Deprovera: Side Effects

Reply Wed 2 Aug, 2006 04:38 pm
A couple of days ago, my boyfriend and I were fooling around and afterwards I went to the bathroom. When I went to the bathroom, it felt like something fell out of me. I looked in the toilet and there was something at the bottom of the toilet that looked like flesh. I didn't know what to do so I flushed it down the toilet. Then, after I came home from work, I was changing into something more comfortable, but I noticed in my underwear, that there was a piece of flesh in my underwear. It was brown and red coloration, like hamburger going bad. I have no clue as to why this is happening to my body and I was wondering if it has anything to do with the shot.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 29,172 • Replies: 35
No top replies

NickFun

Reply Wed 2 Aug, 2006 05:05 pm
Damn girl that's scary! You haven't noticed any body parts falling off? These things happen as a person enters zombification.
0 Replies

Picaresque

Reply Wed 2 Aug, 2006 11:19 pm
NickFun wrote:
Damn girl that's scary! You haven't noticed any body parts falling off? These things happen as a person enters zombification.

Yah, I know! I have no clue what's going on with my body right now. I have talked to one of my girlfriends that has been taking deprovera for a while, but nothing like that has ever happened to her. I'm really scared right now, to the point where I don't even want to leave the house.
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Thu 3 Aug, 2006 09:30 am
I sometimes work with a lady who was using deprovera. Of course, that was before the birth of her daughter. It seems the stuff doesn't always work.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 3 Aug, 2006 10:29 am
Have you talked to your doctor?

If he's "too busy" check the blue pages in the telephone book for the Planned Parenthood number. The volunteers there know a great deal about birth control.
0 Replies

Picaresque

Reply Thu 3 Aug, 2006 11:55 am
The problem is: I don't have a doctor anymore. I just moved to a whole different state. I have no clue what I'm supposed to be looking for and I don't have any medical insurance at this time.

Calling Planned Parenthood is a good idea, I really appreciate your help. Thank you very much.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 3 Aug, 2006 01:37 pm
Picaresque--

You're welcome.
0 Replies

trish the dish

Reply Thu 10 Aug, 2006 09:45 pm
I know this is kind of a weird question but is it slimey and sort of clumpy? Because when I first started the shot and stopped having regular periods, every once an a while there would be a few large, clumpy, slimey, redish-brown things in the toilet after I went to the bathroom or in my underwear. I asked my docter about it because I was new to the whole shot thing and it really freaked me out. Like you said, it looks like a chunk of flesh! He said that it was normal because it was the blood that would normaly have been flushed out with your period. He also said it was basically coagulated blood. So when you're fooling around, going to the bathroom, or just every day stuff it has to come out some how. But I'd still check with a doctor to make 100% sure.
0 Replies

Oceans away

Reply Wed 13 Sep, 2006 06:23 pm
Definetly see your doctor - i would beleive you have had a miscarriage. I have been on the shot for 4 years never fell pregnant, never got a period and whenever a shot was due i got a period till the shot was given again. Side effects was a little bit of weight gain, the occasional pain in the abdomen but never anything like that. A lot of my friends are on the shot too and never anything you describe.
0 Replies

makemeshiver33

Reply Wed 13 Sep, 2006 09:56 pm
I'm not a doctor, but I think you need to find one to share this with. It sounds like clots.....

Warning: I'm going to share gross details.

Years ago, I had the same thing happen to myself. Unfortunately, it happened with my periods. I was passing clots, large ones. I was used to having abnormal periods, heavy bleeding anywhere from 7 to 14 days, along with passing clots. This one particular morning I was awakened with an even more abnormal period, were talking...having to change bed sheets and mop floors. By that afternoon, I had bled so much that I was weak, by that night...I had passed out. I ended up in the hospital for 3 days, they performed an emergency D&C,I had to recieved two units of blood, when they wanted three.... and stopped me from having a period for 6 months. (not to count I have AB positive blood type)

No, I wasn't on the shot, but I just want you to realize what can happen. If your passing clots without a period, you may run the risk of passing them with your period, which in some cases can be dangerous...as in mine.

Just be careful and find you an doctor to be on the safe side...

