Contradictions in the Bible...

timberlandko

Reply Wed 9 Aug, 2006 09:38 pm
real life wrote:
timberlandko wrote:
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof. No more extraordinary claim may be imagined than the existence of the supernatural. Despite incessent claim and assertion by the proposition's proponents, no proof thereof, extraordinary or otherwise, has been presented....

Your post indicates that you realize asking for natural proof of the supernatural would be absurd.

Another straw man - I asked nothing, I only observed that no proof, extraordinary or otherwise, has been presented by the proponents of the proposition. My post does not indicate or imply anything not stated therein; " ... Despite incessent claim and assertion by the proposition's proponents, no proof thereof, extraordinary or otherwise, has been presented ... " by those participating in this discussion or its like.

Quote:
What have you done to investigate the existence or non-existence of the supernatural (which proof you seem to indicate you would accept if it were possible to obtain, or if it was offered) ?

The question long has fascinated me, and I have over many years - several decades, in fact - given the matter considerable attention, ranging from incidental reading to diligent, objective study across a spectrum of disciplines involving a broad sampling of analysis, criticism, comparison, and history, including everything from original source material to the most recent of contemporary commentary, from unquestioning affirmative aplogetics to hateful, deranged, vituperative screed (of assorted points of view). Throughout this course of action, I've encountered no proof whatsoever, one way or the other, but have seen only claims and counter claims, preferences and prejudices, agendas and assumptions; much style, no substance.

How 'bout you - what have you done in such regard?

Quote:
(Let's keep in mind that any 'investigation' which purports to determine the existence of the supernatural, but is limited to naturalistic methods and assumptions, would be a sham.)

Quite. An apparent absurdity which evidently, which by self claim and by definition, is immune to, exempt from, objective, dispassionate, rational, empirical analysis itself perforce calls upon itself at the very most charitable the strongest of skepticism. I neither believe nor disbelieve, in the religious sense; I simply see nothing in religion and/or its appurtanences and baggage to believe or disbelieve.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Thu 10 Aug, 2006 07:31 am
timberlandko wrote:
Sorry, Neo, I did miss that. It mostlikely would have been Duetero Isaiah, writing in the latter half of the the 6th Century BCE, the period encompassing the fall of Babylon to Cyrus and the consequent return of the Jews from The Captivity, with some considerable indication of even later editing. It should be noted that while Cyrus indeed displaced the Babylonian regime resonsible for The Captivity, and returned the Jews to their homeland, Cyrus did not "tke" Babylon, the city was surrendered to Cyrus without a fight, Cyrus did not topple Babylon's gods, but rather embraced them, and that Babylon never was destroyed, it merely withered following the post-Alexandrine transfer of power and influence to Seleucia. Well into the 1st Century CE, the city, though greatly diminished in comparison to former glory and perhaps barely qualifying to be termed a city rather than a town or even village, was a regional center of commerce and minor administration, with habitation - diminishing to be sure, but habitation none the less - continuing into the 7th Century CE. . . .
So it became a wasteland long after the prophecy was written. . .

Correct?
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Thu 10 Aug, 2006 07:55 am
In the beginning...what was before that?
0 Replies

EpiNirvana

Reply Thu 10 Aug, 2006 08:58 am
supposedly god and water....

1 In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth.
2 Now the earth was [a] formless and empty, darkness was over the surface of the deep, and the Spirit of God was hovering over the waters.
Genisis 1: 1-2
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Thu 10 Aug, 2006 11:09 am
neologist wrote:

Correct?

Not even a nice try, Neo, just a desperate stretch - c'mon, now - you know better than that.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Thu 10 Aug, 2006 11:37 am
timberlandko wrote:
neologist wrote:

Correct?

Not even a nice try, Neo, just a desperate stretch - c'mon, now - you know better than that.
Not really. You have objected to all the prophetic statements contained in Isaiah relating to fulfillments prior to 300 B.C.E. based on the multiple Isaiah dream. I gave you just one example of a fulfillment that could not have been written post hoc. There are more, of course, but this one cannot be argued.

You could, of course, call it a coincidence. In which case I will provide a few more.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Thu 10 Aug, 2006 12:35 pm
Actually, Neo, not much point thumpin' on this horse - its dead. I know, and respect, where you're commin' from, and have a pretty good idea why - I just can't by the central preimse from which depends the entire proposition; religion in general, Abrahamic or otherwise, makes little to no sense to me - shows me nothing but wishful thinking, assumptions, fear, superstition, and logical inconsistencies.

