Jesus Christ and Homosexuality.

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 19 Nov, 2006 06:28 pm
dyslexia wrote:
jesus is hot and available, (Mary told me)

I just might convert for some of that.
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Sun 19 Nov, 2006 09:43 pm
dyslexia wrote:
and Mr red my friends call me dys, you may call me dyslexia.

Your names don't bother me.
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Sun 19 Nov, 2006 09:53 pm
edgarblythe wrote:
dyslexia wrote:
jesus is hot and available, (Mary told me)

I just might convert for some of that.

Don't drag Jesus down into your own red light district... You are only unfairly judging his character when you don't really have any true justification to doubt his virtue.
0 Replies

echi

Reply Sun 19 Nov, 2006 10:36 pm
RexRed wrote:
echi wrote:
RexRed wrote:
echi wrote:
There is no reason to consider the existence of these different, separate elements. That's why you haven't been able to give a true definition for any of them.

Body = formed (from the dust of the ground.)
Soul = made (breath life "made a living soul".)
Spirit = created (in God's own image.)

Isaiah 43:7
Even every one that is called by my name: for I have created him for my glory, I have formed him; yea, I have made him.

1Th 5:23
And the very God of peace sanctify you wholly; and I pray God your whole spirit and soul and body be preserved blameless unto the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ.

How does this relate to my comment? You still have not presented any reason.

I have more reason than science has.

Science can only understand what is measurable and observable through the five senses.

This in itself defines the immeasurable.

Just because science does not know what makes a bunch of random chemicals in DNA "alive" does not mean that life as an element does not exist. Thusly spirit as a non element can also be plausible under the same logic.

There is no logical reason to conclude that "life", as an element, exists.
The same is true of "spirit".
0 Replies

Raul-7

Reply Sun 19 Nov, 2006 11:38 pm
Then what are poltergeists or ghosts?
0 Replies

echi

Reply Mon 20 Nov, 2006 12:27 am
Raul-7 wrote:

.......or leprechauns or vampires or angels or werewolves or witches or unicorns or fairies or demons or dragons or trolls or mermaids or banshees?
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Mon 20 Nov, 2006 02:12 am
echi wrote:
RexRed wrote:
echi wrote:
RexRed wrote:
echi wrote:
There is no reason to consider the existence of these different, separate elements. That's why you haven't been able to give a true definition for any of them.

Body = formed (from the dust of the ground.)
Soul = made (breath life "made a living soul".)
Spirit = created (in God's own image.)

Isaiah 43:7
Even every one that is called by my name: for I have created him for my glory, I have formed him; yea, I have made him.

1Th 5:23
And the very God of peace sanctify you wholly; and I pray God your whole spirit and soul and body be preserved blameless unto the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ.

How does this relate to my comment? You still have not presented any reason.

I have more reason than science has.

Science can only understand what is measurable and observable through the five senses.

This in itself defines the immeasurable.

Just because science does not know what makes a bunch of random chemicals in DNA "alive" does not mean that life as an element does not exist. Thusly spirit as a non element can also be plausible under the same logic.

"Energy" goes from the perceptible to the imperceptible, just as we are only able to perceive a small spectrum of the actual complete light spectrum with our own natural senses.

It is the spirit that reveals this hidden light and it is hope and life that guides the conscience to the spiritual realm of perception.
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Mon 20 Nov, 2006 02:30 am
Raul-7 wrote:

Poltergeists or (unholy) ghosts are illusions created by the devil.

ALL people are asleep in the grave who have died before us.

The only person who has been "raised from the dead" (biblically) is Jesus Christ. Anyone else who is supposed to be alive in heaven is a misinterpretation of the actual text. Mary the mother of Jesus is asleep in the grave Lazarus is asleep in the grave too, so is Enoch and Elijah.

All talk of people already in heaven (or paradise) is not Biblical.

There is the day of rewards and there is the day of judgment, neither of these days have come yet. Some will be rewarded and others will be judged but all will face one or the other of these days. Those rewarded will go to heaven and those judged will go to paradise.

