Deal Breakers, or, Why They Had a One Night Stand

material girl

Reply Fri 28 Jul, 2006 09:29 am
plainoldme wrote:
material girl wrote:
If a few days afterwards your friends are telling you what you got up to the other night.
He clearly was only doing it to entertain his friends.

Ouch! That had to hurt.

Sadly thats how I work out who to get together with.
I have to think 'does this guy know certain people that I know and if he does will he tell them?'

Oh, smoking is a definate, and drug taking.
Guys my age should be over that phase by now.

Plus, I know i watch TV but I need someone that is a bit adventurous, so if he is a layabout like me then its a no-no.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Fri 28 Jul, 2006 09:47 am
mg - have you ever seen "The Girl Most Likely To" with Stockard Channing?

Your first comment kind of reminded me of that movie.

BTW, I just noticed...why don't you have an avatar girl?
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Fri 28 Jul, 2006 09:51 am
Dont know a thing about computers!!!
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Fri 28 Jul, 2006 09:52 am
Sure you do! You're here, ain't cha?

So, are you familiar with that movie?
0 Replies

kitchenpete

Reply Fri 28 Jul, 2006 10:30 am
plainoldme wrote:
kitchenpete -- I sounds like she wasn't very bright. We had a college friend of my daughter's room with us for a few months while she got settled in Boston and she told me a similiar story of someone who put water and tea bag and a metal spoon in a cup then microwaved the whole thing. When the girl mentioned -- with alarm -- the blue sparks flying inside the microwave, he just said, "It always does that."

I wish I could say that is true - she had an MBA and a decent job but very little common sense about "life management". For example, one time I visited her there was a bank statement lying in the middle of the hallway - I'm not anally house-proud but I do tend to find space in the corner of the room for a small pile of the paperwork I haven't yet "processed"!

That microwave story is a classic!
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Fri 28 Jul, 2006 11:24 am
Luckily you didn't turn gay on us, Kitchenpete Wink

And chai, you're avatar just cracks me up. Too funny Laughing
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Fri 28 Jul, 2006 12:10 pm
Thanks cj...I think I finally found one that captures the essence of "me"

here's the whole picture, I wish I could have used the whole thing...

http://www.kate-kelton.com/images/boots-pram.jpg
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Fri 28 Jul, 2006 06:07 pm
Sometimes it's about time and timing and the subtle differences between those two.

An ex-girlfriend called me, this was years and years ago, and asked if I would like to doubledate with she and her new boyfriend. She had a date for me, a woman I shall call Y. You will see why. The ex and I had er, dated when she was still semi-sporadically, technically, married and her new boyfriend was, of course, her ex-brother-in-law. I think we were both mowing her lawn that summer before her divorce was final. Anyway, I needed for some Bruce Springsteen Lyrics to come true in my life, so despite the certain sense of weirdness, I said yes.

Y and I arrived at the appointed restaurant parking at about the same time, that was a good sign, I thought, and she matched the description that the ex had given me. Also good, but she should have added "constantly on the edge of bursting into tears at any given moment." We shook hands in the doorway and as we were just completing the 'nice to meetchas' the greeter told us there was a message for me and handed me a folded note.

It said "Can't come tonight, go rabbit."

I am not going to explain what the ex meant by that, but think Energizer Bunny.

We sat down. We looked at the menus. I started asking questions.

Had she ever been here before?
No, but once she and Eddie, her ex, had gone to the one just down the street.
See anything she liked on the menu?
Yes, and Oh, they have duck!
You like duck?
She'd never had it before, but Eddie had often ordered it.

You begin to see the pattern.

There was no question a person could ask without Eddie popping up in the middle of the answer.

Was her family from around here?
No. Eddie's was.
Did her car get good mileage?
Not as good as... .

What did she think were the possibilities of Middle East Peace?
Or how about those Oklahoma Sooners??
or did she think it was going to rain anytime soon??

Every answer began without a hint of Eddie, but sooner or later, in some way, small or large, he would appear.

She didn't start crying until the duck she ordered arrived.
Then she started to explain that she didn't really know why she was there or why Eddie and she weren't together and why these things happen to people who are just trying to live their lives. You know?

You know? was the first question she had asked me.

I was so startled I forgot to nod, so she asked me again.

and so the dinner continued for about another hour and a half.

===
She made me follow her to her new house, Eddie still lived in the old one, and she wasn't too sure how safe the neighborhood was. Sure.

It was the kind of neighborhood where nobody had locked a lock in years.

She invited me in.

