OMG! Hell Just Froze Over!!!

Brandon9000

Reply Wed 23 Aug, 2006 12:25 pm
Setanta wrote:
Pretty weak, Brandon. The Germans in the 1940s had access to chemical weapons and didn't use them. The term evil madman is meaningless in this context. In short, you are just articulating your inchoate fears, not any evidence to support your contention.

Are you, then, asserting that even if Saddam Hussein had obtained, say five, nukes, or had produced very potent bioweapons, the world would still have had little to fear from him? If you can, please give me a definite yes or no answer to this.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Wed 23 Aug, 2006 12:26 pm
Firing upon the territory, assets, and/or personnel of a nation constitutes an act of war. No UN resolution has anything whatsoever to do with the circumstance and consequence of Iraq's continued perpetration of acts of war against The US (along with Iraq's open, repeated, unambiguous, plainly stated declaration that a state of war maintained between Iraq and The US, btw). All the rest, WMD, violation of UN-imposed sanctions, human rights considerations, endorsement and support for terrorism, and 9/11 is incidental ... contributory, yes, individually and in aggregate, but not in any specific or combination proximately causal to the resumption of hostillities suspended pursuant to the ceasefire terms component to the Safwan Accords.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 23 Aug, 2006 12:29 pm
The Iraqis firing upon American aircraft in the no-fly zones is your beef, Big Bird? Geeze Louise, they had not authority to do that--no UN Resolution authorized the continued overflight of American and English aircraft. It is a generally held principle of national sovereignty that one can fire on armed aircraft which violate one's airspace. That's damned feeble, too.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 23 Aug, 2006 12:33 pm
Brandon9000 wrote:
Setanta wrote:
Pretty weak, Brandon. The Germans in the 1940s had access to chemical weapons and didn't use them. The term evil madman is meaningless in this context. In short, you are just articulating your inchoate fears, not any evidence to support your contention.

Are you, then, asserting that even if Saddam Hussein had obtained, say five, nukes, or had produced very potent bioweapons, the world would still have had little to fear from him? If you can, please give me a definite yes or no answer to this.

I am asserting that you don't know how he would have behaved. Hussein is known to have used chemical weapons against the Persians in the Iran-Iraq War, during which war the Persians used chemical weapons against Iraqi troops. That is no basis upon which to assert without substantiation that he was "an evil madman" who would without question have threatened the world. Once again, you are voicing you inchoate fears. You are trying to put me in the position of disproving your wild assertions--i'm not obliged to do so, but if you expect to be taken seriously, you need to be able to prove your assertions.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Wed 23 Aug, 2006 12:39 pm
The No Fly Zone considerations were but one component of Iraq's persistent, active, and declared martial hostility toward The US.
As to the question of UN authorization of the No Fly Zones, the Safwan Accords made implicit the authorization of such means as necessary to enforce the terms of those accords, terms which included specific proscriptions pertaining to Iraqi airspace and air asset usage.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Wed 23 Aug, 2006 12:43 pm
Setanta wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:
Setanta wrote:

I am asserting that you don't know how he would have behaved. Hussein is known to have used chemical weapons against the Persians in the Iran-Iraq War, during which war the Persians used chemical weapons against Iraqi troops. That is no basis upon which to assert without substantiation that he was "an evil madman" who would without question have threatened the world. Once again, you are voicing you inchoate fears. You are trying to put me in the position of disproving your wild assertions--i'm not obliged to do so, but if you expect to be taken seriously, you need to be able to prove your assertions.

I'm not saying that had Saddam Hussein possessed these weapons, something awful would have happened without question, I am saying that it's not unlikely. Do you mean that you can't reach conclusions on anything but certainties?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 23 Aug, 2006 12:44 pm
I've read SCR 686, 687, 688 and 689, Big Bird, and they don't authorize any such actions. The Safwan agreements were made by military men pursuant to the provisions of SCR 686, and they ceased to be competent after the cease fire agreements were reviewed by the United Nations and after subsequent Security Council Resolutions were passed.

If you allege that there were persistent, active armed hostilities carried out by Iraq other than firing on American and English aircraft in the no-fly zones, perhpas you could describe those hostile actions.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 23 Aug, 2006 12:47 pm
Brandon9000 wrote:
I'm not saying that had Saddam Hussein possessed these weapons, something awful would have happened without question, I am saying that it's not unlikely. Do you mean that you can't reach conclusions on anything but certainties?

You may not be saying that now, but you were certainly saying it when you wrote:

Quote:
Had Saddam developed serious doomsday weapons, the world would have paid a terrible, terrible price.

No fair changing the terms of your argument when you get in a tight spot, Brandon.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Wed 23 Aug, 2006 01:18 pm
Setanta wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:

You may not be saying that now, but you were certainly saying it when you wrote:

Quote:
Had Saddam developed serious doomsday weapons, the world would have paid a terrible, terrible price.

