ISRAEL - IRAN - SYRIA - HAMAS - HEZBOLLAH - WWWIII?

Advocate

Reply Tue 31 Mar, 2009 07:39 am
@cicerone imposter,
Sorry, I might have the wrong person.
cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 31 Mar, 2009 03:31 pm
@Advocate,
Are we even or do I get one freebie? LOL
Advocate

Reply Tue 31 Mar, 2009 04:30 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Sure, take your best shot. (You probably throw a ball like a girl.)
cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 31 Mar, 2009 04:34 pm
@Advocate,
So, you've never watched women baseball, heh? LOL You're in for a big surprise!
0 Replies

ican711nm

Reply Tue 31 Mar, 2009 04:40 pm
The Palestinian Arabs are all responsible for what their government does and does not do.

The Israelis are all responsible for what their government does and does not do.

The Israelis support their government defending them by attempting to destroy those Palestinian Arab neighborhoods that shoot at them.

The Palestinian Arabs either support or are passive about some Palestinian Arabs shooting at Israelis from their neighborhoods.

To the best of my knowledge, no Palestinian Arabs actively oppose some Palestinian Arabs shooting at Israelis from their neighborhoods.

The Palestinian Arabs are paying, and will continue to pay, a dear price for that inactivity.
Foxfyre

Reply Wed 1 Apr, 2009 09:25 am
@ican711nm,
I'm thinking about this one.

Yes we all share in what our government is, and our failure to make our government into what we want it to be does not absolve us from our responsibility to do so. But most of us live in places where we can criticize our government and lobby for change with impunity.

I do blame the Israelis who would condone misconduct by Israeli soldiers and there will be such misconduct in time of war. But the decent Israelis and honorable soldiers are not responsible for that misconduct unless they condone it and do not deal with it. In Israel people can speak out against the actions of the soldier or the government with impunity because Israel respects human rights and freedoms.

The Palestinians do not have such luxury. He or she who speaks out against their leadership and/or its activities is in imminent danger of being shot, tortured, or beheaded. So I have a tough time thinking that those innocent civilians who are forced to stay beside the rocket launchers or simply have nowhere else to go where they can survive are responsible.

But those who willingly stay and who dance in the street at news of Israeli children being hurt or killed - yeah, they are responsible.
http://factsofisrael.com/blog/archives/000248.html
georgeob1

Reply Wed 1 Apr, 2009 09:54 am
@Foxfyre,
Foxfyre wrote:

I'm thinking about this one.

Yes we all share in what our government is, and our failure to make our government into what we want it to be does not absolve us from our responsibility to do so. But most of us live in places where we can criticize our government and lobby for change with impunity.

I do blame the Israelis who would condone misconduct by Israeli soldiers and there will be such misconduct in time of war. But the decent Israelis and honorable soldiers are not responsible for that misconduct unless they condone it and do not deal with it. In Israel people can speak out against the actions of the soldier or the government with impunity because Israel respects human rights and freedoms.

Do you hold Israelis responsible for the actions of their elected governments since the 1967 War?

Immediately after the war, they declared the western perimiter of the West Bank as a permanent Israeli controlled and occupied military barrier, forever separating it from Jordan and any boundary with any state other than Israel. They also established a military occupation of the West Bank which continued for almost for decades and which in about 2/3rds of the West Bank continues today. Throughout that period they allowed no political rights whatever to the people who lived in that territory, and for most of the period prevented the formation of any self-governing bodies for the occupied people. In addition they operated a systematic program of expropriation of Palestinian territory and property - without compensation - and the attendant settlement of sometimes fanatical Zionists there, many recent immigrants from Russia - a program that continues to this day. They have connected these settlements with a network of controlled and limited access roads which effectively isolate the Palestinian population in disjoint cantonments, thus preventing any normal economic or social activity among them. Finally, they have erected a barrier wall that further isolates the captive Palestinian population, and they continue to control access to water, utility services and even air rights over the territory.

Do you believe the Palestinians who have lived under this regime for most (or all) of their lives have any legitimate grievances? Would you object to a foreign government that imposed such a regime on you?

