Fu@ked By Bush Again

cavfancier

Reply Wed 28 May, 2003 09:03 am
Heh heh, the age-old question....some say the glass is half empty, some say it is half full. I say, umm, someone drank from that...
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 28 May, 2003 09:11 am
Scrat's post:"Are all the glasses at your house half empty?" In our house, they're ALL empty until somebody uses it. It usually begins at full, then gradually ends up empty. Wink c.i.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Wed 28 May, 2003 06:15 pm
Scrat it's not possible you could be more off base. My household and family are a very uptempo full glass happy go lucky group but we all, down to the youngest child know bullshit when we encounter it, and anything to do with bush is bullshit of the highest order. we're not miserable about it, but we recognize it.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 28 May, 2003 09:18 pm
Letting GWBush ruin your disposition is plain darn silly. We just gotta learn to laugh at his foibles. c.i.
0 Replies

NeoGuin

Reply Thu 29 May, 2003 06:38 am
c.i:

Even though those foibles threaten world stability and wreck our economy!
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Thu 29 May, 2003 08:45 am
Ditto Neo. He's too scary to laugh at. And there's still not one viable candidate to go up against him.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 29 May, 2003 09:26 am
eoe wrote:
Ditto Neo. He's too scary to laugh at. And there's still not one viable candidate to go up against him.

That's what most people thought as his father's term was nearing an end -- and many people laughed at the thought that a small time governor from Arkansas would beat Bush Pere!!!
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 29 May, 2003 09:41 am
NeoG, What else can we do? c.i.
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Thu 29 May, 2003 09:45 am
I have no use what so ever for Bush and a rarely agree with Scrat's post. But I think he and Farmerman have a good point. At the moment the major problem with hydrogen powered vehicles is not the power plant but the source and distribution system for hydrogen. It is those two issues that are delaying the adoptions of hydrogen powered cars. Change is rarely clean and dramatic but stepwise and like it or not the oil companies have both a source for hydrogen and the capital and the motivation to create a distribution system. Once that system is in place there will be an environment for other producers of hydrogen to compete on price and supply. When that happens the mega corporations will find themselves on a different playing field for hydrogen unlike fossil fuels is not a limited resource.
0 Replies

NeoGuin

Reply Thu 29 May, 2003 10:21 am
eoe:

I don't buy that--I think Dean and Kucinich could get the "Core" of the party moving again.

c.i:

Organize, stay informed, try and build the kind of movement that can defeat Bush.
0 Replies

GreenEyes

Reply Thu 29 May, 2003 10:38 am
cicerone imposter wrote:
Letting GWBush ruin your disposition is plain darn silly. We just gotta learn to laugh at his foibles. c.i.

Sounds familiar.... I believe that is how we survived Clinton.
0 Replies

Scrat

Reply Thu 29 May, 2003 11:16 am
[delete]
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Thu 29 May, 2003 11:47 am
(on edit: Thanks for editing, Scrat. I did likewise.)

Scrat, could you explain the obvious dichotomy between this statement:

Scrat wrote:
When Clinton was in office I disliked the man and saw lots to dislike in his programs and actions, but I didn't pretend that his intentions were evil, nor did I assume that everything he did was wrong, based on the worst intentions, and sure to destroy us all.

and this statement:

Scrat wrote:
I am genuinely curious to know how someone would differentiate Clinton's genius for politics from the simple willingness to do anything to get what one wants without the encumbrance of ethical or moral restraint.
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Thu 29 May, 2003 11:50 am
There is no right at the moment. Rather there is a cabal of gimlet eyed radicals attempting to cram an extreme form of unregulated market individualism down the country's throat. The end result will be something similar to 19th century South America, a small super wealthy arrogant elite lording it over a marginalized desperately poor population.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 29 May, 2003 11:52 am
Being Canadian, I am pretty much neutral on the subject of Dubya, although I am completely in support of hydrogen-powered cars. How they get to their goal may not be the issue right now. These times seem to make strange bedfellows. I posted this in another thread, but I thought it might be appropriate here as well. Kind words for Bush from Bono, and a reference I heard this moring about Bob Geldof:

His charm lies in the fact that, whether he's at an audience with Pope John Paul II or singing "Beautiful Day" for 20,000 fans, his need to communicate is palpable. There was a time when Bono harangued the world -- "Am I bugging you?" he would spit at U2 fans, all the while making it clear that he didn't give a damn if he was. A decade later he has learned a more effective path: "Sometimes, instead of climbing over the barricades, you've got to walk around them, and sometimes you discover that the real enemy is not what you think it is," he says. That attitude has led to some strange-seeming bedfellows, chief among them Senator Jesse Helms, the 80-year-old archconservative from North Carolina, who became Bono's champion in the struggle to get a debt-relief plan through Congress. According to Bono, "When I first started going to Washington for meetings on Capitol Hill, I'm sure I looked like a very exotic creature, but eventually they didn't see me, they just saw the argument. And the thing about the pictures of me the rock star with, say, Jesse Helms the politician is -- it's really unhip for both of us, you know, it's a bad look for the two of us!"