Quote:
My gynecologist explains clots to me as follows: Blood is pushed out of your uterus when the uterus contracts (you don't necessarily feel these contractions, but when they are strong, you feel them as cramps). The uterus releases "anti-coagulants" during menstruation. These are supposed to keep the blood from clotting up as it passes from the uterus to the vagina, thus making the whole bleeding process easier.

But if you have days of heavy cramps and heavy bleeding, you may pass dark, chunky clots of blood. On such days your contractions are so fast and so strong that the blood gets forced out before the anti-coagulants have time to take effect. So the blood clots. And you pass big chunky gobs of stuff.

If the clots you are passing are larger than, say, a quarter, you might want to ask your doctor about it, because that indicates that your periods are quite heavy, and they might want to check for fibroids (benign tumors).
0 Replies

stilllooking23

Reply Wed 4 Oct, 2006 04:32 pm
any advice on how to treat these symptoms?
I'm glad that I've found this forum because my gyno seems very inexperienced with handling my symptoms. I would really appreciate it if any of you who has had similar symptoms could share some insight.

Here's my problem: During the last two years, almost every period, I have become incapacitated. Read- vomitting a good amount of food, having diarhea, suffering hot flashes, feeling as if I have some sort of very painful, sickening blood disease in my uterine area. I have tried not eating the day before my period starts, and that does not help. Regular exercise does not make a significant difference, either. Those symptoms happen during the first two days of my period. I do not suffer from cramps. When I did once suffer from cramps, it was my appendix bursting. During the two days I suffer those symptoms, the only way I stop myself from screaming bloody murder is staying in a warm bathtub, which helps some. I have had to miss Easter brunch with the family, skip studying for a mid-term college exam, and stay at home instead of going on a mini-retreat with friends because of those problems.

Here's the treatment: I was recently on Estrostep birth control to treat those symptoms for three or four months. It hardly helped; I still felt very sick and was incapacitated. The only difference was that in addition to the severe sickness, I felt a sharp pain where my right ovary is, the day or two before my period began. Now, I am on DeproVera. I recieved my first shot Sept. 8th. I am very worried about the mood swings and depression that some of you have complained of, as I think I have a pre-disposition to those. My gyno did not inform me of those when I asked about side effects. So far, I have not had any spotting.

Again, have any of you suffered similar symptoms? How have you coped? My gyno does not seem to have treated anyone with my symptoms, and she does not seem to make much of an effort to finding doctors who have successfully treated women with my symptoms or doing other research. I know every woman's body is different, but I would really appreciate reading others' experiences.

Thanks in advance!
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Thu 5 Oct, 2006 11:25 am
I know a lady who was on DeproVera. She began suffering morning sickness and vomitting. The doctors thought she had some sort of tumor and began treating her for that. They did not bother to do a pregnancy test because she was on DeproVera. After a couple months a wise young doctor did a pregnancy test and revealed she was pregnant! The baby is now 2 and doing fine.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Thu 5 Oct, 2006 12:53 pm
Depovera is a dangerous birth control and should not be used anymore unless there are no other options.

The side effects are many (because it is given in a higher dose than the pill), some are serious and include increased risk of osteoperosis, loss of libido, hair loss, depression, nausea, body pains , breast tenderness, increased risk of breast cancer, severe headaches, slow returning fertility, possible supression of immune system, heart palpitations, weakness, rash, hot flashes, bloating, abdominal pain, convulsions, fainting, paralysis, blood clots, allergic reaction, infertility, weight gain and pain during sex. Not to mention, these side effects may last beyond taking depo.

PLEASE PLEASE do your research on this poison. Read what the leaflet the doctor gives you doesn't say, and what real women are saying about it.

I don't trust Depo and wouldn't take it if I had to.
0 Replies

Jennymae

Reply Tue 24 Oct, 2006 06:10 am
i have a question about depo
i have been on the depo-prevara shot for...about 8 months now, next month i will be going in for my 4th shot. im having really abnormal side effects, and im considering switching to the pill...

i started my period when i was 5 years old. ive had one every month since then, now im 20 years old and recently in the past 4 -5 years i began having two periods every month, in the beginning my original plan was to get on the shot bc i was having a period just about every two weeks, it would last about 4 days, but the 4 days were miserable and i was becoming emotional all the time due to my period. i finally decided to get on the shot when i started becoming sexually active with my boyfriend. i figured it would help to regulate my periods and also reduce the possibility of pregnancy.

