greek

Herema

Reply Sun 17 Sep, 2006 04:59 pm
Kalimera

oh...I think I shall give up for a while. The language switched to the LaserGreek keyboard, and I changed the font to a Greek symbol, and....it types great in Word. But when I copy and paste it here, it copies and pastes the English font as if I never typed it using the Greek font.

There is no place here to change the font face....or is there? Can that be accomplished using the code selection? HTML stuff????

[font="GraecaII"]Kalimera

hmmmm....I am open for any suggestions.

tnx
0 Replies

Ellinas

Reply Sun 17 Sep, 2006 05:22 pm
[FONT=GraecaII]test
0 Replies

Ellinas

Reply Sun 17 Sep, 2006 05:38 pm
With my current computers knownledge, I can't think of something more.

I just hope this copy-paste helps you manage to write Greek directly in the forum reply window:

Keyboard for Writing Greek

In order to be able to write in Greek, two things need to happen. A mapping or layout of the keys of the keyboard to the corresponding Greek characters - this requires a keyboard driver - and a means for switching between different types of keyboard drivers are needed. Both requirements are accomplished as follows:
Under Start (or any other available means) go to Control pannel and run (double click) "Regional and Language Settings". Select the tab "Language" and under "Text services and input laguages" click on "Details".
Under "Installed services" click on "Add". Select as "Input language" "Greek" and pick the "Keyboard layout/IME" of your choice - the default is fine. Close the last window by clicking "OK".
In the "Text Services and Input Languages" window, under "Preferences" click on "Language Bar" and select "Show the Language bar on the desktop" so you can tell at any time which keyboard layout is selected for the application that is active. Click "OK" to return to the previous window.
Under "Preferences" click on "Key Settings" to open the "Advanced Key Settings" window. Under "Hot keys for input languages" make your selections for accessing or switching to a given keyboard layout. People who use only two keyboard layouts usually just use one key combination to toggle between the two languages.
Under "Change Key Sequence" you can select the combination of CTRL + SHIFT or Left Alt + SHIFT, the latter choice being more common, for toggling between input languages. Close this window by clicking "OK".
Close the "Advanced Key Settings" by clicking "OK".
Close the "Text Services and Input Languages" window by clicking "OK".
Close the "Regional and Language Options" window by clicking "OK".
You should now be able to write Greek characters in most applications.
0 Replies

Herema

Reply Mon 18 Sep, 2006 02:43 pm
thanks Ellinas

I have already accomplished those steps just as you posted. I have the left alt-shift keyboard switcher command set up. It works great on my computer with Word, but it does nothing for typing in a forum such as this. I have done it before on another message forum, but I cannot remember what I did differently that makes it possible.

Oh well...guess I will have to learn Greek in Greeklish for now.

thank you so much for all your efforts in helping me

Herema
0 Replies

Herema

Reply Mon 18 Sep, 2006 07:03 pm
I uninstalled my keyboard switcher and re-installed it. It works, but still I cannot bring the Greek font to the message boards.

So...I got a question other than the font problems.

Is there any rule to the accents placed on the words in Greek or is that something one has to learn by practice and repetition like learning to count.

oh...speaking of counting. What are the Greek numbers and can you give the pronunciation of them also.

I would prefer that you write using the Greek font if possible.....

efharisto poli

Herema
0 Replies

Ellinas

Reply Mon 2 Oct, 2006 07:21 am
Herema wrote:
I uninstalled my keyboard switcher and re-installed it. It works, but still I cannot bring the Greek font to the message boards.

So...I got a question other than the font problems.

Is there any rule to the accents placed on the words in Greek or is that something one has to learn by practice and repetition like learning to count.

oh...speaking of counting. What are the Greek numbers and can you give the pronunciation of them also.

I would prefer that you write using the Greek font if possible.....

efharisto poli

Herema

Sorry for the late anwser, I did not see your last post. In Demotic Greek there is no rule about where the accent will be placed. It is clearly a matter of knowing the words and where you will place the accent. Like you said, it is like learning to count.

