ISRAEL - IRAN - SYRIA - HAMAS - HEZBOLLAH - WWWIII?

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 22 Aug, 2006 01:33 pm
Ticomaya wrote:

You have news to report?

No, still The Times' report (which quotes the manufacturer) is the latest.

As far as I've heard, Hague waits until the Foreign Office sends out the official answer.
0 Replies

blueflame1

Reply Tue 22 Aug, 2006 02:10 pm
Hezbollah minister: Lebanon might challenge Israeli blockade

By The Associated Press

BEIRUT - A Hezbollah Cabinet minister on Tuesday said the government may attempt to break the Israeli naval and air blockade of Lebanon by calling on ships and aircraft to travel to Lebanese ports without prior Israeli approval.

The government has condemned the blockade, saying it violates the UN cease-fire resolution, and the foreign minister Tuesday called on the international community to force Israel to end the blockade. The Cabinet met late Monday but did not publicly challenge to the blockade, although it called the siege one of Israel's "terrorist practices."

"Entry to Lebanon by sea and from air is a matter of sovereignty," Tarrad Hamadeh, minister of Labor said on Hezbollah television. Hamadeh, one of two Hezbollah Cabinet ministers, said the Lebanese "must be free to enter their country at will. We cannot accept the siege and blackmail."

http://www.haaretz.com/hasen/spages/753550.html
0 Replies

Advocate

Reply Tue 22 Aug, 2006 02:32 pm
Hezbollah's incursion over the Blue Line, the first time in the 6 years since Israel made its pullback, into Israel neatly corresponded with the deadline given Iran regarding their nuclear program. It was Iran's way of telling the world that squeezing Iran will cause big trouble.

Lebanon has a nerve complaining about Israel's violation of the UN resolution. The latter states that Hez will be disarmed and that Lebanese and international forces will take control over south Lebanon, which actions have not taken place.
0 Replies

blueflame1

Reply Tue 22 Aug, 2006 02:45 pm
VIDEO: Lebanese children victims of unexploded cluster bombs

David Edwards
Published: Tuesday August 22, 2006

CNN International's Jim Clancy, reporting from southern Lebanon, finds that unexploded munitions are taking a toll on Lebanese children.

A nurse describes the child casualties she sees as "the new phase of the war." Clancy reports that a 10% failure rate among the small bombs released from cluster bombs has left the unexploded--and extremely dangerous--munitions in Lebanon. The bombs dropped on Lebanon were reportedly old, with a much higher failure rate of about 40%.

In the wasteland of southern Lebanon, children gather up metal to sell. It's easy to mistake one of the small cluster bomb-lets for scrap. One child survivor recalls the bomb that put him in a hospital bed, "...my cousin picked up the bomb. It was shaped like a ball. It was an explosion. My insides fell out. I held them and started running and screaming."

Bomb search teams are scouring southern Lebanon but finding the "tens of thousands" of unexploded bombs will take time. Bombs that haven't already armed themselves can be easily destroyed but many others cannot even be touched. The bombs that are already armed can only be flagged and left for later.
http://www.rawstory.com/news/2006/VIDEO_Lebanese_children_victims_of_unexploded_0822.html
0 Replies

Advocate

Reply Tue 22 Aug, 2006 02:49 pm
Blue, thanks for one more story of misery resulting from Hez's aggression in Israel.
0 Replies

blueflame1

Reply Tue 22 Aug, 2006 03:03 pm
Advocate, spin away. You aint the only one excusing Israel's classic overkill and collective punishment. Cluster bombs are illegal too. Docters in Lebanon have proof Israel used WMD. A prisoner exchange would have been the more Jewish approach but that aint Israel's way.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 22 Aug, 2006 03:05 pm
Collective punishment also violates the Geneva Conventions.
0 Replies

BernardR

Reply Tue 22 Aug, 2006 03:25 pm
Advocate wrote:

Hezbollah's incursion over the Blue Line, the first time in the 6 years since Israel made its pullback, into Israel neatly corresponded with the deadline given Iran regarding their nuclear program. It was Iran's way of telling the world that squeezing Iran will cause big trouble.
Lebanon has a nerve complaining about Israel's violation of the UN resolution. The latter states that Hez will be disarmed and that Lebanese and international forces will take control over south Lebanon, which actions have not taken place.
END OF QUOTE.

I don' t know where Advocate gets these weird ideas. I have never read anything that agrees with this or can find any evidence that it is true!!

This is a LIE! It is untrue. I defy Advocate to show evidence that it is completely accurate!!
0 Replies

BernardR

Reply Tue 22 Aug, 2006 03:27 pm
I think Setanta missed this- So I will remind him--

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Well, if the supercilious Setanta can prove that my post from the edition of Encyclopedia Brittanica is incorrect or misstated I will apologise to him profusely. On the other hand, if he cannot , he must apologize to me, but since he is convinced that he has the world's wisdom( he does not have even one eleven billionth of it,) he will not not do so!!

