Was Abe Lincoln a Dictator?

Merry Andrew

Reply Tue 29 Aug, 2006 08:02 pm
pachelbel wrote:
Merry Andrew wrote:
I just loooove revisionist history. Even when the facts are skewed and in error, it's so much fun!!!

Yeah, it's fun when people like you don't supply their source to back up what they say.

Laughing What'd I say that needs attribution or a reference?

Maybe I could post a notarized deposition from someone who knows me well, attesting to the fact that I love revision history. Hay, Setanta, you know my on-line characteristics pretty well. Do I love puncturing balloons or what?
0 Replies

pachelbel

Reply Tue 29 Aug, 2006 08:16 pm
Setanta wrote:
pachelbel wrote:
Is your horseshit your personal opinion? I must assume so, as you do not quote a source.

I don't have anything to prove--you are making extraordinary claims, and therefore, you have the burden of proof. You have proven nothing.

You don't have to prove anything? You don't have to back up your silly statements? Because you cannot.

Is that right? Well, I am, in fact, quoting heavily Mr. DiLorenzo's book "The Real Lincoln". He has documented all of his sources, and I have included them in my argument with the source and page number. All you have come up with is your opinion. So far you have proven nothing.

Quote:
Prior to Fort Sumter, there was widespread sentiment IN THE NORTH in favor of allowing the Southern states to peacefully secede. This sentiment was so pervasive in fact, that there were individual secession movements in what at the time were called the 'middle states' - New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Delaware, and Maryland. (William Wright, 'The Secession Movement in the Middle Atlantic States' (Rutherford, N.J.:Fairleigh Dickinson University Press, 1973).

Yes, many people agreed with the Virginian institution, Winfield Scott, in taking the attitude: "Go, wayward Sisters." However, what you wrote was: ". . . a large majority of Americans, North and South, believed in a right of secession as of 1861 . . ."--and you have not supported that contention, and your cited source in this example does not support that contention. Mr. Wright simply notes that there were people who thought that way, not that they were "a large majority."

Here's your majority:

The historian Howard Cecil Perkins compiled 495 editorials from Northern newspapers that were written from late 1860 to mid 1861 in an attempt to characterize public opinion in the North regarding the right of secession. (Source: H.C. Perkins, Northern Editorials on Secession (Gloucester, Mass: Peter Smith, 1964). Mr. Perkins goes on to say that he found that 'during the weeks following the 1860 election editors of ALL parties assumed that secession as a constitutional right was not in question, on the contrary, the southern claim to a right of peaceable withdrawal was countenanced out of reverence for the natural law principle of government by consent of the governed. (ibid, p. 10)

Quote:
Oh? The Articles of Confederation, which preceded the Constitution, reserved to each state 'its sovereignty, freedom and independence, and every power, jurisdiction, and right, which is not by this confederation expressly delegated to the United States, in Congress assembled".

I guess you did not read sufficient history to learn that not only were the Articles of Confederation superceded by the Constitution, but that the exercise of writing and ratifying a constitution resulted from the general sense in the nation that the Articles had not provided the government necessary to form and operate an effective union.

That is your opinion. I see nothing cited. There is nothing in the Constitution that says that a state has to remain in the union. If you disagree, then find that section and post it.

Quote:
The states that created the Constitution and delegated certain powers to the federal gov't AS THEIR AGENT, while reserving the right to withdraw from that compact, as three states did explicitly.

But this history - the true history of the founding - always stood in the way of the grandiose plans of those who advocated centralized gov't power, with themselves in charge, of course, for such power could not be exercised to its fullest extent with such a limited and decentralized state. That, of course, was the way the founding fathers wanted it.

So the advocates of centralization beginning with Lincoln's fellow Whig D. Webster, did what virtually all centralized gov't powers were to do in the late 19th and 20th centuries: they rewrote history to suit their political purposes.

This notion - that the federal Union preceded the states - is not only a lie, but a 'spectacular lie', in the words of Emory University philosopher Daniel W. Livingston. It was this spectacular lie that Lincoln embraced as his main rationale for denying the right of secession to the Southern states.

