Having Laser Eye Surgery Today to Close Eye Drainage Duct

Reply Fri 28 Jul, 2006 07:02 am
Yes, bizarre...but considering my condition, this seems to be the only long term way to control my dry ass eyes.

Todya is my right eye, my bad eye. They will put the collagen in my left one to seal it up for a few days and see if the surgery should be/can be performed on my left eye too.

I am a little nervous because well, they are putting a laser in my eye.

But the upside is: I get out of work early!

He he he...
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,486 • Replies: 19
No top replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 28 Jul, 2006 07:09 am
Bella Dea- I have had a couple of eye operations in the last few years, including one involving a laser. It is really amazing how medical science has come such a long way in the last few years, when it comes to working on the eye. To us lay people, it seems a bit bizarre, but to the opthalmologists, it is simply another day at work. They have gotten the procedures down to a science.

Soon, it will all be over, and you will be so much more comfortable.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 28 Jul, 2006 07:21 am
I was talking to a couple of co-workers earlier this week about laser eye surgery they've had in the last couple of years. Sounds that it's startlingly 'easy' and the results are great.

One guy told me that the only thing that bothered him was that they gave him a minor anaesthetic (for something sort of unrelated), and he couldn't tense up when he thought he should during the procedure.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Fri 28 Jul, 2006 07:26 am
Bella
Bella, there isn't a dry eye on A2K as we wait to hear about your successful recovery.

BBB Crying or Very sad
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Fri 28 Jul, 2006 07:40 am
good luck, BD...
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 28 Jul, 2006 07:48 am
Bella--

My Eye Doctor has been suggesting this operation for me. His wife had the procedure done last year and she's seen a dramatic improvement in her eye fatigue.

I think anticipation will be much worse than reality.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Fri 28 Jul, 2006 07:59 am
Don't worry Bella....it'll be over in two shakes of a boxers tail...

The waiting around for the doc to come in the room and the getting every all ready will take MUCH longer than the actual procedure.

The actual lasering part...WAY less than a minute I'm sure. You'll be just fine.

What time do you leave work?

Be sure to post tonight to let us know how things went.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Fri 28 Jul, 2006 08:03 am
Thanks guys....I know it will all be ok but it's a little freaky to think about. Lasering might be common for my Dr. but it's all new to me! Laughing

Noddy, I will let you know how it goes.

Chai, I leave around 2:20p. My appt is at 2:45p. So I should be starting my weekend around 4 today. Whoo hoo!
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Fri 28 Jul, 2006 08:09 am
Good luck.
My friend had laser eye surgery a few ays back, he says its a bit blurry but its looking good for the future.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Fri 28 Jul, 2006 08:13 am
MG, this isn't lasik, although I am hoping for that in the future.

This is where they close up my lower tear duct, to prevent so much natural tear from draining from my eye.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Fri 28 Jul, 2006 08:17 am
Sit back - relax - take a few deep breaths - enjoy the weekend
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Fri 28 Jul, 2006 09:36 am
curious bella....in the meantime, did they put temporary punctal plugs in to see if that relieved the dryness?

If they worked, the laser should be great.

They had put these temporary ones in my tear ducts that dissolve in a few weeks, in order to justify the diagnosis of dry eyes....or at least I thought that at first.

Wow, it really made a difference! This is when I was still wearing glasses, and I thought I was having difficulty reading for more than a half hour because my eyes were "tired"

Nuh uh....they were just dry....you're gonna feel good relief, that's for sure.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Fri 28 Jul, 2006 11:28 am
Yeah, I had the collagen in my right eye. They will do that in the left today after the laser in the right eye.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Mon 31 Jul, 2006 07:30 am
So that hurt.

I got a topical anasthetic but that was followed by a needle full of numbing stuff right in the corner of my eye. Shocked Yes, let me restate that: a needle full of numbing stuff right in the corner of my eye. It was comperable to a shot in the mouth. The numbing stuff before hand works just enough to make you think it won't hurt and then when they poke you, your eyes well up and you curse the gods in four different languages.

Then, the laser....which I didn't feel working at all due to the needle full of numbing stuff right in the corner of my eye...started. Blue, bright and uncomfortable because it was blinding me. It took all of 2 minutes and I was done. The doc said it would be a bit sore, feeling like a bruise for a while. Feeling pretty good cuz it was over, hoping I didn't have to have the other eye done. I left and of course felt nothing. Then.....3 hours later after the numbing wore off...YOOOWZER! A bruise? What kind of bruise? The kind that is caused by a swift whack to the shin with a 2x4, I guess. My eye was SO sore. Blinking hurt. And it felt like something was in it. Ugh. It's Monday now, and it's still sore. Not nearly as sore, but still sore.

What a pain in the ass.
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Mon 31 Jul, 2006 07:32 am
Be brave, itl all be worth it in the end.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Mon 31 Jul, 2006 07:38 am
oh gosh....I'm so sorry it hurt like that....I guess because they weren't working on the actual eye ball, but the area around it. Sad

I had a cyst removed from my scalp one, when the novacaine wore off....WOWZERS!

glad to hear it's getting better.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Mon 31 Jul, 2006 07:53 am
Just saw this thread, Bella. I'm glad it's over with for the most part. Hopefully the pain will be gone in another day or so. Do you notice any improvement in your symptoms?
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Mon 31 Jul, 2006 08:04 am
Did your doctor give you a timetable for your pain?

Did he prescribe painkillers?
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Mon 31 Jul, 2006 08:11 am
You'll be fine, honey. Just think onomatopoeia. <smile>
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Mon 31 Jul, 2006 08:43 am
Noddy24 wrote:
Did your doctor give you a timetable for your pain?

Did he prescribe painkillers?

Just Advil and if it didn't get better in a few days. It's better, just not normal.
0 Replies