OMG! Hell Just Froze Over!!!

Brandon9000

Reply Wed 23 Aug, 2006 01:54 pm
dyslexia wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:
Setanta wrote:
Your argument doesn't cut it. If we didn't know if Hussein had womds, and specifically nukes, then we were running the same risk as we would in an invasion of North Korea. If we knew that Hussein could not launch nukes, then the argument that we needed to invade because he possessed them was a knowing lie.

From a cynical point of view, we could invade North Korea today, fairly safe in the knowledge that the Kim Jong Il regime doesn't have the delivery system to hit the United States. But, of course, they also don't have the second largest proven light, sweet crude petroleum fields in the world.

We inaded Iraq precisely to stop them from obtaining nukes or serious bioweapons. That's exactly the reason we invaded.

As for North Korea, it would be insane to invade a country that posseses the option of replying with nukes, and particularly one that's crazy enough to do it. Who needs a delivery system? They could obliterate South Korea, or the attacking American naval fleet, etc.

Iraq and North Korea are not comparable, because in the former case, we felt we had to to stop them from acquiring serious WMD. North Korea already possesses serious WMD.

Short memory?

As usual, you think that debate consists of clever jibes. How about saying what you mean in enough detail for someone to respond to?
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Wed 23 Aug, 2006 01:58 pm
Brandon9000 wrote:
dyslexia wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:
Setanta wrote:
Your argument doesn't cut it. If we didn't know if Hussein had womds, and specifically nukes, then we were running the same risk as we would in an invasion of North Korea. If we knew that Hussein could not launch nukes, then the argument that we needed to invade because he possessed them was a knowing lie.

From a cynical point of view, we could invade North Korea today, fairly safe in the knowledge that the Kim Jong Il regime doesn't have the delivery system to hit the United States. But, of course, they also don't have the second largest proven light, sweet crude petroleum fields in the world.

We inaded Iraq precisely to stop them from obtaining nukes or serious bioweapons. That's exactly the reason we invaded.

As for North Korea, it would be insane to invade a country that posseses the option of replying with nukes, and particularly one that's crazy enough to do it. Who needs a delivery system? They could obliterate South Korea, or the attacking American naval fleet, etc.

Iraq and North Korea are not comparable, because in the former case, we felt we had to to stop them from acquiring serious WMD. North Korea already possesses serious WMD.

Short memory?

As usual, you think that debate consists of clever jibes. How about saying what you mean in enough detail for someone to respond to?

Wouldn't be fair, I did complete the 8th grade.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Wed 23 Aug, 2006 01:59 pm
Setanta wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:

The admininstration's claims and yours are seriously divergent. I see once again a tendancy on your part to state matters in terms convenient to your argument. The adminnistration consistently alleged that Iraq had womd and womd programs, and Cheney, carefully used for plausible deniability, stated that we knew were the weapons were.

Quote:

In the first place, to invade North Korea, the 72nd Armored Regiment and Seventh Cavalry Regiment, which are already in South Korea, would only need to drive across the border. If you don't have a delivery system, how to you propose to target the "fleet" (the imaginary, unnecessary fleet)? They might play bloody hell with South Korea, but once again, that presumes an effective delivery system, which we don't know them to possess. They could lob in scud type missles, with a primitive an inaccurate guidance system, but were not even certain that they have workable warheads, although it is considered likely.

Quote:

Once again, like Winston in 1984, you are re-writing history. This administration alleged that Hussein had womd, and Cheney alleged that we knew where they were.

I believe that the adminstration alleged that Iraq had minor WMD, but only that they would or might possess nuclear weapons at a time that could be relatively soon. I do not believe that they would have invaded had SH announced that they were in possession of nukes. In my own case, I absolutely believe that Iraq ought to have been invaded based in what was known then, but I would recommend against invading North Korea except in the most extreme case, if, for example, they started using nukes on people.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Wed 23 Aug, 2006 02:00 pm
dyslexia wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:
dyslexia wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:
Setanta wrote:

Short memory?

Wouldn't be fair, I did complete the 8th grade.

You have a lot of smokescreens for running away. Since you can't or won't defend your opinions, I win.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 23 Aug, 2006 02:00 pm
What you believe is not at issue, Brandon. What mattes is the truth, not what you believe.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Wed 23 Aug, 2006 02:02 pm
Setanta wrote:
What you believe is not at issue, Brandon. What mattes is the truth, not what you believe.