Do you detect any self-serving hypocrisy in the Israeli claim that they must do these things because the Palestinians are angry with them and actively oppose both this regime and its continuing expansion?

Can you point to any historical example suggesting that the Palestinians (or any other people) will peacefully accept such a situation?
Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 1 Apr, 2009 10:09 am
@Foxfyre,
Foxfyre wrote:
The Palestinians do not have such luxury. He or she who speaks out against their leadership and/or its activities is in imminent danger of being shot, tortured, or beheaded. So I have a tough time thinking that those innocent civilians who are forced to stay beside the rocket launchers or simply have nowhere else to go where they can survive are responsible.

With all due respect, Foxfyre, but do you really think so?

Is such only valid for Palestine or does it apply to any similar situation elsewhere?

I mean, both our local Evangelical and Catholic high schools invited some Christian Palestine pupils.

They are willing to stay there, it's their 'patria', since literally ages.
I don't know - they aren't here yet - if "they danced in the streets at news of of Israeli children being hurt or killed".

But from their posts/emails which I've read (some were published in the local paper, many more in the monthly magazines of the Catholic and Evangelical parishes here) I've learnt that they .... would like to have some more freedom ... but they seem to see their freedom limited by the Israelians, not their own people.
Foxfyre

Reply Wed 1 Apr, 2009 10:10 am
@georgeob1,
I am certainly willing to look at the whole picture, yes. Has every action or initiative taken by the Israelis been honorable? No. But what nation can claim that for their own nation and therefore, can that fact be used to judge Israel as having no credibility or right to grievances?

There would be no occupation of the Golan Heights, Gaza, or the West Bank except for the efforts of the Arab world to kill or drive the Israelis out. And the fact remains that every single time Israel has given back any of that land, it has been used as a base to continue attacks against Israel.

I think the Palestinian sympathizers are going to have to admit to that fact and agree that it must be addressed and resolved before there can be honest dialogue about peaceful solutions.

I think that history is on Israel's side for evidence that those who choose to live in peace with Israel incur no hostilities from Israel.

So long as the conflict is judged by body count, regardless of who initiated the attacks, and as long as it is Israel who is expected and required to make all the concessions in the interest of peace, I will continue to think that Israel's position is the more defensible one logically, rationally, and morally.
Foxfyre

Reply Wed 1 Apr, 2009 10:32 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Yes Walter, with all due respect I think so.
georgeob1

Reply Wed 1 Apr, 2009 10:32 am
@Foxfyre,
Foxfyre, you are merely repeating the standard mantra. You have not addressed the very reasonable questions I posed to you.

Your statement that , ".. every time Israel has given back any of that land ..." directly implies that Israel owns the land by right of conquest. I'm willing to accept that principle for purposes of further examining the question. Do you also assert that in these occupied territories, which Israel owns by right of conquest, Israel has the right to subject the population of their territory to an extended (for decades) rule that provides no political rights whatever, and further denys them the basic human rights codified in the UN Charter and innumerable other international agreements and declarations?

Do you further assert (as it seems that you do) that the resistence of the Palestinian population to this continued oppression and violation of their human rights is sufficient cause for the continuation of the oppression that has arguably caused it?

Do you know beyond doubt that the cause of Palestinian resistence is hatred of Jews and the intent to kill them, and not merely hatred of the regime in Israel that treats them as lesser human beings than the Jews of Israel? Do you believe that a desire on the part of Palestinians for the destruction of that regime and perhaps its replacement by one that would treat both peoples equally is itself sufficient cause for the continued oppression of the Palestinains by the Israelis?

I don't doubt that there are some Palestinians who would drive out all the Jews of Israel if they could. There are as well some rather rabid Zionists who would do the same to the Palestinians. Moreover it can be argued that they are achieving far more success in their efforts than are their Palestinian counterparts. Do you believe it is fair, reasonable, or even remotely accurate to characterize all Palestinians by their most rabid minority and, at the same time characterize all Israelis by their most reasonable sounding apologists and propagandists?
Foxfyre

Reply Wed 1 Apr, 2009 10:34 am
@georgeob1,
George, I have immediate appointments and will need to delay my response until I attend to business here. I will address your points/questions/remarks when I return.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 1 Apr, 2009 10:41 am
@Foxfyre,
Foxfyre wrote:

Yes Walter, with all due respect I think so.

