One kicked out of planet club - Pluto: 1930-2006

Reply Thu 24 Aug, 2006 08:46 am
A great surorise this afternoon: instead of having to learn now 12 planets, as everyone thought, we now can forget one:

Quote:
Pluto loses planet status
Thu Aug 24, 2006

PRAGUE (Reuters) - Scientists from around the world on Thursday approved a new definition of a planet, downgrading Pluto's status to leave just eight classical planets.

After a heated debate, 2,500 scientists and astronomers voted at the International Astronomers Union General Assembly that Pluto, which has been called a planet since being discovered in 1930, would be put into a category of planets called "dwarf planets".
Source
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 967 • Replies: 11
No top replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 24 Aug, 2006 08:47 am
Oh, it happened?!

I'm surprised, I thought they'd include Xena or whatever it's called rather than excluding Pluto.

Aw.

Poor Pluto.
0 Replies

Ellinas

Reply Thu 24 Aug, 2006 08:49 am
The only criterion is the size?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 24 Aug, 2006 08:59 am
The BBC has more:

Quote:
Robin Catchpole, of the Institute of Astronomy in Cambridge, told the BBC News website: "My own personal opinion was to leave things as they were; I met Clyde Tombaugh and thought how nice it was to shake hands with someone who had discovered a planet.

"But since the IAU brought out the proposal for new planets I had been against it - it was going to be very confusing. The best of the alternatives was to leave the major planets as they are and then demote Pluto. So I think this is a far superior situation."
0 Replies

J-B

Reply Thu 24 Aug, 2006 09:19 am
Last year when I was in England I read an article on Guardian concerning this issue. I remember at that time the status of Plato had been already questioned.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 24 Aug, 2006 09:21 am
Some more answers here, by Cornell University: What makes a planet?
0 Replies

J-B

Reply Thu 24 Aug, 2006 09:28 am
Atronomy, yeah! The most exciting science apart from psychology!
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Thu 24 Aug, 2006 10:27 am
What did Pluto do wrong?
I wonder what Pluto did wrong to get kicked out of the club?

I know... I bet that Pluto Mooned Uranus
0 Replies

navigator

Reply Thu 24 Aug, 2006 11:07 am
How old are these planets? Maybe according to their age, Pluto was

sacked!
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Thu 24 Aug, 2006 11:23 am
I think Pluto is being discriminated against! It's like saying you have to be a certain size to be considered human! Pluto must be embarrassed at this indignity! A planet chould be judged on the content of its character and not on its size! Let's stand up for the little planets and let them know they are wanted! Don't let them feel like outcasts! WHO'S WITH ME???
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Thu 24 Aug, 2006 11:30 am
pretty funny.

On a serious note, though, there's quite a bit of talk that this is anti-American lashback. The only planet discovered by an American and they're trying or have succeeded in discrediting it.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 24 Aug, 2006 11:36 am
That's really funny!
0 Replies