As i've already pointed out, the State of South Carolina was in arms against the United States,

and as I have already pointed out, South Carolina (where my family history goes back to the early 1700's) had repeatedly attempted to secede peaceably. Lincoln had been advised by his top military commander, Winfield Scott and most of his cabinet to abandon Fort Sumter. The CSA would not tolerate a Federal fort within their borders. Lincoln promised over and over that he wasn't planning on reprovisioning Ft. Sumter. He lied. He sent a naval force to 'reprovision' the fort, accompanied by heavily armed battleships. Historian Bruce Catton explains how Lincoln maneuvered Jeff Davis into firing the first shot. (I have already posted on this thread about how this maneuver forced the first shot -please re-read).

and the maintenance of those land forces was a violation of the constitutional prohibition on that activity.

Says who? You? Source please?

Lincoln considered it an act of insurrection,

even though the states had and have the right to secede eh?

and responded to it on that basis. In each state which seceded, Federal officers were prevented from carrying out their duties, or actually seized, and Federal aresenals and customs houses were seized. On that basis, Lincoln acted. You can object if you wish, but i find it more than a little hilarious to have a Sassanach telling me what ought or ought not to be permitted under the terms of the constitution of the republic of which i am a native citizen,

Oh give it a break. You don't know my history, but here's a clue in for you: I am an ex-pat of the US, but my family has been in the South longer than yours. My ancestors fought in the Civil War and Revolutionary War. We have patriots documented for both wars. Don't preach to me. If you're basing your argument on the fact that you're a 'native son' you're a pretty sorry ass one. I never heard a real Southerner defend Lincoln. You're a rare specimen. Is Sherman your hero? I find it hilarious that you presume so much.

and which document i have studied in minute detail for almost fifty years. You are, by the way, offering nothing but an ill-informed opinion here, and propping it up disingenuously with references to passages of literature which you misrepresent or do not understand.

So far, Mr. Mouth, you have propped yours up by assuming that because you are a 'native son' you naturally know the history better than I do. Quote some sources. And yes, you DO have to prove what you say. Otherwise it is nothing but gibberish.

A spectacular lie is the one which asserts that Lincoln proceeded from an assumption that the Union preceeded the states. Once they were in arms, in insurrection, he had more than sufficient constitutional authority to act as he did, without appealing the an argument which he did not make, and which becomes a strawman when you attribute it to him.

Listen up: Lincoln manuvered the South into firing the first shot.
And I quote: 'Lincoln had been plainly warned by his military that a ship taking provisions to Ft. Sumter would be fired on. Now he was sending the ship, with advance notice to the men who had the guns. He was sending war ships and soldiers as well...if there was going to be a war it would begin over a boat load of salt pork and crackers....not for nothing did Captain Fox remark afterward that it seemed very important to Lincoln that South Carolina 'should stand before the civilized world as having fired upon bread'. SOURCE: Bruce Catton, 'The Coming Fury' (Garden City, NY: Doubleday, 1961, p. 297).

Now, I've even quoted the page number. YOU refute it. With sources, please. Lincoln delibrately started the war.

Quote:
Commenting on the Gettysburg Address 57 years later, H.L. Mencken said:

It is poetry, not logic; beauty; not sense. Think of the argument in it. Put it into the cold words of everyday. The doctrine is simply this: that the Union soldiers who died at Gettysburg sacrificed their lives to the cause of self-determination -that gov't of the people, by the people, for the people, should not perish from the earth. It is difficult to imagine anything more untrue. The Union soldiers in the battle actually fought against self-determination; it was the Confederates who fought for the right of their people to govern themselves. The Confederates went into battle free; they came out with their freedom subject to the supervision of the rest of the country -and for nearly twenty years that veto was so efficient they they enjoyed scarcely more liberty, in the political sense, than so many convicts in the penitentiary'.

H. L. Mencken, an ascerbic wit who is fun to quote, also hated blacks and Jews, and had no qualms about stating as much publicly. He was also a native son of Baltimore, a hot-bed of secession in the war which broke out not twenty years before his birth. As an American, well-informed on these topics, i do not intend to let my opinion be swayed by a sarcastic journalist of known racist proclivities.

Quote:
The Southern states tried repeatedly to secede peacefully. They were not allowed to.

This is a statement from authority on your part, and without substantiation.

See above.

