Why did Adolf Hittler kill the Jews?

NL

Reply Sun 14 Aug, 2011 03:56 am
@xingu,
I'm wondering if the persecutors were really Christian or misguided. Constantine sure did not act like a Christian although he started the Roman Catholic church. As Roman Emperor he murdered both his wife and father in law. He also refused to be baptized. Hitler and his top men were catholics, but they murdered the Jews and many others. Hitler could not get as far as he did without supporters. For example, Hitler's concordant with the Vatican was in 1933. That pretty much sealed their fate as Hitler's supporters. So what kind of Christians were these, but false ones.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 14 Aug, 2011 04:01 am
@NL,
NL wrote:
It particularly affected Germany and countries that had a catholic majority . . .

See, this is the kind of thing i'm talking about--Germany did not have a Catholic majority. Italy was already Fascist before Hitler took power. France was militarily overrun. Why are you so obsessed with Catholics? Whatever you may say, you sound just like the fundamentalists who rant and rave and say the Catholics aren't christians.

You apparently don't really know how Hitler came to power. I'd tell you, except you'd go off on the Catholics even more.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 14 Aug, 2011 09:02 am
@NL,
NL wrote:

I think you need to look further back. Hitler could not get as far as he did without supporters early on. For example, Hitler's concordant with the Vatican was in 1933. It particularly affected Germany and countries that had a catholic majority, like the ones you mentioned.

Negotiations between the German Reich and the Holy See (those two were the related countries in this treaty) began as early 1919.
As a result, there had been various 'konkordats' between a couple of German states and the Holy See.
Under Hitler government, the Konkordat between the German Reich and the Holy See was finalised.

During the Weimar Republic (data from the Statistical Yearbook of the German Reich, 1930) 64,2 % of the the population was evangelical, 32,4 % Roman-Catholic, 0,1 % other Christian churches; 0,9 % Jews; 2,5 % "others".
0 Replies