Nouns, pronouns, verbs, adverbs etc

Wilso

Reply Wed 26 Jul, 2006 03:30 am
Can someone give me some definitions of various English terms. I know some of them, but I'd like someone who knows to give some simple explanations.
Noun, pronoun, verb, adverb, adjective, conjugation, article, any others you can think of.
Cheers
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,377 • Replies: 14
No top replies

material girl

Reply Wed 26 Jul, 2006 03:32 am
Noun is a naming word -horse,car
Verb is a doing word-running, jumping
Adjective is a describing word-blue fast.

Thats all I learned in English classes at school.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Wed 26 Jul, 2006 04:19 am
material girl wrote:

Thats all I learned in English classes at school.

Me too. Now that I'm attempting to learn another language, I'm finding I need to know more about English.
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Wed 26 Jul, 2006 04:35 am
haha, I know what you mean.I tried to teach myself japanese a few years back.They were going on about sentence structure.In english it goes noun verb adjective, in Japanese it goes noun adjective verb, and I thought 'WHAT!'
I just picked up the english language(seeing as I am english).
Nobody taught me about sentance structure or adverbs, conjugation etc!!
0 Replies

flyboy804

Reply Wed 26 Jul, 2006 05:41 am
Material Girl's listing "running" and "jumping" shows the difficulty of learning languages. Those are not verbs but are verbals, verb forms used as another part of speech. The verbs would be "run" or "jump". "Running" and "jumping" can be gerunds (nouns from verbs) or participles (adjectives from verbs). Running is my favorite exercise. Running is the subject of the sentence. I watched the jumping dogs. Jumping is a modifier of dogs.
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Wed 26 Jul, 2006 05:48 am
Aha!!I have learnt something today!!
I knew id get it wrong.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Wed 26 Jul, 2006 06:21 am
Noun - a person, place or thing, e. g. human, Australia, computer. A name is kind of similar, it's a designation for a particular instance of a noun, e. g. Wilso.

Pronoun - I don't really know the actual definition but essentially it's a specific part of speech that subs for a noun, e. g. he instead of Wilso or it instead of horse. Since pronouns can be somewhat vague, their subjects have to be introduced first in a sentence or paragraph. E. g. I'm talking to Wilso. He's from Australia. Pronouns are divided into first person singular (I), second person singular or plural (you), third person singular (he, she, it, one), first person plural (we) and third person plural (they). There used to be a differentiation of second person singular and plural (the singular used to be thee/thou) but that's archaic and not used any more.

Verb - an action word, but some are also used as a piece of defining participles (e. g. have is used to help denote past tense). The most common verbs are probably be, do, have and make. A pronoun plus a noun is used in conjugating. Conjugations are used in order to understand how various verbs go along with various pronouns. French and other Romance languages illustrate this better than English does, but there are still English conjugations, i. e.

Code:I am we are
you are you are
he is they are

Most English verbs just conjugate out to 2 present tense forms, 1 is with a final s and the other is without. The one with the final s is the one used with third person singular, i. e.
Code:I walk we walk
you walk you walk
he walks they walk

Verbs that end in a vowel (like do) have some slight spelling variants in order to get the s at the end (e. g. does) but they conjugate in the same fashion. To be, which I conjugated above, is the only truly irregular verb in English. In contrast, there are lots of irregular verbs in French and Spanish and other languages.

Verbs come in various tenses, which describe time. There's a present tense, a past participle, a future tense, a conditional tense and what's called in Spanish the preterit, which is similar to the present tense but involves what's called a gerund in English. There are undoubtedly other tenses that arise when other words are combined, but let's go with these for the moment. The present tense is walk, the past participle is have walked, the future tense is will walk, the conditional is would walk and the gerund is is walking. All verbs also have a second past tense, the past imperfect (at least I think that's what it's called; I'm having a devil of a time finding it). This form does not need the word have in front of it. E. g. I ate versus I have eaten. Sometimes these two past tense forms are identical -- you can say I walked and I have walked. There are also transitive and intransitive verbs, but personally I've never heard a good definition of them.

Adjective - a word modifying a noun. Colors are adjectives, but so are words like emotions and other states of being. e. g. The happy horse, the red wagon, the tall building.

Adverb - a word modifying anything but a noun. Almost all of these end in -ly, but there are some common ones that don't, such as very and quite. These words tend to be intensifiers, e. g. The girl ate a very big pizza.

Article - a word put next to a noun in order to make a reference to it. That book, this man, the wall, a friend. These are always really short words.

Sentence - a complete thought. A simple sentence is one complete thought. Compound and complex sentences have more than one complete thought. She went to the store.

Conjunction - this is a connector word and I can only think of five of them: and, but, or, for and nor. And is an additive word, but gives conditions (so does for, usually), or implies choices and nor implies negative choices. Conjunctions are how you put together compound sentences. Compound sentences are two simple sentences strung together with a comma (usually) and then a conjunction, e. g. She went to the store, and her brother went to the movies. If you cut out the comma and the conjunction, and stuck a period in there instead, you'd have 2 perfectly good simple sentences. A complex sentence uses a semicolon instead of the comma-conjunction combination, e. g. She went to the store; her brother went to the movies.