Quote:
Shelby Foote, author of The Civil War, wrote that 'Lincoln had maneuvered the Confederates into the position of having either to back down on their threats or else to fire the first shot of the war.' Quite a few Northern newspapers recognized that Lincoln wanted a war and that he had maneuvered the South into firing the first shot. On April 16, 1861, the Buffalo Daily Courier editorialized that 'the affair at Fort Sumter has been planned as a means by which the war feeling at the North should be intensified". The New York Evening Day Book wrote on April 17, 1861, that the event at Ft. Sumter was a 'cunningly devised scheme' to 'arose, and if possible, exasperate the northern people against the South.' The Providence Daily Post says, in 1861, 'for three weeks the administration newspapers have been assuring us that Ft. Sumter would be abandoned, but Mr. Lincoln saw an opportunity to inaugurate civil war without appearing in the character of an aggressor,' and so he did just that. The Jersey City American Standard, April 12, 1861, 'there is a madness and ruthlessness' in Lincoln's behavior 'which is astounding....this unarmed vessel....is a mere decoy to draw the first fire from the people of the South, which act by the pre-determination of the gov't is to be the pretext for letting loose the horrors of war.'

Mr. Foote, whose excellent three volume history i have read and enjoyed, along with his several other works of narrative and of fiction centered in the civil war era, is also a Southerner. I cannot at all agree with an opinion which seeks to vilify Lincoln for a situation existent before he took office. You little know the sentiment of South Carolinians if you think you can sustain a claim that they acted reluctantly and had to be chivvied into taking military action. They were in arms before Lincoln was in office.

I know a lot about the sentiment of South Carolinians as my father was born there, as were my grandparents, gr.grandparents, and so on. I have lived there as well.
You can continue to read fiction. I prefer truth and facts which I have substantiated. You do not substantiate anything except your opinion.

That newspaper editors deplored the actions of Lincoln and attributed to him sinister motives is hardly to be wondered at. I'd find it far more incredible to think that no one dissented from and criticized the policies of any administration.

Quote:
BS. More to follow on that one.

If you think you can demonstrate that what i have said is bullshit, help yourself. Once again, you are making extraordinary claims, and you have the burden of proof. So far, all you have proven is that you are willing to make extravagent claims based on scant evidence, and the distortion of what others write.

I have not distorted anything, but you have, and you don't bother to cite sources - just your opinion - as well, 'you don't have to prove anything, because you're a native son'. So what? I'm not impressed. What's that got to do with knowledge? You should really visit Ft. Sumter, or Vicksburg and get a sense of what Lincoln did to the South. Had the South won, the US would not have a centralized powerful government. The Founding Fathers warned against centralizing the government. Now you know why. If you think Lincoln wasn't about centralizing the government then you're dreaming. His grand plan has resulted in the mess in the US today. What a wonderful legacy.
0 Replies

pachelbel

Reply Tue 29 Aug, 2006 08:17 pm
Merry Andrew wrote:
pachelbel wrote:
Merry Andrew wrote:
I just loooove revisionist history. Even when the facts are skewed and in error, it's so much fun!!!

Yeah, it's fun when people like you don't supply their source to back up what they say.

Laughing What'd I say that needs attribution or a reference?

Maybe I could post a notarized deposition from someone who knows me well, attesting to the fact that I love revision history. Hay, Setanta, you know my on-line characteristics pretty well. Do I love puncturing balloons or what?

Whatever....don't you have anything better to do, like cleaning toilets? Laughing
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 30 Aug, 2006 07:40 am
You Pachelbel, have the burden of proving extraordinary claims, i don't have to prove anything.

However, i have cited the Constitution, repeatedly, i have given the full text of Lincoln's 1862 proclamation suspending writs in cases of martial law, i have provided a link to the site maintained by West Virginia on the history of that site.

You, however, have willfully distorted the truth, such as making the claim that a large majority of Americans in 1861 believed that the States had the right to secede, when the only source you provided simply noted that it was an opinion held in the North and the South, without any claims made about the extent to which the opinion was held--in short, your citation did not support your claim.

You may say you know a lot about South Carolina, but the evidence of what you post does not support that claim. For example, you have made claims about what the government wants us to learn in school. If you were truly familiar with the United States, you'd know that schools are controlled by local school boards, and that the States maintain boards of education or education departments which set curriculum guidelines, and that this is not a function of the Federal government.

