No Feeling in left hand-need therapy advice

Reply Wed 30 Aug, 2006 07:37 pm
Ive been to doctors and its not any strokes or such. Ive had a badly boogered left hand for years, and the accident left me partially lacking in feeling (not to mention a few fingers). Ive been driving a boat alot lately and the rougher water translates onto the wheel.I believe Ive been suffering from a real mechanically induced numbness in the left hand and Im wondering if theres any good theraspy advice for , perhaps carpal tunnel or some other condition that could help. I have to press my little finger and thumb together so I can type. Try it , it does wonders for spelling errors. I tried sueezing a ball and that doesnt help much.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,789 • Replies: 12
No top replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 30 Aug, 2006 07:44 pm
Dunno. Did google this -
http://www.ilo.org/encyclopedia/?doc&nd=857100079&nh=0&ssect=1

Have you checked it out with a neurologist?
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Wed 30 Aug, 2006 07:57 pm
I get carpal tunnel so bad sometimes I can not pick up small t hings, drop the things in my hands, and couldnt feel my fingers if you poked them with a needle.

What I do, is wear a brace for a few days.

In fact, let me take a picture of the one I am wearing right now

it keeps the wrist immobile, while allowing you to still use your fingers for driving, eating, and working
it just gives the tendons in your wrist time to lose their swelling wich is what is causing the numbness and lack of strength.

i will post a picture in about 5 mintues
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Wed 30 Aug, 2006 08:02 pm
http://img165.imageshack.us/img165/9929/mvc023smz0.jpg
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 30 Aug, 2006 08:28 pm
have you tried stretching rather than strengthening? Stretch the should in every direction you can think of. I'll try to get back with links.......
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 30 Aug, 2006 09:01 pm
Some Sretches that have helped my neck wich sometimes got so inflamed as to cause finger tingling:

this set down to "Stretches triceps, top of shoulders, waist":
http://www.womensheartfoundation.org/content/Exercise/stretching_exercise.asp
Make sure you do left and right or front and back strecthes for any set.
also this one, but skip the wrist stretches for now:
http://www.naturalphysiques.com/cms/index.php?itemid=159
and:
http://walking.about.com/library/walk/blexshoulderstretch.htm

Also try isometrics where you apply pressure against the stretch. So, if you are stretching the left side of your neck right ear to right shoulder top, take a turn where you start to do that stretch but apply counter pressure (use right palm to stop head from moving to right shoulder.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Wed 30 Aug, 2006 09:08 pm
Got any good chiropractors near you? I had one do wonders for my ankle a while back (though the effect was temporary).
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 30 Aug, 2006 09:53 pm
I looked in google under mechanically induced numbness in hand - there were several sites, one of which was going on about possibly serious negative effects, and at least one stressed need for early treatment.
Me, I'd see a neurologist if you haven't already.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 31 Aug, 2006 06:26 am
I have seen doctors and nerve speciialists and normally I can del with it . I think the carpal like symptoms add a new layer of numbness that makes me check to see that Ive even got a hand left. This AM its a little better cause I didnt pilot the boat last days, my wife did. However, Im a terrible passenger .
Im gonna try one of those PALM doohickies . Maybe some cushioning and tight pressure will help.
Were getting ready to leave for our trip down to Buzzards Bay and well be on the open ocean (soon as this storm passes). If this numbness doesnt abate, Im gonna re-thing going cause itll be constant 12 hours piloting , even with Mrs doing some of the driving.
0 Replies

Tai Chi

Reply Thu 31 Aug, 2006 06:46 am
I would try the wrist brace for sure. I had the same problem a few years back (although it was caused by lifting). Had some physio too -- they can give you the right exercises for your problem. The wrist brace is pretty comfortable -- you can even wear it to type.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 31 Aug, 2006 04:47 pm
I drove up to St STephen's to a med center. I made a print of shewolf's and said I want one of them. I hadda see a dr who told me everything I already knew , but he asked if Id like some PAIN KILLERS??? Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool . Had this been 12 years ago Id have said "Sure whatdya have?"

No, I said, I dont need drugs , just lemme get one of thee. So he wrote me the equivalent of a prescription ( I think they call it a perscriptioun in Canadia)
Ive got it on and I kinda have a Vin Diesel look. NowI need a leather studded bracelet and a black tee)
Theres a fine line between lookin Vin Diesel and looking Village People
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Thu 31 Aug, 2006 04:56 pm
I love my brace as it makes everything fine in about 3 days.

I can wear it when i need with OUT the need for drugs , and it doesnt get in the way ( too bad ) of my daily activities. Except cooking kids. For some reason they dont want to just jump into my cauldron......
they wanna play with my brace. Confused
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 31 Aug, 2006 05:29 pm
Is the numbness more in the baby finger side of things or more central?

I thought I had carpal tunnel syndrome but it turned out to be an ulnar nerve impingement. Stretching, soaking my hand in warm water with epsom salts worked wonders. A chiro I work with diagnosed it quickly with a few push/pull tests - gave me some stretching exercises - I marvelled at the results.

http://orthoinfo.aaos.org/fact/thr_report.cfm?Thread_ID=143&topcategory=Arm

And as usual

my favourite medical resource.
0 Replies