Lamont Leading Lieberman In Early REturns

Lash

Reply Wed 9 Aug, 2006 07:36 pm
I've GOT to see that voting record.

I remember years of him agreeing with the GOP over Dems on many major issues. <I was crazy about him.>

Thanks for the heads up. I'll investigate.

But, I don't blame the Dems for cutting him loose, even though he's a great guy.

He's for very limited abortion--rare for the Dems.

Pro-death penalty-------rare for the Dems

Increase defense spending and law enforcement--------yadda yadda yadda
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 9 Aug, 2006 07:49 pm
Not to mention that whole Iraq war issue thingy

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Wed 9 Aug, 2006 07:51 pm
Very Happy Yeah, there's that.

But, I see my error. What we normally consider the defining issues--the ones about and the war--he's conservative--but on a multitude of less noted issues, he's liberal.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Wed 9 Aug, 2006 07:51 pm
dyslexia wrote:
just what is the latest poll? is it that 61% of american thinks the invasion of iraq was a mistake? Joe disagrees. The majority wants him out. You all really hate majority rule? Interesting take on the republicans view of democracy.

The majority of Democrats in Connecticut that is. It will be good to get a Republican Senator in that state.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Wed 9 Aug, 2006 07:58 pm
Not much chance of a Republican Senator from Connecticut this go-around; its gonna be Lamont or Lieberman ... and with that choice comprising the only viable alternatives, expect many otherwise-Republican voters to choose Lieberman. That well may bode somewhat ill for Lamont's prospects. Will it matter? Well, we shall see.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Wed 9 Aug, 2006 08:02 pm
Conn needs a carpet bagger like Hillary. Who could be up to the task?
0 Replies

blueflame1

Reply Wed 9 Aug, 2006 08:45 pm
McGentrix, call Alan Keyes. http://www.renewamerica.us/keyes/wethepeople.jpg
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Wed 9 Aug, 2006 09:03 pm
No, someone that can win.
0 Replies

Dookiestix

Reply Wed 9 Aug, 2006 09:15 pm
McGentrix wrote:
No, someone that can win.

Exactly!
0 Replies

kelticwizard

Reply Thu 10 Aug, 2006 04:57 am
Lash wrote:
I've GOT to see that voting record.

Okay. Very Happy

The liberal Americans For Democratic Action gives Lieberman a lifetime rating of 76 percent. His Connecticut Senate colleague, Chris Dodd, gets only slightly higher at 84 percent

Conversely, the American Conservative Union gives Lieberman a lifetime rating of only 17 percent.

Lieberman is liberal on most things, as Timber pointed out earlier.
0 Replies

kelticwizard

Reply Thu 10 Aug, 2006 05:28 am
Just as an interesting aside, Connecticut has five Representatives and three of them are Republicans.

However, if you check the American Conservative Union site, you see how often they vote conservative:

Rob Simmons-54%
Chris Shays-47%
Nancy Johnson-47%

Connecticut Republicans vote liberal as often as they vote conservative. Of course, they all vote for a Republican Speaker of the House and Republican majorities on all committees, which is probably their most important vote.

By the way, the allegedly "moderate" John McCain votes conservative 83% of the time. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Thu 10 Aug, 2006 11:05 am
Of course, no one here has factored in that national exposure revealed Lieberman's less than attractive personality and the reaction he creates in his audience that he is less than genuine.
0 Replies

SierraSong

Reply Thu 10 Aug, 2006 11:14 am
plainoldme wrote:
Of course, no one here has factored in that national exposure revealed Lieberman's less than attractive personality and the reaction he creates in his audience that he is less than genuine.

ROFL!!!

Since when? It wasn't less attractive a few years ago?????????? LOL!!

http://www.demstore.com/scstore/Gore-Lieberman/images/sign14x22.jpg
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Thu 10 Aug, 2006 11:30 am
SierraSong wrote:
plainoldme wrote:

ROFL!!!

That was different!

Laughing
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Thu 10 Aug, 2006 11:35 am
I do not respond to ignorance.
0 Replies

Dookiestix

Reply Thu 10 Aug, 2006 11:59 am
SierraSong wrote:
plainoldme wrote:

ROFL!!!

It wasn't attractive then, and it certainly isn't attractive now. Anyone with half a brain who watched the vice presidential debates between Lieberman and Cheney in 2000 could see the farce unfolding before our very eyes.

Lieberman is a friggin' Republican plant. Why else is every major Republican kissing his arse after his loss in Connecticut? Why else would Rove call Lieberman's people in offering Bush's unfettered support for his independent run? All this after the statistic that Lieberman voted with Democrats 90% of the time. If that's the case, why would Republicans suddenly flock to him?

Honestly, I hope more Americans open their eyes and look hard at the bigger picture here. Since Lieberman's loss, there has been a whirlwind of bloviating crap from the right regarding this election as an affirmation of the terrorists winning; that Democrats are terrorists; that Democrats can't be trusted with nationa security (despite polls to the contrary; and that we just had a recent terrorist scare that has been described as being a "mass murder on an unimaneagable scale."

All of this is right out of the Rove playbook. The timing is impecable, and the stakes couldn't be higher for Republicans. They know they're losing America's trust in the GOP to protect them. So what do they do? They scare them.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Thu 10 Aug, 2006 12:20 pm
Dookie -- I think they totally misunderstood the meaning of words, "national exposure," in my post. Prior to his having been tapped to run for vice president, hardly anyone knew him. Many of us felt he was put on the ticket for geographic reasons. Others felt his resemblance to Wall Street Republicans earned him a place.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Thu 10 Aug, 2006 12:28 pm
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Thu 10 Aug, 2006 12:51 pm
plainoldme wrote:
Dookie -- I think they totally misunderstood the meaning of words, "national exposure," in my post. Prior to his having been tapped to run for vice president, hardly anyone knew him. Many of us felt he was put on the ticket for geographic reasons. Others felt his resemblance to Wall Street Republicans earned him a place.

And after the Cheney/Lieberman debate most people (except Dookie, apparently) thought the wrong men had been nominated for President.

In fact, I don't believe there was any widespread Democratic movement to oppose Lieberman until recently, when he has remained a staunch supporter of the war in Iraq. Clearly that is the seminal issue that has caused him to lose favor with the peace-at-all-costs element of his party.
0 Replies

Dookiestix

Reply Thu 10 Aug, 2006 12:58 pm
plainoldme wrote:

I'm sure they did. I think Lieberman was also tapped for religious reasons, as it was around that time that the religious right was starting to make some real headway thoroughly hijacking the Republican party, and the Dems felt the need to counter that, as the demonization of Gore became readily apparent as Republicans clumped him together with all those evil liberal secularists.

But certainly it has been the national exposure of this primary that has shown Joe's true colors, as well as the true colors of the two party system is it's unbelievable hypocrisy. Who would have thought that the Republican punditry and the Rovian media shills would fall over backwards in praising Joe Lieberman, despite his voting 90% of the time with Democrats in the Senate.

The absurdity just gets more and more ludicrous. It's getting harder to keep track of if all.
0 Replies