The Shrub's "no child left behind" program now forces school districts to meet some curriculum guidelines in order to assure that their students can pass standarized testing--and that can be an all-absorbing burden. But this program has only been in place for less than five years, and certainly does not apply to the time in the 1950s when i was in school. In fact, the evidence is very good that the States controlled curriculum without reference to any Federal "party line," in that many, many cases have made their way to the Supreme Court on the subject of the teaching of evolutionary theory. When i was a boy, and learning history in school in the South (although i learned far more and far more reliable history by reading at home), Lincoln was not mentioned, or he was mentioned with contempt if at all. The birthdays of Robert E. Lee and Jefferson Davis were holidays, because of the prevailing sentiment of school authorities, but that of Abraham Lincoln was not, even though in the 1950s, his birthday was a Federal holiday. One Southern writer once commented that she had no problem buying birth control in pharmacies in the South in the 1960s, because it was prohibited without a prescription by Federal law, and that was enough for pharmacists to decide to sell it over the counter.

Any claims you make about your familiarity with South Carolina are made laughable not just by the historical ignorance you display, but by the evidence here that you don't understand anything about the educational systems in the United States, and the attitudes in the American South toward Lincoln, the civil war, and the dictates of the Federal government.

You are making extraordinary claims--if you can't back them up with reliable evidence, you can't rant, shout and insult to your heart's content, it won't change the fact that people aren't going to buy your story without good evidence.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Wed 30 Aug, 2006 07:41 am
No, actually Setanta and Asherman are doing that for me right now.
0 Replies

blacksmithn

Reply Wed 30 Aug, 2006 07:47 am
<sigh> Yes, if only that horrible tyrant Lincoln had allowed those peaceful Southerners to rightfully secede, what a utopian dreamworld we'd be living in now!

Holy crap! What an agenda! Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Wed 30 Aug, 2006 07:52 am
Merry Andrew wrote:
No, actually Setanta and Asherman are doing that for me right now.

That was meant to be a riposte to Pachelbel's crack about cleaning toilets.
0 Replies

blacksmithn

Reply Wed 30 Aug, 2006 07:56 am
Do they do windows? Laughing
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Wed 30 Aug, 2006 08:03 am
blacksmithn wrote:
Do they do windows? Laughing

I don't know but they'd probably be willing to clean Pachelbel's clock. Smile
0 Replies

blacksmithn

Reply Wed 30 Aug, 2006 08:04 am
They seem to be doing that already, don't they? Laughing
0 Replies

pachelbel

Reply Wed 30 Aug, 2006 08:57 pm
Setanta wrote:
You Pachelbel, have the burden of proving extraordinary claims, i don't have to prove anything.

Well, ain't y'all special, though? If you make a statement it is considered specious unless you prove it.

I have made no statements that are extraordinary. Do you live in a cave? These are not spanking new ideas about Lincoln.

However, i have cited the Constitution, repeatedly,

yeah, yeah, but where in the Constitution does it specifically say that states cannot secede? I waiting.......

i have given the full text of Lincoln's 1862 proclamation suspending writs in cases of martial law,

Lincoln so nicely provided a reason for martial law, didn't he, by tricking Ft. Sumter into firing the first shot. Sounds a bit pre-emptive, sort of like our friend, the shrub.

i have provided a link to the site maintained by West Virginia on the history of that site.

You, however, have willfully distorted the truth, such as making the claim that a large majority of Americans in 1861 believed that the States had the right to secede,

Yes, enough Americans believed in the right to secession to go to war over it. The South repeatedly attempted to reason with Lincoln; he wanted war, and got it.

when the only source you provided simply noted that it was an opinion held in the North and the South, without any claims made about the extent to which the opinion was held--in short, your citation did not support your claim.

Did you find the part in the Constitution that says states cannot secede yet? No? Laughing

You may say you know a lot about South Carolina, but the evidence of what you post does not support that claim. For example, you have made claims about what the government wants us to learn in school. If you were truly familiar with the United States, you'd know that schools are controlled by local school boards, and that the States maintain boards of education or education departments which set curriculum guidelines, and that this is not a function of the Federal government.

I'm more familiar with school boards than I'd care to say. School boards get federal money, if they want it, in the form of grants for high risk kids, drug&alcohol counseling, etc. The grants come with strings attached, of course. And yes, I do know quite a lot about SC. My lineage goes back to the 1700's in SC. Et tu?