You really don't want to debate this do you? Either admit that my recollection is correct and proceed with the argument, or state that you believe that it's incorect and we can debate that. This post of yours is just a way of escaping from the debate.
0 Replies

revel

Reply Wed 23 Aug, 2006 02:07 pm
old europe wrote:
timberlandko wrote:
I imagine you'll find unsurprising my disagreement with your assessment of the "Mission Accomplished" speech. You may read into it whatever you wish, however, what it said to me was that while one battle in a long, multi-front war, a war against a new kind of enemy, had been won, that enemy was far from defeated and the war which that enemy had thrust upon us continued and would continue untill that enemy had been rendered without the will, means, or ability to wage war against us.

While I'm not quite sure of what you think "my" assessment of that particular speech would be, I'm absolutely not surprised that you would disagree with the conclusion that could be drawn from it, namely that Saddam's Iraq was somehow involved or behind the terrorist attacks of 9/11.

Bugger, even I would disagree with such an assessment, and I even said, in replying to your post, that I would probably not be able to find a quote from someone in the adminstration saying "Iray had an operational role in the events in 9/11".

However, I was not discussing my or your opinion, or the conclusion either one of us would draw from a speech like the "Mission Accomplished" one. What I was saying was that Bush missed no opportunity in order to establish a connection between Iraq and the 9/11 attacks, saying things like

Quote:
The battle of Iraq is one victory in a war on terror that began on September the 11th, 2001 and still goes on.

The result can hardly be denied. At the time of this speech (and similar speeches and statements by the Prez and other admin officials), a vast majority of Americans believed that Saddam Hussein was involved in the attacks. For example, in a Washington Post poll published around the time Bush gave this speech, sixty-nine percent of those polled said they believe it is "likely the Iraqi leader was personally involved in the attacks carried out by al-Qaeda."

Obviously, this administration's intent has been for the public to draw that conclusion. At least I am unaware of any official statement to the avail of "We have to fight this war with Iraq, but Iraq was not involved in 9/11."

No, the single purpose of carefully scripted speeches like the carrier speech was to leave the casual listener (your average John Doe with no particular interest in politics - i.e. the vast majority of the population) with the impression that somehow, Iraq was involved in the attacks on the World Trade Center.

Proof of how sucessful the administration was in skillfully linking Iraq and 9/11 without ever coming right out and saying it is in how many still believed Saddam had something do with it as if 2005. (don't know any recent ones)

Many Americans Still Believe Hussein Had Links to al Qaeda

Quote:
THE WALL STREET JOURNAL ONLINE
December 29, 2005

Sizeable minorities of Americans still believe Saddam Hussein had "strong links to al Qaeda," a Harris Interactive poll shows, though the number has fallen substantially this year.

About 22% of U.S. adults believe Mr. Hussein helped plan 9/11, the poll shows, and 26% believe Iraq had weapons of mass destruction when the U.S. invaded. Another 24% believe several of the 9/11 hijackers were Iraqis, according to the online poll of 1,961 adults.

However, all of these beliefs have declined since February of this year, when 64% of those polled believed Mr. Hussein had strong links to al Qaeda and 46% said Mr. Hussein helped plan 9/11. At that time, more than a third said Iraq had weapons of mass destruction and 44% said several of the 9/11 hijackers were Iraqis.

Currently, 56% of adults believe Iraqis are better off now than they were under Mr. Hussein, down from 76% in February. Nearly half of those polled say they believe Iraq, under Mr. Hussein, was a threat to U.S. security, down from 61% in February.
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Wed 23 Aug, 2006 02:15 pm
Can I make a little philosophical contribution here?

http://catandgirl.com/archive/cg0358old.gif

Thank you.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Wed 23 Aug, 2006 02:26 pm
http://www.blackwell-synergy.com/links/doi/10.1111/j.1741-5705.2004.00032.x/abs/

Quote:
ARTICLE
Did President Bush Mislead the Country in His Arguments for War with Iraq?
James P. Pfiffner

President Bush has been accused by some in the popular press of lying in his arguments for taking the United States to war with Iraq in 2003. This article examines several sets of statements by President Bush and his administration: first, about the implication that there was a link between Saddam Hussein, al Qaeda, and the terrorist attacks of 9/11; second, about Iraq's nuclear weapons capacity; and third, about Saddam Hussein's chemical and biological weapons and his ability to deliver them. Although the record at this early date is far from complete, the article concludes that from publicly available evidence, the president misled the country in important ways, potentially undermining the trust of the citizenry.