With due respect ... well, I'm not going to post what I origianally intended to do (obviously, being a Christian in Palestine and/or here is something totally different to what you live) but I'll be happy with your responses to George's questions.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 1 Apr, 2009 10:50 am
@Foxfyre,
Foxie wrote:
Quote:
There would be no occupation of the Golan Heights, Gaza, or the West Bank except for the efforts of the Arab world to kill or drive the Israelis out. And the fact remains that every single time Israel has given back any of that land, it has been used as a base to continue attacks against Israel.

This statement pretty much covers where Foxie is at on this issue; she has a very myopic view of who's right and who's wrong; all one-sided.

Never mind that the Israelis rob Palestinian land at will while not providing any legal rights to them. She's blinded by her own bigotry.

0 Replies

ican711nm

Reply Wed 1 Apr, 2009 01:56 pm
@georgeob1,
georgeob1 wrote:
Do you hold Israelis responsible for the actions of their elected governments since the 1967 War?

Yes!
Many of those actions deserve praise. Some deserve criticism.
The stealing of the West Bank from the Palestinian Arabs after the 1967 war, deserves praise. Deliberately killing Palestinian Arab non-murderers deserves criticism or worse.

The stealing of the West Bank deserves praise, because it was fair reparations for the pending 1967 attacks on Israel by the Palestinian Arabs and their allies. You might say that in the 1967 war, the Israelis attacked the Palestinian Arabs and their allies before they were themselves actually attacked. I believe that action deserves praise as a rational and responsible reaction to the massing of those troops whose leaders had repeatedly declared their intentions to attack Israel.

Now if the Palestinian Arabs were to declare their recognition of Israel's right to exist, AND at least try to stop Palestinian Arabs from trying to murder Israeli non-murderers, I would THEN AND ONLY THEN criticize Israel for not returning land given the Palestinian Arabs by the UN and stolen by the Israelis.
ican711nm

Reply Wed 1 Apr, 2009 02:05 pm
@ican711nm,
By the way, a people whose leaders threaten to, or actually do, make war on others forfeit their civil rights. For example, they forfeit their rights to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.
ican711nm

Reply Wed 1 Apr, 2009 03:11 pm
@ican711nm,
OOPS! CORRECTION
By the way, EXCEPT IN SELF DEFENSE a people whose leaders threaten to, or actually do, make war on others forfeit their civil rights. For example, they forfeit their rights to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Wed 1 Apr, 2009 03:46 pm
@georgeob1,
georgeob1 wrote:

Foxfyre, you are merely repeating the standard mantra.

When dealing with people who seem to see only one side of the conflict, those of us who can see two sides think the only hope remaining is to keep repeating the 'standard mantra' until it is at least acknowledged by the other side. Repetition until the lesson is learned is necessary in all good teaching. The lesson the pro-Israeli group hopes to teach is that as long as only one side is seen as the victim in the Israeli/Palestinian conflict, there will be no resolution, because the only resolution allowed is the extermination of Israel.

Quote:
You have not addressed the very reasonable questions I posed to you.

I thought I did, but I may not have been detailed or specific enough for it to be obvious.

Quote:
Your statement that , ".. every time Israel has given back any of that land ..." directly implies that Israel owns the land by right of conquest. I'm willing to accept that principle for purposes of further examining the question.

No, it does not clearly imply that Israel owns the land by right of conquest. I have never said that. I don't recall any of us on the pro-Israel side as ever saying that.

But it is common and sometimes necessary for the conqueror to occupy the enemy's land until the enemy stops being the enemy. Think Germany and Japan after WWII. Had Germany and/or Japan began resuming hostile activities upon withdrawal by the Allies, do you think the Allies would not have gone right back in? And after several repeats of that scenario, do you think the Allies would not become reluctant to so easily turn the territory back over to people who had repeatedly demonstrated that they were still the enemy? To people who were pledging their obedience and fealty to a leadership on record as intending destruction of the Allies? And in such a situation how much freedom of movement and generosity would the Allies heap on the people they were attempting to subdue to the point they were no longer a threat?

