Mama Taught Me Before I Was Born?

CodeBorg

Reply Fri 6 Jun, 2003 09:43 am
Be sure to eat a lot while talking to your unborn son...

"A mother-to-be carrying a male fetus eats significantly more than one carrying a female because the male fetus somehow sends out signals requiring more calories" [...]

Trichopoulos speculates the root cause is a survival-of-the-fittest thing, going back to prehistoric times.

"There were too many men competing for select women," he says. "Competition for those women was important in those days. Power depended on weight, so selection favored men who were bigger."

http://abcnews.go.com/sections/living/Healthology/HS_boysinwomb_030606.html
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sat 7 Jun, 2003 10:50 am
Hey, C.B. I noticed that very thing about eating on the news yesterday. Often women are said to have cravings for certain foods during pregnancy. I never equated it with male/female, however. Interesting observation, but I assumed it was the body's response to a depletion of some needed component. I have always thought that "survival of the fittest" had to do with the ability to survive within the evnironment in which a species finds itself.
0 Replies