Bush Vetos Stem Cell Research Bill

Reply Wed 19 Jul, 2006 01:09 pm
http://msnbcmedia.msn.com/i/msnbc/Components/Art/COVER/060719/STG_HZ_Veto_1140a.jpg

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/

In a widely expected move by the Bush administration, pResident Bush implemented his first veto of his Residency in the White House in regards to the Stem Cell Research bill overwhelmingly supported by both Democrats AND Republicans, liberals AND conservatives. What should be readily apparent here is that as Bush's support continues to wane with traditional conservatives, that his only hope of maintaining his base for support is to placate the religious right, even at the expense of the majority of this country who overwhelmingly support embryonic stem cell research.

The worst administration in modern American history just robbed this country of a fighting chance in battling some of the most horrible and crippling diseases of this modern century. Bush's draconian acts have only further helped in pushing back the tide of progress in this country by decades.

And, once again, we see the complete idiocy of the Bush administration in clear view. Let us hope the American people and Congress fight back and offer up a veto-proof bill as soon as possible.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,596 • Replies: 89
No top replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 19 Jul, 2006 01:18 pm
Can't expect much from a moron, and guess who voted for him?

We now have a bunch of apologists for this incompetent nincompoop.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Wed 19 Jul, 2006 01:27 pm
I don't blame Bush for doing this. He promised this to the people who got him elected.

If you wanted anything different, you should have elected a Democrat.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Wed 19 Jul, 2006 01:50 pm
Granted -- If I was president, I would not make this bill the only one I'd veto. But given that both sides of the stem cell debate rely mostly on hype, I disagree that Bush's veto proves idiocy. Actually, current legislation in America is more permissive than in much of Europe, icluding Germany. And nobody accused the German government of idiocy over its stand on stem cell research yet.
0 Replies

Dookiestix

Reply Wed 19 Jul, 2006 01:54 pm
ebrown_p wrote:
I don't blame Bush for doing this. He promised this to the people who got him elected.

If you wanted anything different, you should have elected a Democrat.

You don't blame Bush for stopping embryonic stem cell research when a majority of Americans and both chambers of Congress feel otherwise?

Oh well, so much for the will of the people. It is now the will of the minority, diehard religious zealot who seems to be making Bush's decisions for him.
0 Replies

Dookiestix

Reply Wed 19 Jul, 2006 01:58 pm
Thomas wrote:
Granted -- If I was president, I would not make this bill the only one I'd veto. But given that both sides of the stem cell debate rely mostly on hype, I disagree that Bush's veto proves idiocy. Actually, current legislation in America is more permissive than in much of Europe, icluding Germany. And nobody accused the German government of idiocy over its stand on stem cell research yet.

What's the hype coming from an overwhelming majority of Americans who support embryonic stem cell research? Or is the will of the people now considered "hype?"
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Wed 19 Jul, 2006 01:59 pm
Dookiestix wrote:
Oh well, so much for the will of the people. It is now the will of the minority, diehard religious zealot who seems to be making Bush's decisions for him.

No. The majority that elected Bush for president prevailed over the majorities that elected each member into Congress. Both institutions, Congress and the presidency, are elected by popular vote, and thus represent a majority of voters.
0 Replies

Dookiestix

Reply Wed 19 Jul, 2006 02:22 pm
Thomas wrote:
Dookiestix wrote:

No. The majority that elected Bush for president prevailed over the majorities that elected each member into Congress. Both institutions, Congress and the presidency, are elected by popular vote, and thus represent a majority of voters.

Wrong. If the popular vote counted, Al Gore would have been our 43rd President. Bush won by getting more electoral votes in 2000 and 2004, and it has been well documented (but barely publicized) that both the 2000 and 2004 elections were the most fraudulent, giving Republicans the most advantage over Democrats in every sense of the word. But to be clear; Bush did NOT get the popular vote in 2000.

The will of the people NOW has nothing to do with who they elected, but the policies they wish to see instilled NOW. As there are plenty of conservatives who also support embryonic stem cell research, then it would lead one to conclude that they are not very happy with Bush at this point in time. In layman's terms, this is what we call "buyers' remorse," and it's getting worse for the diehard conservative who now sees Bush as not doing what he had promised them he would do. Besides, Bush's popularity amongst his own conservative supporters now is dramatically different than it was just prior to the 2004 elections. That's because there was a lot we didn't know then that we know now.