To cite this article
Pfiffner, James P. (2004)
Did President Bush Mislead the Country in His Arguments for War with Iraq?.
Presidential Studies Quarterly 34 (1), 25-46.
doi: 10.1111/
j.1741-5705.2004.00032.x
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Wed 23 Aug, 2006 02:28 pm
Here's the full article:

http://mason.gmu.edu/~pubp502/pfiffner-readings-bushwmd.htm
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Wed 23 Aug, 2006 02:30 pm
Brandon9000 wrote:
Setanta wrote:

You really don't want to debate this do you? Either admit that my recollection is correct and proceed with the argument, or state that you believe that it's incorect and we can debate that. This post of yours is just a way of escaping from the debate.
based upon your past preformance Brandon, I don't consider your ability to debate if or not you navel is an innie or an outie.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Wed 23 Aug, 2006 02:39 pm
Well articulated, Old Europe (your post to Timber, I mean, tho the cartoon was funny as well).
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Wed 23 Aug, 2006 02:42 pm
The Piffner article wrote:
0 Replies

yitwail

Reply Wed 23 Aug, 2006 02:52 pm
DrewDad wrote:
The Piffner article wrote:
<snip>

How can we judge this systematic pattern of implication and the sudden reversal by the president? It is difficult to show that there was an outright lie in the president's rhetoric, because his use of language was too careful.

<article continues>

no need to engage in outright lying when deception will suffice, eh?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 23 Aug, 2006 03:00 pm
Brandon9000 wrote:
Setanta wrote:

Horseshit, you're playing stupid word games here, just as was the case when you claimed Hussein with womd meant: ". . . the world would have paid a terrible, terrible price."--but then you later stated: "I'm not saying that had Saddam Hussein possessed these weapons, something awful would have happened without question, I am saying that it's not unlikely." The two statements are incompatible, but you wanted later to suggest that they meant the same, when clearly they don't.

Now, you want to say that when you stated: "I believe that the adminstration alleged that Iraq had minor WMD, but only that they would or might possess nuclear weapons at a time that could be relatively soon."--you meant that this was your recollection. You are dancing, and keep changing the terms of what you said to what you meant. So, no, there is really no point in attempting a debate with someone who can't consistently refer to what he stated and what it patently means.

In the State of the Union message at the end of January, 2003, Bush stated, specifically:

Quote:
The International Atomic Energy Agency [IAEA] confirmed in the 1990s that Saddam Hussein had an advanced nuclear weapons development program, had a design for a nuclear weapon and was working on five different methods of enriching uranium for a bomb. The British government has learned that Saddam Hussein recently sought significant quantities of uranium from Africa. Our intelligence sources tell us that he has attempted to purchase high-strength aluminum tubes suitable for nuclear weapons production. Saddam Hussein has not credibly explained these activities. He clearly has much to hide.

That's what the Shrub said--not what you believe, and not what you recollect. You are childishly obsessed with what people have to admit, and whether or not you win, but are not terribly obsessed with the consistency of your statements. So, yes, that makes "debate" with you less than charming,.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 23 Aug, 2006 03:02 pm
A final observation here, Brandon, before i leave you to whine about how you've been treated, and then declare that you win. The topic of this thread is the administration having linked Iraq to the September 11th terrorists in the minds of the American public, and the current statement by the Shrub that there is no such link. It's not about your paranoias, or what you conventiently believe the administration meant in invading Iraq.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Wed 23 Aug, 2006 05:15 pm
The media linked Saddam to 9/11, not the administration. Please lets all keep that in mind. Certain members of the administration have used 9/11 to explain the war on terror and have used the words "9/11" and "Iraq" in the same sentance. The media blew it up and made it an issue.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 23 Aug, 2006 05:18 pm
George Bush is part of the U.S. MSM?

That explains so much.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Thu 24 Aug, 2006 05:31 pm
McGentrix wrote:
The media linked Saddam to 9/11, not the administration. Please lets all keep that in mind. Certain members of the administration have used 9/11 to explain the war on terror and have used the words "9/11" and "Iraq" in the same sentance. The media blew it up and made it an issue.

Quote:
In his victory speech on 1 May 2003 on an aircraft carrier off the coast of California, [President Bush] said: "The battle of Iraq is one victory in a war on terror that began on September the 11, 2001. . . .We've removed an ally of al Qaeda, and cut off a source of terrorist funding. . . .With those attacks [of 9/11], the terrorists and their supporters declared war on the United States. And war is what they got."

IMO, you're either an idiot or a liar, McG.
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Thu 24 Aug, 2006 05:44 pm
Funny, McGentrix! In quite an extraordinary way, too, because you've fallen into the exactly same trap!

Of course the administration linked Saddam to 9/11. What they not did do, at least not explicitely, was saying that Saddam was behind 9/11.

Link Saddam to 9/11 they did.
0 Replies