The Shrub's "no child left behind" program now forces school districts to meet some curriculum guidelines in order to assure that their students can pass standarized testing--and that can be an all-absorbing burden. But this program has only been in place for less than five years, and certainly does not apply to the time in the 1950s when i was in school. In fact, the evidence is very good that the States controlled curriculum without reference to any Federal "party line," in that many, many cases have made their way to the Supreme Court on the subject of the teaching of evolutionary theory. When i was a boy, and learning history in school in the South (although i learned far more and far more reliable history by reading at home), Lincoln was not mentioned, or he was mentioned with contempt if at all. The birthdays of Robert E. Lee and Jefferson Davis were holidays, because of the prevailing sentiment of school authorities, but that of Abraham Lincoln was not, even though in the 1950s, his birthday was a Federal holiday. One Southern writer once commented that she had no problem buying birth control in pharmacies in the South in the 1960s, because it was prohibited without a prescription by Federal law, and that was enough for pharmacists to decide to sell it over the counter.

Textbooks do not tell truths in many cases. They do support myths, and one myth is about Lincoln. For instance, I never read a textbook while in high school that said what Lincoln felt about slavery. You want me to quote it again?

Any claims you make about your familiarity with South Carolina are made laughable not just by the historical ignorance you display, but by the evidence here that you don't understand anything about the educational systems in the United States, and the attitudes in the American South toward Lincoln, the civil war, and the dictates of the Federal government.

But you do! The history genius, of course. I went through the educational systems in the US. It is you who cannot get through your skull that textbooks run by a state supported (and fed supported) school system will uphold the American myths. When lies become apparent, you would rather hold to the myth.

Lincoln wanted a centralized government for obvious reasons: power. He got it, didn't he? That power is precisely what the Founding Fathers did not want; they wanted states to have powers that the feds could not affect. It was the last bastion to a check and balance system. Lincoln ripped it apart, under the guise of slavery. Kind of like The Shrub with his oil grab under the guise of protecting Americans from terrorism. BS.

You are making extraordinary claims--if you can't back them up with reliable evidence, you can't rant, shout and insult to your heart's content, it won't change the fact that people aren't going to buy your story without good evidence.

You're the one, bub, making claims - I'm still waiting to see that part of the Constitution that says states cannot secede.......
0 Replies

pachelbel

Reply Wed 30 Aug, 2006 11:28 pm
EXCERPT:
"In the year 1765, that portion of the British Empire embracing Great Britain, undertook to make laws for the government of that portion composed of the thirteen American Colonies. A struggle for the right of self-government ensued, which resulted, on the 4th of July, 1776, in a Declaration, by the Colonies, "that they are, and of right ought to be, FREE AND INDEPENDENT STATES; and that, as free and independent States, they have full power to levy war, conclude peace, contract alliances, establish commerce, and to do all other acts and things which independent States may of right do."

Remainder of article can be viewed at:

SOURCE:
www.yale.edu/lawweb/avalon/csa/scarsec.htm

Have you found the part yet that says states cannot secede Laughing Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 31 Aug, 2006 07:16 am
My name is not "Bub," and i have never claimed that the Constitution has prohibited States from seceding. You are the one making extraordinary claims, which you continue to fail to substantiate.

So, far you have advanced the Articles of Confederation, ignoring that these were replaced by the Constitution. Now, you attempt to introduce a statement about what States were entitled to do after the Declaration of Independence, and before the ratification of the Constitution.

You cannot escape that anything which preceded the Constitution ceased to be relevant at such time as the Constitution was ratified. I have already taken notice that the Constitution is silent on the matter of secession. In order to support you extraordinary claim, you will be obliged to demonstrate that the Constitution acknowledges the right of a State to secede. Appeals to the Delcaration of Independence and the Articles of Confederation don't make the cut, because they preceded the Constitution.

You have failed utterly to substantiate your extraordinary claim. How sad for you.
0 Replies

pachelbel

Reply Thu 31 Aug, 2006 11:24 pm
Setanta wrote:
My name is not "Bub," and i have never claimed that the Constitution has prohibited States from seceding. You are the one making extraordinary claims, which you continue to fail to substantiate.

So, far you have advanced the Articles of Confederation, ignoring that these were replaced by the Constitution. Now, you attempt to introduce a statement about what States were entitled to do after the Declaration of Independence, and before the ratification of the Constitution.

You cannot escape that anything which preceded the Constitution ceased to be relevant at such time as the Constitution was ratified. I have already taken notice that the Constitution is silent on the matter of secession. In order to support you extraordinary claim, you will be obliged to demonstrate that the Constitution acknowledges the right of a State to secede. Appeals to the Delcaration of Independence and the Articles of Confederation don't make the cut, because they preceded the Constitution.

