Mastectomy: Amazonian Rite of Passage

Noddy24

Reply Thu 27 Jul, 2006 03:04 pm
Last Monday morning I had a routine mammogram. Last Monday afternoon my Oncologist's Office called. The Doctor wanted to see me for a little chat.

The mammogram showed what could be increased scar tissue--not terribly likely after eight years as a cancer survivor. It could be a reoccurrence of my cancerous tumor--which is not terribly likely more than five years after the operation.

Surgery is scheduled for Monday, August 7. The surgeon and I agreed to go back to the Bad Old Days of Breast Cancer. He'll do the biopsy and send the suspicious tissue to the pathology lab. If the tissue is benign, he'll stitch me up. If the tissue is cancerous, I'll have a mastectomy.

My oncologist recommends a mastectomy.

I'm very happy to be facing one surgery rather than two. I'm not particularly traumatized by the notion of a mastectomy--neither my feminine charm nor my self image are concentrated in my right breast.

Can anyone give me any practical advice on recovering from a mastectomy? The surgeon (male) recommends a sports bra. Has anyone tested this notion?

I've spent enough time with the local literature about breast cancer to know that the world is full of kind people who will help me cope with falsies. Is this a complicated project?

Any information would be helpful.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,671 • Replies: 23
No top replies

Bella Dea

Reply Thu 27 Jul, 2006 03:07 pm
I don't have advice but I do have well wishes and hopes for you.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 27 Jul, 2006 03:13 pm
Dunno, but you have my immediate empathy/agreement. Do you have Susan Love's book, I think it's called The Breast Book? I'd look it up there, but mine is packed. Will check the website.

In the meantime, maybe someone with more practical experience will pick up this thread...
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 27 Jul, 2006 03:15 pm
Here's the website, it might be handy anyway:
http://www.susanlovemd.com/
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Thu 27 Jul, 2006 03:17 pm
I can offer no advice either, but I'll be pulling for you.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 27 Jul, 2006 03:31 pm
I studied the SusanLove website for a while, no luck so far. Will fool around with google for a bit.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 27 Jul, 2006 03:33 pm
Best wishes, Noddy!
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Thu 27 Jul, 2006 03:44 pm
Noddy, both my sisters have had a mastectomy, but not radical. They are doing fine and it has been several years. Hey, not to worry, dear. You will be fine and there are special bras that will help after you heal. I say the lump will be benign.

Keep us updated, dear.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Thu 27 Jul, 2006 03:46 pm
Best wishes from me as well.

I don't have personal experience, but a close friend had a mastectomy followed immediately by reconstruction. The surgery was longer, but she only had a single recovery.

If you aren't considering reconstruction then I'll ask around to see if anyone has recovery stories to share.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Thu 27 Jul, 2006 03:47 pm
I am sorry, I cannot give any advice either - haven't crossed that
bridge, but I can give you a virtual hug and wish you all the best for
your surgery. I also keep my fingers crossed that the biopsy results
are benign.

((((((Good luck Noddy!)))))
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 27 Jul, 2006 04:00 pm
I found a couple of sites, among all the mastectomy bra supply sites. I searched under post mastectomy recovery sports bras on google. I left it off after the first couple of pages....

Well, the links might freak you out. I figure you are pro-knowing, so you can deal with matters, but this may be too early for all this info, since you may have a benign situation.

Other folks here may have some good all-around bc support sites. I have one friend you may know, an abuzzer, who was extremely happy with the support and continuously useful information she got from one particular site, which I don't have a record of. Well, I do, but of course it's on my old computer, not yet transferred. I'll email her and get the link.

You might not want to see these until after a brisk walk, or somesuch, since I'm sure these sort of links bring the whole thing back, emotionally.
http://www.lehuanet.com/fighters/mmastect.htm
http://community.breastcancer.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=360691&Main=359956

[love, osso]
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 27 Jul, 2006 04:42 pm
Bella, Chai, Dlowan, Letty, J_B, Clamity Jane--

Thanks all, for the kind words and good wishes. Sometimes life is just one damn thing after another and knowing that other people care is a great comfort.

Osso--

Your web sites are wonderful--especially the Personal Testimony sections.
I have a fondness for stacking my troubles up against other people's and seeing how well off I am.

Isn't Susan Love a joy and a comfort? I passed my copy (3rd Edition) on to a friend who lent it to a friend.... I didn't make a fuss, because after eight years as a survivor, I relaxed about breast cancer so I could concentrate on other matters (both more and less pleasant other matters).

Many thanks.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 27 Jul, 2006 04:51 pm
Yeah, she's from my school. (I went to college there, worked there in one field, went to college there again, worked there in another field. I still like the place, generally). She was the key bc surgeon person at UCLA for quite a while. Or maybe just the noisiest, what do I know. Anyway, I appreciate her. She's had a major influence on the direction of dealing with bc. My bc surgeon is among the Luminari mentioned on her site. I can't quite figure out what that's all about, but never mind.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 27 Jul, 2006 04:57 pm
"Luminari" gives me a mental picture of all sorts of intensively radioactive cells glowing in the dark as microscopic beacons.....

I think their information is better than my imagery.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Fri 28 Jul, 2006 05:54 am
Here's another site on mastectomy and recovery: http://www.debakeydepartmentofsurgery.org/home/content.cfm?proc_name=mastectomy&content_id=274

Pulling for you from here, too.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 29 Jul, 2006 10:22 am
Yesterday I finished the Pre-op (physical and financial) ritual at the hospital. Believe me, I know I'm lucky to be fully covered by Medicare/Medigap insurance.

I'm hoping for a peaceful weekend and since I have to wait a week for the surgery a peaceful week. I don't do waiting particularly well.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 29 Jul, 2006 10:24 am
I hope the same for you too, Noddy.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Sat 29 Jul, 2006 10:37 am
Hug from me as well, Noddy. We'll do our best to distract you while you're waiting, and then while you're healing. Hoping for the best possible scenario.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 29 Jul, 2006 11:41 am
Osso--

I've started combing those breast cancer sites you posted. I've found some useful tidbits like wearing elastic waistbands for a few days/weeks.
Frankly, shopping for a Post Surgery Wardrobe will not be a cheerful diversion. I loathe shopping for clothing.

Dag--

Thanks for the practical approach and the promise of cheer. In these parts, other people are used to being the Designated Invalids and they aren't particularly talented about playing supporting roles.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sat 29 Jul, 2006 11:47 am
How is Mr Noddy doing with this news, Noddy? Are you able to get some extra help around the house?
0 Replies