since then, ive had my periods...but not anything like i had expected. when i start my period...its like a normal period...but it lasts for about a month and a half. because i have to keep changing out my tampons and shower constantly, ive started having urinary tract infections...and the medicine i take for the UTI causes a yeast infection.

my periods will be heavily steady for the first week, and then after that i will bleed heavily off and on for about 4 more weeks, i might go a whole day dry and then that night i'll bleed heavily for about an hour and then i wont bleed again till the next morning. some days are different. some days i will have the big blood clot looking thing at the bottom of the toilet too. one time it was like the size of a golf ball. it freaked me out.

because of this, i have a constant "issue" down there, i'm either bleeding, in horrible pain bc of a UTI, or im uncomfortable bc of a yeast infection. and it definately isnt helping my sex life...its made me to where im not as sexually arroused as i usually would be, bc im nervous of spotting, or clooting...or pain.

also i've been experiencing mood swings that cause me to throw temper tantrums and become out of control, and ive also developed an anxiety disorder.

i havent experienced weight gain, in fact ive lost abut 35 lbs. I was overweight when i started, and about 4 months later i began to take Phentermine, its a weight loss pill.

i have an apointment with my gyno on thursday and im hoping to get some answers, since my doctor hasnt been any help. anything i've asked her has gotten a completely out there...non relavent answer and so i quit going to that doctor. i was checked twice before and once after i started the period. i dont have any STDs or conditions, and obviously im not pregnant.

im wondering if these are side effects due to the shot...or if its just coincedence that they started recently and if i should be concerned.
turkle

Reply Fri 17 Nov, 2006 05:32 pm
Depoprovera
I don't know Anything about the side effects of Depo
I read on the FDA website to use it for 2 yrs. because of the
risk of bone density loss. YOu should go check out that site.
I am on the pill. I don't want to go on the shot.
I am having surgery done to prevent pregnancy.
0 Replies

teenlookingforadvice

Reply Sun 7 Jan, 2007 02:12 pm
Depo Shot Not Exaclly What Its Cracked Up To Be.
This is my 3rd shot and I'm 16 years old althought I started when I was fithteen. I have had nothing but trouble with this shot. I'm always feeling sick,I have horrible stomach cramps to the point where i have tears in my eyes,my moods have changed from happy to super upset all the time and i have no idea why. Then this morning i wake up with huge blood clots with a brownish slimmy look to them. I have no clue what to do like I'm seriously scared. If anyone can help that would be big time appreciated. Thank You
cyphercat

Reply Sun 7 Jan, 2007 03:12 pm
It's not really that complicated: Obviously you need to go talk to your doctor about your concerns. There are plenty of other options if you feel like the shot isn't working for you, no reason to stick with it if it worries you.
0 Replies

lisamarie

Reply Thu 1 Feb, 2007 11:34 am
Depra vera
Hi, Ive been on Dep for almost a yr. as convenient as it was, ive decided to come off next month before my injection. Ive put on 8 kg, and not had a period in over 11 months, Ive not felt the same since it started.
Anyone have any similiar side effects?
0 Replies

saskia

Reply Thu 5 Apr, 2007 10:27 pm
Deprovera and depression
I had my last deprovera injection a little over 6 months now in October 2005, and it was my second injection. I gain weight and have had extreme mood swings and depression ever since. I have not had a period since I went off it! Everyday I produce a brown sluggish discharge, which does occasionally develope into clots like old blood. I also have started to develope a pain on the side of my ovaries and suffer from migraines. Because of my depression and moods my family believe I may have BiPolar? But im not convinced! I don't wont to start treating myself for BiPolar if the cause of my moods is this injection? Please give me same feed back on any similar cases it would be much appreciated![/I]
0 Replies

pennylowry

Reply Mon 14 May, 2007 12:42 pm
I am very upset I put my 17 year old daughter on depra beccause her doctor said because she was diabetic that this was the safest birth control to be on. Well before the shot i hade a very happy entergitic daughter and oh so loveable . Her boyfriend came to me two weeks after she got the shot and was complaining that she was always upset and very moodly, he also asked my if i thout it ccould me the shot. I said no that was not a side affect at least nothing that the doctor told me about. I resurched it and found out it cause mood swing and depression. I am very upset and can not wait till this shot were off to get my daughter back. If anyone nows how i can help her untill this happens please let me Know. VERY WORRIED