It is this situation that we are dealing with on a much smaller scale in the Israeli/Palestinian conflict. Every time Israel has returned any of the occupied territories, those territories have become bases for renewed attacks on Israel. Not much incentive for Israel to be conciliatory is it?

Quote:
Do you also assert that in these occupied territories, which Israel owns by right of conquest, Israel has the right to subject the population of their territory to an extended (for decades) rule that provides no political rights whatever, and further denys them the basic human rights codified in the UN Charter and innumerable other international agreements and declarations?

See my previous answer. And again, unless you are willing to see the Israelis side of it too--how many suicide bombers, saboteurs, etc. are tolerable?--there is no ground for discussion. Israel has no responsibility to people determined to kill Israelis. There is no evidence that Israel is discriminatory or denies human rights to anybody who is not trying to kill Israelis. Until the pro-Palestinian side is willing to at least realistically discuss that, there is no solution.

Quote:
Do you further assert (as it seems that you do) that the resistence of the Palestinian population to this continued oppression and violation of their human rights is sufficient cause for the continuation of the oppression that has arguably caused it?

Yes. So long as the Palestinian population--or the Palestinian leaders--seem to make the extermination of Israel as their mission in life--Israel has the right to oppress them as much as Israel can. When the Palestinians lay down their arms and stop trying to kill any Israeli they can, then Israel has ZERO justification for oppressing any Palestinians. Should the Palestinians declare peace and demonstrate by their actions that they mean it, if Israel continued discrimination and oppression of Palestinians, you will see me solidly on the Palestinian side of the debate.

Quote:
Do you know beyond doubt that the cause of Palestinian resistence is hatred of Jews and the intent to kill them, and not merely hatred of the regime in Israel that treats them as lesser human beings than the Jews of Israel? Do you believe that a desire on the part of Palestinians for the destruction of that regime and perhaps its replacement by one that would treat both peoples equally is itself sufficient cause for the continued oppression of the Palestinains by the Israelis
?

I don't know what anybody's motives are. Anybody is entitled to hate anybody he or she chooses and I frankly don't much care about that. I do care how people act out their hatred of others. The Arabs intended to exterminate the Israelis long before Israel had attacked or occupied anybody. The fact that the Arabs attempted to drive out Israel the year after the UN established it is what caused the first wave of Palestinian refugees. That wasn't Israel's action. The Palestinians could have set up their own state and lived in perfect peace with Israel from the beginning. They chose not to do that. That wasn't Israel's doing either. The Arabs who threaten Israel could have solved the Palestinian problem years ago by simply taking care of the Palestinians they accuse Israel of mistreating. They haven't done that either. In fact the Palestinian leadership steals the humanitarian supplies intended for the people and sells them for their own benefit. That isn't Israel's fault either.

Quote:
I don't doubt that there are some Palestinians who would drive out all the Jews of Israel if they could. There are as well some rather rabid Zionists who would do the same to the Palestinians. Moreover it can be argued that they are achieving far more success in their efforts than are their Palestinian counterparts. Do you believe it is fair, reasonable, or even remotely accurate to characterize all Palestinians by their most rabid minority and, at the same time characterize all Israelis by their most reasonable sounding apologists and propagandists?

I don't and never have characterized all Palestinians by their most rabid minority. I have read numerous accounts where Jews and Palestinians have been and are the best of friends. The 20% of Palestinian people who are Israeli citizens are prospering quite nicely and I'm pretty sure they have few complaints about their treatment. In my opinion, all the rest of Palestinian people have to do to get along with Israel is to stop trying to exterminate Israel. Unfortunately there is no way to distinguish a Palestinian terrorist from a farmer or sheep herder so the innocent are judged by the company they voluntarily or unvoluntarily keep.

Again as long as Israel is painted the big bad oppressive monster and the Palestinians as the weak minority who have no recourse but to resist as best as they can, the picture is hugely distorted. But that is too often the way the national debate goes. In 2001, Colin Powell pulled our delegates who walked out of the 2001 international conference on racism that seemed mostly focused on the most hateful language directed at Israel while giving a pass to those committing far less questionable policy.