As for the dead being alive now (with the only exception of Jesus Christ) they are not. The dead are not alive they are all sleeping. (this should be a comfort)

The Holy Bible refers to ghosts as "familiar spirits" because the devil was there and heard a person whisper words privately and secretly in the ear of a friend.

The devil is familiar with the voice and tone of the dead because the devil was alive when the dead were living here on the earth. The devil can summon the dust into an illusion if there is enough fear to create it.
0 Replies

echi

Reply Mon 20 Nov, 2006 11:16 am
RexRed wrote:
echi wrote:

"Energy" goes from the perceptible to the imperceptible, just as we are only able to perceive a small spectrum of the actual complete light spectrum with our own natural senses.

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/imgmod/em.gif

RexRed wrote:
It is the spirit that reveals this hidden light and it is hope and life that guides the conscience to the spiritual realm of perception.

I'm trying to follow along, Rex. Confused
I hope my directness is not perceived as hostility.

So, let's see...
"It is the spirit that reveals this hidden light..." I still don't understand what you mean by "spirit". I think it might help me if you replace "spirit" with a different word (or words), keeping the rest of the sentence as it is.
Reading over your short story Razz, a couple pages back, I get the impression that the "spirit" (holy spirit) is like some kind of realization that accompanies or directs one towards a fuller awareness or awakening.
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Mon 20 Nov, 2006 02:01 pm
echi wrote:
RexRed wrote:
echi wrote:

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/imgmod/em.gif

RexRed wrote:

I'm trying to follow along, Rex. Confused
I hope my directness is not perceived as hostility.

So, let's see...
"It is the spirit that reveals this hidden light..." I still don't understand what you mean by "spirit". I think it might help me if you replace "spirit" with a different word (or words), keeping the rest of the sentence as it is.
Reading over your short story Razz, a couple pages back, I get the impression that the "spirit" (holy spirit) is like some kind of realization that accompanies or directs one towards a fuller awareness or awakening.

I look forward to your questions... I can tell (God has told me) that you are meek to his word... Those who question the senses are those who find the spirit.

Think of the holy spirit as "power", power for abundant life. Power as in, energy within matter.

The holy spirit was erroneously translated as the holy "ghost".

The holy spirit is not a ghost but it is a new identity that God creates within a soul.

This energy allows the soul to migrate from the physical into the eternal

This spirit is a "gift" from God the giver. It cannot become corrupted and it is spiritual light that can travel through the cosmos within an instant.

It is the essence of light and perception. It is a form of light that reveals all other froms of light and intelligence. The spirit is potential energy, this energy has the potential to reveal the physical in a new light. As this potential energy becomes kinetic the power of the spirit is manifested.

The spirit is eternal and everlasting. It is an image of creation itself.

So erase the idea that the holy spirit is a "ghost". This is not only erroneous but it is misleading. The holy spirit is YOU, that is the real you.

It is Christ in you, because Christ bore the same spiritual "image" of God within that we do. God is Holy Spirit and he gives the image gift (holy spirit, small "h" small "s") as the giver of that which he is.

God is the creator and he gives creation to others. The spirit is the change that only the eye of God can perceive within.

The spirit is the senses of God within versus the limited senses of our flesh.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 20 Nov, 2006 02:10 pm
It's this thread dragging Jesus down. I'm not the one with the hots for him.
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Mon 20 Nov, 2006 02:22 pm
edgarblythe wrote:

Love and admiration does not have to always be sexual... Besides, true sexuality cannot exist outside of the spirit. UNCONDITIONAL LOVE cannot exist without the spirit. Without the spirit love becomes hypocrisy. For what is there to love within a person without the presence of God? In that case, love only becomes human ego.

God is the greatest lover. God is the "reason" for love.

"Agape" is the love of God, in the renewed mind and in manifestation.

For God so loved the world that he gave...
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 20 Nov, 2006 03:34 pm
Then why suggest he may have had homosexual encounters?
0 Replies

xingu

Reply Mon 20 Nov, 2006 03:53 pm
Found this in the news today.

Quote:
When religion loses its credibility By Oliver "Buzz" Thomas
Mon Nov 20, 6:40 AM ET

What if Christian leaders are wrong about homosexuality? I suppose, much as a newspaper maintains its credibility by setting the record straight, church leaders would need to do the same:

Correction: Despite what you might have read, heard or been taught throughout your churchgoing life, homosexuality is, in fact, determined at birth and is not to be condemned by God's followers.

