Mel Gibson--In Vino Veritas?

material girl

Reply Thu 3 Aug, 2006 05:48 am
He could play himself in a film of his life!!
Ive heard he may get 6 months for drink driving.
0 Replies

firefly

Reply Thu 3 Aug, 2006 06:23 am
Do you really think he'll get any jail time? Laughing
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Thu 3 Aug, 2006 06:34 am
firefly wrote:

Of course not. Australia is no different to the US in that regard. Famous people walk from actions that would land us in prison.
0 Replies

Atavistic

Reply Thu 3 Aug, 2006 06:38 am
Noddy24 wrote:
Atavistic--

First of all, I'm an agnostic.

Mel Gibson will have to deal with his version of God--as well as his public and the Hollywood power centers--for his drunken outburst.

If your sobriety or your immortal soul are helped by forgiving Mel Gibson, I am happy for you.

There but for the grace of God go I? Perhaps, but I don't drink and drive, I don't make sexist remarks, I don't malign any religion and I don't trade on my personal power to absolve me of my stupidity.

"Judge not that ye be not judged" sounds like a recipe to hand morality over to "experts". I have t wonder whether you just joined A2K because we're a highly intelligent and perceptive group of people or whether you are part of a paid claque to redeem Mel Gibson on the internet.

Have you been lurking for awhile--or are you working through a list of sites that you've been assigned?

Is this what you really think? That I'm some sort of mole sent here to defend Mel Gibson? I find this accusation ridiculous and insulting. What a cynical world this has become.

Believe whatever you want. That's none of my business. I was simply stating my opinion on the matter. I see a certain vindictiveness in many people's reaction to this that I find disgusting. I never even denied that he was an anti-semite. He might be, he might not be. But to treat his drunken outburst to a lone cop as some sort of incitement to hatred is beyond ridiculous.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Thu 3 Aug, 2006 06:42 am
Who hates him?

He's just lost a great deal of business.

Vindictiveness? What he said was deplorable, and anyone without an agenda would well understand the responses.

His outburst wasn't to a lone cop--as if that would make it any better. It was a hate-filled rant against an entire group of people, based on ethnicity.

Don't like the Jews, eh?
0 Replies

Atavistic

Reply Thu 3 Aug, 2006 06:43 am
Wilso wrote:
firefly wrote:

Of course not. Australia is no different to the US in that regard. Famous people walk from actions that would land us in prison.

Actually, for a first dui offense, NOBODY does jail time. A 90 day suspension of license and a fine is the punishment. At least here in NY. Even for a second offense, very few people actually get jail time. At least this was the case about 5 years ago. Things may have changed.
0 Replies

Atavistic

Reply Thu 3 Aug, 2006 06:54 am
Lash wrote:
Who hates him?

He's just lost a great deal of business.

Vindictiveness? What he said was deplorable, and anyone without an agenda would well understand the responses.

His outburst wasn't to a lone cop--as if that would make it any better. It was a hate-filled rant against an entire group of people, based on ethnicity.

Don't like the Jews, eh?

We obviously aren't going to see eye to eye on this. I don't understand what you mean by "anyone without an agenda." What is my agenda?

Was he on tv preaching hatred of Jews? Did he write a book lambasting the Jews? No he had a drunken outburst to a lone cop. It may be deplorable, but there are many things that people say that are deplorable to me. Such is life.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 3 Aug, 2006 08:44 am
Denial and rationalization of Mel's transgression is an example of idol worship and, I suspect, by those who are also in the shadow of alcoholism. This might get him into rehap and recover and then, perhaps he can make an effective film about the subject like "The Lost Weekend" or "The Days of Wine and Roses." The recent films on the subject have been mediocre at best. Again, driving 87 MPH on that highway in Malibu is a suicide wish. Unfortunately, he could have taken a life or other lives if he wasn't stopped. There's little doubt he's done this many times before -- that's just how it works. Flaunting the law of attrition in a very self-destructive way. This is how many alcoholics do see the light, go into rehab and recovery and hopefully do not abuse alcohol the rest of their lives. Unfortunately, AA can only claim about a 10 percent success rate. Psychiatric help, the way out for most Hollywood people, will do little. I don't know what is in store for Mel but before this, I had not trouble reading him as an arrogant, egotistical nabob whose Oscar had gone to his head. How do you think his wife will take the photos in the public drinking hole with his arms hanging around other women? He has a bad history of a carousing womanizer which he has stated he had given up for the fundamentalist Catholic god. Seems like it didn't take.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 3 Aug, 2006 08:46 am
Atavistic--

