can't remember names

dov1953

Reply Tue 27 May, 2003 10:11 am
Confused Seriously folks, I would like to know why I can't remember names of people, streets, chemicals (drugs), thespians or movie titles.. I can tell you the most obscure, remote, trivial things, yet I can't remember those things I might have a use for. I've always been this way so it's not a matter of aging. I know there is an answer for my question, but it might not have been formulated by scientific discovery yet. If you want to know the Kings of England since Richard III I'm your man.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,885 • Replies: 18
No top replies

jespah

Reply Tue 27 May, 2003 10:15 am
Helfino, but it might have to do with memorizing things that interest you versus things that you need but don't interest you.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Tue 27 May, 2003 10:17 am
That's interesting, dov, because I have the exact same trouble. I've always put it down to heredity, because my father is the same way. I am terrible with names, but never forget a face. I can recall intimate details of movies, but often forget the titles, and the actors....I am also looking forward to more posts here.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Tue 27 May, 2003 10:18 am
jespah has a point there...
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 27 May, 2003 01:05 pm
Dov, Cav--

Count me among the afflicted. I have a great deal of trouble remembering proper nouns (and the year when something happened to me!).

Years ago I read there was a name for this condition--but of course, the name was a proper noun, and is gone with the wind and the snows of yesteryear.
0 Replies

steissd

Reply Tue 27 May, 2003 01:08 pm
I have the similar problem, and this has nothing to do with age. I remember dates, events, faces, foreign words, phone numbers, etc. but the names are an obstacle for me. When I have to visit my boss in his office, I make an effort to recall what have I to say after "Mr."...
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Tue 27 May, 2003 01:23 pm
Man, I always forget the names of the women tied up in my basement, too. Gets frustrating, to say the least.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Tue 27 May, 2003 01:36 pm
That's okay, when Slappy drinks, he sometimes forgets he's straight.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Tue 27 May, 2003 03:13 pm
Awww, man. Who told you about that night?

I mean, what the hell you talkin' about?
I dig FOOTBALL!
And CHICKS!
And TRUCKS!

STMARYSHIGHSCHOOLFOOTBALLRULES!
0 Replies

Equus

Reply Tue 27 May, 2003 03:22 pm
I once forgot the name of the woman I had been dating for four months. I met some other friends at a sporting event and I couldn't introduce her.

It was somewhat embarrassing. She is no longer my girlfriend.

I have trouble remembering my boss' name, my neighbors' names, etc., but I can tell you trivial facts ad nauseum.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Tue 27 May, 2003 03:53 pm
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Tue 27 May, 2003 04:07 pm
Equus, Equus...it's easy to introduce someone you forget the name of. Happens to me alot too. This is all you've gotta do:

Let's say there's a woman next to you whom you forget her name. Jim walks up and says hi to both of you. All you do, is say, "This is Jim."
Your friend will say "Hi, I'm Sara" to Jim.

That way, you don't look like a jerk, and you'll hear her name.
0 Replies

Flatted 5th

Reply Tue 27 May, 2003 09:06 pm
Re: can't remember names
I'm really bad on names and can't for the life of me remember the names of the women in Slappy's basement either.

There are times in social situations where I've just been introduced to some one and 10 minutes later can't remember their name..... Embarrassed
dov1953 wrote:
I can tell you the most obscure, remote, trivial things, yet I can't remember those things I might have a use for.
It could be a left brain- right brain thing. Because I can play alot of music by memory without even thinking about it.
0 Replies

dov1953

Reply Fri 30 May, 2003 12:54 am
I was the one that started this post. When I was two I was in a very serious car accident and the right side of my head got all screwy. That might be part of the problem. As for the problem, what was it that I wanted to know when I started this thread? Embarrassed
0 Replies

Flatted 5th

Reply Fri 30 May, 2003 09:41 am
Laughing
0 Replies

dov1953

Reply Fri 30 May, 2003 10:00 am
:wink: I will always remember a line from that old Marlo Thomas Show that was on TV about 500 years ago. Marlo's father used to say, "don't think about polar bears". Of course you can't stop yourself from thinking about them. I extended that thought a bit by thinking that if you saw a bear down by the cric', you might forget, but if you saw a bear in pajamas down by the cric' then you'd never forget. The things I can't remember are the things that don't stand out for a specific reason in my mind. The names of prescriptions for example, in my mind, are all long, a very similar type of a combination of letters, they don't stand out the in the bear type of reference. For example Clonapen and Clonazepam and Hydrocodone. To me they're the same word. As for that list of the names of Kings, I can remember because I love history and because they are all distinct characters. I can easily remember who was the father and the son and the cousin and the daughter. I even remember the dates of their lives even though they are only 10 variations of numbers.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Fri 30 May, 2003 10:51 am
dov1953 wrote:
I was the one that started this post. When I was two I was in a very serious car accident and the right side of my head got all screwy. That might be part of the problem. As for the problem, what was it that I wanted to know when I started this thread? Embarrassed

yes this happens I forget what it is called - did you seek medical care?
0 Replies

Flatted 5th

Reply Fri 30 May, 2003 11:29 am
dov1953 wrote:
The things I can't remember are the things that don't stand out for a specific reason in my mind.

As for that list of the names of Kings, I can remember because I love history and because they are all distinct characters. I can easily remember who was the father and the son and the cousin and the daughter. I even remember the dates of their lives even though they are only 10 variations of numbers.

Yes dov, I think a real interest in a subject, moves the memory to the front of the brain. Which lead to repitition-rote- keeps the memory fresh. Although if I don't stay with it the memories will fade like books and movies that I love while reading/watching, become distant memories after awhile. I'm always in awe of someone who can quote lines from books or movies years after reading/watching.
0 Replies

gfonthego

Reply Mon 15 Dec, 2008 10:21 am
let's face it, in todays world we spend more time talking AT people then with them. Until we see others as important we will never be interested in remembering there names. So you may want to care more and listen instead of talk. This may also help others remember your name. If that matters much to you.
0 Replies