You have failed utterly to substantiate your extraordinary claim. How sad for you.

Oh, you have 'taken notice that the Constitution is silent on the matter of secession' have you?

How could I possibly prove that it says otherwise when it obviously does not specify that it is illegal for states to secede?

1) The Constitution does not forbid secession (as you have acknowledged)
2) South Carolina wishes to secede, as is its right.
3) South Carolina is prevented from doing so by Lincoln, who manuvers a face off at Fort Sumter.
4) Peaceful Emancipation from 1813-1854 was achieved by:
Argentina, Colombia, Chile, Central America, Mexico, Bolivia, Uruguay, French and Danish colonies, Ecuador, Peru and Venezuela.

There is evidence that there was growing political support within the border states in the US for a gradual, peaceful emancipation that would have ended slavery there. As early as 1849, 10% of the particpants in a Kentucky political convention expressed support for gradual emancipation. The enforcement costs of slavery would have increased dramatically as a result of such an action. Slavery was on its way out: Delaware, Maryland, Kentucky, Missouri and much of Virginia had seen the proportion of slaves out of their total populations steadily dwindle during the three decades prior to the war. Lincoln could have put in motion a process to end slavery much more expeditiously and peacefully, as more than twenty other slaveowning societies had done in the previous sixty years. But he chose instead to wage a long and devastating war in which the victims were not just slaveowners but every Southern citizen.

Less than 1/4 of Southern adults owned slaves. The average Southerner was not a slaveowner but a yeoman farmer or merchant who had no special interest in slavery.

Lincoln did pay lip service to various compensated emancipation plans and even proposed an emancipation bill (combined with colonization) in 1862. But Lincoln, whom historians describe as a master politican had failed to use his legendary political skills and his rhetorical gifts to do what every other country of the world where slavery once existed had done:

end it peacefully, without resort to war. That would have been the course taken by a genuine statesman, but Lincoln was a dictator. He assumed dictatorial powers to raise armines and wage war; he did not use them to spend tax dollars on compensated emancipation in even a few states.

Lincoln never seriously offered the nation the opportunity. Most Americans would likely have chosen compensated emancipation, which would have cost them a tiny, almost trivial fraction of the cost of the alternative: total war.

Why did Lincoln do this? He was not particularly supportive of emancipation. He viewed it only as a tool to be used in achieving his real objective: the consolidation of state power, something that many Americans had dreaded from the time of the founding.

Lincoln repeatedly referred to 'saving the union' - but the union could only be 'saved' according to his definition - by DESTROYING the highly decentralized, voluntary union of states that was established by the founding fathrs and replacing it with a coercive union that was kept in place at gunpoint, literally.
0 Replies

Mexica

Reply Wed 14 May, 2008 01:12 am
Bump
0 Replies

YankeeDoodle4Dummies

Reply Sun 14 Mar, 2010 11:39 pm
@pachelbel,
Everyone assumes that the USA is a nation, simply because Lincoln won the war. And because they assume it was a nation, they assume Lincoln had the right to FIGHT the war.

When I hear people talk about the war in support of Lincoln, it's amazing how far they have their heads up their asses on the assumptions they make- -beginning with their claims of Lincoln's "national authority," which they assume he HAD, simply because they've been FORCE-FED that claim from day 1 of their ignorant little lives.

It's impossible to talk with people who live in this kind of fantasy-world, since they simply mock and ridicule anyone who tells the truth; they've got their little story, and by golly they're stickin' to it!

They don't want to look at how history is written by the victors, and how presses were closed down if they printed the truth; and so after the war, there was a "code of silence" on the legal issue regarding secession.

No, it was just assumed that since the North won the war, then secession was illegal and the USA was a single nation-- DESPITE the fact that:

1) the USA was NEVER a nation, and
2) each individual STATE was always a sovereign nation unto itself, by any definition, and
3) they each SECEDED from the Confederation in 1787-9 in order to RATIFY the Constitution in the first place.

Lincoln, following in Jackson's footsteps, simply REVISED HISTORY in order to claim that the USA was a NATION, rather than a federal republic OF nations; for example, Lincoln said that the USA "became perpetual" under the Articles of Confederation; but he IGNORES that each state also RETAINED its sovereignty, freedom and independence-- and also each state SECEDED from that "union" against the will of all the others.