No fair changing the terms of your argument when you get in a tight spot, Brandon.

What I actually believe is that had SH obtained these weapons, awful consequences would have been not unlikely. If I stated it incorrectly before, I apologize. Call it a less faulty statement of what I think, or call it a position change, I don't care. What I believe is that awful consequences would have been not at all unlikely. Now, do you or do you not believe that even had SH obtained nukes or very potent bioweapons the world would have been unlikely to suffer very terrible consequences?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 23 Aug, 2006 01:22 pm
I consider it to have been a remote possibility. Saddam was a survivor. Keep in mind that he lived in a hole in the ground for months to avoid capture after the invasion. He was not the type of character to have blithely or stupidly put his head on the block. When he was firing missles off at Israel during the Gulf War, he used no womd warheads--he just wasn't that stupid.

So, while a possibility, i consider it to have been a very remote possibility. A further problem i have with this is that the same standard is not applied to other nations which could be alleged to pose the same threat--such as North Korea. North Korea, of course, could put up a real fight if we attempted to invade, and they have no petroleum.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Wed 23 Aug, 2006 01:25 pm
Setanta wrote:
I consider it to have been a remote possibility. Saddam was a survivor. Keep in mind that he lived in a hole in the ground for months to avoid capture after the invasion. He was not the type of character to have blithely or stupidly put his head on the block. When he was firing missles off at Israel during the Gulf War, he used no womd warheads--he just wasn't that stupid.

So, while a possibility, i consider it to have been a very remote possibility. A further problem i have with this is that the same standard is not applied to other nations which could be alleged to pose the same threat--such as North Korea. North Korea, of course, could put up a real fight if we attempted to invade, and they have no petroleum.

No, North Korea is a different situation. It's too late to invade North Korea, because they already have nukes. Should we invade, they would have the option of using them. It was, among other reasons, to prevent Saddam Hussein from achieving this near invulnerability that we invaded.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 23 Aug, 2006 01:30 pm
Your argument doesn't cut it. If we didn't know if Hussein had womds, and specifically nukes, then we were running the same risk as we would in an invasion of North Korea. If we knew that Hussein could not launch nukes, then the argument that we needed to invade because he possessed them was a knowing lie.

From a cynical point of view, we could invade North Korea today, fairly safe in the knowledge that the Kim Jong Il regime doesn't have the delivery system to hit the United States. But, of course, they also don't have the second largest proven light, sweet crude petroleum fields in the world.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Wed 23 Aug, 2006 01:36 pm
Setanta wrote:
Your argument doesn't cut it. If we didn't know if Hussein had womds, and specifically nukes, then we were running the same risk as we would in an invasion of North Korea. If we knew that Hussein could not launch nukes, then the argument that we needed to invade because he possessed them was a knowing lie.

From a cynical point of view, we could invade North Korea today, fairly safe in the knowledge that the Kim Jong Il regime doesn't have the delivery system to hit the United States. But, of course, they also don't have the second largest proven light, sweet crude petroleum fields in the world.

We inaded Iraq precisely to stop them from obtaining nukes or serious bioweapons. That's exactly the reason we invaded.

As for North Korea, it would be insane to invade a country that posseses the option of replying with nukes, and particularly one that's crazy enough to do it. Who needs a delivery system? They could obliterate South Korea, or the attacking American naval fleet, etc.

Iraq and North Korea are not comparable, because in the former case, we felt we had to to stop them from acquiring serious WMD. North Korea already possesses serious WMD.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Wed 23 Aug, 2006 01:38 pm
Brandon9000 wrote:
Setanta wrote:

We inaded Iraq precisely to stop them from obtaining nukes or serious bioweapons. That's exactly the reason we invaded.

As for North Korea, it would be insane to invade a country that posseses the option of replying with nukes, and particularly one that's crazy enough to do it. Who needs a delivery system? They could obliterate South Korea, or the attacking American naval fleet, etc.

Iraq and North Korea are not comparable, because in the former case, we felt we had to to stop them from acquiring serious WMD. North Korea already possesses serious WMD.

Short memory?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 23 Aug, 2006 01:42 pm
Brandon9000 wrote:

The admininstration's claims and yours are seriously divergent. I see once again a tendancy on your part to state matters in terms convenient to your argument. The adminnistration consistently alleged that Iraq had womd and womd programs, and Cheney, carefully used for plausible deniability, stated that we knew were the weapons were.

Quote:

In the first place, to invade North Korea, the 72nd Armored Regiment and Seventh Cavalry Regiment, which are already in South Korea, would only need to drive across the border. If you don't have a delivery system, how to you propose to target the "fleet" (the imaginary, unnecessary fleet)? They might play bloody hell with South Korea, but once again, that presumes an effective delivery system, which we don't know them to possess. They could lob in scud type missles, with a primitive an inaccurate guidance system, but were not even certain that they have workable warheads, although it is considered likely.

