Reply Sat 12 Aug, 2006 08:00 pm
Fascinating article in today's New York Times magazine.
Here's the link -
http://www.nytimes.com/2006/08/13/magazine/13obesity.html?pagewanted=1

Title of the article is Fat Factors -
I'd copy part of it but it is six pages long and covers complex issues with a lot of new (to me and I bet a lot of others) information.

To read it, you probably have to register with the paper if you haven't already;, sorry about that.

I started another thread today on obesity, will come back and give a link.

Ah, here it is - Food Supply the culprit?
http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=80827&highlight=
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,307 • Replies: 15
No top replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 12 Aug, 2006 08:02 pm
Oooh, I'm going to be linking to this one a lot, I think. (Have only read the first several paragraphs, will read the rest now... or tomorrow, when I get the paper version.)
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 12 Aug, 2006 08:18 pm
Just finished it. Interesting!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 12 Aug, 2006 08:36 pm
I'll be interested to see any letters to the editor in response. Wash U used to have a quite a good med research rep..
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 13 Aug, 2006 10:38 am
If this does turn out to be true, I'm not sure it will be the positive thing for fat people that the author seems to be imagining. I think it could be early AIDS reactions writ large -- "get away from me, fat person, I don't want to catch your fat virus!!"
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 13 Aug, 2006 10:51 am
Which would be based on ignorance, of course. That's part of why I didn't quote.. there is a long explanation of the complexity of the flora that's just one element of the article.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 13 Aug, 2006 10:58 am
Oh, of course. My point was not that it was true in any way, but that the author's assumption about how it would change perceptions of fat people may be an overly-rosy assumption.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 13 Aug, 2006 11:01 am
I didn't think you thought that was true.. and I agree about the possible reaction.. that kind of reaction hadn't occurred to me before you mentioned it.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 13 Aug, 2006 11:07 am
I look forward to the next article, this stuff is fascinating on several levels.

This one, among other things, reiterated for me the futility of dieting to lose weight, something you and I have talked about a lot. Exercise is far more reliable.

Another spare thought is the idea (which has come up here a few times in a "how do I lose weight?" context) that 3,500 calories = one pound is just way too simplistic. People's internal settings are all over the map. 3,500 calories may actually equal .25 pound to one person and 3 pounds to another.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 13 Aug, 2006 12:02 pm
Yes, and that was reiterated in this article too...
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sun 13 Aug, 2006 02:09 pm
I completely agree that the human metabolism is a large and complicated subject.

So are the human psyche and the human mind both of which complicate the relationships between individuals and food.

Will power is not the complete answer to obesity.

All the same, in famine situations everyone eventually loses weight.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sun 13 Aug, 2006 02:44 pm
I just realized the flip side of Soz's "Eeeew! Take your piggy microbes away!"

Suppose innoculations of the fat cells were available in famine haunted countries?

Or for explorers on other planets where the supply lines from Earth would be long and tenuous.

Or for armed forces "living off the land" in inhospitable regions.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 2 Sep, 2008 09:32 pm
Both bumping and adding that I doubt you have to register at the NYT to read the article now, or at least you don't have to pay for it, as was required some time ago after the article was more than seven days old. The link still works for me.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 6 Mar, 2010 08:12 pm
Updating this thread with recent news item -

http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE6234K520100304
Could Germs be Making You Fat?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 6 Apr, 2010 08:50 pm
The government of Hong Kong recently issued a warning to its citizens against ingesting Ascaris worms for weight loss purposes. One of the latest diet crazes in the country, the practice of eating the giant intestinal roundworms has become so popular that the nation's Department of Health decided to make a public statement in opposition to it.
ossobuco

Reply Wed 7 Apr, 2010 11:16 am
@edgarblythe,
I remember those from Zoology 1A..
Eeeeeek!
0 Replies