World's oldest computer found in Greece

Reply Sun 20 Aug, 2006 01:15 am
Quote:
Revealed: world's oldest computer

Helena Smith
Sunday August 20, 2006
The Observer

It looks like a heap of rubbish, feels like flaky pastry and has been linked to aliens. For decades, scientists have puzzled over the complex collection of cogs, wheels and dials seen as the most sophisticated object from antiquity, writes Helena Smith. But 102 years after the discovery of the calcium-encrusted bronze mechanism on the ocean floor, hidden inscriptions show that it is the world's oldest computer, used to map the motions of the sun, moon and planets.
'We're very close to unlocking the secrets,' says Xenophon Moussas,an astrophysicist with a Anglo-Greek team researching the device. 'It's like a puzzle concerning astronomical and mathematical knowledge.'

Known as the Antikythera mechanism and made before the birth of Christ, the instrument was found by sponge divers amid the wreckage of a cargo ship that sunk off the tiny island of Antikythera in 80BC. To date, no other appears to have survived.

'Bronze objects like these would have been recycled, but being in deep water it was out of reach of the scrap-man and we had the luck to discover it,' said Michael Wright, a former curator at London's Science Museum. He said the apparatus was the best proof yet of how technologically advanced the ancients were. 'The skill with which it was made shows a level of instrument-making not surpassed until the Renaissance. It really is the first hard evidence of their interest in mechanical gadgets, ability to make them and the preparedness of somebody to pay for them.'

For years scholars had surmised that the object was an astronomical showpiece, navigational instrument or rich man's toy. The Roman Cicero described the device as being for 'after-dinner entertainment'.

But many experts say it could change how the history of science is written. 'In many ways, it was the first analogue computer,' said Professor Theodosios Tassios of the National Technical University of Athens. 'It will change the way we look at the ancients' technological achievements.'

Source

http://i8.tinypic.com/254y15e.jpg
Source: The Observer, 20.08.2006, page 25
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,156 • Replies: 17
No top replies

Francis

Reply Sun 20 Aug, 2006 01:23 am
Since I came across this "device", twenty years ago, I've seen plenty of theories about it's purpose...

Really interesting.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 20 Aug, 2006 01:35 am
Francis wrote:
Since I came across this "device", twenty years ago, I've seen plenty of theories about it's purpose...

Really interesting.

I even used it to demonstrate the history of navigational instruments once ... :wink:
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 20 Aug, 2006 04:51 am
Did it "crash" like modern computers? :wink:
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 20 Aug, 2006 09:06 am
vey cool.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 20 Aug, 2006 09:47 am
Looks like it could use some WD-40.
0 Replies

Joeblow

Reply Sun 20 Aug, 2006 09:55 am
80 BCE!

Look at it! Really interesting, way cool.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Sun 20 Aug, 2006 12:27 pm
Phoenix32890 wrote:
Did it "crash" like modern computers? :wink:

Fortunately, Windows had not been invented yet. Laughing
0 Replies

Ellinas

Reply Sun 20 Aug, 2006 02:08 pm
After seeing your title (world's oldest compurer found....) I thought that something new was founded Laughing .

Anyway for the ones interested more, the Antikythera mechanism was a device used for astronomical observations. It is formed by 30 different cogwheels, which are placed eccentry. When someone was moving the cogwheels with a special axle for that purpose, indications were showing the orbit of the Sun, the orbit and the phases of the moon and all the planets of the Zodiac circle. Inside the device, there is a complicated system of a cogged wheel which is the one making the indications. I can't say more because is very difficult for me to explain this in English, without looking the dictionary in every two words Embarrassed .

Here is a diagram of the device's gearing system:

http://www.ancientgr.com/Unknown_Hellenic_History/images/Ypologistis-antikythiron-diagram.gif

It can be found at the National Archaeological museum of Athens.
0 Replies

lmur

Reply Sun 20 Aug, 2006 02:29 pm
Ellinas wrote:
After seeing your title (world's oldest compurer found....) I thought that something new was founded Laughing .

Anyway for the ones interested more, the Antikythera mechanism was a device used for astronomical observations. It is formed by 30 different cogwheels, which are placed eccentry. When someone was moving the cogwheels with a special axle for that purpose, indications were showing the orbit of the Sun, the orbit and the phases of the moon and all the planets of the Zodiac circle. Inside the device, there is a complicated system of a cogged wheel which is the one making the indications. I can't say more because is very difficult for me to explain this in English, without looking the dictionary in every two words Embarrassed .

Here is a diagram of the device's gearing system:

http://www.ancientgr.com/Unknown_Hellenic_History/images/Ypologistis-antikythiron-diagram.gif

It can be found at the National Archaeological museum of Athens.