While the other guys in U2 may find it incredibly unsexy to have the likes of Orrin Hatch or Paul Volcker hanging backstage, Bono knows that power is not always pretty. ("Just the sight of Orrin Hatch in the mosh pit...it's exciting," Bono says, and you can't tell if he means it or not.) "I think that politicians are attracted at first by the celebrity," says Harvard economics professor Jeffrey Sachs, "but once they meet him, they find that he is outstandingly capable." Along with producer Bobby Shriver, Sachs became part of Bono's American kitchen cabinet in 1999 in the quest to get debt relief on the agenda. In his Class Day address at Harvard in June, Bono summed up the trio: "Sachs and I, with Bobby Shriver, hit the road like some kind of surreal crossover act. A Rock Star, a Kennedy, and a Noted Economist crisscrossing the globe like the Partridge family on psychotropic drugs."

The results have already been impressive: In November of 2000, Congress passed legislation authorizing $435 million in debt relief. Last July, President Bush and the G8 countries focused the debate on issuing grants rather than loans to developing nations, and Bono is sure a lot more is about to happen. "I'm confident that President Bush has a real feeling for the AIDS pandemic. Essentially, what we're asking for is a kind of Marshall Plan for Africa. A few months ago that didn't look like a possibility, but post-September 11, the comparisons are striking. When you have nothing, you are easy prey to terrorists and to groups who keep alive the lie that the West is not interested in your calamity. We've just seen what happens when one country, Afghanistan, implodes. God knows what will happen if the entire continent of Africa is left on its current trajectory, which is disaster."

[Bob Geldof has also gone on record to say that the Bush administration has been "brilliant" in recently pledging 15 billion dollars to fight AIDS and hunger in the Congo. On Clinton, Sir Bob said he talked a lot, but did nothing. Sorry folks, can't find a link for this, heard it on the radio news this morning]
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 29 May, 2003 12:12 pm
cav, Bush "pledged" that 15 billion in his state of the union speech back in January. If you look closely at how that 15 billion was to be funded, you'll see the smoke and mirrors of that pledge. c.i.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 29 May, 2003 12:18 pm
Hmm....I don't pay much attention to US politics, or politics in general to be honest....thanks for the tip. Think I'll stick to raspberry Bushes Very Happy
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Thu 29 May, 2003 01:21 pm
If I may sum this up, Everyone is excited about autos being powered by Hydrogen, but the source of the Hydrogen is making many upset because fossil fuels will be used.

Am I correct in that assumption so far?

It also appears that many are upset because Bush has a vested interest in Oil and so do many of the other leaders in the current administration and that may be a reason why fossil fuels are being used instead of the other options available.

Stll correct?

Here's where I go out on the limb...

Instead of being happy that the Hydrogen cars are getting attention at all, it seems that the wrong aspect of this issue is being discussed. The very title is quite amusing, considering Bush has very little to do with any decision like this, but bases his decisions on what his advisors explain to him.

It's like standing in a bread line and demanding toast.
0 Replies

Scrat

Reply Thu 29 May, 2003 01:30 pm
PD - You assume that my belief that Clinton lacked a moral compass means I never saw anything good in what he did. There is no dichotomy there.

And I think you're right; I need to reel it in a bit. I guess I get so used to others making it personal and being abusive that I forget that we're supposed to refrain from that kind of thing. My bad.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 29 May, 2003 02:04 pm
Acquiunk wrote:
There is no right at the moment. Rather there is a cabal of gimlet eyed radicals attempting to cram an extreme form of unregulated market individualism down the country's throat. The end result will be something similar to 19th century South America, a small super wealthy arrogant elite lording it over a marginalized desperately poor population.

The "right" is a ragtag group at best.

One issue Christians who vote with the conservatives on the basis of their hatred of abortion rights comprise a huge segment. They are, for the most part, a group who, except for that one issue, diametrically opposed to almost everything else in the conservative agenda -- mostly because so much of what is contained in the conservative agenda is considerably at odds with the teachings of Jesus.

Another significant segment of the "right" is made up of redneck, race baiting, xenophobic, male/Ameican chauvanistic retards. They are people whose demands lead to much that the rest of us fear from America's "right."

In any case, America's right is wrong -- and one doesn't have to be a liberal to appreciate that.
0 Replies