They are many cases where we have two different words with a different meaning, but with the only difference the accent being in a different letter. For example:
δουλειά: work
δουλεία: slavery

or
Σταύρος: (male name)
Σταυρός: cross

Παρακαλώ Very Happy .
0 Replies

Herema

Reply Mon 2 Oct, 2006 06:57 pm
Quote:
Sorry for the late anwser, I did not see your last post.

That is okay...ah...endaxi <--not sure of spelling. I love seeing the greek font.....one day I may figure out just how to do it here with my machine.

Isn't "tipota" something like "think nothing of it" or "It was nothing"?

I discovered the accent placement dilema early in studies.....fili kai fili..one is friend and the other is kiss. I made a mental note that if I ever do get to Greece (only got as far as getting the passport) that I would avoid calling a Greek gentleman my friend. Laughing

This is nice to have someone who has the patience to teach Greek to a geek. <----not really one of those, but I am a hopeless poet and it rhymed.

Efharisto poli pantote
Herema
0 Replies

Ellinas

Reply Tue 3 Oct, 2006 03:02 am
Herema wrote:
Quote:
Sorry for the late anwser, I did not see your last post.

That is okay...ah...endaxi <--not sure of spelling. I love seeing the greek font.....one day I may figure out just how to do it here with my machine.

Isn't "tipota" something like "think nothing of it" or "It was nothing"?

I discovered the accent placement dilema early in studies.....fili kai fili..one is friend and the other is kiss. I made a mental note that if I ever do get to Greece (only got as far as getting the passport) that I would avoid calling a Greek gentleman my friend. Laughing

This is nice to have someone who has the patience to teach Greek to a geek. <----not really one of those, but I am a hopeless poet and it rhymed.

Efharisto poli pantote
Herema

Εντάξει means "OK". You spelling was correct for Greeklish Smile .

Τίποτα is the word for "nothing". It represents a word, not a phrase.

Regarding the friend/kiss:
φιλί means "kiss"
φίλοι means "friends" (plural) and φίλη means "female friend". These two are pronounced the same. They have this letter difference only when you write them.
The male for friend is φίλος .

Also, φυλή means "race/tribe". It is pronounced just like φιλί (kiss) but the difference here too exists only when you write them.

A bit confusing? Very Happy I would suggest you not to be confused with this stuff yet, you must focus in learning the basic vocabulary and grammar first.

Something else: A problem that many English speakers face when they are learning Greek, is putting the accent in the last letter when talking in words like φιλί . But I believe you can make it with practice.
0 Replies

Herema

Reply Tue 3 Oct, 2006 06:30 pm
Efharisto poli <--where are the accents on these? I try to put the accent on the last when I speak them.

You explain this so wellllllllll.....I am not confused at all. And as you write in the Greek font, I am trying to pronounce the words for practice.

Mostly I want to learn and recognize conversational Greek. I listen to George Dalaras and am now able to understand some of what he sings. I can understand why they call him the Voice of Greece.

It was suggested that I take formal lessons in Greek...but....I took three years of formal French and can remember very little of it now. When living in Italy for a year, I learned some Italian and still remember it. When living in Germany for three years, the German I learned from a maid who could not speak English has stayed with me solidly. So, I like to learn as we go.....conversation.

You explain it very well and make it easy to understand. I am going to write a phrase....please (parakalo) correct me, endaxi.

Den elada kai den milao poli kala ellinika, afto imaste eine cardios ellinika.

I know that is really bad...but if I do not try....I won't learn.

Kalispera filos mou <--assuming you are filos and not filh
me agapi
Herema
0 Replies

Ellinas

Reply Wed 4 Oct, 2006 05:45 am
Herema wrote:
Efharisto poli <--where are the accents on these? I try to put the accent on the last when I speak them.

The accents are in the last letter in both words: Ευχαριστώ πολύ

Herema wrote:
You explain this so wellllllllll.....I am not confused at all. And as you write in the Greek font, I am trying to pronounce the words for practice.