Ellinas,

Why don't you enter your explanation in Greek here

and use the Greek-English translation function?

Should be good for a giggle, if nothing else.
0 Replies

Ellinas

Reply Sun 20 Aug, 2006 02:34 pm
I've tried online translators before. The result does not make much sense. Especially when you translate from Greek.

Anyway, I will enter my explanation and translate it there, I am just warning you I will post the result as it is Razz .
0 Replies

Ellinas

Reply Sun 20 Aug, 2006 02:45 pm
lmur wrote:
Ellinas,

This was the result Very Happy :

The Computer of Antjkyci'rwn is a placed in a wooden box with graded plates in his abroad. Internally it was constituted by 30 alliloempleko'menoys toothed wheels, cams placed. The wheels, that were organised epjkykloejdw's, it placed in movement, with different speed each one, a turned hejrokj'nitos axis. Indicators according to the signs showed the course of Helium the course and the phases of Moon and planets in the zwdjako' circle. A system of differential toothed wheel, which accepted two different rotations, proportionally "removed" result. That is to say it executed mathematic action with mechanic way in order to it removes the result. Above in the graded plates as much as above in the frame existed what signs the or constituted the directives of use and the clues. In the big disk that is found in the forward part are marked the months of year while elsewhere are marked the movement of Helium in in the zwdjako' circle as the annual movement of brilliant asters and constellations.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 20 Aug, 2006 02:52 pm
Antikythera mechanism at Wikipedia

This is the paper, using some sources I've quoted in my paper as well: The Antikythera Mechanism:: Physical and Intellectual Salvage from the 1st Century B.C.

A Reconstruction of the Antikythera Mechanism
0 Replies

lmur

Reply Sun 20 Aug, 2006 03:59 pm
Ellinas wrote:

lmur wrote:
Ellinas,

This was the result Very Happy :

The Computer of Antjkyci'rwn is a placed in a wooden box with graded plates in his abroad. Internally it was constituted by 30 alliloempleko'menoys toothed wheels, cams placed. The wheels, that were organised epjkykloejdw's, it placed in movement, with different speed each one, a turned hejrokj'nitos axis. Indicators according to the signs showed the course of Helium the course and the phases of Moon and planets in the zwdjako' circle. A system of differential toothed wheel, which accepted two different rotations, proportionally "removed" result. That is to say it executed mathematic action with mechanic way in order to it removes the result. Above in the graded plates as much as above in the frame existed what signs the or constituted the directives of use and the clues. In the big disk that is found in the forward part are marked the months of year while elsewhere are marked the movement of Helium in in the zwdjako' circle as the annual movement of brilliant asters and constellations.

Very Happy In a weird way, that made sense. Thanks, Ellinas.

"A system of differential toothed wheel ..". Who needs wikipedia?!
0 Replies

Ellinas

Reply Mon 21 Aug, 2006 05:28 am
I found the inscriptions which are written on the Antikythera mechanism at a web-site and they are quite interesting. I am going to paste the inscriptions and put my translation in bracekts Razz . Where you see three dots the parts of the inscriptions are missing, as many letters were rubbed out after so many years.

This is what is written in the face side of the mechanism:

....ΕΣΠΕΡΙΑ (...in the night)
ΥΑΔΕΣ ΔΥΟΝΤΑΙ ΕΣΠΕΡΙΑ (The Yades go down in the evening)
ΤΑΥΡΟΣΑΡΧΕΤΑΙΕΠΙΤΕΛΛΕΙΝ (Tauros starts coming up)
ΛΥΡΑΕΠΙΤΕΛΛΕΙΕΣΠΕΡΙΑ (Lyra comes up in the evening)
ΠΛΕΙΑΣΕΠΙΤΕΛΛΕΙΕΩΙΑ (The Pleiades come up in the morning)
ΥΑΣΕΠΙΤΕΛΛΕΙΕΩΙΑ (The Yades come up in the morning)
ΔΙΔΥΜΟΙΑΡΧΟΝΤΑΙ ΕΠΙΤΕΛΛΕΙΝ (The twin stars start coming up)
ΑΕΤΟΣΕΠΙΤΕΛΛΕΙΕΣΠΕΡΙΟΣ (Aetos comes up in the evening)
ΑΡΚΤΟΥΡΟΣΔΥΝΕΙΕΩΙΟΣ (Arcturius goes down in the evening)

This is what is written in the back side of the mechanism:

