Crocidile Hunter Steve Irwin killed by stingray

sozobe

Reply Tue 5 Sep, 2006 08:43 am
Right.

This stingray was evidently buried in the sand and he went over it while he was shooting some "soft" footage for a children's show -- his guard was not up, he wasn't knowingly involved in anything particularly risky.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 5 Sep, 2006 08:51 am
I just read another account that said he was swimming over the stingray but it wasn't hidden.

That account also said that his friend/ producer John Stainton had always worried that he'd die in the ocean, because it wasn't Irwin's element -- he was much more comfortable on land in terms of maneuvering, etc.
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Tue 5 Sep, 2006 08:53 am
I cant belive that stingrays can grow up to 14ftx7ft!!!!!
0 Replies

Shellgame

Reply Tue 5 Sep, 2006 09:03 am
Very sad. My son, 15, and I cried when we heard the news. He was in our home via tv alot, and is a memorable part of my sons pre-school / early school days. I could actually watch spiders, snakes, crocs, etc with my son and not feel squimmish as long as Steve was there.

His work with wildlife education and preservation had a tremendous impact on my sons generation. Living on the edge, taking risks with wild animals? Someone needed to.

He will be missed, although as others have said, he was doing what he loved.
0 Replies