Bush Vetos Stem Cell Research Bill

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 21 Jul, 2006 11:01 am
Advocate, All the inconcsistencies in Bush's rhetoric doesn't matter; they refuse to see the hypocrisy. "Each life is precious" is his message, but all we need to do is look at his record on Iraq (tens of thousands of innocents killed by our military), Texas (highest death penalty state in the US), children's health(more without health insurance since he became president), and what's happening in Lebanon(more innocent Lebanese killed).
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Fri 21 Jul, 2006 11:45 am
cicerone imposter wrote:
Advocate, All the inconcsistencies in Bush's rhetoric doesn't matter; they refuse to see the hypocrisy. "Each life is precious" is his message, but all we need to do is look at his record on Iraq (tens of thousands of innocents killed by our military), Texas (highest death penalty state in the US), children's health(more without health insurance since he became president), and what's happening in Lebanon(more innocent Lebanese killed).

I side against GW's veto in this area.

Yet GW is consistant in one area. He is pro life.

I can see why liberals would be for killing the embryo since many are pro abortion.

Go figure!
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 21 Jul, 2006 12:36 pm
woiyo, Your myopia is showing. Embryos are not humans. Unused stem cells will be eventually destroyed if not used for pregnancy. Your "pro abortion" rhetoric misses the whole point of the discussion. It's about a woman's right to determine how to control her own body.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 21 Jul, 2006 12:57 pm
The president of the United States of America has the power to call the Israelian government to stop bombing civilian areas in Lebanon or else he would stop selling arms to them.
Instead he chose a press-conference to stage his belief that the binning of tine embryonic specks, most of which would have died anyways, is "murder".

I've my opinion about people which such a morality, who don't care about the victims of wars but about embryos.
Others might share this view.
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Fri 21 Jul, 2006 01:00 pm
cicerone imposter wrote:
woiyo, Your myopia is showing. Embryos are not humans. Unused stem cells will be eventually destroyed if not used for pregnancy. Your "pro abortion" rhetoric misses the whole point of the discussion. It's about a woman's right to determine how to control her own body.

Really?

Human embryos ARE human and I favor their destruction for the sole purpose of stem cell research. I think GW is wrong here because more can be learned from this research than from existing lines available to science. So long as this science is very tightly controlled, I favor going forward with the research.

I also favor a womans right to kill it's child via abortion so long as I do not pay for it.

You have been unable to argue why you disagree with GW's position excpet to call him an imbecile.

I think YOU need medical attention.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 21 Jul, 2006 01:05 pm
See Walter's post above yours. You wouldn't understand anything about hypocrisy.
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Fri 21 Jul, 2006 01:34 pm
Walter Hinteler wrote:
The president of the United States of America has the power to call the Israelian government to stop bombing civilian areas in Lebanon or else he would stop selling arms to them.
Instead he chose a press-conference to stage his belief that the binning of tine embryonic specks, most of which would have died anyways, is "murder".

I've my opinion about people which such a morality, who don't care about the victims of wars but about embryos.

In America, we need multi tasking in our leaders as more than one thing is going on.
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Fri 21 Jul, 2006 01:35 pm
cicerone imposter wrote:
See Walter's post above yours. You wouldn't understand anything about hypocrisy.

You become more irrlelvant each day as you continue to chirp. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 21 Jul, 2006 01:45 pm
woiyo wrote:

In America, we need multi tasking in our leaders as more than one thing is going on.

I've understood this. Completely.
Thus my opinion.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Fri 21 Jul, 2006 01:49 pm
Walter Hinteler wrote:
woiyo wrote:

Thus my opinion.

Your opinion is that the President shouldn't allow Israel to defend itself because he doesn't want federal funding going towards new stem cell research?

Does that basically sum it up Walt?
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 21 Jul, 2006 01:55 pm
See, Walter? They're all brain-dead; all they offer are projections, diversions, and straw man that doesn't address the primary issue; killing innocents.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 21 Jul, 2006 02:21 pm
McGentrix wrote:
Walter Hinteler wrote:
woiyo wrote:

Thus my opinion.

Your opinion is that the President shouldn't allow Israel to defend itself because he doesn't want federal funding going towards new stem cell research?

Does that basically sum it up Walt?

No. Neither fif I say so nor intend to give an interpretation like such.
To be precise: I didn't be tangent to aynthing like what you said.

As an aside: I'm posting under my real and full name. My prename is Walter and not Walt.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Fri 21 Jul, 2006 02:23 pm
Walter Hinteler wrote:

so when you said this, what was did you mean?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 21 Jul, 2006 02:33 pm
I mean that I have my opinion about people which such a morality, who don't care about the victims of wars but about embryos.

And that others might have another view about this - both, my opinion and how the facts are.

