Why did Adolf Hittler kill the Jews?

daydreamer

Reply Wed 6 Jan, 2010 07:37 pm
@McTag,
but why jews?? why did he only pick on jews?? that's the part i don't understand
0 Replies

daydreamer

Reply Wed 6 Jan, 2010 07:46 pm
there is just one thing i want to know. why did he mostly go after jews?? why did he accuse them for losing the war?? and why would he start such a thing to where the survivors that live today, whenever they talk about it they would cry?? all i want to know is why he did this and what caused him to do it, not all this other crap about his friends or family. and i do feel sorry for those who didn't survive and for anyone who had do go threw such a thing. i really do:(
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Wed 6 Jan, 2010 09:33 pm
@Setanta,
Set, I know this is an old post of yours, but I'm enthraled with this conversation.

Off the topic; but do you know this stuff just off the top of your head, or do you have to reference any material? I've long been impressed with your encyclopedic knowledge of history, even if I've sometimes been very unimpressed with your tendency to insult.

But thank you for the information.
hawkeye10

Reply Wed 6 Jan, 2010 10:15 pm
I think that Hitler felt that the Jews were a curse on society, that they had no desire to either reform or assimilate, and given that they refused to change the only solution was to eliminate them.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 6 Jan, 2010 10:50 pm
@Miller,
Miller wrote:

dyslexia wrote:
He was misunderstood and a vegatarian, he had no other choice.

He may have a mother problem and since his mother is thought to have been Jewish, he hated all Jewish people.
I think that was his paternal grandfather.

He was also alleged to have caught his syphilis
from a Jewish lady-of-the-evening b4 he got into politics.
(It was on the verge of killing him, when he shot himself.)
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 6 Jan, 2010 10:54 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:
I think that Hitler felt that the Jews were a curse on society,
that they had no desire to either reform or assimilate,
and given that they refused to change the only solution was to eliminate them.
Some people believe that in the beginning,
he really did not care; (he said that himself), but he found that
this rant was well received by anti-Jewish Germans.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Wed 17 Feb, 2010 06:09 am
Quote:
they had no desire to either reform

Reform? Meaning what?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 17 Feb, 2010 06:20 am
@maporsche,
You know, i'd give you an answer, but i'd be afraid that my tendency to insult would overwhelm me.

Are people completely un-self-reflective? Time and again at this site, i've seen people insult others, while complaining about that person insulting them. This is little different, as far as i can see.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Tue 2 Mar, 2010 02:36 am

http://www.scotsman.com/news/Skinhead-who-became-Orthodox-Jew.6114258.jp

This is amazing, I think.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 2 Mar, 2010 03:30 am
@McTag,

Well, actually quite a lot of Polish Catholics are now 're.finding' their Jewish origin and converting - something which certainly is connected to the anti-Semitism in Poland. (For instance, five years ago, there were 250 Jewish families in Warsaw - now, you find there more than 600.)
aidan

Reply Tue 2 Mar, 2010 04:56 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Quote:
Well, actually quite a lot of Polish Catholics are now 're.finding' their Jewish origin and converting - something which certainly is connected to the anti-Semitism in Poland.

That's interesting. It'd seem more logical that they'd distance themselves from their Jewish origins in response to anti-Semitism in their surroundings.

But the other interesting point is that their Catholicism or Christianity must have been in name only, if upon being told they had Jewish origins they could reject the faith they'd been embracing, or at least identifying with, all their lives.

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 2 Mar, 2010 05:43 am
@aidan,
aidan wrote:

But the other interesting point is that their Catholicism or Christianity must have been in name only, if upon being told they had Jewish origins they could reject the faith they'd been embracing, or at least identifying with, all their lives.

This Jewish family, McTag's link is about, is one example of that (though his parents stayed Catholic).
aidan

Reply Tue 2 Mar, 2010 05:52 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Yeah, that guy was fascinating. The only way I can explain it is that he has one of those all or nothing personalities that causes him to totally embrace that which he decides to embrace or totally denigrate whatever it is he decides to denigrate. When he hated Jews, he hated them all the way - he was a skinhead. When he embraced them, he embraced them all the way. No middle ground for him.
I wonder what his realtionship with his parents is like now- I wonder how he views them or how they view him. Maybe they indirectly or directly influenced his views of Jews by their denial of that part of their heritage. It'd be interesting to hear the story from their viewpoint.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 2 Mar, 2010 06:11 am
@aidan,
aidan wrote:

Yeah, that guy was fascinating. The only way I can explain it is that he has one of those all or nothing personalities that causes him to totally embrace that which he decides to embrace or totally denigrate whatever it is he decides to denigrate. When he hated Jews, he hated them all the way - he was a skinhead. When he embraced them, he embraced them all the way. No middle ground for him.
I wonder what his realtionship with his parents is like now- I wonder how he views them or how they view him. Maybe they indirectly or directly influenced his views of Jews by their denial of that part of their heritage. It'd be interesting to hear the story from their viewpoint.

His father died last year, was buried as a catholic but Pawel spoke the kaddish.
His mother is visiting him and his family mainly on Fridays ... to celebrate Sabbath with them.

