingness to use them. Iraq has had 12 years to comply with UN requirements for disarmament and has failed to do so. The president is right to say its time has run out."
Bill Frist
Press Release
January 28, 2003

Let there be no mistake about our nation's purpose in confronting Iraq: Saddam Hussein's regime poses a clear threat to the people of United States, its friends and its allies, and it is a threat that we must address now."
Bill Frist
Senate Speech
March 7, 2003

"Getting rid of Saddam Hussein's regime is our best inoculation. Destroying once and for all his weapons of disease and death is a vaccination for the world."
Dr. Bill Frist
Washington Post op-ed
March 16, 2003

The United States . . . is now at war "so we will not ever see" what terrorists could do "if supplied with weapons of mass destruction by Saddam Hussein."
Bill Frist
Senate Debate
March 20, 2003

"We simply cannot live in fear of a ruthless dictator, aggressor and terrorist such as Saddam Hussein, who possesses the world's most deadly weapons."
Bill Frist
Speech to American Israel Political Action Committee
March 31, 2003

"I am not eager to send young Americans into harm's way in Iraq, or to see innocent people killed or hurt in military operations. Given all of the facts and circumstances known to us, however, I am convinced that if we wait, a threat will continue to materialize in Iraq that could cause incalculable damage to world peace in general, and to the United States in particular."
Bill Frist
Letter to Future of Freedom Foundation
March, 2003

I would say that Frist, physician and majority leader, has officially earned an honorary doctorate in Revisionism from Rush Limbaugh's College of Advanced Conservative Studies.
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Wed 9 Jul, 2003 07:42 pm
Laugh along with Ari:

"Just because something didn't make it to the level where it should have been included in a presidential speech, in hindsight, doesn't mean the information was necessarily inaccurate," Mr. Fleischer said.

ha ha

"I think the burden is on those people who think he didn't have weapons of mass destruction to tell the world where they are."

ha ha HA

NYT Online
0 Replies

sweetcomplication

Reply Wed 9 Jul, 2003 08:14 pm
Didn't Ari resign? So, when does it become effective?
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Sat 19 Jul, 2003 01:44 pm
Guerrillas in the MistMaj. Gen. Buford Blount III
May 27, 2003

I believe these are local attacks. I don't see it on a national level.
Lt. Gen. David D. McKiernan
June 4, 2003

We do not see signs of central command and control direction . . . these are groups that are organized, but they're small; they may be five or six men conducting isolated attacks against our soldiers.
L. Paul Bremer
June 12, 2003

This is not guerrilla warfare; it is not close to guerrilla warfare because it's not coordinated, it's not organized, and it's not led.
Major General Ray Odierno
June 18, 2003

There's a guerrilla war there but we can win it.
Paul Wolfowitz
Testimony before the House Armed Services Committee
June 18, 2003

Dangerous pockets of the old regime remain loyal to it and they, along with their terrorist allies, are behind deadly attacks designed to kill and intimidate coalition forces and innocent Iraqis.
George W. Bush
Radio Address
June 21, 2003

It's just weird. It's totally unconventional. It's guerrilla warfare.
Capt. Burris Wollsieffer
June 23, 2003

I think it is worth emphasizing that these guys lack the two classical ingredients of a victory in a so-called guerrilla war if that's what you want to say they're conducting. They lack the sympathy of the population and they lack any serious source of external support.
Paul Wolfowitz
Washington Post Interview
June 26, 2003

Q: We've gone from a traditional, if you will, set of circumstances, rules of engagement, to more of a guerrilla war. Isn't that accurate?
Rumsfeld: I don't know that I would use the word.
Donald Rumsfeld
Press Interview (transcript DOD)
June 27, 2003

America has to understand that we've gone from a conventional war that ended May 1 to an unconventional war.
Centcom spokesman Capt. Jeff Fitzgibbons
Washington Post Interview
June 29, 2003

I guess the reason I don't use the phrase "guerrilla war" is because there isn't one, and it would be a misunderstanding and a miscommunication to you and to the people of the country and the world.
Donald Rumsfeld
Press Briefing (transcript DOD)
June 30, 2003

We have not been able to detect any sort of coordinated, synchronized, regional or national-level operations that have been conducted against us.
Lt. Gen. Ricardo Sanchez
USA Today Interview
July 2, 2003

Q: Defense Secretary Rumsfeld says this is not a guerrilla war. How would the President describe it?
Fleischer: The President describes this as people who are loyal to the former regime still fighting American forces who are there, and in the process, they are becoming enemies of the Iraqi people.
Ari Fleischer
Press Briefing
July 2, 2003

(Attacks continue to plague coalition forces in Iraq, but Franks said he would not label them a "guerrilla effort" for two reasons:) "One, guerrilla and insurgency operations are supported by the people, and I've demonstrated to my own satisfaction that the people of Iraq do not support the violence that we're seeing right now."
Gen. Tommy Franks
Testimony Before the House Armed Services Committee
July 10, 2003

Q: How organized is the resistance?
Rumsfeld: There's a lot of debate in the intelligence community on that, and I guess the short answer is I don't know. I think it's very clear that it's coordinated in regions and areas, cities, in the north particularly. To what extent is it organized throughout the country, I think there isn't any conviction about that yet.
Donald Rumsfeld
NBC Meet the Press
July 13, 2003

People can call it what they want. I characterize it the way I just did, which is what's actually going on. I don't know that that's necessarily the correct definition of organized resistance or guerrilla war, but it doesn't make a lot of difference to me.
Donald Rumsfeld
ABC This Week
July 13, 2003

I believe there's mid-level Ba'athist, Iraqi intelligence service people, Special Security Organization people, Special Republican Guard people that have organized at the regional level in cellular structure and are conducting what I would describe as a classical guerrilla-type campaign against us.
Gen. John Abizaid, Centcom Commander
Pentagon Press Conference
July 16, 2003

The discussion about what type of conflict this is ... is almost beside the point ... It's worth kind of remembering that as we kind of have this almost kind of, you know, academic discussion, is it this or is it that.
Pentagon spokesman Lawrence Di Rita
Pentagon Press Conference
July 16, 2003
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Tue 22 Jul, 2003 07:08 pm
Never mind....

Disarming Iraq of its chemical and biological weapons and dismantling its nuclear weapons program is a crucial part of winning the War on Terror.
Paul Wolfowitz
Speech to the Council on Foreign Relations
January 23, 2003

I'm not concerned about weapons of mass destruction.
Paul Wolfowitz
Interview with Reporters
July 21, 2003
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 24 Jul, 2003 05:21 pm
They've lied about everything so often that if they told a truth it would be almost impossible to believe them.
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Thu 24 Jul, 2003 05:26 pm
I think that anyone who believes something this administration says without carefully examining the facts (and refusing to believe if the facts are withheld) is losing it. Losing what? Well, intellectual integrity, touch with reality, and a large 50-state country that used to be known as the land of the free.
0 Replies