Mostly I want to learn and recognize conversational Greek. I listen to George Dalaras and am now able to understand some of what he sings. I can understand why they call him the Voice of Greece.

Dalaras is a very good singer, however he is not in his glory now as he was in the past. If you want to ask me something about music, do it since I deal a lot with it.

Herema wrote:
It was suggested that I take formal lessons in Greek...but....I took three years of formal French and can remember very little of it now. When living in Italy for a year, I learned some Italian and still remember it. When living in Germany for three years, the German I learned from a maid who could not speak English has stayed with me solidly. So, I like to learn as we go.....conversation.

You explain it very well and make it easy to understand. I am going to write a phrase....please (parakalo) correct me, endaxi.

Den elada kai den milao poli kala ellinika, afto imaste eine cardios ellinika.

I know that is really bad...but if I do not try....I won't learn.

Of course you have to try, none here is going to blame you the mistakes Smile.

"Den elada kai den milao poli kala ellinika" - I guess you want to say: I haven't been to Greece and I don't speak very good Greek.

It is: Δεν έχω πάει στην Ελλάδα και δε μιλάω πολύ καλά ελληνικά

"afto imaste eine cardios ellinika." I am not sure what you want to say here. If you want to say "What I have is a Greek heart", then it is:

Αυτό που έχω είναι ελληνική καρδιά

Herema wrote:
Kalispera filos mou <--assuming you are filos and not filh
me agapi
Herema

Yes, I am φίλος. But when you are calling me, you are going to use a different form: φίλε (Adjectives in Greek have different forms, just like German: Nominativ, Dativ etc.)
0 Replies

Herema

Reply Wed 4 Oct, 2006 06:01 pm
Kalispera, Ellinas

Efharisto yia didaskalia ellinika.

First, how do you split the quotes here? It does make it easier to respond to each part of a post when you do that.

I was trying to say I was not Greek and do not speak Greek very well, and that I have a Greek heart. Guess I did not do toooooooo badly. Smile

Concerning music.....maybe you could tell me what George is saying in one of his songs. It sounds like "spugapoo" and some have told me that he is saying "s'agapo" but I have listen intently and it does not sound at all like "s'agapo." Also, what is popular now in Greece in the area of contemporary classic style music?

If I do not respond for a while, I will be out of town for a week and may not be able to get to a computer. One day I plan to get a laptop, but for now I am usually disconnected while traveling.

efharisto pali (is the accent on pali the same as in poli?)

hopefully, I will learn something about how to get my computer to type the Greek font here while on my trip.

bye4now
Herema
0 Replies

Ellinas

Reply Thu 5 Oct, 2006 04:29 am
Herema wrote:
Kalispera, Ellinas

Efharisto yia didaskalia ellinika.

First, how do you split the quotes here? It does make it easier to respond to each part of a post when you do that.

To split the quotes you have to copy and paste some codes. You must have [/quote] in the end of every quoted part and [quote="Herema"] in the beginning.

Herema wrote:
I was trying to say I was not Greek and do not speak Greek very well, and that I have a Greek heart. Guess I did not do toooooooo badly. Smile

Your expression was good for a Greek starter - I understood what you wanted to say Smile .

Herema wrote:
Concerning music.....maybe you could tell me what George is saying in one of his songs. It sounds like "spugapoo" and some have told me that he is saying "s'agapo" but I have listen intently and it does not sound at all like "s'agapo." Also, what is popular now in Greece in the area of contemporary classic style music?

I can think of a word similar to "spogapoo" so he is probably saying σ'αγαπώ as you said. If you can tell me more information or the title of the song I can maybe be more helpful.

If you are looking for instrumental classical music, composers of this kind are: Stamatis Spanoudakis, Giannis Chrysomalis, Stavros Lantsias and of course Vangelis Papathanasiou. Mimis Plessas also composed some of this kind.