And frankly, it is my opinion that so much hostility is directed at Israel, while so many others doing far worse are not singled out for such attention and condemnation, is because it is a land designated as a refuge for displaced Jews. Anti-Semitism is just as alive and well today as it has ever been.

Quote:
Israel was responsible for bringing about some of its own problems. The Arabs in the West Bank and Gaza Strip were packed and ready to leave following their 1967 defeat. Suddenly the victorious one-eyed IDF General Moshe Dayan persuaded them to stay. This singular act stunned no one more than the Arab enemy himself who could not believe such an incredible manifestation of Jewish madness! After all, the Arabs knew what THEY would have done to the Jews if they had won! Dayan's plan was to educate them, offer them modern medical treatment, provide them with employment both in the West Bank, Gaza AND inside Israel Proper itself ... living amongst each other in hopes of building bridges to the Arab world. Israel is now paying dearly for this typically naive "Leftist" gesture. That "bridge" led to two Intifadas and world-wide Arab-Palestinian terrorism. From a frightened and defeated enemy, these "Palestinian" Arabs under Israel's jurisdiction turned into a confident, hateful and dangerous enemy now on their way toward forming a terrorist state determined to destroy Israel!
http://www.masada2000.org/historical.html

Foxfyre

Reply Wed 1 Apr, 2009 03:54 pm
@Foxfyre,
Edit:
Amend this:
Quote:
Again as long as Israel is painted the big bad oppressive monster and the Palestinians as the weak minority who have no recourse but to resist as best as they can, the picture is hugely distorted. But that is too often the way the national debate goes. In 2001, Colin Powell pulled our delegates who walked out of the 2001 international conference on racism that seemed mostly focused on the most hateful language directed at Israel while giving a pass to those committing far less questionable policy.

to read: . . . ."2001 international conference on racism that seemed mostly focused the most hateful language directed at Israel while giving a pass to those commiting far MORE questionable policy."
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Wed 1 Apr, 2009 09:07 pm
@Foxfyre,
Foxfyre wrote:

No, it does not clearly imply that Israel owns the land by right of conquest. I have never said that. I don't recall any of us on the pro-Israel side as ever saying that.

But it is common and sometimes necessary for the conqueror to occupy the enemy's land until the enemy stops being the enemy. Think Germany and Japan after WWII. Had Germany and/or Japan began resuming hostile activities upon withdrawal by the Allies, do you think the Allies would not have gone right back in?

No I don't. However, if you wish to pursue the analogy then imagine that we immediately at the end of the war announced our intent to permanently occupy and fortify the territory along Germany's borders with neighboring states, and to systematically colonize German territory with alien people, extending these colonies to occupy a substantial fraction of German territory, isolating German territories in the process. Do you suppose that under these conditions the Germans would have ceased being our enemies? I don't think so.
Foxfyre wrote:

It is this situation that we are dealing with on a much smaller scale in the Israeli/Palestinian conflict. Every time Israel has returned any of the occupied territories, those territories have become bases for renewed attacks on Israel. Not much incentive for Israel to be conciliatory is it?
This is a false statement. Israel returned the Siani to Egypt in a peace arrangement with them more than twenty years ago. While relations with Egypt have become strained of late, both sides have rather scrupulously observed the terms of the treaty, and the Siani has NOT been used as a base for attacks on Israel.

Foxfyre wrote:

Quote:
Do you also assert that in these occupied territories, which Israel owns by right of conquest, Israel has the right to subject the population of their territory to an extended (for decades) rule that provides no political rights whatever, and further denys them the basic human rights codified in the UN Charter and innumerable other international agreements and declarations?

See my previous answer. And again, unless you are willing to see the Israelis side of it too--how many suicide bombers, saboteurs, etc. are tolerable?--there is no ground for discussion. Israel has no responsibility to people determined to kill Israelis. There is no evidence that Israel is discriminatory or denies human rights to anybody who is not trying to kill Israelis. Until the pro-Palestinian side is willing to at least realistically discuss that, there is no solution.
Again a throughly false statement demonstrably contrary to the facts. Israel has expropriated almost half of the territory of the West Bank and continues to hold it and expand the network of illegal settlements there - all while restricting the freedom of movement of the Palestinian population and retaining control of all their external borders; their air and water rights --- and doing so during an extended period of peace and non-violence from the population there.