What can I say? It was the wrong time and the timing was way ahead of her, but I didn't want to disappoint Bruce and the boys. Did I?

We had a little fire,
and some fireworks too,
the boss banging out the verses
and the rabbit fur flew.

She cried and cried,
but she never said a word about Eddie.

Joe(not once)Nation
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Fri 28 Jul, 2006 07:08 pm
read this over 3 times joe...still can't figure out why you called her "Y"

not making the connection with the springstein lyrics either.

sorry. Confused
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Fri 28 Jul, 2006 07:25 pm
It is a little sloppy, the writing, isn't it?

Quote:
She didn't start crying until the duck she ordered arrived.
Then she started to explain that she didn't really know why she was there or why Eddie and she weren't together and why these things happen to people who are just trying to live their lives. You know?

Y or WHY as in WHY ME? It was the backbeat of every utterance.

and my ex was X, well, nevermind.

As for Springsteen...

I wanna change my clothes, my hair, my face
Man I ain't getting nowhere
I'm just living in a dump like this
There's something happening somewhere
baby I just know that there is

You can't start a fire
you can't start a fire without a spark
This gun's for hire
even if we're just dancing in the dark

I was looking for something to change, something. and I did enjoy being a gun for hire even if that's just a little fantasy in my head.

joe(explanations given anytime)nation
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Sat 29 Jul, 2006 06:09 am
Joe Nation wrote:
It is a little sloppy, the writing, isn't it?

where you inebriated when you wrote it?

getting all sloppy in your chowder?

really though, I know what you mean, chicks tend to do this, annoyingly. "ohhhh.....karl used to pick his nose JUST like that....(sigh)"
0 Replies

flushd

Reply Sat 29 Jul, 2006 06:46 am
Joe, you nailed her? Shocked Laughing

That's funny.

Dealbreakers. One for me is: Sarcasm! Sarcasm that drips and doesn't stop, where the guy is looking at you "you aren't laughing? oh. You must be a moron and not get it because I am the ****."

I once got 'arranged' with this man. Was invited to a house party of some good friends. The home was my good friend R and her bf. Other couples showed. I was single at the time - thought this was just going to be a casual get-together to have some fun and bullshit, y'know? Well, R and her bf had decided to hook me up with a friend they knew. The Guy came knowing I was going to be there. I was left in the dark.

So, he shows up. I see him being greeted, him looking at me. He turns to R's bf and smiles, nods.

That's when I figured out their evil plan. I wanted to kill them, but laughed it off instead. He was hot.
We were introduced.

He was an ok guy, but the entire night consisted of him trying to get too close to me and making sarcastic remarks about everything - with this sneer at the world. If I didn't laugh - he would say "what? do you want me to explain it to you?"

UGhh!!

The only thing that saved me that night was he was a pothead and provided me with plenty of free weed. Laughing
0 Replies

xguymontagx

Reply Sat 29 Jul, 2006 06:58 am
yo joe. That wasn't sloppy writing at all, I enjoyed it actually. I liked the X and Y thing and the bruce springsteen reference reminded me of that movie High Fidelity.

So lying itself isn't really the deal breaker is it? It must matter how much and often the person lies. cause otherwise you would only be able to date Jesus. How much lying breaks the deal? Understand I'm just making conversation Smile

Deal Breakers for me: Smoking, closemindedness and weakness. being able to hold their end of a conversation is nice, however a very positve and fun personality can make up for this.
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Sat 29 Jul, 2006 07:03 am
Deal Breakers;

Republicans
Materialism
Judgmental
Low sex drive
Lazy
Too much T.V.
Thinking you are better or smarter then everybody
Low sex drive
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Sat 29 Jul, 2006 08:01 am
oh flushd, you made me remember a time when someone tried to fix me up, only I knew about it.

It all started when a girlfriend of mine, her roommate, and me were hanging out...they were talking about other friends, and gf said to rm, "Hey, don't you think Chai would really hit it off with "dave"? RM thought and said, "Yeah I think maybe she would"

Well, my gf started telling me all about him, and said maybe she'd have a small dinner party. I was single at the time and ok with that I thought "well, gf has known me for years, this might be good"

Anyway, in a few weeks she arranged a dinner, us 3 chicks and 3 guys. Not too formal or anything.

I had been hanging around her place all that afternoon anyway, and around the time the guest were supposed to arrive, I said I had to go get something from my car.

She lived in an large apartment complex, so there were always people coming and going.