Based on a few recent headlines, we won't be seeing that admission anytime soon. Last week, U.S. Roman Catholic bishops took the position that homosexual attractions are "disordered" and that gays should live closeted lives of chastity. At the same time, North Carolina's Baptist State Convention was preparing to investigate churches that are too gay-friendly. Even the more liberal Presbyterian Church (USA) had been planning to put a minister on trial for conducting a marriage ceremony for two women before the charges were dismissed on a technicality. All this brings me back to the question: What if we're wrong?

Religion's only real commodity, after all, is its moral authority. Lose that, and we lose our credibility. Lose credibility, and we might as well close up shop.

It's happened to Christianity before, most famously when we dug in our heels over Galileo's challenge to the biblical view that the Earth, rather than the sun, was at the center of our solar system. You know the story. Galileo was persecuted for what turned out to be incontrovertibly true. For many, especially in the scientific community, Christianity never recovered.

This time, Christianity is in danger of squandering its moral authority by continuing its pattern of discrimination against gays and lesbians in the face of mounting scientific evidence that sexual orientation has little or nothing to do with choice. To the contrary, whether sexual orientation arises as a result of the mother's hormones or the child's brain structure or DNA, it is almost certainly an accident of birth. The point is this: Without choice, there can be no moral culpability.

Answer in Scriptures
So, why are so many church leaders (not to mention Orthodox Jewish and Muslim leaders) persisting in their view that homosexuality is wrong despite a growing stream of scientific evidence that is likely to become a torrent in the coming years? The answer is found in Leviticus 18. "You shall not lie with a man as with a woman; it is an abomination."

As a former "the Bible says it, I believe it, that settles it" kind of guy, I am sympathetic with any Christian who accepts the Bible at face value. But here's the catch. Leviticus is filled with laws imposing the death penalty for everything from eating catfish to sassing your parents. If you accept one as the absolute, unequivocal word of God, you must accept them all.

For many of gay America's loudest critics, the results are unthinkable. First, no more football. At least not without gloves. Handling a pig skin is an abomination. Second, no more Saturday games even if you can get a new ball. Violating the Sabbath is a capital offense according to Leviticus. For the over-40 crowd, approaching the altar of God with a defect in your sight is taboo, but you'll have plenty of company because those menstruating or with disabilities are also barred.

The truth is that mainstream religion has moved beyond animal sacrifice, slavery and the host of primitive rituals described in Leviticus centuries ago. Selectively hanging onto these ancient proscriptions for gays and lesbians exclusively is unfair according to anybody's standard of ethics. We lawyers call it "selective enforcement," and in civil affairs it's illegal.

A better reading of Scripture starts with the book of Genesis and the grand pronouncement about the world God created and all those who dwelled in it. "And, the Lord saw that it was good." If God created us and if everything he created is good, how can a gay person be guilty of being anything more than what God created him or her to be?

Turning to the New Testament, the writings of the Apostle Paul at first lend credence to the notion that homosexuality is a sin, until you consider that Paul most likely is referring to the Roman practice of pederasty, a form of pedophilia common in the ancient world. Successful older men often took boys into their homes as concubines, lovers or sexual slaves. Today, such sexual exploitation of minors is no longer tolerated. The point is that the sort of long-term, committed, same-sex relationships that are being debated today are not addressed in the New Testament. It distorts the biblical witness to apply verses written in one historical context (i.e. sexual exploitation of children) to contemporary situations between two monogamous partners of the same sex. Sexual promiscuity is condemned by the Bible whether it's between gays or straights. Sexual fidelity is not.

What would Jesus do?
For those who have lingering doubts, dust off your Bibles and take a few hours to reacquaint yourself with the teachings of Jesus. You won't find a single reference to homosexuality. There are teachings on money, lust, revenge, divorce, fasting and a thousand other subjects, but there is nothing on homosexuality. Strange, don't you think, if being gay were such a moral threat?