Prophecy in general, biblical or otherwise, never has been demonstrated conclusively to be else or other than coincidence, happenstance, and/or generalization of such broad application as to fit damned near any circumstance post facto. Some folks have "need to believe", some folks don't.

Some folks find insurmountably contra-indicative the myriad disputes centered on religion - "which religion is the True Religion", "which Bible is The Real Bible", which of the many conflicting interpretations and/or understandings of scripture, Abrahamic and otherwise, is "The Correct Meaning" - in short, how could a "Divinely Revealed Truth", should there be such a thing, be not universally known, understood, and accepted? That religion is and always has been subject to dispute and conflict, up to and including the most abominable of violent prejudice, the central premise simply does not hold up to objective, dispassionate, impartial, critical scrutiny.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Thu 10 Aug, 2006 12:52 pm
timber-

What do you think of the idea that Psalm 46 has a Shakespeare fingerprint in it?
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Thu 10 Aug, 2006 12:52 pm
Evidence is not evidence unless it agrees with the conclusion. Understood.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Thu 10 Aug, 2006 12:55 pm
spendius wrote:
timber-

What do you think of the idea that Psalm 46 has a Shakespeare fingerprint in it?

Nothing.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Thu 10 Aug, 2006 01:52 pm
That's an odd answer in view of-

Quote:
The question long has fascinated me, and I have over many years - several decades, in fact - given the matter considerable attention, ranging from incidental reading to diligent, objective study across a spectrum of disciplines involving a broad sampling of analysis, criticism, comparison, and history, including everything from original source material to the most recent of contemporary commentary, from unquestioning affirmative aplogetics to hateful, deranged, vituperative screed (of assorted points of view).

so I suppose you mean you think nothing of the idea that there's a Skakespeare fingerprint in Psalm 46 rather than you think nothing at all about that particular aspect of Biblical scholarship.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Thu 10 Aug, 2006 02:53 pm
spendi, while little of what you offer merits serious response, forwarding that ludicrous "Shakespeare in the Bible" meme is a new low even for you.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Thu 10 Aug, 2006 03:08 pm
timberlandko wrote:
. . . The question long has fascinated me, and I have over many years - several decades, in fact - given the matter considerable attention, ranging from incidental reading to diligent, objective study across a spectrum of disciplines involving a broad sampling of analysis, criticism, comparison, and history, including everything from original source material to the most recent of contemporary commentary, from unquestioning affirmative aplogetics to hateful, deranged, vituperative screed (of assorted points of view). Throughout this course of action, I've encountered no proof whatsoever, one way or the other, but have seen only claims and counter claims, preferences and prejudices, agendas and assumptions; much style, no substance. . .
I can certainly understand why you have rejected religion, considering its record of bloodshed and oppression. But if the Genesis account of Eden is correct, we may expect God's opposer to use every means available to obfuscate the truth, including the establishment of uncountable religious dead ends. That you have apparently researched them all, while it is a testimony to your diligence, in no way excludes the truth you may have overlooked.
0 Replies

megamanXplosion

Reply Thu 10 Aug, 2006 06:03 pm
neologist wrote:
timberlandko wrote:
. . . The question long has fascinated me, and I have over many years - several decades, in fact - given the matter considerable attention, ranging from incidental reading to diligent, objective study across a spectrum of disciplines involving a broad sampling of analysis, criticism, comparison, and history, including everything from original source material to the most recent of contemporary commentary, from unquestioning affirmative aplogetics to hateful, deranged, vituperative screed (of assorted points of view). Throughout this course of action, I've encountered no proof whatsoever, one way or the other, but have seen only claims and counter claims, preferences and prejudices, agendas and assumptions; much style, no substance. . .

I can certainly understand why you have rejected religion, considering its record of bloodshed and oppression. But if the Genesis account of Eden is correct, we may expect God's opposer to use every means available to obfuscate the truth, including the establishment of uncountable religious dead ends. That you have apparently researched them all, while it is a testimony to your diligence, in no way excludes the truth you may have overlooked.