Quote:
Is this what you really think? That I'm some sort of mole sent here to defend Mel Gibson? I find this accusation ridiculous and insulting. What a cynical world this has become.

I'm sorry you found my speculation insulting. You seem to be active on several other threads and I'm perfectly willing to consider that I may have made an error.

Unfortunately for Mel Gibson, there is such a thing as bad publicity.
Mel Gibson makes his money by being a controversial public figure. He is a celebrity. Most of the time he's delighted to have his words or actions reported as news.

Unfortunately celebrities aren't permitted to pick and choose which of their words or actions will be publicized.

There are probably at least a hundred thousand people in this world who are more objectionable in word or deed that Mel Gibson. This doesn't mean that he didn't present himself in a very unattractive way.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Thu 3 Aug, 2006 08:49 am
It's pretty clear that the outburst wouldn't have occurred unless what he said reflected his true feelings. I'm voting with my dollars. He's out.
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Thu 3 Aug, 2006 08:53 am
If O.J. can get off.........
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 3 Aug, 2006 08:58 am
Lest we forget, Wynona Ryder's arrest for shoplifting was a media blitz for months and it's convenient to forget the publicity surrounding Michael Jackson. I don't know if drugs or alcohol were involved in those fiascos, but Winona was in possession of drugs without any prescription and Michael had his "Jesus Juice." There's also a certain right-wing pundit who's had a lot of problems with drug abuse and now has other legal problems -- the media blitz on that is well known. Mel Gibson can't be singled out as a victim. He is not a victim. He is, quite plainly a drunk, a womanizer (what happened to his devotion to the fundamentalist Catholid beliefs there?), has become a prig (try to watch some of his interviews after "The Lashin' of the Christ" was released), a pompous ass, a bad actor (try to watch his moribund, dour, unfeeling performance in "Signs" or his pathetic self-examination and unfunny performance in "What Women Want.")

Apparantly some people selectively read and watch the news and immediately go into denial on anything they don't want to accept.
0 Replies

Atavistic

Reply Thu 3 Aug, 2006 09:30 am
Lightwizard, I admit my alcoholism contributes to my empathy towards the man, but your accusation of "idol-worship" is going too far. I do not consider myself a "fan" of Mel Gibson. He is an ok actor and a pretty good director. I appreciate his faith although I consider him to be a bit fanatical in his beliefs. I completely agree with the rest of your post.

Noddy, no hard feelings. Smile Again, I'm not disagreeing with you what you just stated. I just think that the reaction is disproportionate. Most of the people calling for him to be ostracized and shunned are not saying anything about driving drunk. They want him shunned because of what he said. I find this stupid, for lack of a better word. They have the nerve to tell his friends that they have an obligation to shun him. Talk about arrogance!
0 Replies

Atavistic

Reply Thu 3 Aug, 2006 09:33 am
Lightwizard wrote:
Lest we forget, Wynona Ryder's arrest for shoplifting was a media blitz for months and it's convenient to forget the publicity surrounding Michael Jackson. I don't know if drugs or alcohol were involved in those fiascos, but Winona was in possession of drugs without any prescription and Michael had his "Jesus Juice." There's also a certain right-wing pundit who's had a lot of problems with drug abuse and now has other legal problems -- the media blitz on that is well known. Mel Gibson can't be singled out as a victim. He is not a victim. He is, quite plainly a drunk, a womanizer (what happened to his devotion to the fundamentalist Catholid beliefs there?), has become a prig (try to watch some of his interviews after "The Lashin' of the Christ" was released), a pompous ass, a bad actor (try to watch his moribund, dour, unfeeling performance in "Signs" or his pathetic self-examination and unfunny performance in "What Women Want.")