On the other hand, Jesus spent a lot of time talking about how we should treat others. First, he made clear it is not our role to judge. It is God's. ("Judge not lest you be judged." Matthew 7:1) And, second, he commanded us to love other people as we love ourselves.

So, I ask you. Would you want to be discriminated against? Would you want to lose your job, housing or benefits because of something over which you had no control? Better yet, would you like it if society told you that you couldn't visit your lifelong partner in the hospital or file a claim on his behalf if he were murdered?

The suffering that gay and lesbian people have endured at the hands of religion is incalculable, but they can look expectantly to the future for vindication. Scientific facts, after all, are a stubborn thing. Even our religious beliefs must finally yield to them as the church in its battle with Galileo ultimately realized. But for religion, the future might be ominous. Watching the growing conflict between medical science and religion over homosexuality is like watching a train wreck from a distance. You can see it coming for miles and sense the inevitable conclusion, but you're powerless to stop it. The more church leaders dig in their heels, the worse it's likely to be.

Oliver "Buzz" Thomas is a Baptist minister and author of an upcoming book, 10 Things Your Minister Wants to Tell You (But Can't Because He Needs the Job).

http://blogs.usatoday.com/oped/2006/11/when_religion_l.html#more
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Mon 20 Nov, 2006 04:49 pm
First of all, many branches of Christianity do not separate soul from spirit but consider them synonyms.

Second, I firmly believe that the Christian doctrine of heaven and hell is a distortion of the earlier doctrine of re-incarnation.

Third, I do not believe that ghosts are the creation of the devil. Why give the devil that power? You seem to be out to scare yourself.
0 Replies

Raul-7

Reply Tue 21 Nov, 2006 01:39 am
There's no way Jesus (PBUH) accepted homosexuality or was even gay. God had already made a mockery of Prophet Loot's (PBUH) village who were all homosexual. I'm not sure if Christians ever heard of Loot, but here's the story of what took place.

The Historical Account of What Took Place-
It is a well-known fact that when this wretched disease spread among one nation in the past, Allah Ta'ala caused punishments to rain down from the skies upon them. Allah mentions their story in many places in the Qur'an. At one place, He says,

"And (We also sent) Loot (Lot - as a Messenger). 'Behold, he said to his people, do you do what is shameful even though you see (that it is wrong)? Would you really approach men in your lusts rather than women? Nay, you are a grossly ignorant people!'

But his people gave no other answer but this: They said, 'Drive out the followers of Loot from your city. These are indeed men who want to be clean and pure!'
But We saved him and His family except his wife: We destined her to be of those who lagged behind. And We rained down on them a shower (of stones). And evil was the shower on those who were admonished (but failed to heed)."
(Surah an-Naml, 54-58)

From this verse, we learn that these people had themselves admitted that the family of Loot (AS) who had Imaan (belief in Allah) was decent, chaste and morally pure. They also acknowledged that the family of Loot (AS) refrained from this filthy practice. They realized this since it is natural for every person to immediately recognize the pure way of life inspired by Allah Ta'ala when they see it and also to make out any type of unnatural and perverted behavior.

Imaam Al-Aajuri (radhia Allahu Anhu [RA] - Araic for "may Allah be pleased with him") has said, 'Allah Ta'ala has informed you about the despicable act of homosexuality committed by the people of Loot (AS) and how He punished them by first snatching away their eyesight. Jibraeel (Gabriel) (AS) was then instructed to uproot their cities with all the inhabitants until they were high up into the sky and then turn over their cities upon them. Thereafter they were pelted with stones of clay.' Such was their punishment that not a single citizen or traveler could save himself from the stones and from being completely destroyed.
0 Replies

Raul-7

Reply Tue 21 Nov, 2006 01:40 am
RexRed wrote:
edgarblythe wrote:

Love and admiration does not have to always be sexual... Besides, true sexuality cannot exist outside of the spirit. UNCONDITIONAL LOVE cannot exist without the spirit. Without the spirit love becomes hypocrisy. For what is there to love within a person without the presence of God? In that case, love only becomes human ego.

When you refer to God, do you mean Jesus (PBUH)?
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Tue 21 Nov, 2006 03:06 pm
edgarblythe wrote:
Then why suggest he may have had homosexual encounters?