What makes you believe the Genesis account is correct? The only thing that is accurate about the story is that there was a landmass where it sayed it would be found. (It is now covered over by water--one would expect the Bible, if the authors were indeed inspired and could foretell the future, to make a reference to such an event due to the value of such information but it doesn't.) The theory of evolution makes it blatantly clear that humanity did not begin by two people of which one was made of dirt and the other a dirty rib. One would have to be fairly unknowledgable of the archaeological and paleontological record and radiocarbon dating to not accept the the basic truth of the theory of evolution. We are clearly the descendents of the Cro Magnons--another example of where the Bible possibly could have authenticated itself just by a mere mentioning. The completely inaccurate order of appearance of certain animals--we know reptiles and insects appeared before birds and whales--is another indicator that the writers were not inspired and had absolutely no idea what they were writing about. The mere idea of snakes with legs talking to people should ring the alarm that is firmly placed on every BS-meter.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Thu 10 Aug, 2006 07:19 pm
Neo, I sure as hell ain't " ... researched them all ... " - doubt that's even possible Laughing
0 Replies

real life

Reply Fri 11 Aug, 2006 08:03 am
megamanXplosion wrote:
neologist wrote:
timberlandko wrote:

What makes you believe the Genesis account is correct? The only thing that is accurate about the story is that there was a landmass where it sayed it would be found. (It is now covered over by water--one would expect the Bible, if the authors were indeed inspired and could foretell the future, to make a reference to such an event due to the value of such information but it doesn't.) The theory of evolution makes it blatantly clear that humanity did not begin by two people of which one was made of dirt and the other a dirty rib. One would have to be fairly unknowledgable of the archaeological and paleontological record and radiocarbon dating to not accept the the basic truth of the theory of evolution. We are clearly the descendents of the Cro Magnons--another example of where the Bible possibly could have authenticated itself just by a mere mentioning. The completely inaccurate order of appearance of certain animals--we know reptiles and insects appeared before birds and whales--is another indicator that the writers were not inspired and had absolutely no idea what they were writing about. The mere idea of snakes with legs talking to people should ring the alarm that is firmly placed on every BS-meter.

Actually there is an interesting line of scientific investigation concerning the descent of all living human beings from one woman. This would not be inconsistent with the Biblical record in Genesis, would it?
0 Replies

Wolf ODonnell

Reply Fri 11 Aug, 2006 08:46 am
real life wrote:
Actually there is an interesting line of scientific investigation concerning the descent of all living human beings from one woman. This would not be inconsistent with the Biblical record in Genesis, would it?

I know which woman you're talking about, and may I remind you that even then, real, that woman would not have been alone. There would have been countless others of her kind. To suggest otherwise would be foolish.

Why?

Why don't I seal you off with one woman and see how well your lineage does if you can only reproduce with your own offspring? We'll come back in say, a thousand years time and see how you go.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Fri 11 Aug, 2006 09:02 am
rl demonstrates once again the ID-iot ploy of acontextually excerpting from science only sufficient information as may be construed in such dishonest manner as to wrongfully imply scientific validation of some one or another of his proposition's ludicrous absurdities. By the evidence amassed over the years, any effort to actually educate ID-iots is pointless; incapable of recognizing, let alone acknowledging and proactively addressing, the mounting embarrassment they heap upon their proposition, they adamantly persevere in ignorance, denial, and superstition. The greater the attention they manage to gain for themselves, the more they serve to discredit and further marginalize their luddite, medeival-minded proposition.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Fri 11 Aug, 2006 09:12 am
Wolf_ODonnell wrote:
real life wrote:

I know which woman you're talking about, and may I remind you that even then, real, that woman would not have been alone. There would have been countless others of her kind. To suggest otherwise would be foolish.

Why?

Why don't I seal you off with one woman and see how well your lineage does if you can only reproduce with your own offspring? We'll come back in say, a thousand years time and see how you go.

So from an evolutionary perspective, when the 'first' human diverged from his/her primate ancestors, how many were there?

One, right? And all subsequent human evolution built upon that divergence, right?

Unless you are going to argue that humans 'evolved' multiple times independently of one another from primate populations.

Then those somehow got together.........because if they didn't get together, you're STILL starting with just one from whichever line you claim survived and thrived.

So evolution would have to postulate that AT EACH STEP along the way, each new species of all organisms counts all of it's subsequent descendants from one original, right?
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Fri 11 Aug, 2006 09:37 am
real life wrote:
So evolution would have to postulate that AT EACH STEP along the way, each new species of all organisms counts all of it's subsequent descendants from one original, right?

Wrong. Mitochondrial DNA archaoesequencing provides only a mathematical model demarcating a hypothetical proto-ancestor possessed of mitochondrial DNA fully consistent with that found in contemporary populations, irrespective other other genetic markers which may or may not have proceeded to express intact downline. That hypothetical proto-ancestor would have been not an actual individual but rather would indicate the point from which subsequent generations deriving from the subject population uniformly bore the same traits as had been bred into the hypothetical proto-ancestor, without regard to other traits which may or may not have been passed down or may have been subsequently developed.

I fully expect its useless to expect you might grasp the meaning of This
0 Replies