...ΠΡΟΕΧΟΝΑΥΤΟΥΣ... ΜΟΝΟΙ (...are standing out... alone)
...ΦΕΡΕΙΩΝΗΜΕΝΕ... (...has one of the two...)
...ΤΟΣΤΟΔΕΔΙΑ... (...and the other...)
...ΤΗΣΑΦΡΟΔΙΤΗΣ (...of Venus)
ΓΝΩΜΩΝ ΣΥ... (the protractor...)
...ΗΛΙΟΥΑΚΤΙΝ (...the Sunlight)
ΜΙΝΟΘΕΛΕΞΗΛΘΕΝ... (... which descent from...)
...ΤΗΣΠΡΩΤΗΣΧΩΡΑΣ (...the first land)
ΓΝΩΜΟΝΙΑΔΥΟΩΝΤΑΚΡΑ... (Two protractors which edges...)
...ΦΕ ΡΟ... (have...)
...ΤΕΣΣΑΡΑΔΗΛΟΙΔΟΜΕΝΤ... (...four, the one is pointing...)
ΤΗΣ ΟCL ΙΘL ΤΟΥ... (The 776 years. 19 years of....)
...ΣΙΣ Σ ΣΚΓ ΣΥΝΓΕΙΝΟΜΕΝΟΙ (...233, which step with...)
ΟΣΔΙΑΙΡΕΘΗ Η ΟΛΗ... (...so the whole...is going to be split...)
...ΕΓΛΕΙΠΤΙΚΟΙΣ... (...eclipse...)
ΟΜΟΙΑ ΤΟΙΣ ΕΠΙΤΗΣΕ... (similar with the ones are...)
...ΦΕΡΕΙΤΑ... (...contains...)

*Lyra: Vega
*Aetos: Altayr (I think that's how you call it?)
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Mon 21 Aug, 2006 05:48 am
Ellinas wrote:
ΑΡΚΤΟΥΡΟΣΔΥΝΕΙΕΩΙΟΣ (Arcturius goes down in the evening)

Not intended to be nitpicking, but shoudln't it be Arcturus (ΑΡΚΤΟΥΡΟΣ - (Alpha Bootis) )?
0 Replies

Ellinas

Reply Mon 21 Aug, 2006 06:05 am
Francis wrote:

Not intended to be nitpicking, but shoudln't it be Arcturus (ΑΡΚΤΟΥΡΟΣ - (Alpha Bootis) )?

Yes, it is referring to Alpha Bootis. The i was unnecesary, thanks.

Any other corrections are welcome, as I am not sure for the English names of constellations and stars. I just made sure that Aetos constellation is called Aquila in English and the star Aetos is called Altair. I think the transcription is referring to the star.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 29 Nov, 2006 03:30 pm
Quote:
Ancient Moon 'computer' revisited
By Jonathan Fildes
Science and technology reporter, BBC News

Wednesday, 29 November 2006

The delicate workings at the heart of a 2,000-year-old analogue computer have been revealed by scientists.

The Antikythera Mechanism, discovered more than 100 years ago in a Roman shipwreck, was used by ancient Greeks to display astronomical cycles.

Using advanced imaging techniques, an Anglo-Greek team probed the remaining fragments of the complex geared device.

The results, published in the journal Nature, show it could have been used to predict solar and lunar eclipses.

The elaborate arrangement of bronze gears may also have displayed planetary information.

"This is as important for technology as the Acropolis is for architecture," said Professor John Seiradakis of the Aristotle University of Thessaloniki in Greece, and one of the team. "It is a unique device."

However, not all experts agree with the team's interpretation of the mechanism.

Technical complexity

The remains of the device were first discovered in 1902 when archaeologist Valerios Stais noticed a heavily corroded gear wheel amongst artefacts recovered by sponge divers from a sunken Roman cargo ship.

A further 81 fragments have since been found containing a total of 30 hand-cut bronze gears. The largest fragment has 27 cogs.

Researchers believe these would have been housed in a rectangular wooden frame with two doors, covered in instructions for its use. The complete calculator would have been driven by a hand crank.

Although its origins are uncertain, the new studies of the inscriptions suggest it would have been constructed around 100-150 BC, long before such devices appear in other parts of the world.

Writing in Nature, the team says that the mechanism was "technically more complex than any known device for at least a millennium afterwards".

Although much of it is now lost, particularly from the front, what remains has given a century's worth of researchers a tantalising glimpse into the world of ancient Greek astronomy.

One of the most comprehensive studies was done by British science historian Derek Solla Price, who advanced the theory that the device was used to calculate and display celestial information.
Source and full report

The results are published in the journal Nature:
Complete report: In search of lost time Nature 444, 534-538 (30 November 2006) | doi:10.1038/444534a; Published online 29 November 2006
0 Replies