Anyway, on the way to my car, I passed a guy in the parking lot. I did the "smile politely at a stranger and say hi" thing, but only got a sour glance in return. One of those "I'm preoccupied and can be bothered to say a simple 'hi'" looks.

Uh oh.....I was sure that was "dave".....and guess what, yeppers....

OK, I'll admit it flushd, my humor runs toward sarcasm, but not the hurtful kind (unless someone is truly ACTING stupid, and knows it), especially when I'm with friends...I guess it's more ironic.

HE was down right MEAN in his humor. Here's the difference, I might make fun of something, but at the same time I make fun of myself too...I'm part of the ridiculousness of it all....HE just made fun to make himself look better.

Anyway, later on I remember asking my gf "What did think we had in common?" Turns out she just though because I had just broken up with someone, I needed to get back in the saddle Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

flushd

Reply Sat 29 Jul, 2006 08:25 am
lol. Chai, friends thinking we need to get 'back in the saddle' usually ends up with bad dates, eh? Their hearts may be in a good place, but it was annoying.

Yup, thanks for clarifying the difference between 'sarcastic but nice' and the type of sarcasm I was referring to - hater sarcasm (or condescending). Very Happy
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Sun 30 Jul, 2006 02:07 am
Chai Tea wrote:

HE was down right MEAN in his humor. Here's the difference, I might make fun of something, but at the same time I make fun of myself too...I'm part of the ridiculousness of it all....HE just made fun to make himself look better. Rolling Eyes

I can't stand people like this. I think it is called a "Superiority complex" often triggered by a "inferiority complex".

-----------------------------------------------------------------

superiority complex

NOUN: 1. An exaggerated feeling of being superior to others. 2. A psychological defense mechanism in which feelings of superiority counter or conceal feelings of inferiority.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Sun 30 Jul, 2006 11:28 am
Quote:
Joe, you nailed her? Shocked Laughing

That's funny.

Well, I felt it was my duty. Later I learned from my ex-gf that Eddie was an abusive jerk and that Y had gone back to his neighborhood to live near him. Um.

===
I'm glad I don't have to date anymore. The highs and lows are too all consuming, and everywhere I look I see people on dates, they are talking when a cellphone rings, is answered, and one person is left to staring out the window.

I saw one woman answer her phone four times in ten minutes. By the third call I would be long gone.

j
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sun 30 Jul, 2006 11:38 am
Joe Nation wrote:

I'm glad I don't have to date anymore. The highs and lows are too all consuming, and everywhere I look I see people on dates, they are talking when a cellphone rings, is answered, and one person is left to staring out the window.

I saw one woman answer her phone four times in ten minutes. By the third call I would be long gone.

I couldn't agree more on that. What I don't understand is that they take
this ill mannered behavior of their dates. The first time I would probably
give him the benefit of doubt, he might have forgotten to shut off the
phone, but if it happened again, I most definitely would object to it - and
then leave. No point in sticking around but he might have learnt
something along the lines.
0 Replies

Treya

Reply Sun 30 Jul, 2006 01:21 pm
Well, I hope I'm not intruding here, but I do have a somewhat humorous story to share. It is not my own, but it happened yesterday and I thought it was funny. I work two jobs now and my second job is in a boating store. I know absolutely nothing about boats beyond the fact that they float, so I just run the register. LOL Anyway, I got a call yesterday from some guy who sounded panicked and was asking me how to unclog something. I was like... "Umm yeah, hold on I'll get one of the other guys for you." and I handed the phone to one of my co-workers. As soon as he hung up the phone he came charging at me saying, "Oh my god I can't believe you gave ME that phone call!" (He's a sensitive and sweet guy who gets embarrassed easily) I was like, "What? What? I didn't do anything... I couldn't even figure out what he was trying to unclog!"

Then he went on to tell me the reason this guy was so dismayed was that he had taken some other girl to his boat and flushed the condom down the toilet and clogged it all up. So he was freaking out trying to figure out how to get the condom out of there before his wife found it. Granted I don't find any humor in the fact that he was cheating on his wife, but I did think it was quite funny that he had put himself in such a predicament that he would need to call up a boating store and share this little blooper with people he didn't even know, and it embarrassed the crap out of this particular person I had given the call too. If I had realized what this guy was talking about I definitely wouldn't have given the call to this co-worker. Though he wasn't really mad about it. Just embarrassed, and he laughed right along with me. Razz

I would say that THE deal breaker for me is someone who can't take responsibility for their actions. That alone says multitudes about a persons character. Well... to me it does anyway.
0 Replies