Again, since it appears that Mr. Setanta is unable to read!!!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Encyclopedia Brittanica--Volume 6 Fifteenth Edition 1989

found under "Israel" P. 423

'THE OCCUPATION OF PALESTINE BY THE ISRAELITES( HEBREWS). TO WHOM THE AREA WAS KNOWN AS CANNAN, WAS PROBABLY COMPLETED BY THE END OF THE THIRTEENTH CENTURY-BC.

END OF QUOTE
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Tue 22 Aug, 2006 03:32 pm
BernardR wrote:
Advocate wrote:

END OF QUOTE.

I don' t know where Advocate gets these weird ideas. I have never read anything that agrees with this or can find any evidence that it is true!!

This is a LIE! It is untrue. I defy Advocate to show evidence that it is completely accurate!!

Which part do you think isn't accurate, Bernard?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 22 Aug, 2006 03:46 pm
Bernard - did you miss this ?

Walter Hinteler wrote:
BernardR wrote:
Really? I shall write to the Encyclopdia Brittanica forthwith! And when I mention that Setanta corrected them, they will shudder in fear and with foreboding and IMMEDIATELY CHANGE THEIR ARTICLE! LOL

Quote:

According to the Greek historian Herodotus, Necho began the construction of a canal from the Nile River to the Red Sea, probably in response to the growth of trade in the Egyptian Delta, but an oracle persuaded him to discontinue the project. A threat developed in Mesopotamia, where the Assyrian Empire was falling to the Babylonians. Necho ordered fleets to be built on the Mediterranean and Red seas, and with them he undertook a Syrian campaign in 608 BC to assist the battered Assyrian armies. When Josiah, king of Judah and an ally of the Neo-Babylonians, was slain in battle at Megiddo, Necho replaced Josiah's chosen successor with his own nominee and imposed tribute on Judah. In 606 the Egyptians routed the Neo-Babylonians, but at the great Battle of Carchemish (a Syrian city on the middle Euphrates River) in 605 the Neo-Babylonian crown prince, Nebuchadrezzar, soundly defeated Necho's troops and forced their withdrawal from Syria and Palestine. Egypt itself was threatened in 601, but Necho repelled the enemy and continued to promote anti-Babylonian coalitions in Syria and Palestine.

Herodotus also reports that Necho sent an expedition to circumnavigate Africa. His navigators apparently accomplished the feat, for they reported that, after a certain point in their voyage, the sun lay to their right (i.e., northward), as they sailed around southern Africa.

source: [size=26] Encyclopædia Britannica. 2006. Encyclopædia Britannica Premium Service. 21 Aug. 2006 http://www.britannica.com/eb/article-9055147.[/size]
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 22 Aug, 2006 03:48 pm
and this

Walter Hinteler wrote:
BernardR wrote:

l. The occupation of Palestine by the Isrealites( Hebrews) , to whom the area was know as Cannan, was probably completed by the end of the 13th Century BC

BernardR wrote:
Really? I shall write to the Encyclopdia Brittanica forthwith! And when I mention that Setanta corrected them, they will shudder in fear and with foreboding and IMMEDIATELY CHANGE THEIR ARTICLE! LOL

Quote:
The word Palestine derives from Philistia, the name given by Greek writers to the land of the Philistines, who in the 12th century BC occupied a small pocket of land on the southern coast, between modern Tel Aviv-Yafo and Gaza. The name was revived by the Romans in the 2nd century AD in "Syria Palaestina," designating the southern portion of the province of Syria, and made its way thence into Arabic, where it has been used to describe the region at least since the early Islamic era.
The name Palestine has long been in popular use as a general term to denote a traditional region, but this usage does not imply precise boundaries. The perception of what constitutes Palestine's eastern boundary has been especially fluid, although the boundary frequently has been perceived as lying east of the Jordan River, extending at times to the edge of the Arabian Desert. In contemporary understanding, however, Palestine is generally defined as a region bounded on the east by the Jordan River, on the north by the border between modern Israel and Lebanon, on the west by the Mediterranean Sea (including the coast of Gaza), and on the south by the Negev, with its southernmost extension reaching the Gulf of Aqaba. [...]

source:[size=28] "Palestine." Encyclopædia Britannica. 2006. Encyclopædia Britannica Premium Service. 21 Aug. 2006 http://www.britannica.com/eb/article-9108522.[/size]
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 22 Aug, 2006 03:50 pm
did you get a response from them yet?

Walter Hinteler wrote:
old europe wrote:
Possum wrote:
Really? I shall write to the Encyclopdia Brittanica forthwith!

We would be delighted if you could be so kind as to post a copy of your letter on this thread.

Thank you.

Just in case:

Britannica Customer Support
331 North La Salle Street
Chicago, IL 60610
USA

fon/fax: (800) 323-1229
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Tue 22 Aug, 2006 03:53 pm
blueflame1 wrote:
VIDEO: Lebanese children victims of unexploded cluster bombs

David Edwards
Published: Tuesday August 22, 2006

CNN International's Jim Clancy, reporting from southern Lebanon, finds that unexploded munitions are taking a toll on Lebanese children.

