Iraqi Man forced to change his tshirt before boarding flight

Mame

Reply Wed 30 Aug, 2006 02:38 pm
Tue Aug 29, 6:46 PM ET

NEW YORK (Reuters) - An Iraqi architect on Tuesday said he was forced to change his t-shirt before boarding a flight in New York because the shirt had "We will not be silent" written on it in Arabic and English.

Raed Jarrar wrote on his Internet blog (http://raedinthemiddle.blogspot.com) that he was required to change out of the shirt prior to boarding a JetBlue flight from New York's John F. Kennedy Airport to California this month because officials told him people were offended by the shirt.

In an interview with New York Public Radio on Tuesday, Jarrar said, "I grew up and spent all my life living under authoritarian regimes and I know that these things happen. But I'm shocked that they happened to me here, in the U.S."

Jarrar could not immediately be reached for comment.

JetBlue said it was investigating the August 12 incident.

"We're not clear exactly what happened," JetBlue spokeswoman Jenny Dervin said.

The American-Arab Anti-discrimination Committee said the U.S. Transportation Department and the Transportation Security Administration were also investigating the incident after the committee lodged complaints on behalf of Jarrar.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 792 • Replies: 2
No top replies

blacksmithn

Reply Wed 30 Aug, 2006 02:45 pm
Okay, unlike the other example you cited about the guy with the penis pump, this one does seem to be an infringement of this gentleman's liberty-- assuming all of the facts to be true.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 31 Aug, 2006 06:30 am
If the article was entirely truthful, the man had a perfect right to wear that T-Shirt. I have seen many things on T shirts that I find offensive, but I would not dream of attempting to make a person remove it.

The problem is, that sometimes when something is reported, important facts are left out.
0 Replies