I am not implying that Jesus Christ had homosexual "encounters" (as pertaining to his own sexuality). I am just saying that Jesus may not have been so intolerant of certain aspects of homosexuality.

Just as Jesus saw qualities in sinners that the people who claimed to be holy and lawful did not exhibit.

Considering that Jesus lived the life of a eunuch it only begs for the pages in the Bible that are "unwritten". It begs for the truth that is unspoken.
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Tue 21 Nov, 2006 04:29 pm
Raul-7 wrote:
RexRed wrote:
edgarblythe wrote:

When you refer to God, do you mean Jesus (PBUH)?

I believe that Jesus Christ [PBUH] is part of God's [PBUH] creation and God is ultimately the creator.

Jesus being part of God's creation is also being part of God and his will. God worked through Jesus. Jesus is not God but to us, he is like God because he is above us all in mind and soul. Jesus is subject to God, the lamb is subject to the master.

The Creator creates creation, the Spirit inspires spirituality. (rexred)

The spirit is the essence of God as the spirit is in Jesus, as the spirit is in us.

The spirit is God's perfect gift of eternal life. It is potentially a NEW body.

For the body of the flesh could be killed of Jesus but the NEW body of the spirit cannot be killed by the people.

Quran 4:157-158
"And because of their saying, 'We killed Messiah Jesus, son of Mary, the Messenger of God' - but they killed him not, nor crucified him, but the resemblance of Jesus was put over another man (and they killed that man), and those who differ therein are full of doubts. They have no knowledge, they follow nothing but conjecture. For surely they killed him not (Jesus, son of Mary). But God raised him (Jesus) up unto Himself. And God is ever All-Powerful, All-Wise".

Comment:
Jesus received a NEW body that was in the image of God (spirit). God is spirit and God gives that which he is. We shall one day have this "new body" also.

Jesus was in the image of God just was we are in the image of God, (because of the spiritual reality likewise within). Jesus gave of himself as God has given of himself.

God Created Adam in his image in the book of Genesis, does that make Adam God? No. It speaks of the spirit/image that God created "upon" Adam, this spirit was what died in Adam the day he and Eve "sinned", Yet, their mortal bodies died on a later date.

Christ Jesus (the "man" God raised him up unto Himself) is the first born of the spirit and he makes this spirit (lost by Adam) available (in an unconditional manner, seed) to the average person who simply, "believes"...

Peace with God
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Tue 21 Nov, 2006 09:23 pm
xingu wrote:
Found this in the news today.

Quote:
When religion loses its credibility By Oliver "Buzz" Thomas
Mon Nov 20, 6:40 AM ET

What if Christian leaders are wrong about homosexuality? I suppose, much as a newspaper maintains its credibility by setting the record straight, church leaders would need to do the same:

Correction: Despite what you might have read, heard or been taught throughout your churchgoing life, homosexuality is, in fact, determined at birth and is not to be condemned by God's followers.

Based on a few recent headlines, we won't be seeing that admission anytime soon. Last week, U.S. Roman Catholic bishops took the position that homosexual attractions are "disordered" and that gays should live closeted lives of chastity. At the same time, North Carolina's Baptist State Convention was preparing to investigate churches that are too gay-friendly. Even the more liberal Presbyterian Church (USA) had been planning to put a minister on trial for conducting a marriage ceremony for two women before the charges were dismissed on a technicality. All this brings me back to the question: What if we're wrong?

Religion's only real commodity, after all, is its moral authority. Lose that, and we lose our credibility. Lose credibility, and we might as well close up shop.

It's happened to Christianity before, most famously when we dug in our heels over Galileo's challenge to the biblical view that the Earth, rather than the sun, was at the center of our solar system. You know the story. Galileo was persecuted for what turned out to be incontrovertibly true. For many, especially in the scientific community, Christianity never recovered.

This time, Christianity is in danger of squandering its moral authority by continuing its pattern of discrimination against gays and lesbians in the face of mounting scientific evidence that sexual orientation has little or nothing to do with choice. To the contrary, whether sexual orientation arises as a result of the mother's hormones or the child's brain structure or DNA, it is almost certainly an accident of birth. The point is this: Without choice, there can be no moral culpability.

