Mel Gibson--In Vino Veritas?

Lash

Reply Mon 31 Jul, 2006 07:09 pm
Uh-oh. If he'd said Mormons, I'd have laughed.
0 Replies

Dizzy Delicious

Reply Mon 31 Jul, 2006 07:10 pm
Doesn't Mel Gibson have a RIGHT to be anti-Jew, if he wants to be?
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Mon 31 Jul, 2006 07:13 pm
Not when he claims he is not anti-Jew and that his film "The Mashin' of the Christ" was not meant to be anti-Semitic when it obviously is and it's why the Catholic church discourage passion plays over the past several decades. He's an arrogant hypocrit with nothing to really back it up. Passion wasn't a director's movie. It was a cinematographer's, film music composer and costumer's movie. The acting was just this side of ham and cheese.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Mon 31 Jul, 2006 07:13 pm
Yes.

But, because of the rights of (hopefully) lots of people who reject that type of sentiment, he may wish he hadn't exercised that right.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Mon 31 Jul, 2006 07:14 pm
And, as LW said, he's caught in a lie.
0 Replies

xingu

Reply Mon 31 Jul, 2006 07:16 pm
Lash wrote:
And, as LW said, he's caught in a lie.

Maybe he should become a politician.
0 Replies

Dizzy Delicious

Reply Mon 31 Jul, 2006 07:17 pm
Lie? But, how could he have lied, when he was drunk and totally unaware of what he was saying.

If sane( and sober ), would he have called the woman Cop, "Sugar Tits" as all the news stations are now reporting?
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Mon 31 Jul, 2006 07:18 pm
I guess if David Duke can win an election...
0 Replies

xingu

Reply Mon 31 Jul, 2006 07:20 pm
Quote:
Lie? But, how could he have lied, when he was drunk and totally unaware of what he was saying.

He had a 1.2 reading. Not exactly so drunk that he didn't know what he was saying. He was drunk enough that he let his guard down and spoke what he felt.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 31 Jul, 2006 07:21 pm
The man has the right to his predjudices, but we have an equal right to reject him and his movies.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Mon 31 Jul, 2006 07:23 pm
Oh, gawd, don't encourage him to run for office. We've already got groppin' Ahnold as the governator.

The other aspect of this is he is fearlessly stupid for driving that stretch of the PCH -- it's a speed and DUI trap. Maybe he wanted to get caught?
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Mon 31 Jul, 2006 07:30 pm
Quote:
Doesn't Mel Gibson have a RIGHT to be anti-Jew, if he wants to be?

Of course he has a right to be anti-Semetic. Of course he has the right of free speech and the right to express his views in public.

Of course, other people have a right to object to anti-Semitism and vulgar sexism and drunken driving and boasting of connections that put him above the CA motor vehicle code.

He has a right to say anything he wants to say, but if he's caught distorting reality and playing the public for damn fools.....

No one poured the drink down his throat. No one pushed him behind the wheel of the car. No one twisted his arm to inspire him to drunken blathering.

He did it all himself--as is his right.

Sow the wind and you reap the whirlwind. This is a fertile time for tornados and hurricanes.
0 Replies

xingu

Reply Mon 31 Jul, 2006 07:32 pm
Can you imagine what his next confession will sound like.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 31 Jul, 2006 07:34 pm
The lie - or hypocratic behavior - wasn't what he said while drunk; it was what he apparently said on some other occasion while sober, re not being antisemitic, and/or his film not being so. I don't know what he said in that regard, not having closely followed the matter.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 31 Jul, 2006 07:35 pm
Very Happy Good one, xingu.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Mon 31 Jul, 2006 07:36 pm
Quote:
Can you imagine what his next confession will sound like.

\
I shouldn't have said what I said. Now, what can I do for damage control?

I'm not a Christian, but I've known many good Christians. Living up to one's principles isn't easy--and blaming the bottle is an easy copout.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 31 Jul, 2006 07:36 pm
Hypocratic, eek, I think I misused that word. I meant behavior containing hypocrisy.
0 Replies

xingu

Reply Mon 31 Jul, 2006 07:41 pm
Quote:
Living up to one's principles isn't easy--and blaming the bottle is an easy copout.

Actually I think the bottle made him more honest. It allowed him to express what he thought.
0 Replies

Dizzy Delicious

Reply Mon 31 Jul, 2006 07:43 pm
Noddy24 wrote:
Quote:
... blaming the bottle is an easy copout.

Should he have blamed those individuals who drove him to the bottle? Why do people become alcoholics?
0 Replies

Dizzy Delicious

Reply Mon 31 Jul, 2006 07:44 pm
xingu wrote:

Actually I think the bottle made him more honest. It allowed him to express what he thought.

He became unihibited and expressed himself to the cops of LA.
0 Replies