Not so cut and dry, is it?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 19 Jul, 2006 02:30 pm
I agree with Thomas, here, and completely.
(Has there ever been a president before who only once vetoed a bill?)
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Wed 19 Jul, 2006 02:34 pm
Walter Hinteler wrote:
I agree with Thomas, here, and completely.
(Has there ever been a president before who only once vetoed a bill?)

He's had a Republican controlled congress. Why would he need to use his veto power when congress is doing his bidding?
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 19 Jul, 2006 02:35 pm
To assume that just because the voters elect a president that they must follow in lock-step with the president's decisions is the ultimate in ignorance.

People vote based on what they perceive to be "promises" and upholding political values. How many of Bush's promises has he kept?

That seems to be the reason why polls show Bush's performance rating to be so dismal; the majority of Americans disagree with how Bush is handling the important stuff in our lives.

To say now just because the majority of voters elected him, they must approve of everything he does - including illegal wiretaps - really doesn't understand anything about American democracy.

Many of the good stem cell scientists are leaving the US where stem cell research is encouraged and funded. It's the next generation of science that has the potential to help humans with disease and disabilities.

Bush is a moron.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Wed 19 Jul, 2006 02:42 pm
cicerone imposter wrote:
People vote based on what they perceive to be "promises" and upholding political values. How many of Bush's promises has he kept?

He promised to veto any new federal funding for human stem cell research.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Wed 19 Jul, 2006 02:43 pm
cicerone imposter wrote:
Can't expect much from a moron, and guess who voted for him?

How is this relevant to the blastula issue?
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Wed 19 Jul, 2006 02:44 pm
McGentrix wrote:
cicerone imposter wrote:

Let industry fund the research.
0 Replies

Dookiestix

Reply Wed 19 Jul, 2006 02:45 pm
Quote:
Rep. Diana DeGette (D-Colo.), a leading sponsor of the "Stem Cell Research Enhancement Act, explained, "H.R. 810 would have corrected the President's short-sighted policy by allowing this important research to move forward under ethical constraints. This research holds so much promise to solving diseases that affect more than 110 million Americans. Vetoing this bill is one of the greatest mistakes of his Presidency."

This research has the support of more than 70% of Americans today. Which basically means that the miniscule 35% who still support Bush are being pandered to as his popularity continues to wane by making sure that millions of Americans will never have the chance to live fuller lives thanx to modern science. Instead, they will remain miserable under the draconian religious fanaticism that is now Bush's only remaining base of support.

This is beyond sick. But what do you expect when you elect a complete moron and a diabolical V.P. to the White House.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Wed 19 Jul, 2006 02:46 pm
cicerone imposter wrote:
It's the next generation of science that has the potential to help humans with disease and disabilities.

Only a scientist could possible make such a claim and you, sir are not a scientist.

Embarrassed
0 Replies

Dookiestix

Reply Wed 19 Jul, 2006 02:46 pm
Miller wrote:
McGentrix wrote:
cicerone imposter wrote:

Let industry fund the research.

70% of Americans disagree with you.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Wed 19 Jul, 2006 02:48 pm
Re: Bush Vetos Stem Cell Research Bill
Dookiestix wrote:
http://msnbcmedia.msn.com/i/msnbc/Components/Art/COVER/060719/STG_HZ_Veto_1140a.jpg

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/

In a widely expected move by the Bush administration, pResident Bush implemented his first veto of his Residency in the White House in regards to the Stem Cell Research bill overwhelmingly supported by both Democrats AND Republicans, liberals AND conservatives. What should be readily apparent here is that as Bush's support continues to wane with traditional conservatives, that his only hope of maintaining his base for support is to placate the religious right, even at the expense of the majority of this country who overwhelmingly support embryonic stem cell research.

The worst administration in modern American history just robbed this country of a fighting chance in battling some of the most horrible and crippling diseases of this modern century. Bush's draconian acts have only further helped in pushing back the tide of progress in this country by decades.

And, once again, we see the complete idiocy of the Bush administration in clear view. Let us hope the American people and Congress fight back and offer up a veto-proof bill as soon as possible.

Pure BM. When did MSNBC become part of the NIH? Shocked
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 19 Jul, 2006 02:48 pm
There are other researchers in other countries who can do, and are doing, the research. In the grand scheme of things, I don't think this means much.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 19 Jul, 2006 02:51 pm
I never claimed to be a scientist. Just because I'm not a scientist, doesn't mean I don't have opinions on science subjects or medical care for humans.

You wouldn't understand the difference.
0 Replies