Answer in Scriptures
So, why are so many church leaders (not to mention Orthodox Jewish and Muslim leaders) persisting in their view that homosexuality is wrong despite a growing stream of scientific evidence that is likely to become a torrent in the coming years? The answer is found in Leviticus 18. "You shall not lie with a man as with a woman; it is an abomination."

As a former "the Bible says it, I believe it, that settles it" kind of guy, I am sympathetic with any Christian who accepts the Bible at face value. But here's the catch. Leviticus is filled with laws imposing the death penalty for everything from eating catfish to sassing your parents. If you accept one as the absolute, unequivocal word of God, you must accept them all.

For many of gay America's loudest critics, the results are unthinkable. First, no more football. At least not without gloves. Handling a pig skin is an abomination. Second, no more Saturday games even if you can get a new ball. Violating the Sabbath is a capital offense according to Leviticus. For the over-40 crowd, approaching the altar of God with a defect in your sight is taboo, but you'll have plenty of company because those menstruating or with disabilities are also barred.

The truth is that mainstream religion has moved beyond animal sacrifice, slavery and the host of primitive rituals described in Leviticus centuries ago. Selectively hanging onto these ancient proscriptions for gays and lesbians exclusively is unfair according to anybody's standard of ethics. We lawyers call it "selective enforcement," and in civil affairs it's illegal.

A better reading of Scripture starts with the book of Genesis and the grand pronouncement about the world God created and all those who dwelled in it. "And, the Lord saw that it was good." If God created us and if everything he created is good, how can a gay person be guilty of being anything more than what God created him or her to be?

Turning to the New Testament, the writings of the Apostle Paul at first lend credence to the notion that homosexuality is a sin, until you consider that Paul most likely is referring to the Roman practice of pederasty, a form of pedophilia common in the ancient world. Successful older men often took boys into their homes as concubines, lovers or sexual slaves. Today, such sexual exploitation of minors is no longer tolerated. The point is that the sort of long-term, committed, same-sex relationships that are being debated today are not addressed in the New Testament. It distorts the biblical witness to apply verses written in one historical context (i.e. sexual exploitation of children) to contemporary situations between two monogamous partners of the same sex. Sexual promiscuity is condemned by the Bible whether it's between gays or straights. Sexual fidelity is not.

What would Jesus do?
For those who have lingering doubts, dust off your Bibles and take a few hours to reacquaint yourself with the teachings of Jesus. You won't find a single reference to homosexuality. There are teachings on money, lust, revenge, divorce, fasting and a thousand other subjects, but there is nothing on homosexuality. Strange, don't you think, if being gay were such a moral threat?

On the other hand, Jesus spent a lot of time talking about how we should treat others. First, he made clear it is not our role to judge. It is God's. ("Judge not lest you be judged." Matthew 7:1) And, second, he commanded us to love other people as we love ourselves.

So, I ask you. Would you want to be discriminated against? Would you want to lose your job, housing or benefits because of something over which you had no control? Better yet, would you like it if society told you that you couldn't visit your lifelong partner in the hospital or file a claim on his behalf if he were murdered?

The suffering that gay and lesbian people have endured at the hands of religion is incalculable, but they can look expectantly to the future for vindication. Scientific facts, after all, are a stubborn thing. Even our religious beliefs must finally yield to them as the church in its battle with Galileo ultimately realized. But for religion, the future might be ominous. Watching the growing conflict between medical science and religion over homosexuality is like watching a train wreck from a distance. You can see it coming for miles and sense the inevitable conclusion, but you're powerless to stop it. The more church leaders dig in their heels, the worse it's likely to be.

Oliver "Buzz" Thomas is a Baptist minister and author of an upcoming book, 10 Things Your Minister Wants to Tell You (But Can't Because He Needs the Job).

http://blogs.usatoday.com/oped/2006/11/when_religion_l.html#more

I quoted your long article because it is a great one and worth re-reading. The author forget to mention how much credibility will be lost by the literalists when evolution is proven (that is beyond what it has already been proven).

Thanks Xingu for taking the time to enrich this thread with this opinion of reason.
0 Replies