(It was his now wife who gave the inspration to look at his Jewish background ... more than 10 years ago.)
aidan

Reply Tue 2 Mar, 2010 06:15 am
@Walter Hinteler,
It's wonderful that he found something to replace his hatred with- and that his parents can share it with him.

0 Replies

NL

Reply Thu 11 Aug, 2011 12:33 am
@xingu,
Yes, it does seem Catholicism was created to persecute the Jews. European nations that are Catholic strongholds have a history of hating the Jews. These includes Germany, France, and Italy (Vatican). But other Christian nations like Greece, Holland, Great Britain, and United States fought off the Nazis. Just the Catholics seem to follow strange spirits that lead them into Crusades and Inquisitions...and Holocaust. Not all Catholics are like Hitler though.

Because of persecution, most Jews do not witness to others about their awesome God, their history, the Scriptures, or share the Passover. They tend to keep all these things to themselves. But they were not supposed to. God had mandated them to be a blessing unto all nations. So God came himself in the form of man, a Jewish man, to give the Jews courage. Jesus demonstrated the awesome power of God and even died and rose again. Here is the Jews' awesome God once more showing Himself to them! Will the Jews carry forth the news of the risen Savior-Jesus Christ? Some have, like the Early Christians and Apostles. But unfortunately, many Jews have fallen mute again.

Nevertheless, we have documents and letters written by people throughout the ages. You can find many of these documents compiled together in the Bible. Besides witnessing the power of God in the here and now, we can also know God and follow his guidance. For example, we can read in the book of Acts about the Early Church and the power manifested by the Holy Spirit. It's good to know that non-Jews were welcomed into the fellowship of believers. It's also good to know that these believers did not celebrate pagan festivals like Christmas (a sun-god holiday) or Easter (a pagan fertility holiday). They did however celebrate the Passover. Jesus taught the disciples to remember him through the keeping of this tradition. He is our Passover Lamb, the perfect sacrifice and the Messiah who is to come for both Jews and Gentiles.

I have learned from the Jewish nation and pray for the peace of Jerusalem. I am from Taiwan.

Setanta

Reply Thu 11 Aug, 2011 04:41 am
@NL,
So, what leads you to hate and vilify the Catholics? Are you one of those "born again because some slick American fundamentalist preacher suckered me" type of christian, and hating Catholics just come with the territory?
NL

Reply Sat 13 Aug, 2011 01:34 am
@Setanta,
I'm actually married to a Catholic and learn about the history of the Catholic Church! I was just stating what I have concluded from studying history. I'm sure some Catholics would agree with my opinion. In fact, it was a lady I met at a Catholic Church 14 years ago who told me I was lucky I wasn't raised Catholic. She told me that she had been reading the Bible on her own and realized how she had been misguided growing up in the Catholic Church all her life. Her plan was to remain in the Catholic church and lead Bible studies so others can come to the Lord. She was already over 60 years old and God was giving her a ministry! Praise the Lord. I admire Catholics like her and pray for more Catholics to be "born again" as Jesus called it.

I could care less what American fundamentalist preachers say or what any type of preacher or priest say. I'm like that 60+ year old Catholic lady--I'll stick to the Bible and listen to what the Lord says.

BTW, I was responding to someone else's statement regarding the role Catholicism played during the Holocaust and how several catholic nations sided with Hitler in exterminating the Jews-- is a fact. I don't apologize. I thought this was a scholarly site and that people read history.
Oh well, thanks for your response anyways.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 13 Aug, 2011 02:10 am
If you're going to claim historical authority, it would help to have a little on your side. Germany is not and never has been a "Catholic stronghold," at least not since the time of Martin Luther. Southern Germany and Austria were Catholic, but even after Austria was amalgamated with the rest of Germany in 1938, Germany was by no means a Catholic stronghold. Furthermore, although Catholicism my be the dominant religion in France, it would be a mistake to attempt to characterize France as a "Catholic stronghold." It is hardly reasonable to suggest that France and the French were universally supporters of Germany, or abettors of the crimes against the Jews. Even in the case of Italy, Catholicism is hardly to blame for fascism or its excesses, either in Italy or in Germany. The Italians did not march in lockstep with Germany, and refused to hand over Italian Jews to the Germans. The Germans were only able to round up Italian Jews, and then not all of them, after the fall of Mussolini, when Germans took over as much of Italy as they were able to control militarily.

Finally, your remarks about Catholics and the bible are ludicrously misguided. Although you may not agree with them, devout Catholics believe that they do follow the bible, and that it Protestants often who do not, or that Protestants distort the "teaching" of the bible. I have no dog in that fight, because i'm not a christian. But you're spewing anti-Catholic bias typical of fundamentalist chrsitians, and blaming it on historical "truth" is an insult to thoughful christians as well as to history itself.
NL

Reply Sun 14 Aug, 2011 03:52 am
@Setanta,
I think you need to look further back. Hitler could not get as far as he did without supporters early on. For example, Hitler's concordant with the Vatican was in 1933. It particularly affected Germany and countries that had a catholic majority, like the ones you mentioned. Sure some of these countries wanted his leadership and others had to obey and follow his orders because they were forced to. But luckily there was resistance so that it was not an universal support of Nazism. Hitler misguided a lot of people and had help in doing so very early on.