If you are looking for Dallaras' style contemporary classical music have a look at these singers: Alkinoos Ioannidis, Giannis Parios, Dionysis Savvopoulos, Eleftheria Arvanitaki, Charis Alexiou, Giannis Kotsiras.

The most popular music genres in Greece are laika (Zeibekiko, Elafri, Tsifteteli etc.) and rock. 80% of the Greeks listen to these genres only Razz. However classical style is still popular to many people.

Personally I listen to all kinds of music except some kinds of rap and pop, however my favourite genres are Zeibekiko and Elafri Laiko.

Herema wrote:
If I do not respond for a while, I will be out of town for a week and may not be able to get to a computer. One day I plan to get a laptop, but for now I am usually disconnected while traveling.

efharisto pali (is the accent on pali the same as in poli?)

No, in pali the accent is at the first syllabe: πάλι

Herema wrote:
hopefully, I will learn something about how to get my computer to type the Greek font here while on my trip.

bye4now
Herema

Have a nice trip. See you Smile .
0 Replies

Herema

Reply Mon 23 Oct, 2006 04:13 pm
Kalispera, Ellinas

Sorry for taking so long in getting back to A2K. Whew! What a time!!!! A co-worker at work went to Ireland at the same time I went to Oklahoma.....and I met three gents from Ireland. How crazy is that????

Now I am working overtime to make up for time lost at work....but I still want to learn more Greek.

I wonder if you wrote only in Greek forcing me to look up the words...thus building a vocabulary as well as becoming familiar with sentance structure.....would this work? I doubt I would have time to thoroughly learn Greek as much as I would love to, but some is better than none.

anyway, I am back (in and out for the time).

Herema
0 Replies

Ellinas

Reply Mon 23 Oct, 2006 05:26 pm
Herema wrote:
Kalispera, Ellinas

Sorry for taking so long in getting back to A2K. Whew! What a time!!!! A co-worker at work went to Ireland at the same time I went to Oklahoma.....and I met three gents from Ireland. How crazy is that????

Now I am working overtime to make up for time lost at work....but I still want to learn more Greek.

I wonder if you wrote only in Greek forcing me to look up the words...thus building a vocabulary as well as becoming familiar with sentance structure.....would this work? I doubt I would have time to thoroughly learn Greek as much as I would love to, but some is better than none.

anyway, I am back (in and out for the time).

Herema

Εντάξει, θα σου μιλάω στα Ελληνικά αφού το θέλεις Smile .

Καλώς ήρθες πίσω λοιπόν. Πώς ήταν το ταξίδι;

(If you have a problem about a word or sentence don't hesitate to ask)
0 Replies

Herema

Reply Wed 25 Oct, 2006 05:59 pm
This may not be so easy after all. The dictionary I have does not have all the words in it that you have used. Maybe there are variations that are not listed.

Entaxi, tha sou milao sta Ellinika afou to theleis. = Okay, you speak(learn?) Greek when needed.

Kalos irthes piso loipon. Pos itan to taxidi; = Good ___ again then. (somthing) the journey.

Now you can translate the words...first precisely so I can understand the words....then the sentence meaning. I know that translating from one language to another is impossible to do it exactly.

efharisto poli.

Herema
0 Replies

Ellinas

Reply Thu 26 Oct, 2006 04:39 pm
Herema wrote:
Entaxi, tha sou milao sta Ellinika afou to theleis. = Okay, you speak(learn?) Greek when needed.

That means "Okay, I will speak Greek to you since you want to."

μιλάω=I speak
σου μιλάω=I speak to you
αφού το θέλεις=since you want it

Herema wrote:
Kalos irthes piso loipon. Pos itan to taxidi; = Good ___ again then. (somthing) the journey.
a

That means "Welcome back again. How was the journey?"

Καλώς ήρθες= Welcome
πώς=how

Note: πώς means "how" while πως means "that" like you use it in the phrase "I know that..." (the accent difference we talked about again)

Smile
0 Replies