Fullstop.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Fri 21 Jul, 2006 02:37 pm
Walter Hinteler wrote:
I mean that I have my opinion about people which such a morality, who don't care about the victims of wars but about embryos.

And that others might have another view about this - both, my opinion and how the facts are.

Fullstop.

Then you believe that Bush "doesn't care about the victims of wars"? You think this because he "has the power to call the Israelian government to stop bombing civilian areas in Lebanon".

Is that right?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 21 Jul, 2006 02:44 pm
My belief has nothing to do with my responses - at least here, and in general.

But as I said, I've an opinion about people who chose a press-conference to stage their belief that the binning of tine embryonic specks, most of which would have died anyways, is "murder" instead of ... see above.

You see, if it wasn't rather late and hot here, and you had asked me a more appropriate question e.g. about my opinion re stem cell rersearch (see nimh's earlier response re the European situation) .... but it's too late and too hot here, and you didn't ask ...
0 Replies

Advocate

Reply Fri 21 Jul, 2006 03:50 pm
Walter, maybe you can tell Hezbollah to stop hiding among the civilians.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 21 Jul, 2006 07:35 pm
McG wrote:
Then you believe that Bush "doesn't care about the victims of wars"?

All these jerks must have graduated from the same moron bush college.
They project stupid ideas and straw man concepts that is so moronic, it's hard to believe people don't call them on it.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Fri 21 Jul, 2006 09:16 pm
cicerone imposter wrote:
McG wrote:
Then you believe that Bush "doesn't care about the victims of wars"?

All these jerks must have graduated from the same moron bush college.
They project stupid ideas and straw man concepts that is so moronic, it's hard to believe people don't call them on it.

Breathe, C.I. - BREATHE...............
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 24 Jul, 2006 11:55 am
EU to fund embryo cell research
Ministers from European Union member states have agreed to continue funding research on embryonic stem cells.
Some countries oppose the research, but scientists say the cells are the key to treating diseases such as Alzheimer's and Parkinson's.

Last week US President George W Bush used his veto for the first time to limit federal funding for the research.

The EU ministers agreed not to fund activities that destroyed human embryos but said other research could continue.

We clarified what actually we do and we committed ourselves to continue in that direction also in the future
Science and Research Commissioner Janez Potocnik

European Commissioner for Science and Research Janez Potocnik said the EU would not finance the "procurement" of embryonic stem cells - a process which results in the death of the embryo - but it would finance the use of the cells.

Stem cells are able to turn themselves into any other type of cell in the body, and it is hoped therefore that they can be used to repair parts of the body or develop new drugs.

No 'killing'

The cells are removed from human embryos left over from fertility treatment and earmarked for disposal.

The Associated Press news agency said five countries voted against the decision - Austria, Lithuania, Malta, Poland and Slovakia.

STEM CELL RESEARCH FUNDING
NOT KEEN :
Austria
Germany
Italy
Lithuania
Luxembourg
Malta
Poland
Slovakia
KEEN :
Belgium
Finland
France
Portugal
Spain
Sweden
UK

Germany, Italy and Slovenia, which had threatened to vote against the proposal, were won over by the decision not to fund activities causing the destruction of embryos.
"We must conserve human life from its conception. We want no financial incentives to kill embryos," German Research Minister Annette Schavan told fellow ministers earlier in the day.

Together the eight countries could have blocked adoption of the EU's 54bn euro (£37bn) research budget for 2007-13, of which stem cell research forms a very small part.

Mr Potocnik said the agreement reflected the EU's existing practice.

"We clarified what actually we do and we committed ourselves to continue in that direction also in the future," he said.

However, the ground rules for EU-funded research have up to now said stem cells can be derived from embryos, subject to certain restrictions.

EU rules

Some of the countries which oppose stem cell research are influenced by Roman Catholic teaching.

In Germany, memories are coloured by Nazi experiments during World War II.

HAVE YOUR SAY
If the EU bans funding for stem cell research, scientists will only seek funding from elsewhere
Rachel Parrott, Penarth, UK

Belgium, Spain, Sweden and the UK are among the most enthusiastic backers in Europe of stem cell research.

Under the four-year EU research budget which ends in 2006, 70m euro has been spent on nine research projects with a component involving stem cells.

In practice, most European stem cell research is funded at national, rather than European level, and uses adult rather than embryonic stem cells.

However, scientists said a ban would have been bad news for researchers.

"It's not so much - for people in the UK - the amount of money, it's the ability to collaborate with very good groups in other countries in Europe," Professor Austin Smith, director of the Institute of Stem Cell Research at Cambridge University told BBC Radio 4's Today Programme.

Portuguese Minister Jose Mariano Gago said: "We must avoid a situation where our scientists emigrate to other countries."

Story from BBC NEWS:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/2/hi/europe/5209106.stm

Published: 2006/07/24 17:17:40 GMT
0 Replies