Apparantly some people selectively read and watch the news and immediately go into denial on anything they don't want to accept.

Did anyone tell Winona's friends that they should shun her?
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 3 Aug, 2006 10:05 am
Atavistic- I can really understand your feelings, considering that you too are battling alcoholism. But why are you so hell bent on giving Mel a "pass"?

The gentleman he doth protest too much! Evil or Very Mad
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 3 Aug, 2006 10:23 am
Winona lost quite a few friends in Hollywood, one a very close friend of mine. That's not the only strange thing she has done. If she is an alcoholic, it is closeted as she hasn't shown up at private parties in Tinsel Town drunk nor got drunk at the party. Better get off this ground before you dig too deep a hole and embarass yourself as I am personally involved (sometimes, unfortunately) with many people in Hollywood. Don't live there anymore and seldom visit but do communicate by phone and E mail.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 3 Aug, 2006 10:26 am
Phoenix32890 wrote:
Atavistic- I can really understand your feelings, considering that you too are battling alcoholism. But why are you so hell bent on giving Mel a "pass"?

The gentleman he doth protest too much! Evil or Very Mad

Maybe he'd like to fly out to Hollywood for an intervention and fulfill Step Twelve?

Maybe we should all prey (ooops, pray :wink: Very Happy ) for Mel even if we don't believe prayer works (recent medical, psycological studies belies that it actually does).
0 Replies

Atavistic

Reply Thu 3 Aug, 2006 10:47 am
Lightwizard, I don't appreciate your condescending tone. Who you know is irrelevant. If one of my friends did something stupid like this, I would not disown him just because some politically-correct activist says I should. I believe in a little thing called loyalty. I don't give a good damn if people are "offended."

Phoenix, who said anything about a pass? He should be prosecuted for his drunk-driving, but no more. If anyone personally has a problem with his comments, fine, they're welcome to act accordingly. But I have no intention of being coerced into writing the man off, just because he said some offensive things. He didn't do anything to me. What ever happened to freedom of speech?
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 3 Aug, 2006 10:53 am
Atavistic wrote:
Lightwizard, I don't appreciate your condescending tone. Who you know is irrelevant. If one of my friends did something stupid like this, I would not disown him just because some politically-correct activist says I should. I believe in a little thing called loyalty. I don't give a good damn if people are "offended."

Phoenix, who said anything about a pass? He should be prosecuted for his drunk-driving, but no more. If anyone personally has a problem with his comments, fine, they're welcome to act accordingly. But I have no intention of being coerced into writing the man off, just because he said some offensive things. He didn't do anything to me. What ever happened to freedom of speech?

That's too bad -- I didn't know Mel Gibson was your friend. Friends are those you know all the bad things about them but they are your friend anyway. Who's a "politically correct activist?" Haven't read one in any of this thread. I don't give a damn if anyone here thinks you are offensive even while you are on the defensive. Mel is plainly a hypocrite who made a commercial successful religious film for the church goers but got terrible reviews -- one reviewer referring to it as a snuff film.

If none of this matters to you, that's your bag. Your tone is patronizing, and condescending. Don't like your own medicine?
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 3 Aug, 2006 11:18 am
Atavistic wrote:

But I have no intention of being coerced into writing the man off, just because he said some offensive things. He didn't do anything to me. What ever happened to freedom of speech?

No one asked you to "write the man off". I really don't care what you do. The issue was that you seem overly invested in focusing on Mel's alcoholism, and discounting his obvious anti-Semitism.

As far as "freedom of speech" if I have to explain this concept to one more person on this site, I think that I am going to scream. "Freedom of speech" is part of the 1st Amendment to the Constitution of the United States. It has to do with forbidding CONGRESS to pass any laws forbidding freedom of speech. It has absolutely nothing to do with interactions amongst private citizens. As far a A2K is concerned, as long as the members adhere to the website's Terms of Service, it is OK with them.

Quote:
Article [I.]
Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.
0 Replies