http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/story/0,23739,20349534-952,00.html
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,024 • Replies: 23
No top replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Sun 3 Sep, 2006 10:54 pm
That's too bad. He seemed like a decent guy.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 3 Sep, 2006 11:12 pm
I didn't know one could be killed by a sting ray - apparently it isn't very likely. Feel sorry for his wie and kids. I imagine he would have wanted to go in such a way.
0 Replies

mckenzie

Reply Mon 4 Sep, 2006 12:21 am
Reportedly a barb that went through his chest and into his heart.

Very sad, it is. He as such fun to watch, with his infectious enthusiasm.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Mon 4 Sep, 2006 02:13 am
It is a shame. I know there were some people who didn't like him, but like him or not, you had to admit he raised the profile of many environmental issues.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Mon 4 Sep, 2006 05:42 am
Sad

Though I dont know him personally, I did really like that man.

I liked his personality, and to me it was obvious that he really cared about animals, parks and how people behaved around them.

I too feel sorry for his family now.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Mon 4 Sep, 2006 06:16 am
A Life lived on the edge, full of joyous wonder.

We are lucky to have shared some of that.

Joe
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Mon 4 Sep, 2006 06:20 am
I thought I put you in the hospital, Joe.
0 Replies

kev

Reply Mon 4 Sep, 2006 07:12 am
Tragic loss of a very entertaing T.V. presenter,
Sad
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Mon 4 Sep, 2006 07:13 am
Gus:

I am trying to make a decision.
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Mon 4 Sep, 2006 07:21 am
kev wrote:
Tragic loss of a very entertaing T.V. presenter,
Sad

Well put.

Just to add to the trauma, I dont see a hearse for months then I see one go past the window on this sad day.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 4 Sep, 2006 08:32 am
I just turned on the computer, and that was the first thing I saw. I wasn't very surprised, though saddened. His show is all about taking huge risks with wild animals.

This one does seem freakish though -- the only risk that was reasonable was that he'd get stung and it would hurt, not that he'd die. Sounds like it was the placement of the sting that really got him.

Poor guy!

Not looking forward to telling sozlet. She likes him a lot.
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Mon 4 Sep, 2006 08:44 am
sozobe wrote:

ahhhh, good luck, not a job Id like as a parent.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 4 Sep, 2006 04:30 pm
Ooof. Just turned on the TV for the first time today -- was set to Animal Planet from yesterday. There's Steve Irwin, escaping from a crocodile and talking about how important it is to be careful -- something like, "You can replace lawnmowers and weedwhackers but you can't replace lives."

Oy.

Sozlet took the news a bit uncertainly -- doesn't seem to quite know what to make of it yet. (I told her earlier today.)
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 4 Sep, 2006 04:39 pm
sozobe wrote:
Ooof. Just turned on the TV for the first time today -- was set to Animal Planet from yesterday. There's Steve Irwin, escaping from a crocodile and talking about how important it is to be careful -- something like, "You can replace lawnmowers and weedwhackers but you can't replace lives."

Oy.

Sozlet took the news a bit uncertainly -- doesn't seem to quite know what to make of it yet. (I told her earlier today.)

Yeah, larger than life people it's hard to accept .

Especially when they are bursting out at you being nuts on every TV screen.
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Mon 4 Sep, 2006 05:05 pm
I never saw him on TV. But NPR this morning had a feature about his death and his life. The comment was made and repeated that he was a staunch advocate of environmental issues--as well as an incredible showman.
He spent his whole life around animals and, according to one of my employees who watched his show faithfully, the only animal he truly distrusted as being totally unpredictable was the hippo.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 5 Sep, 2006 04:32 am
sozobe wrote:

It seems that children responded very positively to him, soz. I'm constantly hearing on the ABC (Oz public radio) about how saddened children are by his death. One mother sad her child cried himself to sleep last night. Sad I really had no idea ....
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Tue 5 Sep, 2006 06:37 am
At the risk of possibly being disrespectful so soon after his death, isn't, 'People who play with fire oftentimes get burned' the message here? He lived his life on the edge by choice. In some ways this reminds me of the "Kennedy curse". They aren't cursed, they die young because the participate in high risk activities.

I am NOT saying he deserved to die and I'm not trying to be disrespectful, but this is not an unexpected outcome.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 5 Sep, 2006 08:27 am
Evidently he pulled the barb out of his heart himself. Yikes. I wonder if one situation would be worse than another (leaving it there, pulling it out) -- probably not.

JPB, I know what you mean, I was saying something similar with "wasn't very surprised" and "His show is all about taking huge risks with wild animals."

I was ready to be pissed at him (in the sense of leaving his wife and children bereft, if nothing else) if a croc finally got him, or a snake for that matter -- the kinds of death-defying risks he regularly took. Death by stingray is staggeringly rare, though.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 5 Sep, 2006 08:34 am
sozobe wrote:
Evidently he pulled the barb out of his heart himself. Yikes. I wonder if one situation would be worse than another (leaving it there, pulling it out) -- probably not.

JPB, I know what you mean, I was saying something similar with "wasn't very surprised" and "His show is all about taking huge risks with wild animals."

I was ready to be pissed at him (in the sense of leaving his wife and children bereft, if nothing else) if a croc finally got him, or a snake for that matter -- the kinds of death-defying risks he regularly took. Death by stingray is staggeringly rare, though.

I am not sure that a lot of the risk was not more apparent than real.

He had handled the beasties for a long time, and was clearly very good at judging critical distance and watching what was gonna happen...also had lots of people around him when he did that stuff for the camera.

Handling any animals has its risks....but I really think the risks looked worse than they were.

As with the hullabaloo about the baby in the croc pen thing.....a lot of the camera angles made the croc look closer than it was.

I was most worried about the baby's neck not being supported.

Yes...I suspect pulling the barb out was instinctive....I do hope he was too shocked to feel a lot of pain. That is horrid.
0 Replies