A nurse describes the child casualties she sees as "the new phase of the war." Clancy reports that a 10% failure rate among the small bombs released from cluster bombs has left the unexploded--and extremely dangerous--munitions in Lebanon. The bombs dropped on Lebanon were reportedly old, with a much higher failure rate of about 40%.

In the wasteland of southern Lebanon, children gather up metal to sell. It's easy to mistake one of the small cluster bomb-lets for scrap. One child survivor recalls the bomb that put him in a hospital bed, "...my cousin picked up the bomb. It was shaped like a ball. It was an explosion. My insides fell out. I held them and started running and screaming."

Bomb search teams are scouring southern Lebanon but finding the "tens of thousands" of unexploded bombs will take time. Bombs that haven't already armed themselves can be easily destroyed but many others cannot even be touched. The bombs that are already armed can only be flagged and left for later.
http://www.rawstory.com/news/2006/VIDEO_Lebanese_children_victims_of_unexploded_0822.html

If the bombs are UNEXPLODED,then nobody is being hurt by them.
Its when the bombs EXPLODE that people get hurt.
0 Replies

blueflame1

Reply Tue 22 Aug, 2006 03:53 pm
AMY GOODMAN: White House Press Secretary Tony Snow responding to reporter Helen Thomas's comments. Ralph Nader, beginning with his comment, when she asked about isn't this collective punishment, saying this is a Hezbollah response.

RALPH NADER: Well, of course, the history of this is not just two weeks old. In 1982, when Israel invaded Lebanon, violating all kinds of Geneva conventions and UN resolutions, the New York Times's Tom Friedman accused the Israeli military, actually reported, indiscriminate bombing in Beirut, and there were warships, Israeli shelling indiscriminately in Beirut. These are total war crimes, massive damage and death and destruction to innocent people.

The border between Israel and Lebanon involves raids of Israel, much more than Hezbollah, because of the more powerful factor. They still control large farm acreage, the Shebaa Farms, which are Lebanese soil. The Israelis have abducted Israeli civilians. They won't tell the United Nations or the Lebanese government the location for thousands of land mines in South Lebanon so they can be deactivated. And during the 18-year occupation of South Lebanon, itself illegal under international law from 1982 to the year 2000, Israel drew water, precious water, from the Litani and even took fertile topsoil back to Israel, and other plunders. So, you know, for Tony Snow to act like, well, you know, everything started with this attack by Hezbollah, which is basically an attack designed to provide for a prisoner exchange. This has happened numerous times over the Lebanese-Israeli border.
http://www.democracynow.org/article.pl?sid=06/07/20/1434256
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 22 Aug, 2006 03:56 pm
mysteryman wrote:

mm, I'm quite sure you, of all people, understand that bombs don't always go off when expected - and cause problems when they are detonated later on.

what the heck

enjoy your game
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Tue 22 Aug, 2006 03:59 pm
ehBeth wrote:
mysteryman wrote:

mm, I'm quite sure you, of all people, understand that bombs don't always go off when expected - and cause problems when they are detonated later on.

what the heck

enjoy your game

I dont deny that at all.

However,the claim was that people were being hurt by UNEXPLODED bombs.
No matter what happens first,the bomb must explode before anyone gets hurt by it,unless it hits you on the head when it falls from the plane.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Tue 22 Aug, 2006 03:59 pm
ehBeth wrote:
did you get a response from them yet?

Walter Hinteler wrote:
old europe wrote:
Possum wrote:
Really? I shall write to the Encyclopdia Brittanica forthwith!

We would be delighted if you could be so kind as to post a copy of your letter on this thread.

Thank you.

Just in case:

Britannica Customer Support
331 North La Salle Street
Chicago, IL 60610\

inserted by Dyslexia
Possum, we all await, with glee, your response. otherwise we will have to go by your lack of response as meaning you finally quit inane postings and go back to shoveling out the pig sty that you call your mind.

USA

fon/fax: (800) 323-1229
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 22 Aug, 2006 04:02 pm
mm, read the article, not the stupid title (and I mean stupid, literally)

Quote:
The bombs dropped on Lebanon were reportedly old, with a much higher failure rate of about 40%.

In the wasteland of southern Lebanon, children gather up metal to sell. It's easy to mistake one of the small cluster bomb-lets for scrap. One child survivor recalls the bomb that put him in a hospital bed, "...my cousin picked up the bomb. It was shaped like a ball. It was an explosion. My insides fell out.
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Tue 22 Aug, 2006 04:07 pm
ehBeth wrote:
mm, read the article, not the stupid title (and I mean stupid, literally)

Quote:
The bombs dropped on Lebanon were reportedly old, with a much higher failure rate of about 40%.

In the wasteland of southern Lebanon, children gather up metal to sell. It's easy to mistake one of the small cluster bomb-lets for scrap. One child survivor recalls the bomb that put him in a hospital bed, "...my cousin picked up the bomb. It was shaped like a ball. It was an explosion. My insides fell out.

I did read the article.
I was only responding to the stupidity of the title.

The editor should never have let that title pass.
0 Replies