Mel Gibson--In Vino Veritas?

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 2 Aug, 2006 02:05 pm
atavistic wrote:
I don't know if Mel Gibson is an anti-semite or not, but I think this overwhelming condemnation of him is wrong.

If it walks like a duck..................................

When a person is drunk, his inhibitions and boundries become blurred.

I am really surprised. You think that a man going 87 in a 45 mile zone, calling a female officer "sugar tits", and spewing out anti-semitic epithets does not deserve condemnation?

Even if we disregard the anti-semitism (which I don't) that joker put a lot pf people in serious harm's way. I think that that he got off easy. Just think if a loved one of yours, (or you even) were ambling down that street.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 2 Aug, 2006 02:07 pm
Atavistic--

Welcome to A2K.

As for Mr. Gibson, he has sown the wind and will reap the whirlwind.

Greenwitch--

I'd love to be invited to your Passover celebrations--particularly if certain celebrities are unable to attend.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Wed 2 Aug, 2006 03:10 pm
Atavistic wrote:
PS- If "The Passion of the Christ" was anti-semitic, then so is the Bible.

Well...
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Wed 2 Aug, 2006 03:17 pm
For general clarification, for my part--- I don't claim the Passion was anti-Semitic, as I haven't seen it.

I just claim when people were saying he was anti-Semitic--during the filming--and he said he wasn't--that was a lie.
0 Replies

Atavistic

Reply Wed 2 Aug, 2006 05:25 pm
Noddy, thanks for the welcome. Very Happy

Phoenix, what you say about his driving drunk is true. However, how many dozens of celebrities have been arrested for that or similar offenses? None of them have ignited the sh!tstorm that this has. Nobody talked about ostracizing them from hollywood or boycotting their movies, etc. The uproar is purely over his comments. Like I said, I don't approve of what he said, but I think the reaction is way overblown. He is only human. It is possible you know, for someone to have certain ingrained prejudices, but at the same time, be conscious of them and work to overcome them. People can change you know. I don't see the need to crucify the guy(pun definitely intended)!
0 Replies

Atavistic

Reply Wed 2 Aug, 2006 05:26 pm
nimh wrote:
Atavistic wrote:
PS- If "The Passion of the Christ" was anti-semitic, then so is the Bible.

Well...

Those damn Jews! They sure know how to write anti-semitic literature.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Wed 2 Aug, 2006 07:04 pm
Wrong, Nick Nolte's drunk driving was just as big a "schit storm" as well as Halle Berry's hit-and-run where she likely had had something to drink (we will never know how much), and drove from the scene. Many actors who have raised such a public response have lived them down. It's happened far less than one would expect but there lies the preferential treatment aspect.

No, those who edited and basically rewrote the Bible, primarilly the Catholics, have brought out the guilt of the Jews in the Crucifixion of Christ. They've tried to gloss this over by discouraging Passion Plays. Mel doesn't like the modern Catholic church.
0 Replies

flushd

Reply Wed 2 Aug, 2006 07:57 pm
Oh, so he is a drunk! I always knew he was crazy, but didn't know he is an alcoholic.

I hope justice is served, and Gibson receives full punishment. Going to the treatment program - who cares? - I want blood! Smile Well, not blood, but justice. Anyone know what sort of penalties he will be facing?

I saw this coming back when crazy Mel was pretending to be Jesus in Braveheart. Ohh, such a martyr! Oh, such a hero! Laughing

I don't like the guy for so many reasons and don't really 'get' how he became so popular. You can just tell he isn't healthy in the head.

I for one encourage a collective shunning as far as financing/furthering Mr. Gibson's career goes.

In short, Gibson is a loser. Now it has been confirmed.
0 Replies

Atavistic

Reply Wed 2 Aug, 2006 08:35 pm
Lightwizard wrote:
Wrong, Nick Nolte's drunk driving was just as big a "schit storm" as well as Halle Berry's hit-and-run where she likely had had something to drink (we will never know how much), and drove from the scene. Many actors who have raised such a public response have lived them down. It's happened far less than one would expect but there lies the preferential treatment aspect.

No, those who edited and basically rewrote the Bible, primarilly the Catholics, have brought out the guilt of the Jews in the Crucifixion of Christ. They've tried to gloss this over by discouraging Passion Plays. Mel doesn't like the modern Catholic church.

Funny, I don't remember anyone calling for them to be shunned by their peers. This is the first time I'm hearing about an incident with Halle Berry, it must not have caused that much of a stir. For God's sake, half of hollywood is on drugs or has been to rehab.

I assume you have evidence that the Catholics altered the Bible to implicate the Jews.
0 Replies

Atavistic

Reply Wed 2 Aug, 2006 08:36 pm
flushd wrote:
Oh, so he is a drunk! I always knew he was crazy, but didn't know he is an alcoholic.

I hope justice is served, and Gibson receives full punishment. Going to the treatment program - who cares? - I want blood! Smile Well, not blood, but justice. Anyone know what sort of penalties he will be facing?