Instead, Lincoln simply claimed that "no state had ever been sovereign--" which is the biggest pile of Lincoln-logs ever.

These idiots even say that "civil war was brewing" etc-- which is their way of saying that some states wanted to secede, but that the fed was going to use force to STOP it.

States had simply been using their RIGHT of secession, in order to scale back the federal government from expanding its powers beyond those they held to be contained in the Constitution. This only changed in the Jackson-era, when he claimed that the states formed a NATION, not a sovereign federa republic-- and that every state was the PROPERTY of the USA.
Lincoln simply CONTINUED this LIE.

This should have been a "red flag" to the states, to get out of the USA immediately; and this finally came to a head under Lincoln, who had threatened WAR against any state that tried to secede, and likewise promised to obey the Supreme Court regarding Dred Scott-- but then when it didn't rule the way he wanted, he basically said that the federal government was NOT BOUND to OBEY the Supreme Court!

Essentially, the Constitution meant nothing to Lincoln-- but that's exactly why the states WERE sovereign nations, with the right to secede, i.e. to STOP the fed from abusing its powers against minority-states.
Otherwise, all they can do is pint to the Constitution and beg for mercy-- while the mob laughs.
Today, racial tension (think Louie Farrakhan), the World Wars, communism, Hitler, and 9/11 etc. are all simply Lincoln's chickens coming home to roost; but it's naturally all spun to "American Glory," and so the idiots just scream louder from the right-wing.
With WWI, we had "a duty to make the world safe for democracy;" it made the world safe for COMMUNISM and WWII, which of course was spun as a great "triumph over evil" against Hitler... while the red storm raged world-wide in global communism and the Cold War, as well as war for oil in the Middle East as well as US involvement in Zionism as the price for cheap oil.
This brought us 9/11, but still that's spun to MORE "Yankee glory--" which shows just how stupid the American Sheeple are: the more you destroy their freedom, the more they GIVE UP, as long as you do it in the name of "patriotism" in painting a global enemy-- while denying the truth about MAKING enemies; just point to every problem you CAUSE, and paint it as "the face of evil."
This ALL could have been avoided if JW Booth had simply acted a few years sooner... but there's no cure for ignorance; as the saying goes, "you can't fix stupid."
You can PROVE to them that the emperor's naked, and they'll just say "it's the light."
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 15 Mar, 2010 05:33 am
That was one of the more incoherent and hysterical rants which i have read recently . . .
YankeeDoodle4Dummies

Reply Fri 19 Mar, 2010 06:18 pm
@Setanta,
That's what I meant about how they "mock and ridicule anyone who tells the truth , since they have their heads so far up their asses." It's a self-fulfilling prophecy when they can launch ad hominem personal attacks, and feel superior for showing INFERIOR intelligence.

Ok tell us, smarty-boy, when you recited your little pledge of allegiance facing the flag in school every morning, how did you bother to check if it was TRUE first?
And WHEN it supposedly BECAME "one nation, indivisible?" Was it 1776? 1787? WHEN?
And by WHAT ACT-- and what WORDS?

Didn't think so-- your response to these questions is "a--DUHHHHHH?"

So until you can answer these questions, it's clear that YOU'RE the hysterical and incoherent one.

If you had any sense, you're realize that you were being forced to chant loyalty-oaths to your regime-- just like in EVERY dictatorship, since a lie repeated becomes believed.
Obviously, if they have to say that the USA is "one nation, indivisible, with milk and honey and rich creamy goodness for everyone" etc., but without ONE SHRED OF EVIDENCE, then obviously they doth protest too much to believe the protesting.
Otherwise, why not just show the FACTS, and let you make up your OWN mind based on the merits?

Here's why: because you're living proof, that schools aren't about education, but SUBJUGATION-- and that's why they're DEAD LAST of every civilized country, despite costing the MOST.

Thanks for the response, I enjoyed kicking your butt.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Fri 19 Mar, 2010 06:45 pm
Quote:
It's impossible to talk with people who live in this kind of fantasy-world,... they've got their little story, and by golly they're stickin' to it!

I think I'll take your advice, Yankeedoodle, and put you on ignore.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Fri 19 Mar, 2010 07:23 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

That was one of the more incoherent and hysterical rants which i have read recently . . .

Yeah, but don't hold your breath. There's more of the same kind of noxious sludge comin' down the pike. Betcha anything.
0 Replies