Preposition - this is a word that indicates location, e. g. up, down, under, above, beneath, beside, between.

See also: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Parts_of_speech

I hope this helps.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 26 Jul, 2006 07:02 am
My mother had me memorize this as a child:

Quote:
A noun is the name of anything:
Book or pencil, hoop or ring.

Instead of nouns, the pronouns stand:
Their heads, her face, its paw, his hand.

Verbs tell the tale the noun begins:
He runs, sings, dances, hops and wins.

Adjectives tell what kind of noun:
Great, small, pretty, white or brown.

How things are done the adverbs tell:
Slowly, quickly, poorly or well.

Prepositions link the noun:
We stayed at home; they went to town.

Conjunctions join the words together:
Men and women; wind or weather.

Interjections show surprise:
Oh! How pretty! Ah! How wise.

The whole are called Nine Parts of Speech
Which reading, writing, preaching teach.
0 Replies

marycat

Reply Wed 26 Jul, 2006 07:20 am
Noddy, that's a great poem! Your mother must have been a wise woman.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Wed 26 Jul, 2006 07:23 am
Thanks guys. The main reason I need to understand these things, is so I can understand what Thai DOESN'T have.

*There are no variant or plural forms for adjectives and nouns.
*Adjectives follow the noun..."car red" instead of "red car".
*No verb conjugations. Tenses are understood from the context or from adverbs of time.
*No articles.
*No verb 'to be'. "She is beautiful" would be "She beautiful".
*Omits the subject of a sentence when it is understood from the context.

And the most important one. It's tonal. I can't produce tone marks here but I can give an example. The tone is in brackets after the word.

maai (high tone) mai (low tone) mai (falling tone) mai (falling tone) mai(high tone)

means....

New wood doesn't burn, does it?
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 26 Jul, 2006 09:27 am
Marycat--

My mother didn't write "The Parts of Speech"--she was given it to memorize as a child.

I finally remembered the first couplet:

Quote:

Three little words you often see
Are Articles, "a" and "an" and "the".

A noun is the name of anything:
Book or pencil, hoop or ring.

Instead of nouns, the pronouns stand:
Their heads, her face, its paw, his hand.

Verbs tell the tale the noun begins:
He runs, sings, dances, hops and wins.

Adjectives tell what kind of noun:
Great, small, pretty, white or brown.

How things are done the adverbs tell:
Slowly, quickly, poorly or well.

Prepositions link the noun:
We stayed at home; they went to town.

Conjunctions join the words together:
Men and women; wind or weather.

Interjections show surprise:
Oh! How pretty! Ah! How wise.

The whole are called Nine Parts of Speech
Which reading, writing, preaching teach.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Wed 26 Jul, 2006 03:05 pm
Wilso wrote:
Thanks guys. The main reason I need to understand these things, is so I can understand what Thai DOESN'T have.

*There are no variant or plural forms for adjectives and nouns.
*Adjectives follow the noun..."car red" instead of "red car".
*No verb conjugations. Tenses are understood from the context or from adverbs of time.
*No articles.
*No verb 'to be'. "She is beautiful" would be "She beautiful"....

This dovetails with what I've observed with some nonnative speakers, particularly Asian speakers, who miss the plural noun forms a lot, e. g. He has two computer.
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Wed 26 Jul, 2006 04:42 pm
that rhyme is brilliant

bookmark Very Happy
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Tue 1 Aug, 2006 12:27 pm
Nouns, pronouns
Quote:
All verbs also have a second past tense, the past imperfect (at least I think that's what it's called; I'm having a devil of a time finding it). This form does not need the word have in front of it. E. g. I ate versus I have eaten. Sometimes these two past tense forms are identical -- you can say I walked and I have walked. There are also transitive and intransitive verbs, but personally I've never heard a good definition of them.

Second item first - because it's easier: Transitive verbs take an object, e.g. "I throw the ball". Intransitive verbs don't have an object, e.g. "I walked". If you say "I walked the dog", the verb becomes transitive. It's usage that defines whether the verb is transitive or instransitive, rather than the nature of the verb itself. However, there are a few exceptions, e.g. the verb "to be".

First item: You wouldn't say "I have eaten dinner yesterday", but "I ate dinner yesterday", but you could say "I have eaten fish many times". That implies a certain degree of incompleteness,i.e. your eating of fish has not totally ended. If you say "I ate fish" the implication is that there was an occasion or period when you ate fish, but no longer; there is no imdication whether you are going to continue eating fish.

Personally, I don't like fish.
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Tue 1 Aug, 2006 12:47 pm
I think past imperfect is an action over time isn't it? I was eating ???? In French that's the difference anyway I seem to remember

I walked is perfect, I was walking imperfect?
0 Replies