I saw this coming back when crazy Mel was pretending to be Jesus in Braveheart. Ohh, such a martyr! Oh, such a hero! Laughing

I don't like the guy for so many reasons and don't really 'get' how he became so popular. You can just tell he isn't healthy in the head.

I for one encourage a collective shunning as far as financing/furthering Mr. Gibson's career goes.

In short, Gibson is a loser. Now it has been confirmed.

How compassionate of you.
0 Replies

flushd

Reply Wed 2 Aug, 2006 08:40 pm
Laughing

Luckily, I have shed the Catholic guilt which surrounded me as a child, and I remain unaffected by condemnation on forums.

Why the defence for Mel, Atavistic? Is he a personal friend of yours? Or do you enjoy/admire his acting/directing abilities and want to see him succeed?

Just curious.
0 Replies

Atavistic

Reply Wed 2 Aug, 2006 08:54 pm
flushd wrote:
Laughing

Luckily, I have shed the Catholic guilt which surrounded me as a child, and I remain unaffected by condemnation on forums.

Why the defence for Mel, Atavistic? Is he a personal friend of yours? Or do you enjoy/admire his acting/directing abilities and want to see him succeed?

Just curious.

I feel empathy for him as a fellow human being. Especially as he seems to be afflicted with the same disease as me. I'm in no way saying that he shouldn't be held responsible for his actions, but I don't believe in writing people off because of their mistakes.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 2 Aug, 2006 09:47 pm
Atavistic--

First of all, I'm an agnostic.

Mel Gibson will have to deal with his version of God--as well as his public and the Hollywood power centers--for his drunken outburst.

If your sobriety or your immortal soul are helped by forgiving Mel Gibson, I am happy for you.

There but for the grace of God go I? Perhaps, but I don't drink and drive, I don't make sexist remarks, I don't malign any religion and I don't trade on my personal power to absolve me of my stupidity.

"Judge not that ye be not judged" sounds like a recipe to hand morality over to "experts". I have t wonder whether you just joined A2K because we're a highly intelligent and perceptive group of people or whether you are part of a paid claque to redeem Mel Gibson on the internet.

Have you been lurking for awhile--or are you working through a list of sites that you've been assigned?
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Wed 2 Aug, 2006 09:52 pm
I'm so glad you said that, Noddy. It is such an odd, methodical effort to sway thought from the ethnic slurs, and try to reframe on the alcoholism, he seems like a mercenary.

I thought the same thing.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 2 Aug, 2006 10:00 pm
Lash--

I appreciate the support. Everyone is crazy except me and thee...and I think thee art a bit strange at times.

Of course, paranoia is another animal--which some of us have domesticated.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Wed 2 Aug, 2006 10:13 pm
I art, but it is quite empowering to be strange occasionally.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Thu 3 Aug, 2006 03:27 am
Everybody seems to be focusing on his anti Semitic outburst, while ignoring what I believe is the more important issue. He drove drunk. Would anybody care what he said about Jews if he'd killed an innocent family?
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 3 Aug, 2006 04:55 am
I think that the rancor that Mel is eliciting from people is a combination of many things. There are many who despise the stance of his father, Hutton Gibson, who is an outspoken anti-Semite. When asked, Mel did not renounce his father's ideas. Then there is "the Passion", which disturbed many Christians as well as Jews as being anti-Semitic. On top of that, this drunken spewing of anti-Semitic remarks.

I do not believe that people, when drunk, utter things that they do not believe, deep inside of them.

Noddy, as usual, is very perceptive. It had never occurred to me that Atavistic could be either a part of a group who is attempting to dilute the effect of Mel's disgusting acts by focusing on the alcoholism, or doing the same thing on his own.

Now that you mention it, Noddy girl, what you say makes a lot of sense.
What say YOU, Atavistic?
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Thu 3 Aug, 2006 05:25 am
Alcohol lowers inhibitions. He was saying what he really feels.
0 Replies

firefly

Reply Thu 3 Aug, 2006 05:36 am
The three-count complaint filed against Mel Gibson by Los Angeles County prosecutors:

Count 1: Misdemeanor driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs. The count alleges Gibson was under the influence of an alcoholic beverage.

Count 2: Misdemeanor driving while having a 0.08 percent or higher blood-alcohol level.

Count 3: Possession of an open container of alcohol while driving in a motor vehicle on a highway.

All allegations are violations of the California Vehicle Code. Count 3 is an infraction rather than a misdemeanor.

They chose not to charge him with resisting arrest (although he clearly did resist by bolting and running from the police car), and they did not charge him with threatening a police officer because they weren't convinced he was "serious".

Of course, the average person would have been charged with both.

But why on earth didn't they also charge him with speeding, or reckless driving? He was going 87 miles an hour--under the influence of alcohol. Rolling Eyes

Granted, his previous DUI arrest was in Canada, but this police dept. had stopped him twice before on suspicion of DUI, but just let him go.

To top it off, the police drove him to the pound to get his car--something they do not generally do in such cases.

All things considered, why does he merit any special treatment at all? Do they feel sorry for the guy?

Comedian Joy Behar said on The View that Mel should be welcomed into the Jewish community with a public circumcision. Interesting idea. Laughing
0 Replies