Quote:

Once again, like Winston in 1984, you are re-writing history. This administration alleged that Hussein had womd, and Cheney alleged that we knew where they were.
0 Replies

revel

Reply Wed 23 Aug, 2006 01:44 pm
Quote:
Presidential Letter
Text of a Letter from the President to the Speaker of the House of Representatives and the President Pro Tempore of the Senate

March 18, 2003

Dear Mr. Speaker: (Dear Mr. President:)

Consistent with section 3(b) of the Authorization for Use of Military Force Against Iraq Resolution of 2002 (Public Law 107-243), and based on information available to me, including that in the enclosed document, I determine that:

(1) reliance by the United States on further diplomatic and other peaceful means alone will neither (A) adequately protect the national security of the United States against the continuing threat posed by Iraq nor (B) likely lead to enforcement of all relevant United Nations Security Council resolutions regarding Iraq; and

(2) acting pursuant to the Constitution and Public Law 107-243 is consistent with the United States and other countries continuing to take the necessary actions against international terrorists and terrorist organizations, including those nations, organizations, or persons who planned, authorized, committed, or aided the terrorist attacks that occurred on September 11, 2001.

http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/releases/2003/03/print/20030319-1.html
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Wed 23 Aug, 2006 01:46 pm
timberlandko wrote:
I imagine you'll find unsurprising my disagreement with your assessment of the "Mission Accomplished" speech. You may read into it whatever you wish, however, what it said to me was that while one battle in a long, multi-front war, a war against a new kind of enemy, had been won, that enemy was far from defeated and the war which that enemy had thrust upon us continued and would continue untill that enemy had been rendered without the will, means, or ability to wage war against us.

While I'm not quite sure of what you think "my" assessment of that particular speech would be, I'm absolutely not surprised that you would disagree with the conclusion that could be drawn from it, namely that Saddam's Iraq was somehow involved or behind the terrorist attacks of 9/11.

Bugger, even I would disagree with such an assessment, and I even said, in replying to your post, that I would probably not be able to find a quote from someone in the adminstration saying "Iray had an operational role in the events in 9/11".

However, I was not discussing my or your opinion, or the conclusion either one of us would draw from a speech like the "Mission Accomplished" one. What I was saying was that Bush missed no opportunity in order to establish a connection between Iraq and the 9/11 attacks, saying things like

Quote:
The battle of Iraq is one victory in a war on terror that began on September the 11th, 2001 and still goes on.

The result can hardly be denied. At the time of this speech (and similar speeches and statements by the Prez and other admin officials), a vast majority of Americans believed that Saddam Hussein was involved in the attacks. For example, in a Washington Post poll published around the time Bush gave this speech, sixty-nine percent of those polled said they believe it is "likely the Iraqi leader was personally involved in the attacks carried out by al-Qaeda."

Obviously, this administration's intent has been for the public to draw that conclusion. At least I am unaware of any official statement to the avail of "We have to fight this war with Iraq, but Iraq was not involved in 9/11."

No, the single purpose of carefully scripted speeches like the carrier speech was to leave the casual listener (your average John Doe with no particular interest in politics - i.e. the vast majority of the population) with the impression that somehow, Iraq was involved in the attacks on the World Trade Center.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 23 Aug, 2006 01:48 pm
Well put, OE.
0 Replies

yitwail

Reply Wed 23 Aug, 2006 01:50 pm
timberlandko wrote:
The events of 9/11 provided but catalyisis; they did not create the condition of hostilities between The US and Saddam's Iraq, they underscored the dire and urgent necessity of addressing and removing the clear and present danger of the ongoing and building threat posed by Saddam's Iraq in its association with and support of international terrorism. It is a fiction of those who for whatever reason are opposed to Bush and/or the US that the resumption of hostillities with Saddam's Iraq was in any other wise connected with the events of 9/11 - and a tedious, specious fiction at that.

so, is Dick Cheney opposed to the Administration or the US? on Meet the Press, Dec. 9, 2001, he made this remark:

Quote:

RUSSERT: Do you still believe there is no evidence that Iraq was involved in September 11?

CHENEY: Well, what we now have that's developed since you and I last talked, Tim, of course, was that report that's been pretty well confirmed, that he [Mohammed Atta, 9/11 ringleader] did go to Prague and he did meet with a senior official of the Iraqi intelligence service in Czechoslovakia last April, several months before the attack.

Now, what the purpose of that was, what transpired between them, we simply don't know at this point. But that's clearly an avenue that we want to pursue.

http://www.whitehouse.gov/vicepresident/news-speeches/speeches/vp20011209.html
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 23 Aug, 2006 01:52 pm
The use of Cheney was careful, and insidious. He could make the charges which would convince the public of things which the administration was not prepared to openly state, preserving the plausible deniability avenue for the Presidential Press Secretary.
0 Replies