Foxfyre wrote:

Quote:

Yes. So long as the Palestinian population--or the Palestinian leaders--seem to make the extermination of Israel as their mission in life--Israel has the right to oppress them as much as Israel can. When the Palestinians lay down their arms and stop trying to kill any Israeli they can, then Israel has ZERO justification for oppressing any Palestinians. Should the Palestinians declare peace and demonstrate by their actions that they mean it, if Israel continued discrimination and oppression of Palestinians, you will see me solidly on the Palestinian side of the debate.
Evidently you believe that if ANY Palestinians preach hate against Israel and/or call for its eradication, then Israel is entitled to retaliate against ALL Palestinians. The relative body counts in every year of this now forty plus year tragedy speak eloquently about the relative injuries inflicted on the parties in this conflict.

Again some very vocal Israelis call persistently for the continued expansion of Israel and the ethnic cleansing of the expanded territory. Moreover in their case it is actually happening - and has been going on continuously for decades, while the Palestinian threats have proved consistently illusory. It is odd that you don't consider this equivalent justification for Palestinian action.
Foxfyre wrote:

I don't know what anybody's motives are. Anybody is entitled to hate anybody he or she chooses and I frankly don't much care about that. I do care how people act out their hatred of others. The Arabs intended to exterminate the Israelis long before Israel had attacked or occupied anybody. The fact that the Arabs attempted to drive out Israel the year after the UN established it is what caused the first wave of Palestinian refugees. That wasn't Israel's action. The Palestinians could have set up their own state and lived in perfect peace with Israel from the beginning. They chose not to do that. That wasn't Israel's doing either. The Arabs who threaten Israel could have solved the Palestinian problem years ago by simply taking care of the Palestinians they accuse Israel of mistreating. They haven't done that either. In fact the Palestinian leadership steals the humanitarian supplies intended for the people and sells them for their own benefit. That isn't Israel's fault either.
I believe you are the victim of a very sanitized version of the real history of these events. Perhaps you should read about the actions of ther Hagana and the Stern gang - Zionist organizations that practiced systematic terrorism with respect to the palestinians in a deliberate attempt to drive them out of the territory they wanted. I'm not suggesting the Zionist settlers were solely to blame: rather that they were an element in the conflict from the very beginning.

Foxfyre wrote:

I don't and never have characterized all Palestinians by their most rabid minority.
Unfortunately you have done it many times and in this post as well.

Foxfyre wrote:

In my opinion, all the rest of Palestinian people have to do to get along with Israel is to stop trying to exterminate Israel. Unfortunately there is no way to distinguish a Palestinian terrorist from a farmer or sheep herder so the innocent are judged by the company they voluntarily or unvoluntarily keep.
See? You just did it again.

Foxfyre wrote:

And frankly, it is my opinion that so much hostility is directed at Israel, while so many others doing far worse are not singled out for such attention and condemnation, is because it is a land designated as a refuge for displaced Jews. Anti-Semitism is just as alive and well today as it has ever been

"Designated" by whom??? The UN Security Council, then dominated by the United States, the Soviet Union and the major European powers, all of whom had direct interests in finding a home for hundreds of thousands of wrongfully displaced Europeran Jews . The US & USSR were motivated by the desire to settle their post war affairs in Europe quickly, and the US also by an understandably aroused Jewish population horrified by what had occurred in Europe; and the European powers by the desire to avoid the social and legal problems associated with the return of their displaced Jewish victims. Unfortunately the Arabs and the Palestinians were involved in none of these crimes and worse, they weren't even consulted in the determination of a solution - and, as owners and inhabitants of the territory in question, they didn't consent to it..

Solving the historical problem of the oppression of Jews (mostly by Europeans) by transforming them in turn into the oppressors of Palestinians is not the solution to any problem, no matter how much supporters of a Jewish state in Israel wish it to be so. We have now seen almost sixty yerars of continuous oppression, reaction and war. History is fairly clear in illustrating how conflicts such as this can (and usually do) continue unabated for centuries.